Photo

Edwin Nether Scroll

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Blucher

Blucher
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 04:20 PM

I'm not sure who is doing the scripting and .d file making, so I'll just post this here. Hope you don't mind.

In the EDWIN_CHANGE and EDWIN_CHANGE_BACK spells (used during the Nether Scroll quest) there is a 'change sex' effect. This effect causes graphical glitches and is reported to make Edwin immune to the boots of speed.

I've made a fix for this and thought you might want to include it in the mod.

Here are the details (if you want to download the fix I've made to see exactly what I've done, look for the 'edwinsex.zip' on this page: http://www.fortuneci...s/winelodge/79/ )

Changed files: EdwinJ.dlg, Degard.dlg, Spin916.spl & Spin662.spl.

Changes:
- EdwinJ.dlg:
Added these scripting actions to the three pertinent .dlg states:
ChangeGender(Myself,FEMALE)
Polymorph(MAGE_FEMALE_HUMAN)
...just after the "MakeUnselectable(5000)" action.

- Degard.dlg:
Added these actions in the pertinent .dlg state:
ChangeGender("edwin",MALE)
ActionOverride("edwin",Polymorph(MAGE_MALE_HUMAN))
...just before the "Wait(1)" action.

- Spin916.spl & Spin662.spl
Removed the "change sex" effect in both of these spells.

That's it. Basically, just removed the effect and duplicated it with scripting actions embedded in the .dlgs.

#2 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 09:00 PM

I'm not sure who is doing the scripting and .d file making, so I'll just post this here.  Hope you don't mind.

In the EDWIN_CHANGE and EDWIN_CHANGE_BACK spells (used during the Nether Scroll quest) there is a 'change sex' effect.  This effect causes graphical glitches and is reported to make Edwin immune to the boots of speed.

I've made a fix for this and thought you might want to include it in the mod.

Thanks for offering this! :) I'm not sure if the programmers have already fixed this or not, but if they haven't I'm sure they'll be happy for it. :D I just hope it's gonna fit in with our other little modifications to the Nether Scroll. :)

#3 -Kir-

-Kir-

Posted 17 February 2003 - 03:22 AM

Speaking of Nether Scrolls, have you seen the portrait in this thread? I thought you should know.

#4 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for offering this! :) I'm not sure if the programmers have already fixed this or not, but if they haven't I'm sure they'll be happy for it. :D I just hope it's gonna fit in with our other little modifications to the Nether Scroll. :)

What kind of changes are you making to the Nether Scroll?

#5 Blucher

Blucher
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:31 PM

Bah. :)

ChangeSex(Myself,FEMALE)

Should be:

ChangeGender(Myself,FEMALE)

...of course. :-)

(Stupid monkey work...) :lol:

#6 Ophidia

Ophidia
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:01 AM

Hehe, that portrait is rather good! I was tempted to do something similar myself, actually. I'm not sure if we could use it, though, since there's no email for us to get permission. Anyway, Edwina would wear red nailvarnish :).

I haven't made the alterations to the nether spells suggested, but I agree they're a good idea. I'll chat with our scripter and see if we can.
Ophidia Snaketongue,

Gasping Concubine and Mistress of Sound and Light (i.e. mod peripherals designer).

"If a tree falls in the forest, I'll kill the bastard what done it!" - Jaheira

"If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody care?" - Viconia

#7 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 03:35 AM

Hehe, that portrait is rather good! I was tempted to do something similar myself, actually. I'm not sure if we could use it, though, since there's no email for us to get permission. Anyway, Edwina would wear red nailvarnish :).

If you roll your mouse over the little envelope under the name, you'll see her email address.

#8 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for offering this! :) I'm not sure if the programmers have already fixed this or not, but if they haven't I'm sure they'll be happy for it.  :D I just hope it's gonna fit in with our other little modifications to the Nether Scroll. :)

What kind of changes are you making to the Nether Scroll?

It's going to be visible as an item in the game, with an item description by me and a drawing by Ophidia. Edwina will have a female picture. Also, the Nether Scroll quest won't start the first time you enter the Graveyard with Edwin, since certain dialogues need to happen first, and there will be a later quest that will tie in with the Nether Scroll quest. :)

#9 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 08:45 AM

Speaking of Nether Scrolls, have you seen the portrait in this thread? I thought you should know.

Not bad, not bad at all! We've found another good Edwina pic, but this is certainly a nice alternative if the creator agrees for us to use it. Definitely worth thinking about.

#10 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 11:49 AM

That's it. Basically, just removed the effect and duplicated it with scripting actions embedded in the .dlgs.

I am not sure if this is *that* easy. There are a lot of npc responses to Edwin if he is in his *female* condition - like Anomen's flirting, Yoshi's jokes etc. that are checking for Edwina's 'sex'. If you remove this- it maybe lost. As for boots of speed ... hmm it maybe easier to fix the item not Edwina. I shall look into it.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#11 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 01:13 AM

i too have seen that annoying bug...

dorotea, its not the boots of speed damping thats annoying, it is, but since i like to use edwin with boots of preservation, its not a big deal, but the stuttering step and gliding really drives me up the wall...

if this fix was a part of the mod, i would download for the fix alone...
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#12 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 07:02 AM

Just to let you all know - the fix is now in the mod. But the Nether scroll will have a few other surprises to the player as well... :D

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#13 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 11:50 PM

Just to let you all know - the fix is now in the mod. But the Nether scroll will have a few other surprises to the player as well... :D

how about

1) some hints....pllllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeee....

2) or at least some cryptic comments to get us even more excited...if that is possible....

so i guess you're going with changegender instead of changesex???
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#14 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 08:12 AM

What can I say - Edwina looks really lovely with that nose ring of hers ...

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#15 reiella

reiella

Meowth-Class Juggernaut

• 216 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 01:56 PM

You'll also need to adjust the script for transfering into hell (Chp 7), as that also removes that specific spell, probably easiest to put the appropiate dialog entries in edwin's little banter when you first get there.

#16 XVIII

XVIII
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:22 PM

Speaking of nether scrolls, I tweaked the Edwina portrait found further up a little bit (the original portrait was really nice, but I found the hair to be a bit messed up, the shoulders too broad (which makes her look a little mannish) and the hands too rough... those minor sort of things) Not sure if it looks that much better or not (I'd like to think it does :), but any way, please give me you opinions :) Hopefully, this might be an ok alternative to whatever it is that you have, copyright issues aside (I'm really new to all this, not sure if it was wrong for me to edit stuff with impunity like that or not; if it was, my apologies to the original author)

#17 XVIII

XVIII
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:25 PM

Oh, and the portrait is what's in my avatar, in case any of you are wondering :)

#18 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 03:03 AM

Speaking of nether scrolls, I tweaked the Edwina portrait found further up a little bit (the original portrait was really nice, but I found the hair to be a bit messed up, the shoulders too broad (which makes her look a little mannish) and the hands too rough... those minor sort of things) Not sure if it looks that much better or not (I'd like to think it does :), but any way, please give me you opinions :) Hopefully, this might be an ok alternative to whatever it is that you have, copyright issues aside (I'm really new to all this, not sure if it was wrong for me to edit stuff with impunity like that or not; if it was, my apologies to the original author)

It's a *very* nice pic! :) Very Edwina-like. I am a bit partial to the one we've already got though, since I think that one also fits her perfectly. Pity we can't use both...

#19 cliffette

cliffette

Pervy hobbit fancier, moi?

• 47 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 03:38 AM

XVIII, very nice :D .. You've made her look much prettier... though I doubt Edwin would thank you for your efforts...

Laufey, if you are using WeiDU, you can do a Kelsey/Solaufein and include the different portrait sets as options in the installation (just pluggin' my partial editing work *winks*).

#20 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 04:58 AM

XVIII, very nice :D .. You've made her look much prettier... though I doubt Edwin would thank you for your efforts...

Laufey, if you are using WeiDU, you can do a Kelsey/Solaufein and include the different portrait sets as options in the installation (just pluggin' my partial editing work *winks*).

Thanks for the tip! :) That really is an excellent idea, it will let the player choose for her/himself. Thanks!