Photo

To Icelus R.E. The Modlist

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:06 PM

Actually, Sorcerer's Place run a review section as well, not just IW.

I am not sure that a user rating system will separate anything from anything. A bright but highly controversial mod might score 50% right up there with the green-eyed half-drow kick-ass warrior-princess who is taunted by her tragic destiny but is cheerful and sweet at the same time mod (no real mod is implied, just my highly subjective idea of a bad mod)...

While it is true that a review serves as a better way to express a personal opinion, it, again, tells nothing to the mass-user, see Kulyok's ruminations on the matters of taste.

I love Ebert and Roeper. I watch it every week. I agree and disagree with their opinions. However, I do not know anyone in the movie world. That makes me an unbias viewer far removed from the internal squabbles. In every fan-fiction community I have seen, review system is a transparent public relationships hoax, abused in the power games and deeply affected by the community's political undercurrents. They all hunger for a passer-by "just" reader. They all get "I write therefore I review" instead.

In other words, there is nothing wrong with adding either rating or a review section. Just don't expect it to be unbias or filled in by an average player out of those 10,000 who downloaded the mod and had never taken a hand in modding himself. Especially if it is located at an active modding site. Sorcerer's Place or Iron Works, is, perhaps the better idea, because they do not actively mod, they are user-support oriented.

Edited by Ashara, 10 October 2005 - 02:26 PM.

#22 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:56 PM

Okay, well, like I tried to imply up above, we're not adding more functionality to the modlist. In part because the software doesn't support reviews and doesn't support ratings in a way I like (and I have no interest in commissioning someone to make it do so), in part because the "collaborative filtering" that goes on at the modlist is not necessarily a very good indicator of quality (when we had the Top X Links running, it highly ranked a number of lousy mods), and in part because there are already plenty of wonderful other alternatives for finding mods that may appeal to you, such as reading documentation, reading recommendation threads, downloading all the mods created by other people from your nation of origin, etc. etc.

#23 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:30 PM

Good idea. Domi, Dorotea, I think we should start labelling our mods with "Made in Russia." The best recommendation of all. :) Easier to implement than recommendation threads and rating system, too.

#24 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:47 AM

Well, for BG1NPC "Made in" label will be very, very long. :)

#25 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:47 AM

"International quality"? :)

#26 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:56 AM

Shoot bigger: A model for the world of the future :) OK, I really, really need to stop laughing.

#27 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:36 PM

Made by citizens of the earth?

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#28 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:28 AM

Made by citizens of the earth?

View Post

Well that would reduce the current modlist by half for starters... :whistling:

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka