Meet Erky Timbers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

Erky Timbers (name and basic character idea comes right from the Sunless Citadel mod)

Stats:

Cleric/Illusionist, Priest of Baravar Cloakshadow, levels 2/1

Strength- 13
Intelligence- 17
Wisdom- 16
Dexterity- 15
Constitution- 15
Charisma- 9

BIO:

When asked about his past, Erky Timbers tells you that he is an illusionist and priest of the gnome god Baravar Cloakshadow, the god of gnome mages. He speaks the languages of common, kobold, goblin, and his gnome dialect. He was trained as a protector of his gnome village outside of the Cormyr region. He grew up learning how to fight goblins that were always attacking his village.

His instructors realized early on that he was good with magic and not the sword. So they taught him how to cast illusions against the goblins. He was very good, if he does say so himself. However, during one raid against the goblins, he was mortally wounded. His patrol found him dying and raced him back to the clerics for healing.

Erky says that while lying on the table in the temple, he had a vision from the god Baravar Cloakshadow. Baravar told him that he would not die because the god had a task for him. He was to go find the missing tome, 'Treasure of the Golden Hills.' The god told him that he must recover this important tome for his people.

So now Erky is a cleric/illusionist. He knows what his life's task is and feels it is his duty to inspire other gnomes about their gods. Although Baravar never told him where the tome could be found, he knows that Baravar will give him the knowledge he needs when Erky is ready for it. He was traveling to the town of Saltmarsh when he took the wrong road out of Oakhurst and got captured by the goblins.

Plans for Erky:
Erky should piss off just about any evangelical person out there :lol: . If not, I didn't do something right. He is basically "born again" and has to tell everyone about it. Usually to the point of irratation (we all know someone like this). Although openminded enough to know humans aren't going to worship his god, they should at least worship a god.

Erky has several banters and interjections already about gods, worship, and even his quest. What is his quest? Read his Bio, that is as far as I have gotten for now.

Banter example:

This takes place in one of the inns, Oakhurst, Saltmarsh, or MistMoor. Probably at Saltmarsh since this would match the banter.

Erky: Rurik, do you have any more tobacco?
Rurik: Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking a good pipe before bed would help me sleep.
Erky: It has been along time since I last enjoyed a good night's sleep at an inn.
Rurik: Hmmm, I would think so, stuck down in that hole with those vile creatures. Tell ya what, why don't we send the kids on to bed, so we can both enjoy a good pipe.
Erky: Sounds good to me. I'll go order us a round or two to help our thirst.
Rurik: Good, good. When ya get back, tell me about Baravar. I don't know much about him.
Erky: Gladly. In return, please tell me about Marhammor Duin, he is the one dwarven god I have never heard anyone talk about.
Rurik: Really? Well then we have much to discuss.

One of Erky's better moments (setting is the first meeting with the lizardmen, after their shaman recommends killing you):

Erky: I sense lots of hostility in this one. For a priest, you sure are hot-tempered. Have you thought about converting to a more peaceful god? You and I shou--
PC: Erky! This is no time for evangelism!
Lizardman Shaman: Praise Semuanya, I should slay that little one right now and eat him.

Attached Files

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#2 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:45 PM

Cute! I love gnomes :)

I am not sure about FR canon, but for me 'evangelism' stuck right out. Perhaps, a more neutral: No time for preaching!

I can't help but smile at the picture of those two smoking a pipe together and having a theological dispute; I think the ending though is a tad too forced compared to the tone of the whole convo. Perhaps:

Rurik: Good, good. When ye get back, we can trade a tale or two, about Baravar and what have you.
Erky: Gladly. I'd hear of Marhammor Duin, if it pleases you...
Rurik: Aye, aye, much to talk about, between a good pipe and a mug of ale.

#3 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:50 AM

"preaching" :doh: Sometimes, the simplist words work so much better.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website