Photo

Ring of Gaxx

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrael

Tyrael
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:40 PM

I'm wondering if there is any book or somewhere where I can find 3rd edition (or 3.5) for the Ring of Gaxx. I found it on the magic enciclopedya vol 3, but it is for 2nd edition. Is there anywhere I can fiind it? :ermm:

#2 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:17 AM

It is doubtful that it has made its way into 3E, especially considering that the 2E P&P version is a horribly cursed item. It was probably made for a specific adventure or other product, too.

-Echon

#3 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:03 AM

It should not be hard to convert.

#4 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:16 PM

I don't remember stats offhand, but I think practically the only similarity between the BG and PnP items is the name.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#5 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:56 PM

Your memory is accurate.

#6 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:19 PM

I don't remember stats offhand, but I think practically the only similarity between the BG and PnP items is the name.

View Post

In P&P it slowly turns you into some dreadful creature.

-Echon

#7 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

[/quote]

In P&P it slowly turns you into some dreadful creature.

-Echon
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

Tht's right, in AD&D it has some random effecs as you turn the gem, but it will quickly turn you into monster with horns and a tail. :devil:
I guess I will have to convert it into 3rd edition, then. But i'm so lazy :unsure:

#8 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:26 PM

Actually, it would be almost worth to make these changes to the BG2 version... it could become a most interesting (although less useful) item that way. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#9 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:09 AM

Actually, it would be almost worth to make these changes to the BG2 version... it could become a most interesting (although less useful) item that way. :rolleyes:

View Post

Can someone post a copy of the original rules/description?
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#10 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

I don't know if it is appropriate for Kangaxx to have the Ring of Gaxx if it is converted to its pnp abilities - I will have a look in some handbooks later and see if I can find it.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#11 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:39 AM

Who is Gaxx? I guess he has nothing to do with Kangaxx?
Some official info on both of them would be appreciated! ;)
Posted Image

#12 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:44 AM

Most likely the Ring of Gaxx was named after Gary Gygax :).

As for powers:

Any two of the following healing abilities:
- constantly provide the user with the benefits of accelerated healing
- cast aid (5/day)
- cast breath of life (1/week)
- render one creature immune to specific disease or poison by touch (1/week)
- cast cure blindness or deafness (3/day)
- cast cure criticial wounds (2/day)
- cast cure disease (3/day)
- cure insanity or restore the mind of one affected by feeblemind or similar spells (1/week)
- cast cure light wounds (7/day)
- cast cure serious wounds (3/day)
- purge from a body the effects of any drug, including drukenness, by touch (1/day)
- cast heal (1/day)
- grant the user the power to heal as per the paladin's ability to lay on hands
- restore hit points to the user by draining 1d6 points from every other creature within 10'. The drained points are added to the user's but cannot exceed the original hit point total
- cast neutralize poison (3/day)
- cast raise dead (1/week)
- cast regenerate (1/week)
- place a creature in stasis, halting all further decay and damage. The inert body is immune to gases, fire, cold, or lack of oxygen, but can still be harmed by physical attacks. Damage from these attacks is subtracted immediately, but death does not occur until the stasis is lifted. No further damage effects the body but all damage suffered and poisons still in the system continue their normal course as soon as the stasis is ended. Only willing targets can be placed in stasis and the effect lasts 1 week or until the user of the artifact cancels it. Those in stasis are completely inert, including all mental and psionic powers (1/day)
- case all healing spells applied to the user to be doubly effective
- erase scars and other disfigurements caused by battle (at will)

Any two of the following movement abilities:
- cast air walk (2/day)
- cast blink (3/day)
- cast dimensional folding (1/day)
- imbue the user with double the normal overland movement rate as long as the artifact is in hand
- cast flame walk (3/day)
- cast fly (2/day)
- cast free action (1/day)
- cast haste (1/day)
- cast jump (5/day)
- cast pass without trace (3/day)
- cast passwall (1/day)
- cast rainbow bridge (1/day)
- cast shadow walk (1/day)
- cast spider climb (3/day)
- cast teleport without error (1/day)
- cast transport via plants (3/day)
- cast water walk (5/day)
- cast wind walk (1/day)
- cast word of recall (1/day)
- cast wraiform (1/day)

Any two of the following offensive abilities:
- cast age creature (1/day)
- cast bigby's crushing hand (1/day)
- fire a black beam of death that causes 2d8 points of damage to any creature successfully hit. The beam's range is 100 yards (5/day)
- cast cause critical wounds (1/day)
- cast chain lightning (1/day)
- cast claws of the umber hulk (1/day)
- inflict an equal amount of damage upon any creature that inflicts non-spell damage upon the user
- cast distintegrate (1/week)
- cast finger of death (1/week)
- cast fireball (1/day)
- cast flame strike (1/day)
- cast lightning bolt (1/day)
- cast mindshatter (1/day)
- cast power word, blind (1/day)
- cast power word, stun (1/day)
- cast power word, kill (1/week)
- cast shapechange (1/week)
- cast suffocate (1/week)
- cast vanish (1/week)
- cast weid (1/week)

Any 1 of the following protection abilities:
- grant an AC bonus of 2 to the user when held
- function as a ring of protection +2 when held
- cast anti-magic shell (1/day)
- cast anti-plant shell (2/day)
- cast armor upon any creature the artifact touches (5/day)
- protect the user constantly with the effects of a featherfall spell
- cast fire shield (1/day)
- generate a sphere of forbidance, 15' radius, centred on the artifact. This forbiddance is not permanent, having a duration of only 2d6 hours. It can be password locked, however (1/week)
- have mind blank constantly in effect as long as the artifact is in hand
- have negative plane protection constantly in effect as long as the artifact is in hand
- have non-detection constantly in effect as long as the artifact is in hand
- have protection from normal missiles constantly in effect as long as the artifact is in hand
- have protection from lightning constantly in effect as long as the artifact is in hand
- have protection from fire constantly in effect as long as the artifact is in hand
- have protection from paralysis constantly in effect as long as the artifact is in hand
- have shield in effect when the artifact is boldly presented (5/day)
- cast thief's lament on any nonliving item of chest size or smaller by touch. The effect is permanent (1/week)
- cast unceasing vigilance of the holy sentinel (1/week)
- cast undead ward upon a 100' x 100' cube. The dead are turned as if by an 18th level priest (1/week)
- cast zone of truth (1/week)

Curse: Once the ring is worn for more than 48 continuous hours, it begins to transform the wearer (over the next 96 hours) into a create of unknown origin. A thick pair of horns grows 2 inches above the ears; the skin hardens into thick scales, providing a natural AC of 5. The eyes develop infravision (90 feet) and daylight becomes painful (-2 penalty to attack roles). The lower canines extend an inch beyond the lips. Horn and bite attacks are possible, inflicting 1d4/1d4/1d6 points of damage.

To reverse an incomplete transformation, the ring must be removed for a number of hours equal to the number worn. However, once the change is complete, it is permanent. The wearer now needs the ring to survive - without it death occurs within 72 hours.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 22 June 2005 - 07:27 AM.

#13 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:05 AM

I suspect its a typo - afterall, it isn't the Ring of Kangaxx, it's the Ring of Gaxx.

#14 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:30 AM

The Ring of Gaxx is listed in my AD&D 1st ed. Dungeon Masters guide. I don't have it to hand, but from memory it is described as a black ring with a mulitfaceted gem that turns. Turning the gem causes different effects depending on the facet. When not worn the ring sets itself to a random facet. No mention of a horrible horned creature.

Hey! Great slogan: "The Ring of Gaxx. It makes you horny!". :)

@ Aristohenes: A typo? I doubt Kangaxx was named because of a typo...

The_Swordalizer

#15 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:37 AM

You miss my point - I'm saying it was named the ring of Gaxx because there was a certain cachet, mystique, "teh COOL, NOOB!" as they say.
They might have gotten away with the "Ring of Kangaxx", until some smart guy said "Why not Ring of Gaxx? It appears elsewhere, fanboys would recognize it, and it gives the impression, that we're you know, deep into this D&D stuff eventhough we break the rules here and there, change the maps and people so they don't match and have a plot without continuity"

#16 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:44 AM

They might have gotten away with the "Ring of Kangaxx", until some smart guy said "Why not Ring of Gaxx? It appears elsewhere, fanboys would recognize it, and it gives the impression, that we're you know, deep into this D&D stuff eventhough we break the rules here and there, change the maps and people so they don't match and have a plot without continuity"

That just might be the case here...
Posted Image

#17 The Leveler

The Leveler
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:01 AM

The ring of Gaxx is in 3rd ed. Its in the Epic Level Handbook. You roll 1d10 to dtermine which power you get, each one lasting a day before you roll again.
1. Immune to disease
2. Need no air to survive
3. +5 Natural Armor bonus
4. Low-light vision
5. Fast Healing 1
6. Fly at will
7. Cold res. 30
8. Freedom of Movement
9. +5 resistance bonus to saves
10. You may select which facet is active.
You can, as a full round action make DC 50 Concentration Check to change the facet. Attempting to do so deals 2d6 points of subdual. If the ring is removed, it deals 2d6 points of subdual every minute until it is replaced or it knocks you out, but it resumes once you regain conciousness.

#18 The Leveler

The Leveler
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:04 AM

Oh yeah. Image is at... http://www.wizards.c...d_ag_20020726a3

#19 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:51 AM

So.. it's a coinicidence that Kangaxx and Gaxx are similar?
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#20 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:03 AM

So.. it's a coinicidence that Kangaxx and Gaxx are similar?

Yeh, thats what I asked a few posts back.

Oh yeah. Image is at...

Actually, it looks quite poor - one would expect somewhat grander - I mean come on, this looks likes a RL Casio watch.. :D
Posted Image