Photo

Idea for the future

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:04 PM

I'm not sure if this has been brought up in the past, but I think it'd be pretty snazzy to see individual book graphics for all the books you can collect, or perhaps one grpahic for each set. History of the North I through whatever could all have the same appearance, for instance.

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:57 PM

I'd be willing to do some book graphics, I think - I'll have a look into it for you :)

I mean, if no-one else wants to do them. :P

Having only one graphic for all the books is one of my peeves from BG2.

#3 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:43 PM

Agreed. And this way, I'll be able to steal request permission to borrow the thing for Tutu. I loved collecting the books in BG1, heh.

#4 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:41 AM

This is a good idea actually. Some of us from SES can probably get involved in this if needed. :D

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:41 AM

Heey.. and I'm not affiliated with SES in any way at all, being a member, but eh ;) Brilliant idea, as most of yours are Seif. :P

I've just been exporting all the book graphics I can to bmp format... the list is as follows (if you have any to add to this, please say and I'll export is ASAP):

ibook01
ibook02
ibook03
ibook04
ibook05
ibook06
ibook07
ibook08
ibook09
ibook68
ibook89
ibook90
ibook91
ibook92
ibook93
imisc7h
imisc71

I'll attach them once I've finished :)

EDIT: okay, all the ones listed are attached in the zip I think.

Attached Files

Edited by K'aeloree, 14 October 2005 - 01:44 AM.

#6 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:24 AM

What games have you taken these from? IWDII had a fair few new ones I think.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#7 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:57 AM

Those are from BG2: SoA. I don't think there are any in ToB, so I didn't check. And I don't have IWD or IWDII or anything <grins> I'm just a BG2 fan.

#8 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:45 PM

I like this idea too! :new_thumbs:

Ghrey, do you also read what each books says in the game or you just collect them ? :D

#9 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:18 AM

I read most of them at one point, yeah. I'm sure there are a few I thought I'd read, but hadn't, though.

#10 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 04:43 AM

Alrighty.. I have compiled a fair number of wonderful book covers that fit in perfectly, just need to cull them down to the ones that *really* fit in. How many do you think we would need, approximately?

#11 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:27 PM

Well, here are 3 books I found on the net and 'baldurised'. What do you think? :)

Attached Images

• books.jpg

#12 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:14 PM

They look good, when can I read them? ;) Haveing the books with differnt covers will make me want to pull them off th shelf and see whats inside them.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#13 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:29 PM

I was wary about the idea, but now that I see the examples, I think it is pretty good. I'd like the most popular books (say, History of the North) to have old red Baldur's Gate cover, however.

#14 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 02:12 AM

Yessir! *salutes* I was going to do that anyway - well, for some books it may be appropriate to change their covers, but we'll see.

#15 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:30 AM

Alrighty.. I have compiled a fair number of wonderful book covers that fit in perfectly, just need to cull them down to the ones that *really* fit in. How many do you think we would need, approximately?

View Post

There are 98 book items (excluding any with file-names other than book**.itm), and 87 of them use ibook01.bam, from a brief glance. There are also a bunch of books that are in the same series, like the History of the North and Shadowdale (which has 12!).

I'd say this gives you a lot of room to do as many graphics as you want. If you run out, changing the contrast and RGB and whatnot of existing graphics could work, too, much like with potions.

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:19 PM

Okay... so, I imagine thats something like 50 different book images we'd need, because some of them would be in series (and obviously books which are in the same series would look the same).

Thanks Ghrey! :)

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:46 AM

Hmm.. have you checked ToB yet? I recall that Watcher's Keep added some new book graphics.

#18 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:11 PM

OPP seems to be focused on making the graphics look more like those in BG1, though. i.e. good. I'm not sure anyone really likes the ToB graphics.

#19 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:51 AM

No more news about this nice initiative of yours K'aeloree ? :)

#20 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:04 AM

Urk! As usual, as it wasn't completely blaring in my face (or in my mind) I completely forgot about this. I have a collection of images which need to be resized, but I never did much with them-- I'd be happy to continue if there was enough interest. The simple fact is now I have several projects which I am working on, which do limit my creative faculties, but as I said, if there is enough interest I'd be happy to continue.