BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA released!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

#1 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:11 PM

To make the shifting of the forums to a new domain even grander, BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA has been uploaded to TheWizard! This version has been quite thoroughly tested by myself and boasts many new features. Still, there will be bugs I have missed, so report them. Features and changelist from the readme file included below. Enjoy! :lol:

MAJOR FEATURES
Journal entries: BGT-WeiDU utilises a full quest journal system and ensures that all Baldur?s Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast journal entries are removed prior to the transition to Irenicus? dungeon.  This is a great feature that prevents clogging up of the journal, which normally makes it hard to find important information in the journal.
Map Notes: The advent of map notes makes it useful for the player to pin their own special locations.  However, BGT-WeiDU comes with a number of map notes already inserted to help the player find particular buildings quickly, instead of running around like crazed chickens into every single house on a particular map.
Baldur?s Gate to Tales of the Sword Coast (continuity): BGT-WeiDU makes it possible for the player to continue playing after they beat Sarevok and do the Tales of the Sword Coast quests.  However, it will not be possible to start directly from Tales of the Sword Coast like in the original Baldur?s Gate.
Tales of the Sword Coast to Shadows of Amn (continuity): BGT-WeiDU uses a dynamic system to transfer players from the end of Tales of the Sword Coast to Irenicus? Dungeon.  A cover story is used, which you can find out yourself, and NPCs are conditionally imported into Shadows of Amn depending on what fate you led them to experience in Baldur?s Gate and/or Tales of the Sword Coast.
Iron shortage causes weapons and armor to shatter: BGT-WeiDU adds a new system that puts the iron shortage in Baldur?s Gate into action.  All normal weapons and armor made of iron have a chance to break when used, making the difficulty of the game harder, but does not happen too often to immensely annoy the player.
Compatibility with The Big Picture modifications: As stated as a major aim, BGT-WeiDU is compatible with the latest versions of The Big Picture modifications, allowing the player to expand the world of Baldur?s Gate to an enormously rich location to explore.

OTHER FEATURES
Angelo and Shar-teel know each other: Finally, the daughter of Angelo can speak out to no avail.  But is that really true?  Find out for yourself.
Charleston Nib?s excavation quest: Now you can really slaughter the diggers and get your large money reward for retrieving the artefact.
Entar Silvershield?s son quest: Kagain?s quest to find the son of Duke Entar Silvershield is now not a futile wander unless the player waits too long.
Fight with Sarevok: The fight with Sarevok is now much harder with new custom items on Sarevok and Semaj.  Look out when you get there!
Joining the bandits: Actually works.  What more is there to say?
Non-player character spells and statistics: All joinable non-player characters have had their spell memorisation and statistics corrected to D&D rules.
Raiding Tazok?s tent: The bandits know when you raid their tent and steal Tazok?s items.  Better be careful when you leave.
Skie?s ransom: Eldoth periodically reminds the player when to collect the ransom money for Skie, to save you forgetting to collect your money.

CHANGELIST
Version 0.99 BETA

New installation features
- Full compatibility with Big Picture modifications and Check the Bodies
- More informative readme file
- OPTIONAL: new menu screens
- OPTIONAL: experience gain reduction for picking locks, disarming traps, and learning spells
- OPTIONAL: a more ?intelligent? EscapeArea() where NPCs will walk always off the screen instead of disappearing upon collision
- Quick compatibility for foreign language translations
- Smart journal entry system
- Work-in-progress version of Developer's Documentation added

Bug fixes
- Angelo now correctly interacts with Shar-Teel during death sentencing after being captured by the Flaming Fist
- Charleston Nib?s diggers now correctly attack the party when the player announces hostile intentions
- Corrected a number of inventory icons
- Corrected a number of NPC portraits in the Record screen that would show the top left hand corner of the portrait only
- Corrected Candlekeep map note
- Corrected certain Throne of Bhaal music references
- Corrected fights between non-player joinable characters
- Corrected statistics for a large number of NPCs
- Fixed a bug where the player would not get infected by Marek?s poison or Kaishas? lycanthropy
- Fixed a bug where joining the bandits via Raiken or Teven would result in Tazok having nothing to say
- Fixed a bug where Minsc?s dialogue breaks at the beginning of Chateau Irenicus because Imoen is unable to interject
- Fixed a bug with transparent doors
- Fixed a bug with some traps not working
- Fixed a bug where too many werewolves were to spawn on the island
- Fixed a bug where most weapons will never disintegrate in combat
- Fixed a bug where certain loading screens would show Baldur?s Gate loading screen pictures
- Fixed a bug where killing Sarevok can result in a hung cutscene because dialogue did not start correctly
- Fixed a bug where a random encounter area would trigger the Gnoll Stronghold movie
- Fixed a bug where a number of scrolls could be placed in the quick-item slot
- Fixed a bug where the Priest of Ilmater did not appear when Husam asks the player to kill Slythe and Krystin
- Fixed a critical Alora stutter bug
- Fixed a critical bug where areas containing basilisks will fail to load, generating a crash, due to missing basilisk animations
- Fixed a critical bug where Sarevok had an incorrect override script assignment, which would prevent finishing Baldur?s Gate
- Fixed a critical bug where defeating Sarevok would not trigger the completion of Baldur?s Gate
- Removed non-existant creature references from a number of areas, and corrected spawns in others
- White lines at the bottom of AR3709 have been fixed
- Various minor bug fixes

Gameplay changes
- Added the option of transitioning from Baldur?s Gate to Shadows of Amn without fully completing all of the Tales of the Sword Coast quests
- Bardez?s original credits added
- Eldoth now reminds the player when the correct amount of time has elapsed to collect Skie?s ransom money
- Baldur?s Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast journals are now removed before the player transitions to Shadows of Amn
- Guards now arrive when Faber of the Cloakwood mines calls out
- Installation now uses WeiDU 184 and relies on its own executable (_weidu.exe) instead to avoid incompatibility with old WeiDU versions
- Made the end of Baldur?s Gate to Tales of the Sword Coast transition less confusing
- Modified the cover story for the transition a little (thanks to Sir BillyBob)
- Overhaul of Baldur?s Gate music, with much music incorporated, area music references corrected, and Shadows of Amn title music changed
- Random treasure drops in Baldur?s Gate are now balanced
- Sarevok does not drop Sarevok?s Helm anymore (the end movie shows the disintegration of the helm)
- Semaj and Sarevok now have correct inventory items
- Switched the New Game and Baldur?s Gate I (renamed to New BG2 Game) buttons by request
- Tales of the Sword Coast can now be ?completed? with all the quests actually being completed
- The entire bandit camp now becomes hostile when the player retrieves the letters from Tazok?s tent
- The fight with Sarevok is now harder
- World map icons now utilise that from Yacomo?s World Map mod
- Various minor changes

Installation changes
- A number of code optimisations added
- Added further patching of Imoen to Imoen2 script name
- Added handling of Baldur?s Gate creatures in its override folder during creature extraction
- Added NPCAlive global variable checks for modding purposes
- Completed removal of all redundant files
- Corrected a number of scripts that were incorrectly patched
- Corrected a number of StrRefs that were incorrectly patched
- Corrected patching of a number of creatures
- Most MOS files are now decompressed using MOSUnpack utility
- Most dialogue is now imported from Baldur?s Gate
- Patched some more string references
- Renamed several Baldur?s Gate creatures to avoid conflict with Shadows of Amn
- SONGLIST.2DA and MUSCLIS(T).IDS is now overwritten to accommodate music overhaul
- Trimmed and optimised more NPC dialogs
- Various minor tweaks

Edited by Ascension64, 27 June 2005 - 11:13 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#2 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:00 AM

Woohoo - christmas time in the middle of the summer Posted Image

Thanks Ascension64 and King Diamond for all the hard work and patience you are putting into this :wub:

All the best,

Yacomo

#3 Hak`M

Hak`M
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:46 AM

Looks nice, is there an install guide to BP + BGT + NEJ with all these weidu parts, or am I supposed to just figure everything out myself? Or should I just install every weidu mod I can find? ;)

When I have have time + diskspace I'll sure try this. :)

#4 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:06 AM

Very impressive, and HUGE kudos to everyone who has been working on this. :)

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#5 masteraleph

masteraleph
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:55 AM

So then, here's the question...

is it worth doing a full reinstall to try this out? I'd like to play straight through, but have been contenting myself with an elven fighter/thief character. Not asking if there's a total lack of bugs (if there were, it wouldn't be a beta), just if as far as we know, there aren't any CtD bugs floating around out there.

#6 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:40 AM

Hooray!!! :D

Now I can play a vanilla BGT (even if it is a beta), and only ... 7 megs for download??? :wacko:

Since I have to reinstall anyway I'm willing to be your lab rat...

What a rush!!!

I've already looked over the readme, and it makes me ask... :unsure:

1. If BPv170 isn't done yet, and with no release date, how can you run all these mods at once?
2. Is it possible to run, say, DSotSC/NTotSC or Bone Hill and NEJ without BP?

#7 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:56 AM

Would it be possible for you guys to compile a list of BG1 specific bugs that BGT fixes and what BGT does to fix them? This would help in a possible future BG1 fixpack.

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:52 PM

is it worth doing a full reinstall to try this out?  I'd like to play straight through, but have been contenting myself with an elven fighter/thief character.  Not asking if there's a total lack of bugs (if there were, it wouldn't be a beta), just if as far as we know, there aren't any CtD bugs floating around out there.

There will be bugs, but I stress they will be minor. I personally fixed all the CtD bugs (such as bad spawns and dialogue corruption and stuff) so I am confident that there will be no major major problems, but if there are, report them straight away and I'll patch them immediately.

Hooray!!! biggrin.gif

Now I can play a vanilla BGT (even if it is a beta), and only ... 7 megs for download??? wacko.gif

What a rush!!!

I've already looked over the readme, and it makes me ask... unsure.gif

1. If BPv170 isn't done yet, and with no release date, how can you run all these mods at once?

1. You shouldn't need BPv170. BP was the glue that held the mods together but that simply is not required anymore. Just install TDD, SoS, TS, NeJ, BGT (in that order). Plus, TS is tricky because you need the fixed file from the YahooGroups (TSv60bifferv2-fixed.zip). Someone will need to help me here, but you might also need SOSweidu1to2patch-fixed.zip and TDDweidu1to2patch-fixed.zip.
2. Absolutely. Install NeJ, then BGT, then DSotSC, then NTotSC. Note that Sir BillyBob's latest version of DSotSC and NTotSC might not be fully compatible with BGT because of some naming changes.

Would it be possible for you guys to compile a list of BG1 specific bugs that BGT fixes and what BGT does to fix them? This would help in a possible future BG1 fixpack.

Absolutely, the developer's documentation will handle that, but I really need to fix up the messy code, so it might be several weeks before I can get out the full devdoc.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#9 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

is it worth doing a full reinstall to try this out?  I'd like to play straight through, but have been contenting myself with an elven fighter/thief character.  Not asking if there's a total lack of bugs (if there were, it wouldn't be a beta), just if as far as we know, there aren't any CtD bugs floating around out there.

There will be bugs, but I stress they will be minor. I personally fixed all the CtD bugs (such as bad spawns and dialogue corruption and stuff) so I am confident that there will be no major major problems, but if there are, report them straight away and I'll patch them immediately.

Hooray!!! biggrin.gif

Now I can play a vanilla BGT (even if it is a beta), and only ... 7 megs for download??? wacko.gif

What a rush!!!

I've already looked over the readme, and it makes me ask... unsure.gif

1. You shouldn't need BPv170. BP was the glue that held the mods together but that simply is not required anymore. Just install TDD, SoS, TS, NeJ, BGT (in that order). Plus, TS is tricky because you need the fixed file from the YahooGroups (TSv60bifferv2-fixed.zip). Someone will need to help me here, but you might also need SOSweidu1to2patch-fixed.zip and TDDweidu1to2patch-fixed.zip.
2. Absolutely. Install NeJ, then BGT, then DSotSC, then NTotSC. Note that Sir BillyBob's latest version of DSotSC and NTotSC might not be fully compatible with BGT because of some naming changes.

Absolutely, the developer's documentation will handle that, but I really need to fix up the messy code, so it might be several weeks before I can get out the full devdoc.

View Post

Congrats, guys--well done!

The new, upcoming BPv170 will be taking this version into account. Some of those BP-BGTv313 specific adjustments might be added in as an optional component, so you don't miss the experience of BP AI, the XP adjustments, and so on--the things in BP that were more than mere epoxy. ;)

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:01 AM

Congratulations to all! :)

1. You shouldn't need BPv170.  BP was the glue that held the mods together but that simply is not required anymore.  Just install TDD, SoS, TS, NeJ, BGT (in that order).  Plus, TS is tricky because you need the fixed file from the YahooGroups (TSv60bifferv2-fixed.zip).  Someone will need to help me here, but you might also need SOSweidu1to2patch-fixed.zip and TDDweidu1to2patch-fixed.zip.
2. Absolutely.  Install NeJ, then BGT, then DSotSC, then NTotSC.  Note that Sir BillyBob's latest version of DSotSC and NTotSC might not be fully compatible with BGT because of some naming changes.

Refer to this
http://www.shsforums...showtopic=16074
for an updated SoS-WeiDU version. There're no any other updates/fixes necessary.

#11 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the info, Ascension 64.

I guess I should have asked my second question differently (hindsight is always better than foresight **sigh**).

Is it possible to only run two or three mods instead of the whole shebang to make the monster (and replaying) have a different flavor each time, and a little less complex? Maybe one mod for the BG1 side and one for BG2 side.

Of course, after going through BGT-WieDU the first time vanilla, I can spin the wheel and see what happens (shouldn't be anything catastrophic)...

Of couse if my computer explodes... :P

#12 GekkeR

GekkeR
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:16 AM

Excellent , trying it right now :)

AT_EXIT ~VIEW BGT/Language/%LANGUAGE%/BGTReadme.html~ (Setup-BGT-Main.tp2)

My version (euro mirror) had a BGTReadme.htm (not .html) so it showed an error box , but nothing serious :)

Great work , keep it up ! B)

-edit

Running windows xp x64.

Edited by GekkeR, 29 June 2005 - 07:38 AM.

#13 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:36 AM

Is it possible to only run two or three mods instead of the whole shebang to make the monster (and replaying) have a different flavor each time, and a little less complex? Maybe one mod for the BG1 side and one for BG2 side.

Yes, it will work. But don't forget the requirements of those extra mods (e.g. NTotSC requires DSotSC)

AT_EXIT ~VIEW BGT/Language/%LANGUAGE%/BGTReadme.html~ (Setup-BGT-Main.tp2)

My version (euro mirror) had a BGTReadme.htm (not .html) so it showed an error box , but nothing serious

Do you have Windows XP? I've fixed the error but it never generated any problems for me.

--------------
Retired Modder

#14 Mythrantar

Mythrantar
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:51 AM

So, how does one go to install this great BGT-BP-et al. monster now that the weidu versions are out and BP is not -required-? If the info is somewhere else, I apologize in advance! :)

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:29 PM

So, how does one go to install this great BGT-BP-et al. monster now that the weidu versions are out and BP is not -required-? If the info is somewhere else, I apologize in advance! :)

View Post

OK, I found the readme from BGT-weidu. However, I still have some questions:

How do I install BP-BGT with BGT-WeiDU?

If you are installing BP-BGT as part of The Big Picture, then install this modification after installing The Darkest Day-WeiDU (TDD-WeiDU), Shadows over Soubar-WeiDU (SoS-WeiDU), Tortured Souls (TS) 6.0 or above, and Never Ending Journey 2 (NeJ2) 2.1b or above, in that order.  Install this before Big Picture (BP) v170.  Please note that BGT-WeiDU will not work with a non-WeiDU The Darkest Day and/or Shadows over Soubar installation.

If I understand this correctly, what it says is: Install tdd-weidu, then SOS-weidu, then TS 6, then NeJ2, then BGT-weidu, then BP170, right? Do we also need to use Diamond King's Baldurdash-weidu at some point?

Also, I thought TS6 and NeJ2 are incompatible with BP. Oh, and BP170 is not out yet, so what abot BP161G?

Thanks!

#16 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:40 PM

View Post

OK, I found the readme from BGT-weidu. However, I still have some questions:

How do I install BP-BGT with BGT-WeiDU?

If you are installing BP-BGT as part of The Big Picture, then install this modification after installing The Darkest Day-WeiDU (TDD-WeiDU), Shadows over Soubar-WeiDU (SoS-WeiDU), Tortured Souls (TS) 6.0 or above, and Never Ending Journey 2 (NeJ2) 2.1b or above, in that order.  Install this before Big Picture (BP) v170.  Please note that BGT-WeiDU will not work with a non-WeiDU The Darkest Day and/or Shadows over Soubar installation.

If I understand this correctly, what it says is: Install tdd-weidu, then SOS-weidu, then TS 6, then NeJ2, then BGT-weidu, then BP170, right? Do we also need to use Diamond King's Baldurdash-weidu at some point?

Also, I thought TS6 and NeJ2 are incompatible with BP. Oh, and BP170 is not out yet, so what abot BP161G?

Thanks!

View Post

You are absolutely correct, because that is what the readme says. For everyone, here is a sample:

Extract TDD_weiduv1.zip to BGII directory
Extract TDDweidu1to2patch-fixed.zip to BGII directory (overwrite existing)
Install TDD
Extract SoS-WeiDUv102.rar to BGII directory
Install SoS (this actually doesn't work at the moment because of a parse error; see somewhere else in this forum)
Install TSv60 or above
Install NeJ v2.1b or above
Install BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA or above
Install BPv170 (this isn't released, but you don't have to have it)

Also, you can leave out ANY component (except for the TDD patch on TDD if you are using TDD) and still get a correct installation.

TSv60 and NeJ2 ARE compatible with BP-BGT-WeiDU. I am proposing new nomenclature for this new version of The Big Picture. The OLD super-huge install should be referred to as BP-BGT/BP-BGT-NeJ/BP/BGT. The new install should be referred to as BP-BGT-WeiDU/BP-BGT-NeJ-WeiDU/BP-WeiDU/BGT-WeiDU.

KD's Baldurdash is not needed, although I believe you can still use it. Anything not included in the installation above is NOT NEEDED, but you might still be able to use it (not even everything listed above is needed. But that is what you call a BP-BGT-NeJ-WeiDU installation).

Edited by Ascension64, 29 June 2005 - 06:43 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#17 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

You guys are on your own answering that one. I don't even know the right order for install all of this.

Edit: I just knew your post would go up before mine.

What about Yacomo's Worldmap? BoneHill v 1.8 still uses the old map so you would want to replace it with his, correct?

Edited by Sir BillyBob, 29 June 2005 - 06:43 PM.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#18 Mythrantar

Mythrantar
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the answer Ascension! :) What about KD's Baldurdash-weidu? Is it required in this setup? If so, at what point? BTW, is CtB compatible with the weidu setup?

Edited by Mythrantar, 29 June 2005 - 07:22 PM.

#19 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:48 PM

What about Yacomo's Worldmap?  BoneHill v 1.8 still uses the old map so you would want to replace it with his, correct?

View Post

Yes, I would very much suggest so, but then I am biased B)

Which map is currently in TDD and SOS anyway? Me thinks it is a good guess that they are pretty outdated :blink:

And on KDs Baldurdash: As Ascension64 mentioned before, you do not NEED it. But you pretty sure WANT it :)

#20 Mythrantar

Mythrantar
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

And on KDs Baldurdash: As Ascension64 mentioned before, you do not NEED it. But you pretty sure WANT it

Sounds good! So, at what point is it best to install it? ;)