Truesword of Arvoreen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:32 PM

It looks like the mod is going to conflict with the NPC Kitpack slightly. Having already made a Truesword kit I thought I'd share.

TRUESWORD OF ARVOREEN: Arvoreen is the nearest thing to a halfling war god. He is a god of stern defence and aggressive watchfulness, who is always preparing for incursions into halfling lands and making ready to repulse hostile creatures at the first sign of trouble. Arvoreen is venerated primarily by halfling fighters.

Warriors that enter the church of Arvoreen, and prove themselves worthy, are risen to the rank of Truesword. Trueswords are the protectors and defenders of Halfling communities. They mount regular patrols, always investigating the slightest hint of a threat. Many Trueswords regularly adventure to gain magical weapons and defensive items of all kinds.

Trueswords of Arvoreen must be halflings of Lawful Good, Neutral Good, or Lawful Neutral alignment.

Advantages:
- Can Lay On Hands (heals 1 hit point per level) once per day
- Can cast Detect Evil once per day
- From level 3 can cast Strength once per day
- From level 5 can Invoke Courage for 1 turn once per day per level
- From level 7 can cast Glyph of Warding once per day
- From level 9 can cast Strength of One once per day
- From level 11 can cast Haste (on themselves only) once per day
- From level 14 can cast Champion's Strength once per day

Disadvantages:
- May only progess above proficiency in short swords, short bows and slings

#2 Snowking

Snowking

Asylum Escapee

• Modder
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:12 AM

So it would seem. I designed the kit ages ago though my plans are quite similar to yours. Would did you use to design your kit? I used a couple of D&D books about the gods and ideas that had been speculated to create mine. The skills are mostly the same although different order a levels. Description starts the same but is different for the last half to three-quarters. This kit will be optional so they can just choose one, as long as they don't try to give her both kits there shouldn't be a technical failure.

SK

Edited by Snowking, 25 June 2005 - 12:12 AM.

Current Mods in the Works: The Mazzy Romance Mod

#3 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:16 AM

I used Demihuman Deities. The advantages order is probably slightly deifferent because I altered mine to fit with the order used in Cleric Remix.

#4 Snowking

Snowking

Asylum Escapee

• Modder
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:24 AM

I used that guide as well as another one. I put them at regular intervals because I like it that way and the order made sense to me, some anyway. This is my ability and level listing.

Level 1
Detect Evil
Invoke Courage

Level 3
Strength (Self)

Level 5
Lay on Hands

Level 7
Glyph of Warding

Level 9
Haste (Self)

Level 11
Champion's Strength

I only have one disadvantage and that is reduced proficienies in all except short sword, bow and sling.
EDIT: As in yours I guess. I plan on adding more if I can think of some.

Edited by Snowking, 25 June 2005 - 12:25 AM.

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:03 AM

Good work with the kit. :thumb: What about replacing the Glyph of Warding with Protection from Evil 10' Radius? Or with Draw Upon Holy Might?

#6 Snowking

Snowking

Asylum Escapee

• Modder
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

This is a my final draft of the kit. Please feel free to post your opinions and suggestions for fine-tuning before I get it created.

TRUESWORD OF ARVOREEN: Arvoreen is the nearest thing to a halfling war god. She is a goddess of stern defence and aggressive watchfulness, who is always preparing for incursions into halfling lands and making  ready to repulse hostile creatures at the first sign of trouble. Arvoreen is venerated primarily by halfling fighters.

Fighters that enter the church of Arvoreen, and prove themselves worthy, are risen to the rank of truesword.
Trueswords are the protectors of halfling communities. They mount regular patrols, always investigating the slightest hint of threat. Many trueswords regularly adventure to gain magical weapons and defensive items of all kinds.

Trueswords of Arvoreen must be Lawful Good, Neutral Good, or Lawful Neutral alignment.

Advantages:
-From level 1 can cast Invoke Courage once per day.
-From level 1 can cast Detect Evil once per day, as the first level cleric spell of the same name
-From level 3 can cast Strength once per day, as the second level wizard spell of the same name*
-From level 5 can Lay on Hands once per day, as the paladin ability of the same name
-From level 7 can cast Draw Upon Holy Might once per day, as the third level cleric spell of the same name
-From level 9 can cast Haste once per day, as third level wizard spell of the same name*
-From level 11 can cast Champion's Strength once per day, as fifth level cleric spell of the same name

Disadvantages:
-Must be Halfling
-Can't wear plate or full-plate.
-Can only place a maximum of two proficiencies in all weapons except Short Sword, Short Bow and Sling. (These can get 5 proficiencies.)

*Definetly some good ideas there Archmage Silver, I'll consider them if nobody hates the idea.

Edited by Snowking, 30 June 2005 - 10:10 PM.

#7 Tormented

Tormented
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

I like Archmage Silver's idea, replacing the Glyph of Warding with something else. I always found the Glyph to be rather weak...but thats just me. Just a thought it might be cool to give a True Sword a under powered Called Shot at the higher levels, in the game Mazzy was archer..kinda so it might be intresting to give her more abilities so she can function as a better one, just my two sense worth.

By the way awesome work Snowking :D I can't wait for for the mod to come out!!

Edited by Tormented, 27 June 2005 - 10:24 PM.

#8 Snowking

Snowking

Asylum Escapee

• Modder
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:49 AM

I think I will change glyph of warding, probably for draw upon holy might. I might add a called shot ability or something, I was thinking about a custom ability for the kit. I could use another disadvantage or two to prevent over-powering the kit.

SK

#9 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:00 AM

Maybe restricting from using plate mail & full plate mail? So could use: leather, studded leather, chainmail. This because halflings are small and they usually use agility to make up for the lack of very heavy armor, which they usually are not able to wear due to it's massive weight. This may seem harsh, but I'm only using logic here.

#10 Tormented

Tormented
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:21 PM

Maybe restricting from using plate mail & full plate mail? So could use: leather, studded leather, chainmail. This because halflings are small and they usually use agility to make up for the lack of very heavy armor, which they usually are not able to wear due to it's massive weight. This may seem harsh, but I'm only using logic here.

View Post

If you are going to restrict platemail then the advantage should have to do with increasing their armor class/reducing damage for a round or two (so you can still tank). If not that then it should benfit their ranged attack so it wont matter if they don't have the best plate mail (armor class is not as important to snipers). It depends which role you want the kit to take, a front linner or a sniper.

Another advantage might to give the Truesword immunities to slow and hold. I believe thats what Mazzy's default shortsword did and it was suppossed to be given to her by Arvoreen, so this I think they are appropriate immunities

Edited by Tormented, 28 June 2005 - 05:15 PM.

#11 Snowking

Snowking

Asylum Escapee

• Modder
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:40 AM

Gotta think about that one. Thanks for your opinions. Keep them coming, I'm gonna draw up the final version in the next couple of days.

SK

#12 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:55 AM

Hmm... well, it would be good to remember that there's some armours branded as scale armor in the non-modded game: Armor of Faith +3, Ashen Scales +2, Red Dragon Scale, Shadow Dragon Scale, Splint Mail +1, White Dragon Scale. No problems there (they are actually used as chainmail) but one: (Well, Shadow Dragon Scale is used as leather, but the kit can use leather so no probs there) Red Dragon Scale is used as plate mail, so if we restrict from using plate mail, we'd have to restrict from using the other scale mails as well to be exact. So this means that we'd have to alter the red dragon scale somewhat. That said, there is good chainmail available in SoA and ToB (+ the scale mails above) Aslyferund Elven Chain +5 & Crimson Chain +5. So I would view restricting armor use as an option here.

#13 Snowking

Snowking

Asylum Escapee

• Modder
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:23 PM

Might make it so they can't use full plate, might prevent normal plate too.

SK

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:41 PM

Might be best to just restrict plate and full plate. That still leaves a lot of good armours even if the Mazzy romance mod was only modification to BG II & ToB.

#15 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:04 AM

Personally I feel that if you're going to restrict armour on the basis of it's weight, you should go by the strength stat, not race :). With a STR of 18, if Mazzy were to be restricted from certain armours then so should every other NPC in the game! :D

#16 Lord-Jyssev

Lord-Jyssev

LĪJ

• 451 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:14 PM

i am the kit creator an i just say leave it as simple as possible :P

no just kiddin... :D

#17 Snowking

Snowking

Asylum Escapee

• Modder
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:11 PM

Made a couple of changes to the kit. Any opinions? I may make another small change or two but this is pretty much the final product.

SK

#18 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:59 AM

Personally I feel that if you're going to restrict armour on the basis of it's weight, you should go by the strength stat, not race :).  With a STR of 18, if Mazzy were to be restricted from certain armours then so should every other NPC in the game! :D

View Post

That we could argue upon, how does a halfling's strenght 18 match a half-orc's strenght 18? I could say that they need a different scale to get 18 strenght at the same time, but that would go beyond the game... :)

Of course, it could be a kit restriction if Truesword relies on agility and fast movement more than heavy armours.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 01 July 2005 - 01:05 AM.

#19 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:03 AM

Halflings can not have 18 strength as they have a -1 racial penalty to their strength score. In that way it is corrected. Half-Orcs +1 racial bonus shows them to be on average stronger then humans. However if a halfling, a half-orc and a human all have 17 strength they have just as many strength. Carrying capacity is different in 3.5, but we are dealing here with AD&D

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:36 AM

but we are dealing here with AD&D

Yep, just my point. Unless someone gets me a RL orc and halfling to test this thing with. :D