23 replies to this topic

#1 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:24 PM

We need:
  • 1 Writer.
    Consider this "frozen" since we seem to have a valid "candidate", ATM.
  • 1 Dialogue coder,
    to help me out with these damned .d files.
    Be warned that RtW dialogue pathing is as intricated as it can get.
    But, there's the chance of starting right now with an existing dialogue to update, and this is the best way to start, while I'm still drowning in a 40 pages long one ;)
  • All_purpose_coder #1,
    who would focus on scheduled issues, like needed cutscenes, area scripts, editing, monster spawning and such.
  • All_purpose_coder #2,
    who would take a slower approach, taking the time to read through our plot docs, dialogues, and all, to understand the big picture. Then he should run through the existing builds to uncover problems, forgotten unfinished stuff, holes of any kind, and possibly take care of them.
    Ok, all_purpose_coder #1 might even suffice, but I wouldn't take chances.
  • A separate team for the new NPC:
    we need 2 helpers, here. We are considering the idea of aiming to a release without the NPC, and add it as a separate module when it's ready.
    Of course, we would consider this a terrible sacrifice, since we all *love* the NPC, and we hold it as an integrated part of the mod under every aspect.
    But, we must at least remove it from the list of open issues, and know, for our own peace of mind, that it proceeds "by itself".
    Consider that the RtW content for this NPC is more or less ready: what's missing is the development for the rest of the "regular" ToB.
    No SoA content is needed, obviously, so there isn't really a "full" NPC to implement. Plus some ideas are planned, at least.
There isn't that much new content to be added, since about 80% of the planned features is in, somehow.
But the pieces need to be put together, hence the need of more all_purpose_coders.
We have The_Bigg already, and he is a Force of Nature, but we can't let everything to him, and he has all the WeiDUing, too.
Unfortunately, facts have proven beyond doubt that, despite the occasional outbursts of production (as the present one), we are unable to reach the Critical Mass of Average Work needed to keep the wheel turning.

Without these numbers, the mod can't be completed, simply.
So, if you have modding skills (or if you are one of those IE gurus out there) and you can provide a reasonably continuative help, please apply.
It's a lot to ask, we know :)

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#2 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:09 PM

What is this new npc like? If he sounds interesting enough i could probably help. I have no experiance however.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#3 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

To get an idea of the sort of thing we're working for:

http://www.shsforums...showtopic=17146

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:51 PM

So you're after people who can produce bright-green beholders at a steady pace? :)

#5 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:30 AM

What is this new npc like? If he sounds interesting enough i could probably help. I have no experiance however.

I can't really spoil it, since it is deeply interwoven with all the RtW content.
And, it is one of the few things we agreed NEVER to spoil ;)
But I can say that the whole team loves it, and I'm sure, that it's a NPC everyone would try in his party.

I admit we are after experienced coders, but if you're not you might take care of the writing part, if you're interested. And besides, experience comes with, he, experience ;)

So you're after people who can produce bright-green beholders at a steady pace?

Those ones are glowing ;)
Anyway, we don't need to create new monsters, nor areas.
Everything is done in these fields. We need people to take care of small pieces of generic AI, specific purpose area scripts, little snippets of code, linking between parts. Things like that.
On the purely creative side, we are only missing some dialogue.

#6 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:45 AM

What sort of help exactly are you looking for with the NPC?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#7 --The Bigg--

--The Bigg--

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:50 AM

View Post

The RTW portion is done, so basically this is a 'normal' NPC project - although it's TOB only, not SoA + ToB. (so writing and coding banters, interjections and epilogue; more senile members will fill in if something else is needed)

#8 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:36 PM

Oh, right.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#9 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:52 AM

I might try for All_purpose_coder #1, but what is the commitment level to be expected? ^^;; How many hours approx, a week?

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#10 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:20 AM

I might try for All_purpose_coder #1, but what is the commitment level to be expected? ^^;; How many hours approx, a week?

Lol, no such thing, really ;)

Possibly one of the main problems of this mod is that in average each team member has always had to work with big chunks of stuff.
It's easy to lose motivation when you have to face a big assignment each time, and you see little to no activity in the yahoo group ("home" of RtW).
Result: sometimes work restarts in a collective frenzy, and then it goes dormant again, possibly for months. And when this happens, we start fearing for the survival itself of the mod, of course.

In this scenario, having a person who helps us closing little issues here and there, may make the difference between activity and inactivity, and, ultimately, between life and death for the mod.
No kidding.
Examples?
Xyx asking for an item in order to finish a boss_AI, and nobody doing it.
Months pass.
Me asking for a cutscene.
Months pass.
I've been dragged to work again after the_bigg solved a couple of old issues, bringing closer to completion some dialogues I coded months ago.

As you see, we really need someone to take care of various generic issues, because they are as much important as the "big" ones, yet they don't get done, presently.
But, it's certainly not a matter of working hours a week, as long as one doesn't disappear ;)

If you confirm your interest, I'll let Quitch invite you in the group. :)
And thanx in any case!

Edited by Littiz, 19 September 2005 - 10:26 AM.

#11 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:21 PM

If generic issues are that small and infrequent, such as an item or a cutscene, it should be OKAY :)

However, there's also the problem of download :) I usually like to test my coding/itms myself first, before announcing that they are "done", and if each time I want to do that it means I have to download a large zip file, or reinstall a huge number of files, it might be a little difficult. A minimalist approach to testing would be great, such as sending me bare bones to test my "generic bits" with.

Meantime, I'm quite "available" on MSN Messenger, if you want it I'll PM (whichever of you who requests it) my MSN email. :) I find it much easier to discuss in "real time", so to speak. I also have some... places of inexperience, so to speak, so yeah, I might not yet be the guy you fellas need. A talk (preferably with one person at one time) would sort that out as well.

Why that? Well really, I am myself fairly new to IE modding. I can think of some odd way to work around issues, but bar that I'm not one of the most experienced coders / modders out there. I like to think I get things done, though ;) though I'm sure there are people who disagree.

Edited by Zyraen, 19 September 2005 - 10:33 PM.

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...

#12 --The Bigg--

--The Bigg--

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:17 AM

If generic issues are that small and infrequent, such as an item or a cutscene, it should be OKAY :)

However, there's also the problem of download :) I usually like to test my coding/itms myself first, before announcing that they are "done", and if each time I want to do that it means I have to download a large zip file, or reinstall a huge number of files, it might be a little difficult. A minimalist approach to testing would be great, such as sending me bare bones to test my "generic bits" with.

The mod is about 60 Mb, however I got in the habit of also releasing the 'lite' version, which should be around 2 Mb.
I set up a secondary install for only RtW, installed RtW, and then install testing stuff via a separate tp2. The uninstall + reinstall time is around a minute (plus the time to tisunpack, oggdec and biffing, however you can comment out the relevant lines once you have installed RtW).

Meantime, I'm quite "available" on MSN Messenger, if you want it I'll PM (whichever of you who requests it) my MSN email. :) I find it much easier to discuss in "real time", so to speak. I also have some... places of inexperience, so to speak, so yeah, I might not yet be the guy you fellas need. A talk (preferably with one person at one time) would sort that out as well.

Why that? Well really, I am myself fairly new to IE modding. I can think of some odd way to work around issues, but bar that I'm not one of the most experienced coders / modders out there. I like to think I get things done, though ;) though I'm sure there are people who disagree.

View Post

None of us are professionals - but since you'll be working with people who learned from Gaider himself, you'll have plenty of time to cover new areas of learning :)
BTW, given the mods you already released, it appears you have at least some degree of ability ;)

#13 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

However, there's also the problem of download  I usually like to test my coding/itms myself first, before announcing that they are "done", and if each time I want to do that it means I have to download a large zip file, or reinstall a huge number of files, it might be a little difficult. A minimalist approach to testing would be great, such as sending me bare bones to test my "generic bits" with.

You'll need to download it once, install it (in a separate installation, if you want), and, from there, things can become as minimalist as needed :)
Normally one works on a few files, and when they're ready they're passed over to the team.
Bigg sets up a new build when there are enough additions, but indeed, he always provides incremental packages, too :)
There's really nothing to worry about such issues ;)

Edited by Littiz, 20 September 2005 - 12:32 PM.

#14 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:48 PM

Hmm ok, I think I'm cool. Anyone I can talk to on MSN? :) Just to make sure I'm not getting out of my depth (which I still have a sinking feeling I am)

#15 --The Bigg--

--The Bigg--

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:02 PM

Hmm ok, I think I'm cool.  Anyone I can talk to on MSN? :) Just to make sure I'm not getting out of my depth (which I still have a sinking feeling I am)

View Post

I don't use MSN (if this is OK with you, you can reach me at ICQ 220731514 if you are fast enough to catch me before I go to bed); to complete the joining process, you have to PM an e-mail of yours to somebody affiliated with RtW (me, Littiz, Quitch & Cuv are the best bets, since we are logged (*) on the forums more often).
You'll shortly receive an Yahoo invitation to our very group - and then you'll be bound :D

*: Yeah, I guest post since I'm at 999 posts and keep the 1000'th for the release of Refinements, however I read my PMs :) )

#16 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:37 AM

View Post

The NPC in RtW is effectively done, as are a third of the NPC interactions. We have a plan of where we want the NPC to go and what we want them to do, but the details have not been worked out. Obviously by this stage there is enough written that it should be easy to get the idea of this characters personality. PM me if you're interested and I'll get a group invite out to you.

Hmm ok, I think I'm cool. Anyone I can talk to on MSN? smile.gif Just to make sure I'm not getting out of my depth (which I still have a sinking feeling I am)

PM me and I can get you into the group, or if you still need to talk I can send you my MSN contact details and I'll keep an eye out for you. Everyone on the mod has their fields, though some of us can work on pretty much anything (even if our memories of certain things are pretty rusty).

In terms of all purpose coders, we're looking for handy men who can work on anything we need. No big projects, but tidying up all the little things that seem to get ignored. Your pace is your own to determine.

Edited by Quitch, 21 September 2005 - 01:40 AM.

#17 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:10 PM

Well I may not be able to commit very strongly but I can certainly try to help out with the New NPC dialogue and possibly coding dialogue. I have absolutely no coding proficiency so be warned.

PS: Really sorry for not responding sooner forgot to turn on email notification.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#18 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

I'd be interested in coding for RtW, but not until JZ is released :). Obviously, I have other commitments too.

#19 --The Bigg--

--The Bigg--

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:20 AM

I'd be interested in coding for RtW, but not until JZ is released :). Obviously, I have other commitments too.

View Post

Of course we can wait patiently :)

However, since in a month we haven't been able to add Andyr yet, it may take a while for you to join the group - JZ may very well be ready by then :)

To speed up the joining procedure, you should PM (or post, e-mail, notify by flying pidgeon...) your e-mail address to either me (http://www.shsforums...ODE=04&MID=2083, since I'm keeping my 1000'th post for a special occasion, so am not logged in and the link is not directly visible), Littiz or (if you like waiting) Quitch or Cuv, and then wait for Q. to invite you to the Yahoo! group (which is the lenghty part, of course, knowing Quitch :ROFL: ).

#20 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:28 AM

shed@spellholdstudios.net

What's the yahoo group for?

And I'm not committing to anything quite yet :P.