Photo

BG1/TuTu/BGT Version?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Should a BG1/TuTu/BGT Version be created? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes or No?

1. Yes (20 votes [74.07%])

Percentage of vote: 74.07%

2. No (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:42 PM

Quite simply, should a version for TuTu be created? This would mean some of the BG1 NPCs would need to be done. Not to mention all the BG1 NPC portraits would need to be tweaked.

It would be really nice to have a unique start screen for the game. This is beyond my skills I think, but there are many talented artists that might be able to help with this. I'll probably give it a go and see what I can do.

If this does see light it would be nice to see portraits for the TuTu NPCs:

Finch
Indra
Mulgore
Mur'Neth
Xavia

Permission would be needed, naturally. I don't think the author (Robert Zellhart) has been seen in ages. He also stated when he released it that he was hoping other people might be able to finish up the project for him, so I guess that is (somewhat) permission for us to use this?

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#2 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:44 AM

Would you be able to make sure that if you change the portraits on TUTU/BGT game the change will not automatically be transfered over to the mods that introduce the returning BG1 NPCs into BG2 unless the authors had requested it? I understand that the official NPcs are fair game and we need share, but I would very much oppose something like that being done with Kivan if Kivan of Shilmista is installed. Perhaps, I lack a sense of humor and I am seriously obsessed with the character, but I just don't see the mod working after such a change. The individual users are of course free to use Bozo the Clown's portrait if they wish, but I would not want a specific modification made.

Edited by Ashara, 04 November 2005 - 09:10 AM.

#3 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

I had planned on doing the portraits as an all or nothing. Since it was requested (and nicely mind you) I would be happy to make at least Kivan as an optional install. Might do it for the other NPCs that have mods (Alora, Xan, Shar-Teel, etc....).

Of course the best solution would be for me not to be lazy when I write the .TP2 and make each one optional....

#4 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:41 AM

You can do the following: when you patch the bytes in your TP2 check for _IVANL, KIVANL, etc, and I will change Kivan's regular protrait in my mod to a different name patching the CRE, so your patch will not replace the protraits. This way NM's, Dragonmaiden's, Bg1 vanilla or TDD's Kivan can be altered, while KoSh's won't. :) Less work for you too.

Edited by Ashara, 04 November 2005 - 09:42 AM.

#5 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:43 AM

With how bad I am at coding if I tried to byte patch it would probably be read as Format C: or soemthing. I'll just do the ones with existing mods as optional components. When I do multiline commands, I just C&P the first line and change the filenames and directories.

Besides, the last thing I want to do is make more work with you for Kivan. My lady still wants you to hurry up and finish the romance. ;)

#6 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:13 AM

It's actually less work that way. Cam and Grim gave me that bit of the code when I did Plasmocat's portrait pack. It allows you to change all the colors and portraits on all CRE's in one fell swoop. You can download Plasmocat's Portrait pack, and take a look :) It's really easy.

#7 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:24 AM

Uzhos!

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#8 Pixel Kaiser

Pixel Kaiser

Formerly Tameon the Dragoon

• 1425 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:15 AM

I say you should deffinately go for a BGI/TuTu/BGT version. I was actually just thinking about it a little bit ago.

Mind you, I will (no offense intended) most likely never use this mod for myself, but it would be awfully strange for someone to play TuTu or something, then go into BGII with Baldur'sGoth installed. Ole Immy would wake you up sporting a whole new look.

Edited by Tameon the Dragoon, 05 November 2005 - 11:16 AM.

#9 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

I voted "no" yesterday. I think original NPC portraits to be of good quality, and I am rather opposed to the thought of changing them, especially if the resulting change, as I have seen from existing portraits, suffers a serious drop in quality.

My personal preferences, however, are not the only reason. Considering that many players play with mods these days, there is no way the mod will work, unless you obtain permission from all mod authors. Keto, Kelsey, Saerileth, Tashia, Jon Irenicus... a long list.

Since Dorotea said "uzhas"(horror), and I rather share her feelings, I believe some or, perhaps, more than some mod authors would withhold their permission. This way, your mod will cease to be fully functional.

This, the hurt feelings of the mod creators, and the fact that your work has just begun - these facts make me believe that it is not too late, and I may yet ask you to abandon this mod.

If you are determined to go on, of course, I can do nothing about it, but I still believe it will benefit you much more in the end, if you invest your time and energy in a more serious modding project.

#10 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:51 AM

I say you should deffinately go for a BGI/TuTu/BGT version. I was actually just thinking about it a little bit ago.

Mind you, I will (no offense intended) most likely never use this mod for myself, but it would be awfully strange for someone to play TuTu or something, then go into BGII with Baldur'sGoth installed. Ole Immy would wake you up sporting a whole new look.

No offense taken. Not everyone likes the same mods and looks. As to your last two sentances, that is what gave me the idea for this mod (that and how Baldur's Goth changes the default portraits on the character selection screen, a few of the old ones are left out). I also like how BGT and TuTu are set up to make your changes to the NPCs carry over from BG1 to BG2. Consistancy is always a good thing.

I voted "no" yesterday. I think original NPC portraits to be of good quality, and I am rather opposed to the thought of changing them, especially if the resulting change, as I have seen from existing portraits, suffers a serious drop in quality.

I prefer the edits in the Baldur's Goth project. I can say this without being a braggart, as none of them were my work. Art and beauty are impossible to label as good or not good, as they are all a matter of individual taste.

My personal preferences, however, are not the only reason. Considering that many players play with mods these days, there is no way the mod will work, unless you obtain permission from all mod authors. Keto, Kelsey, Saerileth, Tashia, Jon Irenicus... a long list.

That is my ideal goal. Which is why I spammed almost every modding group plugging this mod. Irenicus is included in the original Baldur's Goth package for the record.

Since Dorotea said "uzhas"(horror), and I rather share her feelings, I believe some or, perhaps, more than some mod authors would withhold their permission. This way, your mod will cease to be fully functional.

This, the hurt feelings of the mod creators, and the fact that your work has just begun - these facts make me believe that it is not too late, and I may yet ask you to abandon this mod.

That is true. Not everyone likes every mod. There are a few that are established as "good mods" that I think are crap and won't play. Some of them are based on concepts I think are complete rubbish. Not every mod is for every player. Besides, not all mods are signed up for the Crossmod banter pack which is a shame.

If you are determined to go on, of course, I can do nothing about it, but I still believe it will benefit you much more in the end, if you invest your time and energy in a more serious modding project.

I am determined to proceed with this, and work has allready begun. This is a serious mod to me. More "serious" modding is beyond my skill at this time. So I do smaller and easier to code mods like this while I learn. Besides, this one is one I would play/use even if I had no part in creating this one.

Edit: Fixed quotes. - SC

Edited by SConrad, 06 November 2005 - 02:58 PM.

#11 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:25 AM

Quite simply, should a version for TuTu be created? This would mean some of the BG1 NPCs would need to be done. Not to mention all the BG1 NPC portraits would need to be tweaked.

Just notice the thread and voted "Yeah, sure, why not?" :) See, at this exact moment I'm in process of configuring up my TuTu build for new run, and one of the thoughts that came to my mind at the process was "Hey, 'tis a pity there's no Goth mod for TuTu - it would be fun" :D Especially if every NPC will get his own optional component - I really like goth Aerie (heck, I'll like her in any way :Bow: ), Jaheira is nice, Viconia is so-so e t.c. (btw - why all of male NPCs looks like some faggots? mayhap I didn't understand something in *reeal* goth-ishness :blink: ). You get the idea - it would be perfect if one will be able to install only those NPC which he likes :)

Edited by Creepin, 06 November 2005 - 01:27 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#12 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:00 AM

I voted "Yes". BG2's portraits are already released, so why not make it semi-streamlined (not counting the Modded NPC's) and include BG1's NPC's as well.

#13 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:10 AM

Each to his own, subjective opinion, and all that-- but I'm just genuinely curious to know why Goth portraits seem to be so exciting? When True American Kelsey came out, we didn't see a major movement to patriotize all the other NPCs. :)
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#14 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:21 AM

Each to his own, subjective opinion, and all that-- but I'm just genuinely curious to know why Goth portraits seem to be so exciting? When True American Kelsey came out, we didn't see a major movement to patriotize all the other NPCs. :)

I'd say that it breaks the fourth wall, as with some mods around. Considering the historical connotations to the "goth" movement, it's be more applicable to this then nationalising other portraits I'd venture.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#15 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:36 AM

I've seen alternative portraits and portrait packs for Bioware\modded NPC, and while most of it is not exactly my taste, they work. Specifically Goth - I cannot say I see it working very well with BG environment, but if it was something like Quitch current avatar's level of quality, I would not complain; perhaps I would be even interested. Perhaps not.

I haven't really looked that closely at the quality of the artwork, but I'm just having a difficult time envisaging why Minsc wearing black lipstick might come as an improvement to the game. I'd quite like to hear from one of the proponents of the mod.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#16 sistersinister

sistersinister
  • Modder
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:23 PM

You will NEVER make one hundred percent of people happy one hundred percent of the time.

It's a damn good thing to aim for! :)

I don't think so. I think that we can drive ourselves crazy trying to make everyone happy all the time. I say do what you want so long as it harms none.

Bloody Kisses,
sistersinister :vbat:

Bloody Kisses,

Sister Sinister
http://www.eliteskil.../sistersinister

#17 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:34 PM

Firstly, Congratulations MTS on your forum and getting this project up and running. Damn fine work.

Secondly, If I want to play BG with a black lipstick wearing Minsc, give me one good reason why I shouldn't? I'm not going to force people to sit and watch my screen. I'm not going to force people to play their game with Minsc that way. I have the right to choose which NPC portraits sit in my Override folder, as people, do you all. I'll repect your right to play the game as you see fit, how about having the decency to respect the right of other people to do so to!

MTS, SinisterSister et al, keep up the good work. I for one look forward to having a few more choices in my Portrait Collection. :new_thumbs:

Edited by Jyzabyl, 06 November 2005 - 06:51 PM.

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#18 sistersinister

sistersinister
  • Modder
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:42 PM

Firstly, Congratulations MTS on your forum and getting this project up and running. Damn fine work.

Secondly, If I want to play BG with a black lipstick wearing Minsc, give me one good reason why I shouldn't? I'm not going to force people to sit and watch my screen. I'm not going to force people to play their game with Minsc that way. I have the right to choose which NPC portraits sit in my Override folder, as people do you all. I'll repect your right to play the game as you see fit, how about having the decency to respect the right of other people to do so to!

MTS, SinisterSister et al, keep up the good work. I for one look forward to having a few more choices in my Portrait Collection. :new_thumbs:

Thanks! I do appreciate the encouragement. I got into this when I heard MTS saying he was working on the Goth mod, so I got excited. I hope that I can live up to the standard expected here.

Bloody Kisses,
sistersinister

Bloody Kisses,

Sister Sinister
http://www.eliteskil.../sistersinister

#19 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

Secondly, If I want to play BG with a black lipstick wearing Minsc, give me one good reason why I shouldn't? I'm not going to force people to sit and watch my screen. I'm not going to force people to play their game with Minsc that way. I have the right to choose which NPC portraits sit in my Override folder, as people, do you all. I'll repect your right to play the game as you see fit, how about having the decency to respect the right of other people to do so to!

Thank you.

As for the rest of this topic as it is unrelated to the topic, if the discussion of who owns mods, and who has the right to change them has gotten completely off topic. If it continues, I will split the post.

I'd suggest discussing this further at G3.

#20 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:12 AM

Secondly, If I want to play BG with a black lipstick wearing Minsc, give me one good reason why I shouldn't?

Hear, hear! I completely agree with what Jyzabyl said. :)

As a note, I wrote for Jaheira in the BG1 NPC Mod and am of course a great fan of said NPC, and rather passionate about all things involving that half-elven druid. ;) I probably will not play with Jaheira's goth portrait myself - though I am very curious to see how her BG1 goth portrait will look like! - but to all people who want to use it, and will be using in conjuction with the texts I've written for her... urm, why shouldn't they be able to do so? I certainly won't feel personally insulted by the thought that someone somewhere plays the game 'improperly', the way it 'should have never been played', or whatever. I run *my* BG2 game with the mods *I* want, and I play it the way *I* want to play, everyone else should feel free to do the same and I will always support their rights to do so. :)