Cespenar Gets Nasty !

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Azrael

Azrael
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:19 AM

Check out the attachment.

Edited by Azrael, 25 June 2005 - 05:25 AM.

#2 Cantrip

Cantrip

the Scholar

• 325 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:22 AM

Check out the attachment.

View Post

No attachments yet... :(
Post a link to the image.
"A hot iron, though blunt, will pierce sooner than a cold one, though sharper."

Some great webcomics:
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php
http://www.giantitp..../ootscript?SK=1

#3 Azrael

Azrael
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:25 AM

I'm having no luck adding the attachment, it seems to work but I get nothing showing up even in the preview post.

#4 Azrael

Azrael
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:32 AM

I think this is something that should be seen by people more than me, its amusing to me and hopefully will be to others.

So if anyone has any hints as to how to put it up online please reply.

#5 Cantrip

Cantrip

the Scholar

• 325 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

I think this is something that should be seen by people more than me, its amusing to me and hopefully will be to others.

So if anyone has any hints as to how to put it up online please reply.

View Post

We are moving to a new host and site currently.
As soon as we are done moving, I think you will be able to post your image.
It should be done today\tomorrow. :)
"A hot iron, though blunt, will pierce sooner than a cold one, though sharper."

Some great webcomics:
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php
http://www.giantitp..../ootscript?SK=1

#6 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:28 AM

It should be done today\tomorrow

Sounds good. ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#7 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:30 AM

email it to me and I shall post it. But getting moved to a new forum sounds good indeed.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#8 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:41 AM

I guess you have been un-installing and re-installing the LR and other mods, and then used the old save to continue? Here is why this has happened -- the text string numbers got mixed. If you want to fix this you will need to either return to your old configuration of mods or start a new game.

Posted Image

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#9 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

DLGs aren't stored in savegames, and WeiDU doesn't remove TLK strings, so un/re-installing shouldn't cause problems like this.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#10 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:07 AM

Well, then how do you explain the fact that whenever I added new strings to the mods, as I was coding and testing them, and used my old save to test new additions, the strings always tended to look funny?

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#11 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

You were doing something wrong.

#12 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:09 PM

It is my experience also that when using a saved game produced under a different order/configuration of install strings do get mixed up (ie NPC sounds under TUTU). Starting a new game or killing an NPC and doing a fresh summon fixes it. *Shrug*

Edited by Ashara, 25 June 2005 - 03:10 PM.

#13 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:15 PM

NPC sounds can potentially get mixed up, yes, because they're part of a CRE file which is stored in the savegame. Under normal conditions, this shouldn't actually happen because WeiDU won't change strings it's already added, but Tutu is a slightly different case because strrefs are liable to change completely on re-install, hence the issue you mention. DLGs should basically never display wrong strings, except when the TLK's locked or you restore backups manually or something.

#14 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:08 PM

Well, at least if you open the save with NI you will see that BALDUR.sav contains items and -- therefore -- refs to their names and descriptions. Same with creatures. Therefore if a mod with some of the items is removed and the strings are gone some re-arrangement takes place. I suspect that the game also saves a phantom copy of the cre dialogs -- as a series of str refs. Maybe I am compeltely wrong, but I have seen the messed up strings in my old save games too many times to dismiss that experience. With all due respect to your modding genius, Sim. :D

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#15 Azrael

Azrael
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:06 PM

I appreciate all the info to help fix the game - I'll have to do it sometime to play the game properly soon, but I also would like to mention the fact that Cespenar called me a fool was surprising but amusing so I think once I fix the save game - will Cespenar call me names anymore ? No.

Even though its not his proper dialogue I was glad to read it - it made things more interesting plus it was funny, although I should get it fixed right away *sigh*. No more amusing dialogue (or abuse) from Cespenar anymore :glare:

Oh by the way - I only realised this dialogue mix-up after having gone through Watcher's Keep with Irenicus and the gang - I completely ignored Cespenar at the beginning and all the way through Saradush - maybe the 'fool' was well-deserved or maybe it was his revenge... :blink:

Edited by Azrael, 25 June 2005 - 09:11 PM.

#16 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:57 PM

Actually, that replica was Irenicus's. If you want to hear something funny from Cesp send Jon to talk with the imp, a few times. I also suggest sending Irenicus to talk with elves, dwarves in Sardush, Volo and Nialee -- he has custom replies.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#17 Azrael

Azrael
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:51 PM

Took your advice on the Jon-talk-to-plan - even though a pair of imps in the Deva Spark quest was funny - and the imp in the elemental room - I really don't think Jon likes imps. Blowing them up appeals to him though.

I also loaded up a final save of mines previously with Irenicus, the dialogue options when talking to cespenar have multiplied - I can even reply with a aerie(or jaheria)-minsc conversation or a journal entry that I failed the Deva Quest :blink:

Guess I will have to fix this soon.

Edited by Azrael, 25 June 2005 - 11:58 PM.

#18 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:57 AM

Well, at least if you open the save with NI you will see that BALDUR.sav contains items and -- therefore -- refs to their names and descriptions. Same with creatures.

Like I said above, creatures are stored in the save, yes, although this still shouldn't cause a problem unless you're doing something like copying the TLK around manually. Item filenames are also saved, but the actual item files aren't-- thus neither are their names or descriptions.

#19 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:43 AM

I am not saying the item files are saved -- but their names, and most likely the associated 'string numbers' (i.e. reffs to theirs positions in the tlk file). As you know the tlk file is built like a chain linked structure, out of string numbers. If you pull out a few links from the middle -- the end ones will change their order.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#20 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:48 AM

Yes, except that WeiDU never removes strings from the .tlk. The only way they get removed is through player intervention--installing a .tlk overwriting product such as the patch or some .tlk-overwriting mod, or reinstalling the game.