Meet Dirbert

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

Dirbert (Source - an adventurer-wannabe in Ulmar Hills)

Archer, level 1

Stats:

Strength- 18/45
Intelligence- 11
Wisdom- 14
Dexterity- 16
Constitution- 17
Charisma- 12

Bio:

When asked about his past, Dirbert reminds you that he grew up in the same village of Oakhurst that you did. His parents weren't the successful adventuring types like yours. They are poor farmers that barely get by each year. The constant fear of lack of food for his family helped Dirbert work harder at his skills of archery and hunting.

Dirbert has assisted the village's militia by volunteering to scout for orcs, goblins, wolves, and other unfriendly creatures that sometimes plague Oakhurst. He has always hoped that his success at archery events and other competitions will someday bring him to one of the big cities and get him away from his poor farmlife.

Plans for Dirbert:

Dirbert is a work in progress. I haven't decided what to do with him. Right now, he is a mix of Minsc/Garrick/Kivan/Valygar without the Eeyore (donkey from Whinnie the Pooh) attitudes on life that the last two have. He is basically an older human teenager that has just lost his family and so his emotions are all over the place. He wants to do good (Neutral Good alignment) but his solo hunting over time keeps him from being Lawful or Chaotic. He feels kind of lost right now.

Dirbert's parents are both half-elves. So what do you get when two half-elves breed? Who knows? Dirbert has the strength and physical features of a tall human but has the eyes of an elf and even some of the facial features. He has no resistances like normal half-elves. I listed him as human because that is the way most people would view him on a first time meeting.

Dirbert is somewhat goofy like Garrick or Minsc. His soundset is from IWD and you will hear that he makes several jokes about the task at hand. Most of his banters are with Shadow whom he has associated with as a little sister and sometimes teases her like one.

There are several benefits to having Dirbert in your party. One, he can kill anything but skeletons and bosses of the citadel in one hit (though not always). Two, Rurik will give him a special item from his store if the two of them spent time adventuring the citadel together. Three, he trains Aesdale in the correct use of daggers (increase in proficency). Four, he does have some good dialog with everyone (not yet, I just noticed that I need to include some more).

However, Dirbert does not have any future quests. He is troubled by what happened (have the gyspy women talk to him) but this will only increase his determination to stop the slavers. He has no reason to leave you and you have no reason to keep him. It is up to you.

Banter with Althon:

Dirbert - Hey, Althon have you seen many battles? I watched you in battle and you are truly impressive!
Althon - I don't like violence, Dirbert. I'm a businessman and blood is a big expense. Tell me, do the people of your village always have a peculiar odor amongst them?
Dirbert - What do you mean? Do you say I smell bad? (sniffs self) I just had a bath at the last inn.
Althon - I am sorry Dirbert, perhaps it is the smell of poverty. Now if you don?t mind I have better things to do. I feel no need in wasting my time talking with you.

Attached Files

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#2 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

Heh, his portrait does not go well with this banter. He looks rather fancy in this ornamental armour. I'd also suggest that Althon does not appologize in his last sentence and quibbles about explaining himself to the country lad, it sort of diminshes the insult. I'd also divide the banter into two, or make the connector (money) more explicit:

Dirbert - Hey, Althon, I watched you in battle and you are truly impressive!
Althon - I don't like violence, Dirbert. I'm a businessman and blood is a big expense.
Dilbert: Oh...
Althon: If you were a tad smarter you'd be impressed by my fortune rather than my ability to extricate myself out of the vulgar brawls.
Dilbert: Well, you know, they say in <NameofHisVillage> that money aren't really a measure of a man's worth.
Althon: Phew. Tell me, do the people of your village always have this peculiar... aroma about them?
Dirbert - What do you mean? That I smell bad? (sniffs self) I had a bath at the last inn!
Althon: The stench of poverty, then.
Dibert: Wh-what?

#3 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:51 AM

Maybe Ashara can help out a bit with the dialogs? I know you are very busy already Ashara, but if you are willing to help I am sure Sir BillyBob and Leahnkain would appreciate your help. :new_thumbs:

As for Dirbert I will always have him in my party at the beginning of the game. At the start you need the ranged attacks and as a ranger he can also do some scouting for you. In a roleplaying sense I trust Dirbert more than Shadow because he's of your home towm and not a stranger. Shadow being a captured thief might try and run away if you send her out to scout an area (unlikely you can script something like that but it would be quite realistic if you make her scout an area that she runs away if she is far enough from you).

#4 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:48 AM

Heh, it's one thing to drop by, and post a couple of smart-ass suggestions, and another thing entirely to work long-term on NPCs - and I know how much and how hard Sir and Leah work on that, and respect their commitment and hard work. I am watching CA with anticipation, to play it when it hits near-final version on Chapter 1.

#5 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:49 AM

Same here Ashara as I don't have the time at the moment to play or test a lot, but I'm really looking forward to this TC even though I haven't read any of the modules. :blush: Sir BillyBob and Leahnkain are doing a great job already and I am sure that the dialogs will improve and change as the work progresses.

#6 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:15 AM

With patch .32, Chapters 1 and 2 are finished. They just need polishing and bug catching. After I finish the BG1NPC banters for BGT-Weidu (almost done), I will start work on the next areas. I need people to play through this to find the problems that I haven't experienced, or as I usually find, I fixed but didn't copy to the patch.

By the end of U3, The Final Enemy, you should be at level 4, maybe 5.

Classic Adventures

#7 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:20 AM

Dirbert's picture might change a little. I can probably edit the clothes and if it is beyond my ability I can ask for some help from an expert. one thing to remember though adventurers do get a lot of nifty gear. As for dialogs my idea is to fill out the storyline and then start the task of rewriting and editing. Or a a great man once said ?fluffing? I have written over a hundred pages of dialog and more is on the way. It would be nice if I could have Ashara helping. I truly value her advice. If she were interested in added a few NPC?s of her own to the mix that would be great?but perhaps I am just dreaming.(It is past 1am in Tokyo as I write this?) 

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#8 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:57 AM

I am glad you don't take my nosing around amiss and if I had more time I would have gladly participated, but I am cutting all of my other modding commitments atm to work on Friggia, and Friggia maybe already more than I can handle, even with its small number of joinable NPCs and short story-line. :)

#9 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:08 PM

On the contrary, I prefer to have a few extra eyes proof reading the text. All of these banters read fine for me because I have written them several times. I can skip over the errors without seeing them, which is a problem. So I thank you for your time.

Classic Adventures

#10 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:30 AM

On the contrary, I prefer to have a few extra eyes proof reading the text.  All of these banters read fine for me because I have written them several times.  I can skip over the errors without seeing them, which is a problem.  So I thank you for your time.

View Post

I am willing to do proof reading if you need someone Sir BillyBob. I cannot promise to find all the errors or tell you how fast I can read it all. If you want my help, let me know and I will pm you with my e-mail address.

Just checked and we have enough paper at work so I can print everything. :whistling:

#11 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

He sure has a lot of starting weapon skills!

Intentional, or bug?

#12 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:58 PM

He sure has a lot of starting weapon skills!

Intentional, or bug?

View Post

Never mind; I'm an idiot. :Poke:

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:00 AM

Dirbert's parents are both half-elves. So what do you get when two half-elves breed? Who knows? Dirbert has the strength and physical features of a tall human but has the eyes of an elf and even some of the facial features. He has no resistances like normal half-elves. I listed him as human because that is the way most people would view him on a first time meeting.

He is a half-elf. He would be second gen. half elf, for sure with full abilities. Keep up the good work, sorry to nit-pick.

#14 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:05 AM

I agree that he should be a "sort of" half elf. However, the game makes all half-elves have a standard look and I wanted to change this. You shouldn't always be able to look at a creature on the screen and say "oh that must be a half-elf, look at the size of it". If Minsc had a half-elf son, would he be the "standard" half-elf size?

What you did just bring up is that I didn't give him the abilities of a half-elf such as immunities. The reasoning for this was that his true elven blood would be his grandparents. The immunity to sleep and other benefits may not carry all the way down to him. Maybe they should. I'll have to think on this some more.

Classic Adventures

#15 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:15 AM

my understanding was that it would, but if you think it makes him unique - why not? After all unique does not always have to be something *added*. It could be something *taken away*. :)

#16 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:57 AM

I think Dirbert is better without all of the extra half elf bonuses. I feel his character and background are well balanced. The half elf paper doll would kill his image.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#17 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:00 AM

Oh I am not going to change his avatar or paperdoll. He looks human. No pointed ears, narrow eyes, or whatever other descriptions of elves you want to make. He has elven blood and he knows it, he just doesn't have any 1/2 elf advantages right now. I am not totally sold on him having a need for them. With his strength and archer skills, I think he has enough good qualities without being overkill. But we are early in the mod still. I may change this later.

Classic Adventures

#18 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:43 AM

narrow eyes

Elven eyes are actually larger, wider set, and slanted, giving (according to CBoE) wider vision field etc :)

#19 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:36 PM

Slanting was what I was thinking of.

Classic Adventures

#20 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

I haven't played pen and paper ad&d for a long time...it sounds like the new rule books are stealing from Tolkien and from Anime. Check 1st ed where the modules Sir Billy Bob has chosen originated. Elves in the 70's and 80's where described much differently.

Edited by leahnkain, 01 October 2005 - 02:42 AM.