Magical metals in AD&D?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

What metals exist in Forgotten Realms setting? Are there 'magical' ones similar to Tolkien's mithril? I was writing weapon description for a magical spear of Celestial origin and though that the head could be made of something other than ordinary steel (assuming that there are other options).
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#2 Cantrip

Cantrip

the Scholar

• 325 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:42 AM

What metals exist in Forgotten Realms setting? Are there 'magical' ones similar to Tolkien's mithril? I was writing weapon description for a magical spear of Celestial origin and though that the head could be made of something other than ordinary steel (assuming that there are other options).

View Post

You have Mithral, which is tougher and is lighter.
You have Adamantine,which is harder than diamonds, yet weighs the same as metal.
You have Blue Ice, which has the same hardiness and heat resistance as metal, but always remains cool to the touch.
You have Cold Iron, which effects fey and fiends better.
You can coat a weapon with alchemical silver, which is like silver (affects werebeasts).

Edited by Cantrip, 17 June 2005 - 09:45 AM.

"A hot iron, though blunt, will pierce sooner than a cold one, though sharper."

Some great webcomics:
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php
http://www.giantitp..../ootscript?SK=1

#3 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:15 AM

Sounds like what I was looking for. Do you (or anyone else) have more detailed information about it?

Thank you. :)
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#4 Cantrip

Cantrip

the Scholar

• 325 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:30 AM

Sounds like what I was looking for. Do you (or anyone else) have more detailed information about it?

Thank you. :)

View Post

Here: :)
http://www.d20srd.or...ls.htm#ironCold
"A hot iron, though blunt, will pierce sooner than a cold one, though sharper."

Some great webcomics:
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php
http://www.giantitp..../ootscript?SK=1

#5 Tydirium

Tydirium
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:17 PM

Some of that is changed from 2nd edition, or slightly off.

Mithral is Tolkien's mithril, just given a different spelling for copyright purposes.

Cold iron isn't actually a different type of iron, it's just ordinary iron that has been cold-wrought or cold-forged instead of hot-forged. Reference: Planescape - Monstrous Compendium Appendix 1. Specifically, the discussion on elemental vulnerabilities w/ regards to celestial and fiendish races.

As for alchemical silver, it's the process itself that is magical/alchemical, and keeps it on the weapon. Not the metal. In a similar vein, you'll find silver-inlaid weapons that have the same abilities vs. silver-vulnerable creatures but don't even require the alchemy.

Also, you might come across references to adamantite. That's not a metal, it's the ore that adamantine (not the same stuff as adamantium such as that in Marvel Comics or WH40K) is refined from.

Nobody's mentioned meteoric iron/steel, which is generally metal refined from ore derived from meteors, and is both generally stronger/harder and has more tensile strength, and can have all sorts of interesting properties.

For actual, inherently magical metals, you'll largely have to look to other settings or fantasy literature. Offhand, the Baatezu make a type of green steel, and there are a number of magical metals in LotR, such as ithildin.

The best source for Realms-specific stuff like this is probably 2E's Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. Unfortunately, I don't have my copy here or I could look it up for you.

#6 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:28 AM

This is such an interesting thread. WHat about illithium (sp?) that PC tried to obtain in BG2? Is it a magical metal? Also I think BG2 uses the 'star-fall ore' at some point or another, so I assume that's the meteoric iron you were speaking about.

#7 -Stranger-

-Stranger-

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:05 AM

There are all sorts of exotic metals that are used in weapon and armorsmithing, though cold iron is the proverbial 'silver bullet' when it comes to dealing with demonic and diabolic creatures.
There is Dlarun (or Icesteel), which is a white metal, similar in appearance to ivory. It's ore comes from clay along riverbanks and is highly malleable but can be used for armor and weapons after undergoing two tempering processes. Icesteel armor grants a small resistance to fire and weapons made from it inflict cold damage. It has the same density and hardness (if it has been properly forged) as normal steel.
Solanian Truesteel might be of interest to you, though it is specific to the D&D cosmology, its ore being mined on the 4th layer of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia (though you could change that to a Celestial Plane in the Realms). It is described as a fine iron that needs no alloy and shines with a silvery gleam. For game purposes it gives hits a better chance of being critical ones. It's slightly harder than normal steel (This one's description kind of bothers me though... steel being an alloy of iron and carbon).
You could always come up with a new metal/alloy for your spearhead. Creating a background story for it would give the weapon more depth.

WHat about illithium

I've been curious about that myself, though I haven't seen a reference to it anywhere outside of BGII. I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't something the game designers made up.

#8 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:18 AM

[ though it is specific to the D&D cosmology, its ore being mined on the 4th layer of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia (though you could change that to a Celestial Plane in the Realms).

View Post

In 2nd Edition D&D (which is of course the edition BG2 uses), the Forgotten Realms + related settings (Kara-Tur, Al Qadim, etc), Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Planescape, etc all use the same cosmology. The Realms and Draonglance cosmologies were invented for 3rd Edition.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 18 June 2005 - 09:19 AM.

#9 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:35 AM

Very few of these fictional metals are magical in of themselves.

That discription of cold iron must be D20 specific. In all previous editions of D&D/AD&D cold iron was simply cold-forged iron, as in plain iron that was not heated to be forged, but was beaten into shape while at room temperature (wich is the realworld definition of cold-forging). I prefer this older definition because it makes cold iron somewhat obtainable in lower powered or low-mid magic campaigns where the material is actually useful.

#10 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:20 AM

The best source for Realms-specific stuff like this is probably 2E's Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.

View Post

Which is available as a (legal) free download here.

#11 Arachnos

Arachnos
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:40 AM

The best source for Realms-specific stuff like this is probably 2E's Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.

View Post

Which is available as a (legal) free download here.

View Post

I believe Magic of Faerun for 3E gives details on magical materials as well..

#12 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:25 AM

Very few of these fictional metals are magical in of themselves.

That discription of cold iron must be D20 specific. In all previous editions of D&D/AD&D cold iron was simply cold-forged iron, as in plain iron that was not heated to be forged, but was beaten into shape while at room temperature (wich is the realworld definition of cold-forging). I prefer this older definition because it makes cold iron somewhat obtainable in lower powered or low-mid magic campaigns where the material is actually useful.

View Post

There's also adherants that "cold iron" be not only cold-forged, but not smelted from iron ore. In some parts of Europe, there's areas where "Bog Iron" develop. Basically, it's an iron nugget. Since this never had to be smelted from ore, it was thought to have special properties, etc... Try a google search on it if you're still curious, I don't have my links handy I'm afraid.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#13 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

Other Forgotten Realms metals:

Arandur: an ore originally worked only by gnomes, but now also used by eleven smiths. Extremely difficult to forge (it requires the blood of a red or blue dragon!), it helps a blade retain its sharpness even when abused. As such, it's often used in the creation of vorpal swords.

Darksteel: a secret dwarven alloy, which is similar to adamantine though not quite as effective. Essentially a lighter version of ordinary steel, it is exceptionally easy to enchant an item made of this material. It also absorbs and harmlessly disipates lightning (natural or magical) and electrical energy.

Dlarun: derived from a certain type of clay, this metal is mainly used by halflings, who try to keep it a secret from other races (a relatively easy task due to its strong resemblance to ivory). Its weak strength mean it's usually used to adorn items made of stronger materials, but it has excellent mental protection properties, granting a +1 bonus to saving throws vs. enchantment/charm and illusion/phantasm spells.

Gold: though it's obviously not magical in nature, it's none-the-less one of the most conductive metals ofmagical energies. In effect, if you want to enchant an item, you'll find it far easier to achieve this with gold than almost any metal.

Hizagkuur: mainly used by dwarves, it reflects all magic cast at it 100%. It is very difficult (not to mention extremely dangerous) to use it as armour, since it also does 2d12 electrical damage whenever a being touches it.

Silver: as with gold it's not an essentially magical material, but it is useful for creating items with particular types of enchantments, namely those which involve magics relating to the moon, electricity or pure arcane energy (such as magic missiles).

Telstang: originally known only be the gnomes, it's now also used by a few halflings, elves and orcs... though the gnomes still try to prevent anyone else from learning of it. It's unsuitable for use in weapons or armor, but it is good for bracers, buckes, brooches, pendants, and so on. An item made of Telstang provides its wearer with complete immunity to state-altering effects, be they positive or negative (so things like paralyzation, polymorphing, disintegration, petrification, shape changing, water breathing and spider climbing).

Zardazik: an extremely soft metal, and thus only useful if alloyed with other metals. It has an extremely unique propery: after the first time it wounds a specific creature, it will from then on pass straight through that creature as if it doesn't exist. A person will often harm himself with the weapon, and then place the weapon inside his body - the perfect hidden weapon! Of course he will need some means to prevent the weapon from simply sliding straight through him; attaching a simple piece of string or leather cord will usually suffice.

Incidentally, dwarves know of a special treatment (called "everbright") for metallic blades which prevents any tarnishing, discolouration, rusting or corrosion. Searching for a dwarf who knows of this treatment could be an interesting quest for a BG1 mod, since it would have obvious immediately useful applications :).

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 21 June 2005 - 11:03 AM.

#14 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:24 AM

Hizagkuur - The Actual Robe of Reflection? Would make the challenge even greater.