Photo

Could you ever enjoy SoA/ToB again with NO mods?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Can you enjoy BG as it was - After modding for so long? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Can you enjoy BG as it was - After modding for so long?

1. Yes (14 votes [31.11%])

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

2. No (31 votes [68.89%])

Percentage of vote: 68.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:31 AM

Just wondering

:Poke:
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#2 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:46 AM

No 2 100%, probably the only time in my life everyone's agreed with me :P
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

Of course. I actually enjoy playing vanilla SOA\TOB more.

It's different with BG1, of course. :) I cannot imagine playing BG1 without TUTU (though it took me hours to get it to work) and BG1 NPC mod.

#4 g'lain

g'lain
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:27 PM

I could go back to playing the games with no mods, sure, but it's more enjoyable to not hear "You must gather your party..." every few seconds. ^_^
As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it.
~Albert Einstein

#5 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:53 PM

I can't enjoy SoA/ToB without mods, because I don't like too much things in it.
i.e. The combat system, the character evolution, the inconsistencies with actions and experiences of my character, the political correctness, the fact that a genius has the same responses in dialog as a subhuman...

Edited by Delight, 27 July 2005 - 12:55 PM.

#6 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

I've become rather attached to quite a few mods, so I don't play vanilla BG2 except to test stuff out.

#7 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:34 PM

Not really - there ARE very good mods out there, and BG2 without them would be a serious drawback in my eyes.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#8 Vita Muerte

Vita Muerte

BG2 Addict

• 80 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:16 AM

Hell yes! :ermm:
I think BG2 is one of the best games I've ever come across, even with a very disappointing culmination (TOB.) Sure there are some things I'd rather do without, such as the "you must gather your party..." line, as mentioned by g'lain. All in all, the mods and improvements out there are just an added bonus... don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to the modding community for adding more flavors to an already fantastic game. :cheers:

#9 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:13 AM

Of course. I actually enjoy playing vanilla SOA\TOB more.

View Post

I just couldn't do! I don't mind playing the story straight but I couldn't imagine playing with out Baldurdash at the minimum.

Plus given that the only romance option for a female PC is Anomen :huh: I can only say thank the goddess for modders everywhere.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#10 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:21 AM

I just couldn't do! I don't mind playing the story straight but I couldn't imagine playing with out Baldurdash at the minimum.

Ah, what is the point? Baldurdash neither removes "fake talk" nor eliminates "fog of war - stupid enemies" problem - the only things that ever bugged me in the gameplay.

Plus given that the only romance option for a female PC is Anomen :huh: I can only say thank the goddess for modders everywhere. 

Tastes differ - I've played most male romances once, and uninstalled them all in the end. Unfortunately, for me they all seemed not as well-written as Anomen.

#11 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:25 AM

Dunno, i don't like bg2 WITH mods either :)
My only hope are those TC's still under development: reign of the mask, tower of iron will and of course glory of istar.
Avenger

#12 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:08 AM

I agree with Avenger in the first part - I do not like BG2-SoA-ToB with or without mods. It is a chore for me to play it, but (in a fit of insanity, I guess) I made mods for it and now I have to test them, as it is my nature to see things through to completion.

On another hand, I do not hold my breath for TCs. I don't think they will be released before my interest in IE modding will fade, if released at all. Sometimes I am tempted to ask for an insider access to one TC or another to see just how grounded in reality the teams are...

The BG proper, I play joyously and ad infinitum, with 2 mods - TUTU/BG1NPC. I will not be able to return to the vanilla version. Obviously, my heart and soul is in BG1NPC.

Edited by Ashara, 28 July 2005 - 07:09 AM.

#13 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:12 AM

Dunno, i don't like bg2 WITH mods either :)
My only hope are those TC's still under development: reign of the mask, tower of iron will and of course glory of istar.

View Post

Heh.
I have the same problem.
I tried playing BG2 with mods, but this game doesn't fit my taste.
I enjoy playing BG1TUTU, when I mod it properly, but I can't stand the stupidity of BG2.

Edited by Delight, 28 July 2005 - 07:13 AM.

#14 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:06 AM

No!......... but that is probably not a good question for a modding place. After all, if the ayes would have it, we'd be royaly screwed. :P
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#15 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

I'd say yes, but I'd have to forget about the game for a few years before trying it again.
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#16 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

It's very curious to see just how many people here seem to hate--or at least dislike--BG2. Of course, I'm one of 'em, so I can't really criticise things.

My theory is that I think BG1 was totally awesome, and the ways in which BG2 improved things were enough to outweigh the ways in which it stinks. Of course, now that we have Tutu, I can go back to playing BG1 with all the good bits from BG2's engine.

#17 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:43 PM

I don't like BG1 either, it's vastly inferior to F2 in areas that are important to roleplaying and replayability.

#18 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

BG games without mods? No f**king way. BG2 would be a painful bore without mods since it's not that interesting of a game like the first one was.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#19 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:53 PM

I don't like BG1 either, it's vastly inferior to F2 in areas that are important to roleplaying and replayability.

View Post

F2 being what? Fallout 2?

#20 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

No.
I always play BG1 without Mods, and always pkay BG2 with Mods.
I do testing without Mods.