Photo

Give level cap back! Plz....

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:15 AM

Playing through BG1 with lvl 15 char is... umm... not so challeging... Is there any way to restore BG1,TotSC,BG2:SOA and BG2:ToB XP caps?
its partially(for BG2:SOA and TOB) done here http://www.shsforums...showtopic=16371 (and done pretty good IMHO)
I already asked for BGT support there, but not sure that i'll be heard...
GIEF EPEX! © Believe @ Lightning' Blade(WoW)

I often type on shitty keyboards and in dark places. So dont mind my typos. PLEASE.

kkthxbye...

#2 masteraleph

masteraleph
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:37 AM

Assuming you're playing with a full party, you should never be at level 15 after completing BG1/TotSC, even if you play through DTotC and NSotC. Well, also assuming that you install the optional experience bonus modifier that's an option in BGT-weidu install. Without DTotC/NSotC, you'll hit what the level cap was for the original TotSC, well, sometime in the middle of TotSC.
I also think that restoring the BG2 level cap is way beyond the scope of this mod.

#3 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:56 PM

With full party its way to easy. Soloing without level cap is too easy too. I dont ask for rstoring BG2 levelcap - its done by the mod i mentioned. I'm asking about BG1 levelcap.

I often type on shitty keyboards and in dark places. So dont mind my typos. PLEASE.

kkthxbye...

#4 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:07 PM

What about deleting XPCAP.2da from your override folder?
Avenger

#5 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:09 PM

That'd let you get to BG2 XP levels during BG1 though.

I suggest using Ding0's Experience fixer.

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:52 PM

That'd let you get to BG2 XP levels during BG1 though.

I suggest using Ding0's Experience fixer.

View Post

Hety, what mods have you installed and what is the exact XP your character and everyone ended up with during the transition (you could post your savegame BALDUR.GAM before the transition I guess)? If it is DSotSC and NTotSC and TGC that are cumulating in lots more experience then maybe there should be a separate modification for the XP cap, just as an example.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#7 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

BGT + Ease of use + refinements + item upgrade. In the end its still pure BG1. My friend managed to get his fighter/thief and edwin to something like 300к xp each. Its pretty easy. Killing flesh golems or wyvers... Sarevok died in 15 seconds. U can get any amount of xp u wish in BG1. Thats why i think the mod i mentioned doing its job pretty well, limiting xp for separate chapters, not only for the whole game.

My two friends and i managed to get 35k xp BEFORE nashkel mines. Easy.

kkthxbye...

#8 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:33 AM

Its pretty easy. Killing flesh golems or wyvers... Sarevok died in 15 seconds. U can get any amount of xp u wish in BG1.

hang on - am i misreading this? are you saying that you've been power-gaming (harvesting xp from infinite flesh golem spawns, etc), and now yr game is ruined? at what point is this a bug a modder needs to fix?

stopping the infinite spawn of flesh golems - good idea.
lowering the xp of wyverns, if necessary - decent idea.
coding up an xp cap to stop ppl cheating? i can think of better uses of ppl's time.

'i broke my game and now my game is broken' is a problem that requires user intervention, not modder intervention...

apologies, however, if this is not what yr saying.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#9 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 03:31 AM

It isnt ;) I'm not harvesting flesh golems. But its pretty easy to get around 500-700k xp with figther/thief combo(89k x6 party members). You just need to explore all areas and try to do all quests. It IS actually interesting so i prefer to do it. And in the end i'm uber leveled, with good gear and nothing can stop that caracter.

For party... Bah.. few lvl 10 chars can rip anyone to shreds.

That why i think that lvl caps are GOOD, not evil. We are playing online with friends and we got agreement to decrease XP every time we are going to get higher than 89k before and 161k after Sarevok. If it could be done automatically... hope u got my point ;)

kkthxbye...

#10 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 03:48 AM

It isnt ;) I'm not harvesting flesh golems. But its pretty easy to get around 500-700k xp with figther/thief combo(89k x6 party members). You just need to explore all areas and try to do all quests. It IS actually interesting so i prefer to do it. And in the end i'm uber leveled, with good gear and nothing can stop that caracter.

For party... Bah.. few lvl 10 chars can rip anyone to shreds.

That why i think that lvl caps are GOOD, not evil. We are playing online with friends and we got agreement to decrease XP every time we are going to get higher than 89k before and 161k after Sarevok. If it could be done automatically... hope u got my point ;)

View Post

can you post your BALDUR.GAM from your savegame? There is some interesting statistical info that I would like to peek at. Rename it to .txt extension so that the forum will allow you to attach

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#11 Promilus

Promilus
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:58 AM

After doing main quests....disarming tons of traps and opening dozens of locks my team reaches (6 ppl) about 300.000xp for each...There are no -=exp per NPC=- rewards only all -=party exp split=- rewards...so I gathered about 1,800,000 exp...Think about solo character...Fighter type can get about 14th lvl...it isn't so much...Hety-no exp cap needed-just uninstal some mods and u will have less quest...this mean also less exp.
Correct me if I am wrong...*continuity* in BGT should mean also that all characters that were in party after the end of story of BG1 would remain their levels, class and stats...If this is correct it means that in my game Jaheira would start as 8lvl fighter and 9 (?) lvl druid in Irenicus dungeon...and Imoen as 12lvl thief-for now without mage class...

// Off Topic...send me PM or something...what should I do to end the final chapter of BG1...I did all quests from TotSC and when enter BG again the Palace was closed, Flaming Fist Barracks were empty...I couldn't find Belt or Eltan anywhere...WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?//

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:42 AM

After doing main quests....disarming tons of traps and opening dozens of locks my team reaches (6 ppl) about 300.000xp for each...There are no -=exp per NPC=- rewards only all -=party exp split=- rewards...so I gathered about 1,800,000 exp...Think about solo character...Fighter type can get about 14th lvl...it isn't so much...Hety-no exp cap needed-just uninstal some mods and u will have less quest...this mean also less exp.
Correct me if I am wrong...*continuity* in BGT should mean also that all characters that were in party after the end of story of BG1 would remain their levels, class and stats...If this is correct it means that in my game Jaheira would start as 8lvl fighter and 9 (?) lvl druid in Irenicus dungeon...and Imoen as 12lvl thief-for now without mage class...

// Off Topic...send me PM or something...what should I do to end the final chapter of BG1...I did all quests from TotSC and when enter BG again the Palace was closed, Flaming Fist Barracks were empty...I couldn't find Belt or Eltan anywhere...WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?//

View Post

Is this with the XP reduction component installed?

OffTopic Answer: You must speak with the Messenger of Ulgoth's Beard in Ulgoth's Beard to finish TotSC and allow you to re-enter the palace. Remember to read the readme in that there is a specific question in the FAQ and a dot point in the Known Issues section that tells you that the Messenger may have gone into hiding in one of the houses because of the Cult that steals Hurgan's dagger.

--------------
Retired Modder

#13 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:21 AM

I got NO mods with additional quests and such. Just pure BG: TotSC

kkthxbye...

#14 Promilus

Promilus
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:07 AM

It is normal in TotSC than a SINGLE character can get about 800.000 exp just for vital quests (i.e. Nashkel mines, killing Tranzig, Bandits camp, Cloakwood mines, mimics in 7 suns company, sewers monster, Iron Throne, Candlekeep again, BG again...Sarevok final battle...Durlag's Tower, werewolves island, Shandalar's cloak <vital=largest quest with greates exp or also plot quests>)
If u want to play TotSC with lvl cap just play it without BGT...Remember about good exp opponents: mimics, ankhegs, golems, ghasts etc. etc. Resting in wildernes area often cause ambushes...ambushes usually give 120-5000exp...so u see this may be a reason of your characters empovered Hety. If BGT WeiDU designers will apply lvl cap it should be optional because some people play lotsa mods because they WANT to have good characters in BG2:SoA-remember that gaining even 40th level in ToB isn't such easy thing...My last nice team get only about 37 (Anomen...always few levels higher)...and Jaheira before final chapter get 15th lvl with druid. So think about it like about TRILOGY...no caps because it is all one game <almost>

#15 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:17 AM

Playing w/o BGT is not an option... 1024x768 - only way to go :)
Optional XP cap - good idea.

kkthxbye...

#16 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:16 AM

Well, Tutu lets you play BG1 with the level cap AND 1024x768. But yes, if you're concerned at the excessive XP in BGT, you can always try the Experience Fixer mod, which often seems to get ignored presumably due to the sheer horror of not being level 238 by the end of the first chapter.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#17 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:00 AM

Ok. 50% xp reduction is a miracle ;) I dont even need to set difficulty to 'hard' or 'very hard' :) Thx sim :)

Edited by Hety, 12 August 2005 - 10:00 AM.

kkthxbye...