Boots of Speed and Ring of Free Action

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:09 AM

About boots of speed and ring of free action:
Boots of Speed apply x2 modification to movement speed(opcode 126)
Ring of Free Action give immunity to MODIFICATION of movement speed.
1. You put on boots - speed Dobled. You put on ring - it grants immunity to modification.
2. You take off boots - speed set to normal.
3. You put em back - but the speed is locked by ring.
4. When you take the ring off the boots do not apply its effect. They do that on equip only.

So to fix it we should give Ring of free action extended effect not only to lock speed modifier, but to set it to "normal". But monks and barbarians WILL have problems with that. I, myself, see no other way to solve this problem.

Edited by Ascension64, 12 August 2005 - 08:24 PM.

GIEF EPEX! © Believe @ Lightning' Blade(WoW)

I often type on shitty keyboards and in dark places. So dont mind my typos. PLEASE.

kkthxbye...

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:11 AM

Well BGT-WeiDU doesn't touch most items. So fair enough.

Edited by Ascension64, 12 August 2005 - 08:27 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 --Kastagir--

--Kastagir--

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:01 AM

Well BGT-WeiDU doesn't touch most items.  So fair enough.

View Post

I seem to remember these items behaving like this in vanilla BG2. Monks shouldn't gain any benefits from boots of speed anyways, as once they hit level 5, they can't be hasted or slowed (i.e. not affected by changes to movement rate). I'm pretty sure that's the intended behavior. There is a Baldurdash fix for the boots of speed, but it ends up having hasted characters with boots of speed moving at 4 times their original movement rate, so I don't think that is consistent with the vision of BG2.

If opinions matter, I'm all for resisting the urge to make BGT about fixes and more about faithfully putting all the content together in its original form (then people can add whatever mods/fixpacks they desire after the fact, but the 'pure' experience will be the default).

#4 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

Well BGT-WeiDU doesn't touch most items.  So fair enough.

View Post

I seem to remember these items behaving like this in vanilla BG2. Monks shouldn't gain any benefits from boots of speed anyways, as once they hit level 5, they can't be hasted or slowed (i.e. not affected by changes to movement rate). I'm pretty sure that's the intended behavior. There is a Baldurdash fix for the boots of speed, but it ends up having hasted characters with boots of speed moving at 4 times their original movement rate, so I don't think that is consistent with the vision of BG2.

If opinions matter, I'm all for resisting the urge to make BGT about fixes and more about faithfully putting all the content together in its original form (then people can add whatever mods/fixpacks they desire after the fact, but the 'pure' experience will be the default).

View Post

I do agree with what you are saying. The current fixed in BGT-WeiDU address issues that a real bugs (Sharteel always dying and not starting dialogue in the duel, Alora stutter bug, Eldoth/Skie dialogue bug, Angelo and jail, etc.), although there are also some new features that are added (Item shattering, Eldoth reminding about ransom, Ankheg armor, etc.). The weirdest ones are where the dialogue does not match what actually happens and all the redundant dialogue. To put such a thing in fixing a bug or making a tweak is the big question. I do know that some things in BGT-WeiDU are downright tweaks (such as making Kivan's stay longer before you kill Tazok) while some are more debatable (revised spells for NPCs). So I guess the most important thing is to collaborate with the fixpack people, if they still exist, and let them know what is different and what is not, hence the developer's documentation that I am doing.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#5 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:17 PM

Finally got the topics separated. If you want Ankheg armor, see the Magical Armor discussion thread. Here, we can discuss Boots of Speed and Ring of Free Action, although I don't believe that anything will be done about it.

Feel free to comment, however, on the issue.

Edited by Ascension64, 17 August 2005 - 08:19 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder