Photo

An idea to get people modding for this mod.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:27 PM

What about an "Iron Modder" type event just for "Classic Adventures" or a "One Day NPC" contest? Might be a neat way to get people to make some addons for this mod. From what I read, you welcome other people making mods just for this one.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#2 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

It's hard enough to get anybody to bother with regular Iron Modder, mind. But yeh, there seems to be fair support for Classic Adventures among active modders, so might be worth a shot.

Edited by SimDing0, 06 September 2005 - 01:41 PM.

Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#3 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:55 PM

If it happens, you should add something for it, Sim. I have yet to find one of your mods (one day or not), that I do not enjoy.

#4 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:12 AM

That is a great idea. However, there isn't much to this mod right now. Anyone who creates an NPC is going to have a limited amount of banters and interjections because you only have 2 chapters to work with.

I guess what we need right now are some towns to place in Sembia or some other dungeon/quest type of ideas.

Anyone wanting to add an NPC needs to either plan for a long term commitment to update/add dialogs or be willing to pass all rights to the NPC to me so I can add future banters/interjections to that NPC.

Otherwise, you would have the same issue as if Minsc leaves Jon's dungeon with you but after the Promenade, he never talks again in SoA. I don't think many players would want to keep an NPC like that in the party. Especially with all the good ones out there like Kelsey/Valen and others that do have dialogs through all of SoA.

For anyone thinking of adding "stuff", here is my plan:

After MistMoor, the party will enter Selgaunt. Selgaunt is one of the largest cities in Sembia. Think of this as the Gate or Athlatka. So I need lots of little quests or non-joinable NPCs. If you have read the FR's Sembia series (The Halls of StormWeather, etc) than you already know what the city is like.

Selgaunt is run by very rich merchants. These are the "nobles" of other cities. Magic is allowed; Zhents and Harpers are spying on each other; Cyric, Selune, Mask and a few other gods have temples here; there is a thieves guild down in the sewers; etc. So what I need are ideas or general storlines that can be used to fill out this city.

This is going to be the main base of operation for the next couple of chapters. The party is going to leave here to go attack the slavers out on the Isle of Prespur and the Pirate Islands. They will return to Selgaunt after each mission. So different quests could be available based on each return trip.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#5 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

I was thinking a few small side quests might be fun. I also enjoy the One Day NPCs. Granted, not as much as full NPCs, but more options are nice.

A couple of extra stores are always welcome (to me anyway).

#6 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:39 PM

What about side quests for Selgaunt? It is just a suggestion but this is one area which could benefit a lot from some different unrelated quest. Maybe an Iron Modder city quest challenge? I could always give some of the already made NPC's information and allow people to add on to some of the characters.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#7 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

Sounds good. You guys want to actually give me some time to make the areas? ;) I don't think you can do much without knowing the ARE names, locations characters can stand/walk around or what other creatures are in the same area. However, start getting some ideas together and your dialogs. The basic areas shouldn't take me too long (maybe a month if I skip over the MistMoor areas for now). I can always release the areas of Selgaunt as a separate beta for modders to work on.

Classic Adventures

#8 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:22 PM

Your projects are always worth the wait, Sir BB.

#9 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:47 PM

Happily, i am still working on the A series main dialogs. please take your time.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#10 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:04 AM

That is a great idea. However, there isn't much to this mod right now. Anyone who creates an NPC is going to have a limited amount of banters and interjections because you only have 2 chapters to work with.

I guess what we need right now are some towns to place in Sembia or some other dungeon/quest type of ideas.

Anyone wanting to add an NPC needs to either plan for a long term commitment to update/add dialogs or be willing to pass all rights to the NPC to me so I can add future banters/interjections to that NPC.

Otherwise, you would have the same issue as if Minsc leaves Jon's dungeon with you but after the Promenade, he never talks again in SoA. I don't think many players would want to keep an NPC like that in the party. Especially with all the good ones out there like Kelsey/Valen and others that do have dialogs through all of SoA.

For anyone thinking of adding "stuff", here is my plan:

After MistMoor, the party will enter Selgaunt. Selgaunt is one of the largest cities in Sembia. Think of this as the Gate or Athlatka. So I need lots of little quests or non-joinable NPCs. If you have read the FR's Sembia series (The Halls of StormWeather, etc) than you already know what the city is like.

Selgaunt is run by very rich merchants. These are the "nobles" of other cities. Magic is allowed; Zhents and Harpers are spying on each other; Cyric, Selune, Mask and a few other gods have temples here; there is a thieves guild down in the sewers; etc. So what I need are ideas or general storlines that can be used to fill out this city.

This is going to be the main base of operation for the next couple of chapters. The party is going to leave here to go attack the slavers out on the Isle of Prespur and the Pirate Islands. They will return to Selgaunt after each mission. So different quests could be available based on each return trip.

What would you need as far as information to begin building the side quest? How long can it be and how directly would it need to relate to the main story line? I've got a couple of ideas that I was stewing with that I'd love to share with you.

Mark
"What rough beast, Its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born."

W.B. Yeats

May the sun be always in the eyes of your enemies,
and may your feet always find the correct path.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#11 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:42 AM

How about shipments mysteriously missing from the merchants (they blame the theives guild but.....). The high merchant hires you to find out what is happening. You travel to where some of the shipments became missing and find some clues to a set of caverans in the mountains.

*** spoiler ***

You fight your way thru the dungeon to find a greedy red dragon and his cohorts. The dragon and his cohorts were stealing the shipments so that they could take over the trade in the city.

just a thought

ronin

#12 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

So the dragon is hoping to become the next Huron (city mayor) or perhaps just secretly run the city through a bogus family or even a legit one? Very interesting storyline. I think the thieves guild would be really pissed at being blamed for something they have no clue about. Could make for some interesting alliances.

Other ideas for someone to think about:
Since the slaver series starts off from Selgaunt, there needs to be contacts in the city that know what is really going on. They probably wouldn't traffic in slaves themselves for fear of discovery but what happens on the slaver island stays on the slaver island.

Some of the merchant families are evil, pure and simple. Consider them like the "mob". They can't directly start a war with other families but they can use spies/intrigue/assassinations/sabetage. Also, some work with pirates but have to keep it completely secret about how they do it. Discovery means death to the entire family (Sembian law). So if the party stumbled on a planning session of pirates/smugglers and was able to link it back to a family, that could be interesting. As a twist, some families could claim others use pirates by showing "proof" of that other family. Of course being proven wrong can be just as deadly for your family.

There is a slums area (can't remember the name right off hand). There is also a temple district. The whole city sits on a sewer system that can take you to any part of the city (think of Baldur's Gate here). Inside are the hidden lairs of the thieves guild and a group of harpers. Perhaps also access to the crypts of the graveyard district?

Classic Adventures

#13 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:48 PM

Another idea:

1. Theives guild/harper war for control of the underground, you choose a side and get missions from the side that you choose.

2. An evil merchant family kidnaps a child of a noble to blackmail him, your mission is to get the child back. You would have a limited amount of time to rescue the child before the ransome is supposed to be paid or the merchants kill the child.

3. A temple wants you to retreive an artifact that was stolen/found by a new sect.

4. Harpers hire you to find out why some of their members are missing mysteriously, after investigation, you find out mind flayers have setup shop for genetical testing.

just a couple of more thoughts

ronin

#14 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:54 AM

The idea I was trying to develop dealt with the Harpers and a foe. The Zhents would work just fine. It would start with the players coming back from one of their trips to the islands and stumbling into the remains of a slaughter. Dead Zhents if the party is good or nuetral. Dead Harpers if the party is evil. Everyone assumes that the party is responsible. Setting up a string of counter attacks and a
string of recruitement type pitches. In reality, the responsible party is a Lich (or other magic using baddy) carrying a powerful and unknown artifact that the Harpers would want destroyed and the Zhents would like to get their hands on. I suppose there can be all kinds of ways to tie this into the local political and social scene.

Mark

Edited by mr2131, 04 November 2005 - 08:09 AM.

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#15 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:26 AM

Good idea Mark, maybe SBB will recruit us for writing or other stuff. I could make some NPC's with dialogues and with a little help add some areas in. I would need a map of the area to orient myself tho, anyone know where I can get one at?

ronin

#16 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:42 AM

Seaching in google I found this:

http://3d6.org/selgaunt/index.php

has any of you seen this? Maybe we could do something with this.

Your thoughts SBB?

ronin

*** there is also good info and quest ideas on http://www.wizards.c...=dnd/fr/welcome

just do a search for sembia and it comes up with some interesting things

Edited by ronin69hof, 04 November 2005 - 11:53 AM.

#17 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:01 PM

Good idea Mark, maybe SBB will recruit us for writing or other stuff. I could make some NPC's with dialogues and with a little help add some areas in. I would need a map of the area to orient myself tho, anyone know where I can get one at?

ronin

I'm pretty much useless at coding, but I can contribute dialog and setting. At the moment, everything would have to be done on disc because I have no internet access at home.

Mark

Let me know if you'd like me to piece together my original idea for
this scenario.

Edited by mr2131, 07 November 2005 - 09:04 AM.

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#18 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:13 PM

The site I have been using for help is http://crpp0001.uqtr...n/Selgaunt.html

There is a map there. The other site isn't bad either and they have some good quests for ideas.

The Zhents are always looking for powerful objects to help them dominate other countries. Although, like the Thay, they do it through subversion, not obvious attacks directly at a country's leadership. According to other websites, the Zhents have public holdings in most large cities in this region. The Sword Coast is too far away for something like these but Sembia is just south of the Dales and therefore south of Moonshea and the Zhentriam Keep. In most of these cities, the Zhents claim to be setting up trading houses with those neighbors. Of course the places are full of spies but that is beside the point.

Check out http://www.wizards.c.../sembiatimeline for a timeline based on the Sembia books. The BG game takes place just before 1370 if I remember right. So most of the books take place afterwards. CA starts on the same timeline as BG1. I didn't change the dates for this mod.

Classic Adventures

#19 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

Incredible, unstoppable titan of terror!

• 1123 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:29 AM

You can also download retired classic adventures from wizard.com's download area, here:

http://www.wizards.c...nd/oa/20030530b

That might be good for a few ideas if no one's browsed through them already.
All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. -- Albert Camus

#20 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the link. As for old adventures, I believe we have almost every old module. I have a complete set of 1st edition modules and alot of earlier dungeon magazines.(1-41) (It is just a matter of me scanning them) Something which is needed is additional side quests for the city. The city is going to be huge and it is alot of writing. Any good ideas and help is always welcome. Prehaps it is time for an iron modder?