Concepts and future plans

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

Classic adventures is an attempt to turn several paper mods into one long storyline using the BG2 engine. After making the BoneHill mods and adding DSotSC and NTotSC to BGT, I realized that the BGT-BP storyline leveled you up to the engine's max (50) before you finished the ToB part of the game. I didn't see much point in adding more quests or mods to BGT-BP because of that.

So this allows me to start all over again. Like BG1, BGT, or Tutu you will start at level 1. Over the course of the next year or so, I will continue to add more mods to the project. I have a stack of them right now to keep me busy.

What version .3 has is the Sunless Citadel, the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, and a part of Danger at Dunwater. I will of course continue the U series with the third mod.

In fact, here are the plans right now:

Finish the U series
Add the A series (slavers)
Add some of the S series
Add the G series (giants)
Add several smaller new mods (meaning ones I just bought in the bookstore)
Add several smaller quests that I think up
Add the D series (drow)
? Don't know after that

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#2 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:07 PM

Classic adventures is an attempt to turn several paper mods into one long storyline using the BG2 engine. After making the BoneHill mods and adding DSotSC and NTotSC to BGT, I realized that the BGT-BP storyline leveled you up to the engine's max (50) before you finished the ToB part of the game.  I didn't see much point in adding more quests or mods to BGT-BP because of that.

So this allows me to start all over again.  Like BG1, BGT, or Tutu you will start at level 1.  Over the course of the next year or so, I will continue to add more mods to the project.  I have a stack of them right now to keep me busy.

What version .3 has is the Sunless Citadel, the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, and a part of Danger at Dunwater.  I will of course continue the U series with the third mod.

In fact, here are the plans right now:

Finish the U series
Add the A series (slavers)
Add some of the S series
Add the G series (giants)
Add several smaller new mods (meaning ones I just bought in the bookstore)
Add several smaller quests that I think up
Add the D series (drow)
?  Don't know after that

View Post

Aha!!!!!! I found the newly released module. Outstanding :Bow: I'm in the process of downloading now. I'll let you know once I've installed and begun play. Won't be for a week or so because I'll be in Memphis and away from my computer. :blink:
Sniffle, sniffle. Once I've gotten rolling, let me know it there's anything you'd like me to do. I'll help if I can.

Mark
"What rough beast, Its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born."

W.B. Yeats

May the sun be always in the eyes of your enemies,
and may your feet always find the correct path.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#3 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:38 PM

Beta test!

Actually, TheWizard has done most of that for me. I have added a few changes based on his comments as well as continued the story past his testing point. What I hope to do is lock the first section down as DONE and move on to the next couple of mods.

So if banters don't go right, spelling errors, items for wrong people (I just found one earlier today), etc. I need to clean them up.

Hey gang, please keep in mind that I plan to continue working on this project over the next year or two (whatever it takes I guess). I just wanted to get something out there for you all to try as an alternative to Bhaalspawn mods.

Classic Adventures

#4 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:51 PM

Try it folks, you will like it! :coolthumb: It was nostalgic for me to start with a level one party again. I especially like the storyline of Classics.

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#5 --leahnkain--

--leahnkain--

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

I have played through the MOD now twice. It is really nice to see the classics being played by a newer generation of gamer. This is probably going to be the most interetsing mod made. Great job!

#6 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

I think there should be a section for the key developers to post idea privately so everyone who is making the mod can give feedback. What do you think?

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#7 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:12 AM

I'd have to beg Hlid and there are only a few people at this point. It will be needed at some point.

Classic Adventures

#8 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:48 AM

It might be an idea to explain what the S, G and D series actually entail...

:)

Visit the IESDP

#9 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:33 PM

It might be an idea to explain what the S, G and D series actually entail...

:)

View Post

The 'S' series is known as the "Slaver's Series" of modules. It comprised of 4 interconnected modules.

The G and D series shouldn't be discussed, as I'm hoping to have some large mods of my own shortly to explain the content in more detail. :whistling:

Oh, Sir BillyBob, if you need a workroom, just shout.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#10 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:11 PM

Ah... now this is something I can get behind :Bow: Been waiting for someone else to do this kind of thing. New adventures for the IE from PnP. Let me know if you need any help.

Cuv

#11 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

The "A" series is the slavers. The "S" series is the "special" mods (Tomb of Horrors and Barrier Peaks are two of them). I am not sure how much of those mods I will be able to do. We don't have an unlimited amount of creature animations to work with. I may have to get really creative.

Classic Adventures

#12 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:17 PM

The "A" series is the slavers.  The "S" series is the "special" mods (Tomb of Horrors and Barrier Peaks are two of them).  I am not sure how much of those mods I will be able to do.  We don't have an unlimited amount of creature animations to work with.  I may have to get really creative.

View Post

You're entirely correct. I blame sleep deprivation.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#13 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:55 AM

We don't have an unlimited amount of creature animations to work with.  I may have to get really creative.

View Post

Have you checked the WoRmHole and Bestial Animations over at The Black Wyrm's Lair? Maybe they can help with creature animations.

#14 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:10 PM

Have you checked the WoRmHole and Bestial Animations

Done. In fact, I sent Galac the BAMS for the worm larva in PST. I got to remember to go ping him that two of the animations are bad. Anyway, I do plan to add that into the game when I need it. For now, I may be able to get around this by replacing some animations I don't plan to use, like Xvarts, GoblinElite w/bow, and some others.

When they are ready with the mod and I have a need for it, I will go beg Galac for permission to use it. I already got jcompton's permission for the bantergoose. Woohoo. I have so many banters already that most don't trigger because the mod is still so short (1 and 1/2 chapters). Hlid just helped me out with ways to really stretch out the storyline.

Now I need to see about ways to incorporate Ruad, ItemUpgrade, and others into the the basic mod. However, at level 4 you probably don't have very many demon hearts to use for weapon upgrades. :D

Classic Adventures

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:44 PM

Awesome idea for a BG mod. I'd love to replay those early mods on PC. Hope you keep it up.

#16 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:32 AM

A question: in the read me you say that classic Adventures starts with "The Sunless Citadel" which is a current mod for the d20 System. Are all the modules you're planning add from 20d or will you include be 2nd ed. AD&D modules as well? Or perhaps even D&D modules as well?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but letters S, U etc. really don't say anything to me. Not that the names ring a bell either, I have played P&P AD&D only few times, 3rd ed. never and it's a long time from our D&D sessions. I'm not even sure that I can keep the differences between the versions (apart from the original D&D) in order.

Can't wait the download to finish... :)
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#17 -U1 Description (Saltmarsh-

-U1 Description (Saltmarsh-

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

I don't want to tell you what is in the modules but for all of you who don7t know what the letter and numbers mean, here are some descriptions of the modules.

U1-U3
Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist?s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumors of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is it?s sinister secret? Are you brave enough to dare to discover?
The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh!

This series is from 1981. Authored by Dave J. Browne with Don Turnbull. Tt was the first part of a trilogy. This adventure is continued in U2 Danger at Dunwater and concluded in U3 The Final Enemy.

#18 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:36 PM

Here are the descriptions of A1 and A2...sorry I forgot to log in earlier...

I don't know but some might view this as a spoiler...

DESCRIPTION
Slave Pits of the Undercity is designed for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons First Edition. It can certainly be used with D&D or AD&D Second Edition as well. Slave Pits of the Undercity is the first of four modules in a series of linked tournament adventures. This module will challenge characters of levels 4-7. Slave Pits of the Undercity was used at Gen Con XIII and includes the original tournament characters and the tournament scoring system. The module was published in 1980. The Aspis and the Giant Sundew are new monsters introduced in this module. Well they were new in 1980!

It is time to put a stop to the marauders! For years the coastal towns have been burned and looted by the forces of evil You and your fellow adventurers have been recruited to root out and destroy the source of these raids. But beware, hundreds of good men and women have been taken by the slavers and have never been seen or heard from again!
A great series of modules! Secret of the Slavers Stockade is designed for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons First Edition. It can certainly be used with D&D or AD&D Second Edition as well. Secret of the Slavers Stockade is the second of four modules in a series of linked tournament adventures. The module will challenge characters of levels 4-7. Secret of the Slavers stockade was used at Gen Con XIII and includes the original tournament characters and the tournament scoring system. The module was published in 1981.

The battle continues against the vile Slave Lords! The slavers in Highport have been defeated. But the war is not over yet. Another slaver stronghold has been discovered. Do your characters have what it takes to defeat the Slave Lords on their home ground and live to tell the tale?

Edited by leahnkain, 17 August 2005 - 09:55 PM.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#19 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

The G Series...

Again proceed with caution if you think this is a spoiler...

This collection of classic modules, Against the Giants, was designed for use with the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game 1st Edition. Published in 1981, this module will challenge characters of levels 8-12. Authored by Gary Gygax, one of the creators of the Dungeons and Dragons Game, and also one of the deadliest adventure designers of all time. This adventure was originally published as three separate modules; G1 The Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, G2 The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl and G3

Large bands of giants have been marauding about the countryside, wreaking havoc among the lands of men. What malignant force could have united these different bands of giants together and given them a common goal? The quest to answer this riddle begins at the ?Steading of the Hill Giant Chief?. It then leads to the ?Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl.? Will it conclude in the ?Hall of the Fire Giant King??[

Edited by leahnkain, 17 August 2005 - 09:54 PM.

#20 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:43 PM

This is D1-3+Q1 Please read with caution, it is possible this can be considered a spoiler.

D1 Descent into the Depths of the Earth and D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa. It continues a series of seven modules that begins with Against the Giants (G1-G2-G3) and culminates with Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits. Gary Gygax, one of the creators of the Dungeons & Dragons game, authored this series. Descent into the Depths of the Earth will challenge characters of levels 9-14. This module was printed in 1981.
SYNOPSIS
Your party has battled Against the Giants defeating the Steading of the Hill Giants, The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, and finally King Snurre in The Hall of the Fire Giant King. Now, surely, you can return home to enjoy the fruits of your mighty labors. Alas, it is not to be. In the Hall of the Fire Giant King you have discovered evidence of a sinister conspiracy, led by shadowy figures of legend. To end this menace you must make a...
DESCENT INTO THE DEPTHS OF THE EARTH!
SYNOPSIS
Your party has battled Against the Giants defeating the Steading of the Hill Giants, The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, and finally King Snurre in The Hall of the Fire Giant King. In the Hall of the Fire Giant King you discovered evidence of a sinister conspiracy, led by shadowy figures of legend, so you made a Descent into the Depths of the Earth. Fighting nasty Kuo-Toa, and many other things along the way, so far you have overcome every foe. But can you prevail in the...
Vault of the Drow!

Edited by leahnkain, 17 August 2005 - 09:55 PM.