Photo

Throwing daggers discussion.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:49 AM

As soon as we got lots of item discussions here...
First of all we dont have any enchanted throwing daggers in BG1. That sux... Second thing(not actually concerning BGT) - those that we have(boomerang and firetooth) got 2d4 dmg... Throwing dagger - ok. Throwing bastard sword? Ugh... The funny thing - i've never seen a single fix to this madness.
GIEF EPEX! © Believe @ Lightning' Blade(WoW)

I often type on shitty keyboards and in dark places. So dont mind my typos. PLEASE.

kkthxbye...

#2 Promilus

Promilus
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:08 AM

There are no magic throwing daggers in BG1 but thre are some with NTotSC/BGT (I don't know if BGT add some o NTotSC)...throwing spears-as u know some spears may be thrown...why not use throwing swords? There are throwing knives, spears, hammers, axes....why not make throwing swords? (in some movies great heroes were throwing long swords into enemies)...hehehhe JOKE !
Also some weapons has been fixed to do other damage than their *kin*...i.e. Carsomyr is a great sword and as such should make 1d10 dmg instead of 1d12 (in unpatched BG2 it did)...DSotSC and TDD bring more weird weapons such as scimitars 3d3+3 and staves 2d2+2...the dmg is not constant for each weapon type..axes can make dmg 1d8, 1d10 or even 1d12 and there is nothing weird in that.

#3 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:07 AM

TDD... they gave priest restriction of ranger. Enough said, imho.
I'm talking about Vanilla BG1/2 here.
Carsomyr is the one and only +5 weapon in BG2. And he's only 1d12 sword out there. dont touch the Holy weapon :P
Scimitars 3d3? Wow. Its GREAT that i dont have those mods installed.
I'm just trying to say, that as soon as we got tons of 1d4 daggers and throwing weapons, which dmg is equal to their melee counterparts, why throwing daggers should be THAT overpowered? We dont have 2d8 throwing axes or 2d12 throwing greatswords(hehe!).
Why daggers? If there were ONE single Hackmaster +12©Lilarcor with crazy dmg... ok. Leave him be. But we got two similar throwing daggers that are just overpowered.

I often type on shitty keyboards and in dark places. So dont mind my typos. PLEASE.

kkthxbye...

#4 masteraleph

masteraleph
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

1) Honestly, BGT is not meant to be a be all and end all mod. I'm sure that once there's a final release out, people will begin more modding to insert things such as magical throwing daggers, but please don't complain about that issue

2) You've never seen a single fix to Firetooth because the presumption is that BIS/Bioware wanted it that way. While it's often decried as a problem, I've never seen anyone feel that it was a bug.

3) Carsomyr is a special sword. It's a Holy Avenger. If it had been kept truer to the ADnD sword it was modeled after, then without high int/wis, a paladin would essentially be taken over by it- it's a sentient sword and has quite a lot of power.

4) TDD added a lot of stupid things.

5) I'm not entirely sure what the point of the post is? These are general BG1/BG2 issues. If you have such a problem with them...make a mod to fix them, no?

#5 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:45 PM

5) I surely will :) I just want some discussion on that matter to figure out what to do :)

kkthxbye...

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:33 AM

And just for the record, BGT-WeiDU does not and will not try to modify 99% of the items in the game, even for BG1 ones. It uses existing ones in BG2. There are some slight exceptions (base items for item shatter, most scrolls that are letters to people have their magical ability removed, name and description changes), but none effect the way that the items work.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#7 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:14 AM

BGT and BGT-weidu aren't intended as rebalancing mods - they're basically engine conversions, with relatively minor plot changes in order to make the transition between BG1 and BG2 as seamless as possible and bug-fixes of outstanding bioware mistakes.

the reason for this is that engine conversions like BGT and Tutu are intended to be platforms for *other* mods to be installed on top of - so the fewer substantive changes they make, the more mods that can work with ithem (and the fewer users who will post outraged 'why did you change x?!?' comments).

if yr interested rebalancing various items in a BGT game, Hety, you might wish to contact zyraen, who has released an item nerfs mod, and get him to include yr suggestions - or make yr own rebalancing mod.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#8 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:20 AM

And just for the record, BGT-WeiDU does not and will not try to modify 99% of the items in the game, even for BG1 ones.  It uses existing ones in BG2.  There are some slight exceptions (base items for item shatter, most scrolls that are letters to people have their magical ability removed, name and description changes), but none effect the way that the items work.

View Post

yesyesyes....

***where's my BIG moderator's button**** :naughty: :lol:

oh, here it is!!!!!

CLOSED

:vbat:

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11