Photo

NPC mod dialogs and quest - free to good mod home

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:56 AM

It irritated me to when I just started and then it belatedly dawned on me -only when when playing - that it's exactly as it should be - because I did not *want* to deal with Irenicus. I *thought* that Ellesime and PC were right - and as a result I got a predictable outcome that Ellesime smiled at me and walked away; as soon as I started role-playing a person who had been critical of Ellesime and repentant of his or her own harsh ways of dealing with everything - pretty much killing everyone that opposes him/her - I was through this dialogue in a flash, and I had no troubles with Rielev, nor with Irenicus himself - without reading the D's or TRA's.

That's why I am saying - it works as a mod - because it actually *manages* the events depending on the character's personality, as opposite to streamlining dialogue at him/her, by either all but flagging 'wrong' answers in red, or, on another end of the spectrum, letting the player to be a stupid and ugly jerk of any gender, race, class, alignment and still have the NPC drooling over him/her in no different way than NPC drools over someone beautiful, polite and noble. It has the admirable goal of letting PC Role-Play instead of 'allowing to see all the new content' and guaranteeing the advertised effect.

Edited by Ashara, 20 August 2005 - 05:57 AM.

#22 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:32 AM

Well, I can put out a mod that says "Guess what number I'm thinking of?" and if you're wrong you don't get to proceed and see the rest of my mod, but I don't know that I'd call that "role-playing."

Also, getting back on topic... reading D and TRA files makes us stronger human beings.

#23 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:03 AM

There's one plus of reading .d and .tra before playing (if one's intends to play): Alt-F7. For example, my particular tastes as a player require that no strong swear words must be present in the mod I am going to install. So, I once downloaded a mod(Fade Romance mod, I believe), pressed "Alt-F7" for the f-word, and, voila, here it was! Saved heaps of time, too.

#24 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:08 AM

I think that disclaimers can take care of that. Actually, you just gave me a wonderful RL idea, Kulyok :)

Well, I can put out a mod that says "Guess what number I'm thinking of?" and if you're wrong you don't get to proceed and see the rest of my mod, but I don't know that I'd call that "role-playing."

I think it would be fun - I am thinking that aftre I have wrapped up Kivan, I am going to do a beta run with all modded NPCs, and just picking whatever answer I feel like and see where I would go with them. I am thinking that my party will be: Kivan, obviously (but that's no fun, since I know my numbers) Amber, Delainy, Tsujatha and Solaufein. I played neither of them, and I am not familiar with their texts too closely. So, I think, it should be lots of fun :)

#25 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed, Minotaur :(. I still have a partially-coded (properly, by myself) version of Tobi NPC that never was. Shall I post it here?

#26 -Minotaur_In_Constant_Denial-

-Minotaur_In_Constant_Denial-

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:25 AM

Shed,

I will be sending you a PM. I just got back from some time away to rest comfortably.

I want to say again that I am NOT going off on anyone (except for Myself, maybe) in this post and I REALIZE and VALUE the help and support I have gotten from folk in this forum.

It's just sometimes I look over all that I have done writing wise, try to get it working in WeiDU or code a bit of difficult script...and feel a sudden STRONG urge to bite myself in the small of the back.

As I have said, there are spaces between tutorial that, to someone who knows what they are doing, are self explanitory. To IDIOTS LIKE MYSELF on the other hand...

I believe I WILL paste up some of my dialog for folks here to read, if only for them to tell me it sounds good (Or, if it sucks... ANY kind of reaction is welcome for in order to Have a reaction, the writing must affect you in SOME way, even if the effect is nausia inducing.)

More, I might ask around for a Code CHECKER... If I can figure out if my code is right then maybe I can figure out how to make heads and tails of putting it all together as step two.

Might be worthwhile to make a RANT/VENT forum for people like me. :) :rolleyes:

More later when I get home.

Minotaur In Mild Daze - "Feel The Authority Of My Horns

#27 -Minotaur_With_Hope-

-Minotaur_With_Hope-

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:56 AM

Well, it has been several weeks and I have been a REcoding machine!

I spent some quality time inspecting the inner guts of some of my favorite NPC mods and now have a greater understanding (SIC) of how things work.

Sorta.

I have been writing code as I see it presented, changing as needed and adding as appro. Now I have reached the point where I THINK I am getting the basics of a working NPC with the correct code more or less, but no real clue as to How it all works.

(Anybody ever hear that great comedy routine Who's On First? Well.. Same basic idea.)

Anyway, I have made some progress... All I can say is that if I ever DO get to the point where I can release MY GIRL, I will ensure she is worth having to have had to listen to my frequent bitching.

Minotaur With Hope! :)

#28 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:54 AM

Great to hear it ;)!

#29 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:58 AM

Huzzah! Glad to hear to stuck with it. :D

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#30 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:50 AM

Glad you people can put up with ME... Lord knows *I* couldn't.

Alright, a two quick questions, if I may (and if not I will commence to PMing people In The Know.

First: NPC Dies and is then brought back via temple or spell: How can I write a code (to tie in with dialog) to make her hostile/attack party until death? I have been told it is possible to make a code (Kindrick) where when they are dead they are dead, but I want her to be able to be rasied and come back pissed.

Dialog selection below: :)

---------------CUT/PASTE--------------------------

October resurrection dialog

BEGIN OCTOBRESUR

IF~~("October","resurected",1)~~THEN BEGIN OctobResurection00
SAY ~Uungh...I'm...I'm *ALIVE!* Alive again!~
IF~~THEN DO ~SetGlobal("OctoberResurected","LOCALS"1)~ EXTERN
~OCTOBRES01_00~
END

CHAIN BEGIN OCTOBRES01_00
SAY ~Who... Who did this? Who *DID* this to me!?!~
= ~It matters not! *YOU* <CHARNAME>! YOU lead this group and it was upon
your orders that I was brought back!
IF~~THEN REPLY ~Yes. I missed you, October. I couldn't stand the thought
of your being dead! Are you not glad to be alive?~ GOTO OctobVeng01
IF~~THEN REPLY ~Yes it was I. You are an important part of my group. I
need you alive and whole, as you are now, again. Lets get going.~ GOTO
OctobVeng02
END

IF~~THEN BEGIN OctobVeng01
SAY ~You...missed me.~
= ~YOU MISSED ME?!?~
= ~And so you stole me back from the dead, like a grave-robbing
ghoul?!? Tore me from the blessed embrace of my Goddess because you
couldn't stand the pain of not having me close by?!?~ EXTERN
~OCTOBRES02_00~
END

IF~~THEN BEGIN OctobVeng02
SAY ~You brought me back because you needed yet another sword arm? Stole
me from the folds of the Goddess's cloak because you couldn't be
bothered to find another fighter from your own realm?~
= ~How dare you.~
= ~HOW DARE YOU <CHARNAME>!~
EXTERN ~OCTOBRES02_00~
END

IF~~THEN BEGIN OCTOBRES02_00
SAY~I don't understand what you are so angry about, October. You were
dead. Meat cooling on the ground. I gave you life again, saved you!~
EXTERN ~OCTOBRES02_01~
END

IF~~THEN BEGIN OCTOBRES02_01
SAY ~Saved me?~
= ~You've CURSED ME, <CHARNAME>! CURSED ME!~
= ~For those of YOUR realm, life returned from death is a gift, I
imagine. For ME...for those of MY faith, it is a blasphemy! Evil and
profane! An abomination!~
= ~This isn't *LIFE* you've given me! It's a *NIGHTMARE!* A NIGHTMARE
existence of living death!~ EXTERN ~OCTOBRES02_02~
END

IF~~THEN BEGIN OCTOBRES02_02~
SAY ~Have you lost your mind, Tobi? Is your bra on to tight? You're
alive, alive and whole! Look at yourself, you're just fine. You're *NOT*
a zombie!~ EXTERN ~OCTOBRES03_00~
END

IF~~THEN BEGIN OCTOBRES03_00~
SAY ~You know not what you talk about <CHARNAME>. Maybe
this...renewed...state of being is acceptable to you, to your kind...~
= ~To ME... I've become, thanks to you, a breathing mockery of everything
I've ever considered to be human. You've taken me from my Goddess and
now she will believe I've turned my back to her.~
IF~~THEN REPLY ~That's the most ridiculous type of "faith" I've ever
heard of. I've given you your life back, Chill, you ought to be more
gratefull. Now shut up and get back into formation.~ EXTERN ~OCTOBRES03_01~
IF~~THEN REPLY ~I...I didn't know. I had no idea... Please believe me,
October, I never meant to cause you such pain. Is there anything,
*anything* I can do?~ EXTERN ~OCTOBRES03_02~
END

IF~~THEN BEGIN OCTOBRES03_01~
SAY ~You've cursed me like this and still expect me to jump at your
commands? I think not <CHARNAME>! In fact...~
= ~ Ah the hell with it. *DIE!*~
IF ~~ THEN DO ~LeaveParty()
Enemy()
Attack(Player1)~
IF~~THEN (WHEN "October" life at 15%) DO BEGIN FINALWORD01
SAY ~Th...thank you <CHARNAME>. I...I am sorry for at...attacking y...you,
but it was necessary. I sensed that you would n...not simply kill me in
cold blood.~
= ~Y...you've nearly k...killed me. N...now finish the j...job. Kill me!
End this half-life you raised me to. Finish me and l...let me return to
m...my Goddess's cloak.~
EXIT
END

IF~~THEN BEGIN OCTOBRES03_02~
SAY ~Yes there is something you can do for me, <CHARNAME>. You can kill me
properly.~
= ~No? I see from the expression in your eyes that you don't care for that
idea. Funny how you can interfere with another's life to bring them back,
but get squeamish over the idea of a mercy killing. That's what it would be
for me you know. A mercy.~
= ~Still you hesitate though, to do as I ask. Very well, I'll make it easier
for you. Come at me. Kill me <CHARNAME> for if you don't, I *will* butcher you
where you stand!~
= ~*DIE!*~
IF ~~ THEN DO ~LeaveParty()
Enemy()
Attack(Player1)~
IF~~THEN (WHEN "October" life at 15%) DO BEGIN FINALWORD02
SAY ~Th...thank you <CHARNAME>. Y...you've nearly k...killed me. N...now
finish the j...job. Kill me! End this half-life you raised me to. Finish
me and l...let me return to m...my Goddess's cloak.~
EXIT
END

----------------------------------

Second SHOULD be easy for those who know what they are doing, but...

The appeal (for me) in October is her dialog...meaning that she is a chatty b*tch. In her banters with <CHARNAME> I want to cover a bit, but I don't want to give away everything at once, so, if I have a line of code dialog going:

----CODE:---

IF~~THEN BEGIN Octob001_20
SAY ~Manda was my sister. She was younger than me by about three years and joined the Silverblades at the same time as I did.~
= ~Manda was a Wardancer, something along the lines of a bard, but her art was in the movements of battle. She could make the act of killing seem like the best type of performance art.~
= ~ I miss her. We were...very close.~
IF~~THEN REPLY ~I understand how you feel, well, sort of. Imoen is dear to me as well. She's almost like a sister, come to think of it.~
= ~ Can I ask you something else about your group?~ GOTO Octob001_16
IF~~THEN REPLY ~It sounds like it, and sounds as though you miss her terribly.~
= ~If I may ask... How did she die?~ GOTO Octob001_29

IF~~THEN REPLY ~Your tone when you say that you and Manda were close is odd. What do you mean?~ GOTO Octob001_30 *******

IF~~THEN REPLY ~It is important that we never forget our family and friends who have fallen.~
= ~October, I would like to know more but we're a little pressed for time right now Can I ask you about these things later perhaps?~ GOTO Octob001_28
END

OR

IF~~THEN BEGIN Octob001_07
SAY ~Co-leader actually, if there is such a term.~
= ~A man named Auric Maplebeard is nominally leader of my Blades, but he gained that position when our previous leader was killed in battle. I was second in command then as I am now, though I suspect that many in my group would side with me more than Auric if push came to shove.~

IF~~THEN REPLY ~Why did you not assume command when your previous leader was killed? If you were his second, the position should rightfully have been yours.~ GOTO Octob001_30 *******

IF~~THEN REPLY ~Really? This guy must be something special then.~
= ~What can you tell me about him? From his named, I'm guessing he's a dwarf, right?~ GOTO Octob001_25
IF~~THEN REPLY ~Sounds like you got sort of screwed. Anyway, I'd like to talk more with you but we're a little pressed for time just now. Can we continue this conversation a little later?~ GOTO Octob001_28
END
---------------------------

Though these strings of dialog (And I am using my old code so I know I need to make a few changes in general) have to do with different issues, BOTH have the option of GOTO Octob001_30 - Which is a "I don't want to talk about this now, maybe later" type string. (See code below)

----CODE:---

IF~~THEN BEGIN Octob001_30
SAY ~I'm sorry, <CHARNAME>, but that is not something I feel like discussing with you just now. Perhaps later.~
IF~~THEN REPLY ~Fair enough, but may I ask you about something else? GOTO Octob001_16
IF~~THEN REPLY ~That's okay, we need to get going anyway. Can we talk again later on?~ GOTO Octob001_28
END
----------

Now, in the course of the story IF October and <CHARNAME> get to be better friends, she might then feel comfortable in speaking of things that previously she didn't care too... Something brought up in banter 001_28 say, might not be okay to bring up again until maybe banter 004_01

If that makes any sense.

So, how can I link these so that WHEN the time comes for her TO talk about the whatnot she declined to answer in banter 001_28.... do I link 004_01 to... 001_???

Minotaur Making progress in coding but confused.
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#31 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:26 AM

Firstly, you know I put a lot of effort into fixing most of your dialogue coding, right? You did get that email right? I still have a copy.

For your first question, what I suggest you do is put a block in October's script.

Something like this:
IF
Dead()
Global("OctDead","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("OctDead","GLOBAL",1)
END

Then in the dialogue file (the main one, not B or J):

IF ~Global("OctDead","GLOBAL",1)~ OctobResurection00
SAY ~Uungh...I'm...I'm *ALIVE!* Alive again!~
=~Who... Who did this? Who *DID* this to me!?!~
= ~It matters not! *YOU* <CHARNAME>! YOU lead this group and it was upon
your orders that I was brought back!~
++ ~Yes. I missed you, October. I couldn't stand the thought
of your being dead! Are you not glad to be alive?~ + OctobVeng01
++ ~Yes it was I. You are an important part of my group. I
need you alive and whole, as you are now, again. Lets get going.~ +
OctobVeng02
END

Etc. I haven't checked the rest of your dialogue for errors, though.

So, how can I link these so that WHEN the time comes for her TO talk about the whatnot she declined to answer in banter 001_28.... do I link 004_01 to... 001_???

Set a local variable before you GOTO Octob001_30. You can check it later to find out where the previous conversation left off :).

Hope that makes some sense :).

#32 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:42 AM

IF~~THEN BEGIN OCTOBRES02_00
SAY~I don't understand what you are so angry about, October. You were dead. Meat cooling on the ground. I gave you life again, saved you!~
EXTERN ~OCTOBRES02_01~
END

F~~THEN BEGIN OCTOBRES02_02~
SAY ~Have you lost your mind, Tobi? Is your bra on to tight? You're
a zombie!~ EXTERN ~OCTOBRES03_00~
END

I am not good at coding, but it seems that in your October - PC dialogue, in these two places PC has only one thing to say, and it seems to be a very offensive one. (If someone in RL would say something about *my* bra, or call me a 'piece of meat' he would pick his teeth off the floor with broken arms, but it's just me.) Perhaps it is better if you provide additional responses, softer ones? Considering October's reaction, she will yell at PC anyway.

#33 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

On the coding note, October will be one who'd be saying these lines in game (cause you coded them as her lines, not PC replies), which is going to have a rather comic effect, I think...

#34 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:36 PM

Shed,

Yes my friend, I KNOW you put a lot of work into correcting my code...which was why I was trying to avoid PMing you again for a backup. I try not to bother people, though in this case...

Actually, I have about 90% of it, but the dialogs with CHARNAME are still giving me fits. I will PM I guess. On the Other hand, the banters with other NPC's I have and took to heart! I..think.

Kulyok,

About the dialog and how it sounds mean...

Hmmm, in hindsight you may be right, though that was NOT what I was trying for. I was trying to make it seem as though CHARNAME was asking her in disbelief, though the comment about the bra was sarcasm. The fact is, if she were DEAD, she WOULD be "Meat, cooling on the ground."

Still... You are correct in that it does sound a bit as though CHARNAME is :bi:

I will edit.

Guest,

So, I have this coded so October is saying CHARNAME's lines? HOW did I do THAT? :mellow: Better, how do I change it?

Minotaur In Mod Related Neurosis... :wall: :D

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.

#35 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:15 AM

PC's lines are coded just like you coded them EVERYWHERE ELSE with the IF ~~ THEN REPLY structure (or shortened to ++ ~ shorthand structure). The EXTERN or GOTO plus SAY structure is reserved for the NPC lines. It puzzles me why you thought that bloack should be any differemt. The proper syntax would be:

IF~~ OctobVeng02
= ~How dare you.~
++ ~I don't understand what you are so angry about, October. You were
dead. Meat cooling on the ground. I gave you life again, saved you!~ + OCTOBRES02_01
END

IF~~ OCTOBRES02_01
SAY ~Saved me?~
= ~You've CURSED ME, <CHARNAME>! CURSED ME!~
= ~For those of YOUR realm, life returned from death is a gift, I
imagine. For ME...for those of MY faith, it is a blasphemy! Evil and
profane! An abomination!~
= ~This isn't *LIFE* you've given me! It's a *NIGHTMARE!* A NIGHTMARE
existence of living death!~
++ ~Have you lost your mind, Tobi? Is your bra on to tight? You're
a zombie!~ + OCTOBRES03_00
END

#36 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:17 AM

Or, if you fancy the full structure:

PC's lines are coded just like you coded them EVERYWHERE ELSE with the IF ~~ THEN REPLY structure (or shortened to ++ ~ shorthand structure). The EXTERN or GOTO plus SAY structure is reserved for the NPC lines. It puzzles me why you thought that bloack should be any differemt. The proper syntax would be:

IF~~ THEN BEGIN OctobVeng02
= ~How dare you.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I don't understand what you are so angry about, October. You were
dead. Meat cooling on the ground. I gave you life again, saved you!~ GOTO OCTOBRES02_01
END

etc

In other words ALWAYS use SAY for NPC, REPLY for PC... You could use SAY for PC is by assigning Player1 dialogue file to him/her etc, but it's usually unnecessary.

#37 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

Ongoing thanks Guest,

The problem I have with the code is it seems to be such an imprecise kind of thing. I've read the "Guide to banter" tutorial by Blue, and this is the closest thing I could come up with for following those directions... Not to mention the fact that others have told me that sometimes other things must be done.
I mean, you can use CHAINs... sometimes. Unless...something. Except when...Something else...

Fer instance - If I want to talk to...Mazzy, say...

------------------------------------------

IF ~InParty("Mazzy")
See("Mazzy")
!StateCheck("Mazzy",STATE_SLEEPING)
GLOBAL("MazzyOctoberTalk","GLOBAL", 0)~ THEN BOCTOB OctoberMazzyBanter01
~Mazzy, I've been wondering about something...but I'm hesitant to ask you about it.~
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("MazzyOctobTalk","GLOBAL", 1)~ EXTERN ~BMAZZY~ OctoberMazzyBanter01_00

-----------------------------------------------

//Okay, First banter for Mazzy, above, so it is "0" going up to "1" - gotcha.

Opening banter, so we stop and do a:

"IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("MazzyOctobTalk","GLOBAL", 1)~ EXTERN ~BMAZZY~ OctoberMazzyBanter01_00"

In order to get to a section, in this case OctoberMazzyBanter01_00, where the fun REALLY begins.
-----------------------------------------------

CHAIN2
BMAZZY OctoberMazzyBanter01_00 // Use CHAIN2 as for reasons unclear CHAIN will not work
SAY~What is it October? I have very few secrets so please ask me if you wish to know something.~
== BOCTOBER
~I am just wondering... Why you seek to be something other than what you are?~
== BMAZZY
~I do not understand.~
=
~What do you mean?~
== BOCTOBER
~It is clear that you wish to be a paladin. You've said as much. Yet from what I've seen you already live your life with honor and virtue.~
=
~Why are you not satisfied to be what you are?~
== BMAZZY
~I strive to be the very best, the most pure of heart and mind. I wish to be one as those who are christened Paladin.~
=
~Anything else is but a vauge shadow.~
== BOCTOBER
~But it is impossible.~
=
~From what I understand of this realm, halflings cannot be paladins~
== BMAZZY
~Tis true.~
=
~More or less.~
=
~While it would prove difficult for one such as myself to become a true paladin, there is possibly a way, so I have heard. It involves changing the constants of this universe.~
=
~Finding the path is difficult, one can venture through the archives of the Forgotten Wars and seek enlightment there. One can possibly get information of the path from an unlikely group of mages known as The Gibberlings Three...if one can find them...~
=
~Or one can simply search the vastness of space outside of this realm...though that can take some good while.~
== BOCTOBER
~How can one explore space?~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BMAZZY OctoberMazzyBanter01_02
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("JAN")~ THEN EXTERN BJAN OctoberMazzyBanter01_01
END
END

------------------
// Oo-kay. We HAVE to sort of stop here, because someone else wants to horn into the conversation. Jan has something to say, so... since the game checks from bottom up we write the code and proceed.
------------------

APPENDI BJAN
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberMazzyBanter01_01
SAY ~I believe, October, that Mazzy is referring to an exploration of the mind.~
= ~It is a null-like space she is referring to I suspect. One that is explored with the senses while the body lies mostly inert. Such a thing happened to my Uncle Arlo once. He was mostly inert in his cot outside his bungalow in Trademeet when...
DO ~FadeToColor([30.0],0) Wait(5) FadeFromColor([30.0],0)~
= ~And to top it all, he was also not happy that we hid his pants.~
= ~Never spoke to either of us again. I've always felt bad about that...~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberMazzyBanter01_02
END
END

-----
//Written In Case Jan IS in the party.

OR Directly to: APPENDI BMAZZY OctoberMazzyBanter01_02, if he is Not.
-----

APPENDI BMAZZY OctoberMazzyBanter01_02
~The exploration I am referring to is of the mind. We are all slaves to this.~
= ~You can find many incredible things in this...null-space...including a way for me to have the possiblity of becoming a paladin!~
= ~As I said, it is not easy, and even when the path is found, the journey may take several days or even weeks, dependant upon one's connection with the vastness of the null-space, but it is possible.~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB October#Mazzy#Banter01_03
END
END

---
Fair enough, BUT I am told that I have to end this here and start yet Another banter, OctoberMazzyBanter01_03, to keep going...instead of just CHAINing it.

Leading to.
---

APPENDI BOCTOB OctoberMazzyBanter01_03
~I'm afraid I don't understand, Mazzy.~
= ~How can space make you a paladin?~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BMAZZY OctoberMazzyBanter01_04
END
END

And so on up the number line until... Another NPC wants to butt in again. But assuming I don't want another of my NPC's to enter the conversation I STILL Can't make one long CHAIN 'till the end, and how long each section CAN be is a lil vauge.

:wall: :wall: :wall:

(All information taken from "Road to banter" and Misc e-mail advice I have gotten from various people In The Know. At least as far as I can follow.)

Minotaur With Headache. - Going to look over an UnTRAfed mod I Know works right. :)

They are wrong.

#38 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

You're looking at crazily old docs/mod samples if you're using CHAIN2 and APPENDI. The few mods I know of that use that code have explicit warnings not to use that code, in fact. Blue's tutorial has been updated in any halfway reputable place to remove such references.

#39 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

Min, try this one, it is not the best-organized, but has the examples of a few structures:

http://forums.gibber...?showtopic=2822

#40 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:35 AM

So, as I understand it from that tuto you posted the link to, guest, I CAN use CHAINs and/or CHAIN2 after the first (Establishing) block provided that no other NPC/PC wants to insert a comment - and have maybe two or three blocks of code instead of a million little ones...

Thus:

----------------------
IF ~InParty("Aerie")
See("Aerie")
!StateCheck("Aerie",STATE_SLEEPING)
GLOBAL(AerieOctobTalk","GLOBALS",1)~ THEN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02
~Tell me Aerie, have you seen much of this realm?~
DO ~SetGlobal("AerieOctobTalk","GLOBALS",2)~ EXTERN ~BAERIE~ OctoberAerieBanter02_00
END

(ABOVE IS THE BEGINNING/ESTABLISHING BLOCK, IN THIS CASE THE SECOND BANTER. BELOW IS THE FIRST CHAIN AND WE'RE OFF AND RUNNIN.)

CHAIN2 BAERIE OctoberAerieBanter02_00
~I've seen a good bit of it Tobi, traveling with my Uncle Quayle and his circus. We've been through most of the regions of the Sword Coast at one time or another, at least briefly.~
== BOCTOB
~So the Sword Coast is that large then is it?~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BAERIE OctoberAerieBanter02_02
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("Minsc")~ THEN EXTERN BMINSC OctoberAerieBanter02_01
END

(NOW, BECAUSE MINSC HAS SOMETHING TO SAY, I HAVE TO STOP THIS CHAIN AND PUT IN HIS APPEND. IF HE WAS NOT SPEAKING, I COULD JUST KEEP THIS CHAIN GOING STRAIGHT THROUGH UNTIL THE END?)

APPEND BMINSC
== BMINSC IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("MINSC")~ THEN ~Sword coast is big. It must be big to contain the might of Minsc and Boo!~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BAERIE OctoberAerieBanter02_02
END
END

(AND NOW THAT MINSC HAS HAD HIS SAY WE ARE BACK TO THE MAIN DIALOG - AERIE...)

APPEND BAERIE
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberAerieBanter02_02
SAY ~It's large enough, when one gets to the edges of it. Larger than you might think from the few little towns nestled around this area.~
== BOCTOB
~Do you have a favorite place Aerie?~
== BAERIE
~Well, Candlekeep is nice, relaxing I mean...for the most part. Uncle Quayle didn't take the circus there very often though for it is to small a place to support regular business. I think my favorite place might be Tethyr. Maybe.~
== BOCTOB
~Why?~
== BAERIE
~It is a beautiful place, lots of wild beauty I mean.~
=
~Animals and birds. I feel more at home there than nearly anywhere else. We never stayed long though, so really, the circus is the place where I feel most comfortable. Why do you ask?~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02_04
IF ~Global("OctobSwordBack","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02_03
END
END

(UNTIL I HAVE TO STOP FOR NEW BLOCKS TO COVER EACH VARIABLE...)

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberAerieBanter02_04
SAY ~Because I've been thinking more and more about getting home. Back to my own realm. More, I've been thinking that it may not be possible at all. In that case, I'm stuck here...and if this is to be my new home I would like to learn all I can of it before I choose a place to settle down.~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02_05
EXIT

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberAerieBanter02_03
SAY SAY ~I've been thinking. It's nice that I can go home now, if I want to, but I must admit that this is a beautiful world you have here. I might just decide to stay for awhile, to maybe live here for a time. If I do, if this is to be my new home for awhile, I would like to learn all I can of it before I choose a place to settle down.~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02_06
EXIT

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberAerieBanter02_05
SAY ~Oh my! I never thought of that. I know what it's like to feel lost and far from home. The Sword Coast, from what little I have gathered of it through the circus, is not a bad place to call home though. It is not the lands of the Avariel, but it is pleasant enough.~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02_07
EXIT

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberAerieBanter02_06
SAY ~Oh my! I never thought of that. The place you call home is very important to one's well being, like me with my circus.~
=~ The Sword Coast, from what little I have gathered of it, is not a bad place to call home though. It is for the most part friendly, and luch and green. It's not the lands of the Avariel, but it is pleasant enough.~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02_07
EXIT

(AND ONCE THAT IS COVERED I CAN GO BACK TO THE MAIN CHAIN BLOCKS)

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberAerieBanter02_07
SAY ~That's good to know. Should it turn out that I *am* to remain and make my new home here, it would be wonderful to have a guide. Might you be interested Aerie?~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02_09
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("Korgan")~ THEN EXTERN BKORGAN OctoberAerieBanter02_08
EXIT

(Briefly... See the bit for MINSC, above)

APPEND BKORGAN
== BKORGAN IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("KORGAN")~ THEN ~If'n she ain't, I'd be pleased t' take ya 'round th' world', if'n ye' gettin' me meanin', October.~
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BAERIE OctoberAerieBanter02_09
END
END

(AND AGAIN)

APPEND BAERIE
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberAerieBanter02_09
SAY ~ ~I?I would be happy to tell you anything you wish to know. Anything I can. I don't know the lands intimately, but I will tell you what I can.~
== BOCTOB
~No, you misunderstand me Aerie. If I remain here, I would like a *guide*. A companion. Someone to travel with and show me the lands. Would you be interested?~
== BAERIE
~Oh my! I...I don't know October. I've never travelled alone, without the circus I mean. Not until now in any case...and...and I do have my responsibilities to <CHARNAME> to consider.~
IF ~Global("OctobSwordBack","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02_11
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BOCTOB OctoberAerieBanter02_10
END
END

(ONCE MORE FOR MORE VARIABLES...)

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberAerieBanter02_10
SAY ~Well just keep it in mind Aerie. I have an idea that we both still have some way to go yet with <CHARNAME>, and there will be ample opportunity to discuss it later. Perhaps I'll even find a way to return to my normal home.~
== BAERIE
~Hmmmmm...~
EXIT

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OctoberAerieBanter02_11
SAY ~Well just keep it in mind Aerie. I have an idea that we both still have some ways to go with <CHARNAME>. There will be ample opportunity get to know one another better and to discuss these things later.~
= ~Perhaps I'll even talk you into returning with me to Trazlour and visiting my home with me.~
== BAERIE
~Hmmmmm...~
EXIT
END

(AND DONE WITH THIS BANTER.)
----------------------------------------------

BUT *IF* I did NOT have all those NPC interuptions and variables for SWORDBACK (Part of her...quest) I could do one long CHAIN?

I'm tryin' here people...

Minotaur Seeking Higher Learning

They are wrong.