NPC

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:48 AM

Hmm, the dialogue does not seem to 'flow' in some parts; it is very choppy and has shifted emphasis because of it (It is very sweet. Like candy, what is it?). I would suggest some smoothing, something like this:

Vildamyr: We share a common interest. We both love wine. I have some wine from the north. Would you like a glass?
Althon: Fine, I will endure your company. (Althon takes a glass of wine from
vildamyr.) It is very sweet. Like candy, what is it?
Vildamyr: It is a winter wine. I like my wine sweet, just like my women, I guess you prefer a bitter red.
Althon: Yes, that is right. How could you tell?
Vildamyr: You love a woman who was like your favorite wine.

V: We share love for wine. Speaking of which, I have some good Northern 'nameofwine'. Care for a sip from my wineskin?
A: If I must endure your company... This is sweeter than candy, V. What is it?
V: Winter wine, one of my favorite. But you must prefer the bitter reds, A. Hmm, I should have thought about it.
A: Right you are; but what made you thinks so? Was I impolite enough to cringe while swallowing your offering?
V: No, no. But the woman you love is not sweet, and men's tastes are consistent in these two things -wine and women....

I would also suggest dividing this conversation into two - one about wine and women, and the second about women changing. These are two separate and interesting themes, and imho, they lose from being lumped together.

Edited by Ashara, 21 August 2005 - 10:49 AM.

#22 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:42 PM

Splitting this dialog is a good suggestion.Thank you Ashara. I have written a lot of dialog so far and my biggest concern is that all of the characters sound a bit different. My other concern is the dialog sounds natural with some conversations seeming awkward at times due to the relationship of the characters. (Althon you will learn in the MOD doesn?t like Vildamyr. So there should be some awkwardness in there conversations) I have been holding back at times not using my full vocabulary range because I don?t want all of the characters to speak unnaturally like a novel. I am an English literature professor (I live in Japan but I am Canadian) so at times I worry about how complex my written English can be at times. Ashara I like your writing style and your ideas are great! Would you like to write an NPC or contribute? There are many who need text, it might also be nice if someone could proof read my text once in a while.

Edited by leahnkain, 22 August 2005 - 12:19 AM.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#23 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:51 AM

Heya, yes, I can see that there is unease between the two characters, and it is great. I know well the challenges of making the characters to sound different - but I find that the character of each NPC carries you through in the end, even without distinctive speech patterns (ie Dynaheir, Imoen).

I agree that conversational language is different from the written, and that the five-lines-a-piece sentences do not exactly look great on the screen. Still, I think, some consideration needs to be given to the fact that after all, that text will end up being read, not heard, unless, like BioWARE you are going to voice every line. So, some beautification will actually be beneficial, imo.

I find the idea of the structure of the mod you are making awsome and I am glad that you, guys are pioneering that long-overdue turn toward the modules that can be handled by small teams, are unrelated to BG2, but made in IE. I, myself, would prefer to work relatively independently for a while, after the completion of BG1NPC. So, I will have to decline your nice offer (and I *am* flattered, of course).

Good luck to you, guys, and I am checking with anticipation on your progress.

#24 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:52 AM

Somebody proofing besides me!

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#25 Fluttering Butterfly

Fluttering Butterfly
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

Hey Sir Billy Bob, as soon as the modules are released could u tell us which NPCs are going to have quests or if some NPC plays a major role ? I'm not asking for a spoiler, just an advice for use certain NPCs  :D ....BTW, I think it'd be worthwile to have a list of NPCs with their own quests......Thx for the great job !!!

View Post

Are you going to give spoilers like the characters personalities. I guess Vildamyr and Althon aren?t good. Who are the main NPC?s? I agree with Mauro, I want to see some of NPC quests listed. I wonder who is the MOD team? Is it Sir Billybob,wizard and leahnkain? Can they tell us about themselves? This is the biggest idea for a Mod, finally no son of Bhaal story. If you need a woman?s voice with German accent I can help. My English isn?t so good yet. I am studying at Elmira college. I am going to get a microphone soon.

#26 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:24 AM

I second the Butterfly's request for previewing what you can put out for public previews of the NPCs and the amount of content planned for each (ie amount of banters initiated, do they interject with the main story-quests, possible topics of discussions, how much and NPC would interuct with the PC, etc). I know, that you might want to keep much of the info under wraps, not to spoil the NPCs stories etc, but perhaps, just a select one, to show it as an example? :)

#27 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

Here is some info about the starting lineup of NPCs:

Shadow - halfling thief, Chaotic Neutral
Rurik - dwarf fighter/cleric, Lawful Neutral
Dirbert - Human archer, Neutral Good

I made all three neutral aligned so reputation would be a factor this early in the game. It doesn't matter if you are going to play good or evil, they shouldn't leave you immediately and you won't have to listen to them bitch about how happy or mad they are about your rep.

I did this and then never bothered to add anything to change your rep. :blush: Mainly because I think solving a problem for a clan of kobolds is not something the common folk of Faerun are really going to care about. Reputation issues don't start until you head to Saltmarsh. Even then most of the quests do not raise or lower your reputation.

Charisma is a whole different issue. In Saltmarsh, the town is under stress from refugees coming in from the smaller villages that are getting raided and burned. You are a stranger in town, your reputation means nothing because they don't know you anyway. Your charisma however can effect dialogs with some peasants and stores. If you have a low charisma and you are a stranger, they don't want to talk to you. A paladin or any other high charismatic person, even unknown to them, can get people to open up and talk.

By the time you pick up Aesdale, you should have a full party that is basically good to neutral. You can pick up Althon, who is lawful evil, to start turning the party evil. There will be other evil NPCs later.

Remember people that I am no where near done. I suspect this project will take over a year to fully build. There will be changes and more opportunities for you to play evil or good as you see fit. As I mentioned in another thread, there will also be opportunities for you to change your alignment. Althon is your starting point if you want to become truly evil. You can always create a character that is evil but like in Candlekeep, it isn't realistic (great word for a fantasy game) to start that way. Unlike Candlekeep, you can actually guide your path to the dark side.

Classic Adventures

#28 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:30 PM

As for NPC banters my target is to create enough dialog to be comparable to the bioware NPC?s. The dialogs are clean?what I mean is it is similar to the bioware dialogs with no strong language or vulgarity. I think this way everyone can enjoy. I have no idea how many pages of dialog I have sent to Sir Billy Bob but I at this moment everyone has something to say. Some combinations of NPC?s have heavy dialog made for each other at this moment. For example, Aesdale, Althon and Blush. Althon, Markessa and Vildamyr. I hope in the future to flesh out all NPC?s so you can enjoy many interesting combinations and I want the player to feel everyone is useful. Every NPC will have there own side plot?hopefully. So this will make the game more enjoyable to reply over and over again. Maybe Sir Billy Bob can give a better idea of how many pages of dialog has been already created. Already it is a lot and more files are coming his way?

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#29 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:24 AM

For anyone who knows dialog files, most NPCs are having links in the 50s and 60s. So that means there are at least that many comments/statements made by each one. In some banters, the talking goes between 3 people but most are just 2. Erky and Rurik have the least. I am not sure why since I started out with them having more than the others, but maybe it is because I haven't really worked on them talking to Aesdale and Althon yet. Shadow and Dirbert both talk more to the later NPCs, with Shadow probably having the most dialog of anyone (didn't I say she was like Imoen?).

We have some banters that you will not see yet because they don't take place until the slaver mods (A1 - A4). I still have a few areas to make before then (Selgaunt and MistMoor) and I still have to wrap up this latest patch/update so you all can see the changes I have been working on.

Classic Adventures

#30 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:12 AM

Sounds cool. Thanks for info, guys. And, of course looking forward to the screenshots and other previews. :wub:

Oh, are you using PST or BG dialogue style?

#31 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

Oh, are you using PST or BG dialogue style?

:unsure: I didn't know PST had a different dialog style. I guess that means I am using BG. :)

Classic Adventures

#32 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

PST is:

SAY ~Before you stands a tall read-head girl. She turns to look at you: "So, shall we talk?"~
++ ~"Yes, let us talk."~ + GOTO SomewhereState

BG short-hand is:

SAY ~So, shall we talk?~
++ ~Yes, let us talk.~ + GOTO SomewhereState

BG long-hand is:

SAY ~(Turns to look at you) So, shall we talk?~
++ ~Yes, let us talk.~ + GOTO SomewhereState

#33 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:15 PM

Oh. Well I type them all into DLTCEP and export the results to D files. I would only need to write code like that if I was adding to existing files (like a mod for SoA). Looks like I used long-hand for those mods.

Classic Adventures

#34 Fluttering Butterfly

Fluttering Butterfly
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:32 PM

Who are the main NPC?s? I agree with Mauro, I want to see some of NPC quests listed. I wonder who is the MOD team?

Still no answer. Will you use any original sounds for the NPC'S, how about pictures? Will you post more screenshots for us to see :Tasty: Are any potrait pictures original?

#35 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:33 AM

Still no answer on what? We have 3 of the NPCs listed with some dialogs and stat info about each one. Portraits and soundsets can always change with the growth of this mod. Most of the NPCs have IWD soundsets right now (Althon has TheWizard's voice). I would gladly change any of them if someone out there is willing to make a soundset for me (make, not steal from a TV show or movie). Portraits come from various sources, some from IWD, some from other websites. We are working with someone to make originals for some NPCs.

I have already said what I can about quests. There is nothing else to add at this point. They aren't done but are planned for future chapters. Most of your questions could be answered by downloading and installing this mod.

Classic Adventures

#36 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:27 PM

the Read me also has alot of information. You should check it if you haven't read it yet.