Photo

what the casters say

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ebon

Ebon
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:36 AM

Yep you might have noticed that the spellcasters in BG2 do speak something -- maybe in Latin. Clerics and mages are likely the same, same for sexes. In BG1 however clerics and mages are REALLY the same, but different for each gender.
:vbat:
And here's what.
In BG2, they sound like enriched HPotter spell chants. Necro-spells sound like 'vita mortis' or something like that; Illusio have something like 'credo' (which means believe, think.) I'd appreciate if someone with keen ears knows what they actually say.
And as for BG1 they might as well be existent spellchants, but who knows... Could just be random magic 'garbage' like my own sig (FYI, that was made by me and a friend when we were 7.) Orr nott?

#2 BallOfFire

BallOfFire
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:37 PM

I also noticed that it is either Latin or some perversion thereof. In listening to the Irenicus "Redeem This Mix" literally over 1000 times, I definitely heard one of the spell school spells sound like "omni potentus.. hah!" The hah part I probably misheard, but omni potentus definitely sounds like something they would use for a spell, since omni means all and potentus means power or powerful. I think this is the invocation spell school but I could be wrong.

#3 K. Lou of Combs

K. Lou of Combs
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:07 PM

"Vita mortis careo"

vita: life
mortis: death.
careo/cario: if it's careo, then it's "be without, be deprived of, lack, want"; if it's cario, it's probaby a perversion of "caries", which means "rotten".
life, death, decay

"Scio didicti hecta"

Scio: to know
didicti: either an alteration of "didico" (to be told) or "dicto" (to say often), or even a bizarre combination of the two.
hecta: might be weird form of "aequitas", which means "justice, fairness"
to know, to be told, justice

"Incantus pulcher imperium"

incantus: Non-existant form of "incanto", which means "to enchant"
pulcher: beauty
imperium: power to command, authority
enchant, beauty, authority

Eh... I don't remember any others...

Edited by K. Lou of Combs, 20 September 2005 - 09:08 PM.

"Without my glasses, I see the world as it really is: kinda blurry."

The stupidest, silliest mod in progress is right here:
The Mary Sue NPC Mod

#4 Ismail

Ismail

Squirrel Pride Worldwide!

• 423 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:11 PM

"Veritas credo something" is another. Veritas=Truth, credo=belief, more or less.
Lahinguväljal joome, raisk!

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:08 AM

When casting a fireball, the following is spoken: Incantus vulcanus

incantus: Made up form, real word: incanto, meaning "enchant"

vulcanus: Slightly altered from volcanus, it might even be volcanus but it isn't so clear. Volcanus, "fire", "fire-god".

#6 K. Lou of Combs

K. Lou of Combs
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:40 AM

"Veritas credo something" is another. Veritas=Truth, credo=belief, more or less.

View Post

I'm pretty sure the last word is "oculus", which means "eye".
"Without my glasses, I see the world as it really is: kinda blurry."

The stupidest, silliest mod in progress is right here:
The Mary Sue NPC Mod

#7 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:42 AM

My take on them:

1) Veritas Credo Oculus
Truth/honesty, trust/believe/confide/suppose, eye

2) Manus Potentis Paro (could be Par)
Hand/fist/team, strong/powerful/capable, prepare (or equal/like)

3) (Mage) Vultur Fere
Vulture, almost/not quite

(Priest) Facio Farci Fere
Create, stuff, almost/not quite

4) Scio Didico Peto
Know, to be told, attack/aim

5) Cupio Virtus Licet
To desire/wish for, excellence/worth/courage, lawful/allowed/permitted

6) (Mage) Incautus Pulcher Imperium
Incautious/unprotected, noble/beautiful/pretty, command/authority/supreme power

(Priest) Insitus Pulcher Imperium
Inserted/attached/innate, noble/beautiful/pretty, command/authority/supreme power

7) Vita Mortis Cario/careo
Life, death, deprived of/lack/lose

8) Praeses Alea (could be Alia) Verax/Vero (could be Vereor)
Protector/guardian/defender, chance/venture/risk (or different way/route), truthful (or reverse/respect/fear/dread)

I'm guessing that the different versions of 3) and 6) are probably the actors screwing their lines up, and that the priest versions are the correct ones.

Obviously they respond to the eight schools, and my guess would be that 1 = divination, 2 = transmutation, 3 = illusion, 4 = invocation/evocation, 5 = conjuration, 6 = enchantment 7 = necromancy, and 8 = abjuration.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 21 September 2005 - 10:54 AM.

#8 Ebon

Ebon
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:55 PM

Wow, that's darn good!

Just to remind, Nick, the schools are:
1-illusion;
2-abjuration;
3-conjuration;
4-divination;
5-charming;
6-invokation;
7-life&death
8-last, definitely not least, transmutation.

BTW, cleric chants have an American accent; wizard spells do not. Why "vultur" sounds as 'vulture', I think it's a goof.

Edited by Ebon, 22 September 2005 - 08:34 AM.

#9 -DarkAsKnight3050-

-DarkAsKnight3050-

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DELETE THIS: Please repost this in a more proper location if this is not a good one, you have my permission to do so and I only posted this to help out anyone like me in the future who just wonders what the casters in Baldur's Gate II or Icewind Dale I & II are saying (the same or similar incantations are used). Thanks and sorry if I offend anyone at all.

I just wanted to say I did a lot of research and since I couldn't find the list anywhere, I compiled one of what the casters say and what it means. As a student of Latin myself, I have looked at what other people have said and tried to say and taken bits and pieces from here and there. The most useful to me where people here at Spellhold Studios and also at the Ironworks forums. A special thanks to all of you, because I was curious too. Anyway I'm posting this here because it is much more recent than the Ironworks one, and thus less likely to be deleted soon I guess.

The casters say something different depending on the school of magic they are casting. Male and female voices are different of course, and some pronunciations are different, but Latin is often pronounced differently depending on the dialect (even Latin professors disagree on it at times). Also, when translating from Latin to English, oftentimes some words must be supplied (they are implied in Latin, but not in English). Nonetheless, the spelling is correct; although it is difficult to tell from the sound byte which ending is used for a couple of the spells, and if you search around you'll find practically everyone hears something different anyway. The root words should be correct, however. So, here they are:
-----

Icewind Dale & Baldur's Gate Spells

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"

2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"

3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"

4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"

5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"

6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"

7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"

8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

-----

#10 -Victor-

-Victor-

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

Hi,
Vita Mortis Cario
Vita === vital energy, vitality, life energy, God, everything, tring to name something un-namable
Mortis = death, death wound
Cario = to cure, to heal
means
God heal wounds, Universe cure death, Energy of the universe - heal
I was happy to hear this in BG2, btw CAREO means "to be without", an english world "to care" comes from this. You see it?
If you want to know the truth of english language, you need to learn latin

#11 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Don't necropost. Closing thread.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri