After the End Fooling around

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

Sorry, browser crashed and 2-posted :)

Edited by Ashara, 02 August 2005 - 01:26 PM.

#22 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:25 PM

The problem with going hundreds of years into the future, is that we are out of canon FR reality and into the world we do not know anything about. I had been there with Portents, it is a hard thing. Plus, restricting the character's race is not a good idea imo.

Yeah, my take on NPCs is exactly the opposite - I think if I see Imoen, Viconia, Edwin or Jaheira in one more game, I will start screaming wildly.

Plus, every time you bring back an NPC, you have to answer the question - why not others...

#23 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

I see little reason for doing 'another' Bhaalspawn's life story, of a kid who discovers his powers and battles/embraces his heritage.

Right, which is why I don't think that's a very good idea either. I'm just saying, I can only envisage trying to squeeze even more from the already overstretched Bhaalspawn saga leading to awkward and contrived plots. If you've got a great tale planned out that could continue the series, then sure, I might be wrong, but it still seems to me that the concept of After the End revolves primarily around bending the story to the "coolness" factor of continuing with one's favourite PC regardless of the cost. Yes, we might be fascinated by the story of Anakin Skywalker (or not...), but I don't think that means it'd be a good thing for the plot to limp awkardly into *yet another* Darth Vader movie when the tale's already been concluded.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#24 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:23 PM

Level 1 Son/Daughter of Bhaalspawn 17 years down the line from ToB? Has to live up to dad/mom's reputation in the realms? Has no special abilites (perhaps one use of Summon Dad/Mom per day).
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#25 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:24 PM

I think it might be an interesting idea to do a TC starting at low levels, re-using areas from the BG games but not necessarily Bhaalspawn related.

If Bhaal were to be involved, I would suggest the new stomping grounds to be the Planes - though that'd need massive area editing.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#26 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:01 PM

True. Dump the Bhaalspawn PC into the Planescape setting, and all of a sudden they aren't quite so overpowered in comparison to everyone. The Ravenloft setting would be another one that could provide a challenge, and it would also provide a very strong RP base.

Personally, I find lowering the level of the PC too much of a Deus Ex Machina device, and those have been overused enough in various RPGs.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#27 Adder

Adder
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:26 AM

Level 1 Son/Daughter of Bhaalspawn 17 years down the line from ToB? Has to live up to dad/mom's reputation in the realms? Has no special abilites (perhaps one use of Summon Dad/Mom per day).

I think this idea would make most room for an interesting plotline. Let's say, 25 years in the future, the kid is about 20 years old. (PC was 20 when he started adventuring IIRC) Her reasons for adventuring could vary, depending on if the PC ascended or not and/or his alignment. However this should be adressed only in the beginning of the game/mod, or one could easily have to code up to four different plotlines ;)

Also, meeting some of Dad's old buddies on her travels could be lovely (not joinable). Some would have become old and retired by this time and most of them far more powerful. This would give some interesting dialogues.
Her travel-compagnions would be about Level 1 too, of course. Some of them could be the descendants of joinable NPCs, for example Mazzy's son who is sick of being pushed by his mother to be a hero/knight and choose to become a rogue instead. Valygars son who became a mage, only grudgingly accepted by his father. Keldorns little daughter Vesper who wants to be a paladin just like him. Or Viconias half-drow daughter who is a cleric/mage (guess whom I picture to be her father :P ) As an alternative to her (if PC romanced Viconia in SoA) Aeries daughter who is a bard (maybe sired by Haer'Dalis but not neccessarily).
"Face it, if crime didn't pay, there would be very few criminals"
-Laughton Lewis Burdock-

#28 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:09 AM

Plus, every time you bring back an NPC, you have to answer the question - why not others...

I have to agree: I myself was disappointed when I saw Minsc and others in BG2, instead of my favourites.

I would be very uncomfortable and disturbed by the idea that my PC had a child in the Bhaalspawn saga. In my opinion, it would be even worse than the situation with Diablo protagonist in Diablo II, who's been possessed by the very monster he defeated.

Edited by Kulyok, 03 August 2005 - 03:10 AM.

#29 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:35 AM

True.  Dump the Bhaalspawn PC into the Planescape setting, and all of a sudden they aren't quite so overpowered in comparison to everyone.  The Ravenloft setting would be another one that could provide a challenge, and it would also provide a very strong RP base.

Mmmm...
Rrravenloft :wub: ...
I remember discussing this idea on Imoen Romance forum...
I had an idea that after rejecting the offer to become god, PC would be sucked into the Demiplane of Dread...
Without other party members :devil: (Ultima VIII anyone?)...

#30 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:44 AM

I generally do not like the cross-setting jumps. They always have that 'teenage girl sucked through the drain directly to Middle Earth to shag Legolas' feel :devil:

Sigil and Multiverse, on the other hand, is justified, and since you have Haer'Dalis... an accident trying to help him return etc, though that would make Haer'Dalis into the NEW IMOEN! -_- And we have PST maps, and even a map or two in good old BG2...

And, Andyr, you are right - on the planes, PC's levels will be OK, and he does not even have to gorw in the conventional way....

I think *that* is actually doable.

So, anyone but me is actually interesting in this possibility?

The revised idea would be:

1) Level of adventure

PC retains his levels, but his further leveling up is either slowed, or modified via high-level abilities), or even simply frozen.

2) Project scope.

One cannot embrace the unembraceable. So the priority goes to story line and adventures, rather than the new kits and items and NPCs.

3) NPCs

Still drop all of BioWARE NPCs, with a possible exception of HD, but it is not essencial - after all PC could have taken the planar Sphere for a ride too or somehow use the Watcher's Keep connection.

4) Local vs Regional

Move the actions to Sigil/Planes re-using/editing PST's maps.

Edited by Ashara, 03 August 2005 - 05:56 AM.

#31 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:43 AM

I think after a certain point you can skip levelling althogether. I am only interested in levelling until I get a workable charcter, then I want to put his abilities to use. Level one sucks, but a decent midrange and just give me enough story to spend a year or so on the game. :D

I would have loved to be a lonesome bard travelling the SC to find traces of the Bhaalspawn (not unlike Balduran himself) who saved the day on many occasions. Though it is a challenge in its own right as the obviously only vague hints in IWD2 show.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#32 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

A somewhat different approach could be used: Charname is assumed to have ascended to godhood and the PC is approched by this new god to become his/her High Priest. The behaviour of the god would reflect the laignment of the PC as a good god would not approch someone evil or an evil god approch someone good. The story follows the priest trying to establish the faith in Faerun.

#33 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:54 PM

which would restrict PC class to a priest, unless you doa complex path ajustable for every class, which is pretty much undoable. Plus, that does not allow you to play your old PC anyways...

#34 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:36 PM

I was thinking the PC could recieve spell like abilities granted by the god, if not a priest. I also realised one could not play their old PC like this, but it would be a non-cheese excuse for starting with a mid-level character.

#35 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:11 PM

True, but I say if s/he'd just get recruited by the high-ranking clergy of <CHARNAME>, that perhaps be a bit better to accomodate all the classes. However, you thread a dangerous ground here, because you end up defining <CHARNAME> (ie male or female, class, the name?). Obviously, it all can be copied right over from your new PC - what if s/he is a namesake for example? That would be a mystic connection... sort of a mortal reflection of the old PC, and that's why s/he was specially sought out.

Edited by Ashara, 04 August 2005 - 07:12 PM.

#36 Forgotten Angel

Forgotten Angel
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:52 PM

I find the idea of this fascinating. I've always loved the Planescape setting for tabletop RPGs. Tried PST, but I never could get into playing as the Nameless One. I've a bit of a hard time putting myself in the shoes of a male protagonist, though I very much wanted to like it.

A post-ToB 'mod,' if you will, would be a wonderful adventure. I agree that new NPCs would be a must; much as I love some of the Bioware bunch, more and more when I replay the game, I find myself using mod characters instead. I think retaining the PC's level as is would be neccessary, however, the new companions needn't be so high and mighty. In fact, as someone (I apologize for forgetting the name) mentioned previously, keeping lower level NPCs alive and well could be an interesting challenge. The main PC really needn't level any more past a certain point, probably, though where to draw the line, I don't know. Personally, as far as 'levels' for my PC go, I'd be plenty happy with gaining special abilities along the course of the storyline. These abilities wouldn't need to be anything incredibly powerful, just something interesting. Too tired to define 'interesting' at the moment, however.

I'd think that the whole thing would be doable, probably along the scope of some of the big mods out there now. Should plans ever come to fruition for anything, I'd be happy to help with storyline ideas or a bit of writing and such. Definiting intriguing. Ashara, you do come up with the most interesting things.

#37 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:36 AM

Thank you - I am just thinking on what to do after BG1NPC for a couple of years before DA. I definetly like both Mongoose and Andyr's suggestions better than my initial plan. While I can see how to implement Mongoose's hook for the areas I was interested in (Thay), Andyr's PS setting suggestion attracts me by the same reason, that it attracts you - love the setting, can't play PST.

It's all not serious however, at least for now. I am usually a 'doer' rather than a 'dreamer', but this is definetly just throwing crazy ideas around without commiting to anything.

#38 --Gaias--

--Gaias--

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:17 PM

I have a question. Is it possible to make a npc do all the wonderful fancy stuff you make them do in the game, out of a exported character file? I mean can you write and code a "blank" npc and have weidu use the exported .chr file?

#39 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:41 AM

And, of course, there is also an obvious approach: a group of young and eager adventurers is going to research the paths of the Bhaalspawn wars. Of course, they may never find out what'll happen to CHARNAME, but the events of TOB influenced many people and caused unrest in many groups (Zhentarim come to mind, or the remaining Bhaalspawn cults) - and a hero, obviously, needs to step forward.

Sigh! Why do I have this strange idea that they absolutely have to start in Evereska? :D

#40 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:29 AM

I have a question. Is it possible to make a npc do all the wonderful fancy stuff you make them do in the game, out of a exported character file? I mean can you write and code a "blank" npc and have weidu use the exported .chr file?

Do you mean 'can the Charname' be made into a joinable NPC? Or do you mean can you export a CHR and make it into CRE? The latter being how most of new NPCs are created, the former - you need a Weidu guy who'd know if WeiDU can decompile CHR, and then recompile it into CRE, writing ASCII to assign new scripts, dialogues, reflagg it etc.

And, of course, there is also an obvious approach: a group of young and eager adventurers is going to research the paths of the Bhaalspawn wars. Of course, they may never find out what'll happen to CHARNAME, but the events of TOB influenced many people and caused unrest in many groups (Zhentarim come to mind, or the remaining Bhaalspawn cults) - and a hero, obviously, needs to step forward.

Sigh! Why do I have this strange idea that they absolutely have to start in Evereska? :D

That is very much along the lines of what Mongoose is suggesting, I think. Evereska as a starting location, or even a place to visit is a tricky thing, because it imposes strict racial restrictions not only on the main character but also on the whole party.

For a modder with his/her limited resources, if one can make Evereska, with its very specific outlay and look, I think that it will end up being not a starting location, but an Athkatla like centre of the game with a few outside sidequests.

The source of area graphics is the first and the single most important problem to solve for any total conversion before it is started.

Each location has to be justified and populated with characters and quests, and matter to the story, before it is even started to be made by a wizard who can do areas.

Coolness factor is important, but I think for the amount of work, the locale needs to be more universally accessible than Evereska.

Edited by Ashara, 11 August 2005 - 07:36 AM.