Older versions archive part 4: Ancient releases

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:57 AM

Note: This topic has been archived and locked. Any further discussion should go into the new threads.

Greetings everyone! I've recently done some BG2 modding, and I'd like to hear some comments and suggestions from players and fellow modders alike, and you can post bug reports here as well.

This mod can be downloaded from my homepage. I especially recommend that you get the enhanced version (aPack.exe) which is actually a compilation of all of my mods created using Westley Weimer's "WeiDU". The WeiDU format makes every component of the mod easily installable and uninstallable at request. In insures greater compatibility,and includes many custom dialogue strings and item descriptions which can not be found in the zipped versions of my mods. Don't worry about this though, the installer will automatically backup your DIALOG.TLK (and any other files it might modify) before making any changes. You can uninstall the mod with all it's contents in two clicks at any time. I'll now describe the mod features present in the current revision. Detailed feature descriptions will follow below this post...

BG2 Rogue Re-Balancing mod v 2.01
Mod Summary:
  • All Bards and Thieves may now assign three points in Two Weapon Fighting

• Swashbuckler THAC0 progression has been improved

• More enchanted Bucklers have been added to the game

• The BG1 items 'Dagger of Venom' and 'Kiel's Buckler' can now be re-acquired

• The default Bard song has been improved

• Enhanced Bard songs have been changed

• Each Bard kit now gets a specific Enhanced song

• Bards no longer get 'Set X Trap' high level abilities

• Bards now gain the new 'Chant' high level abilities

• The 'Magic Flute' high level ability has been modified

• Bards may now summon a 'Warrior's Spirit' via Magic Flute once per day

• Blades are now automatically proficient in Two Weapon Fighting

• Blades gain a new special ability 'Weapons Display'

• Blades no longer get the 'Enhanced Bard Song' high level ability

• Blades Pick Pocket penalty is now properly implemented

• Jesters gain two new innate abilities 'Fool's Luck' and 'A Jester's Mind'
Installation:

This should be done automatically if double clicked on the self-extracting archive (aPack.exe) and pointed the installer to your BG2 folder. If you have not used the self-extracting archive then manually copy the files form this archive to your BG2 folder and start 'Setup-aPack.exe'.

Description:

This mod will re-balance the BG2 Rogues (Bards and Thieves) in an attempt to bring them closer to their PnP incarnations, for best results you should start a new game. For easier navigation I've separated the changes are into several categories...

#2 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:59 AM

1) Proper Dual-Wield implementation:
-------------------------------------------------

Corebook 2E AD&D rules state that the 'Two Weapon Fighting' style should be available to Rogues. While it seams that BG2 uses a modified proficiency system from the 'The Complete Fighter's Handbook' supplement,it still fails to grant Rogues this benefit. I addressed this issue by allowing all Rogues (Thieves,Bards and their Kits and Multi-classes) to assign three points into 'Two Weapon Fighting' instead of just one. The reasoning is described below. From the 2E AD&D 'Player's Handbook':

"Attacking with Two Weapons; A tricky fighting style available only to warriors and rogues is that of fighting with two weapons simultaneously. The character chooses not to use a shield in favor of another weapon, granting him a greater number of attacks, with a penalty to his attack rolls (rangers are exempt from the attack roll penalty)."

From the 2E AD&D 'Combat and Tactics' supplement:

"Two Weapon; Not to be confused with the two-handed weapon style,two weapon style uses a weapon in each of the character's hands. The advantage of this is clear: the character either has more attack power or can use the secondary weapon defensively to block incoming blows. Another benefit lies in the fact that even if the character loses a weapon, he's still armed. The character can use any one-handed weapon in his primary hand, but his secondary weapon must be a size smaller than his primary weapon. Knives and daggers can always be used, regardless of the primary weapon's size. The character suffers a -2 penalty to attacks with the primary weapon, and a -4 to attacks with the secondary weapon. This penalty is offset by the character's reaction adjustment for high Dexterity. Important Note: While the character receives his normal number of attacks for class, level, and specialization with his primary weapon, he only receives one additional attack with his secondary weapon. Warriors and rogues know two weapon fighting style"

#3 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 10:00 AM

2) Bard and Thief Kit changes:
---------------------------------------

My modified versions of these kits are based on their PnP counterparts described in the 2E AD&D 'Complete Bard's Handbook' and 'Complete Thief's Handbook' supplements.

(2a) Swashbuckler kit changes:

- The Swashbuckler now gains an additional +1 to THAC0 (but not to damage) every 10 levels starting at level 1.

(2b) Bard class changes:

The default Bard song has been improved,since the old one seamed to do nothing...(?)

- New default Bard song effects:

lvl 1: +1 to hit and +1 to save vs spells
lvl 10: +1 to hit and +1 to all saving throws
lvl 20: +2 to hit and +2 to all saving throws

(2c) Blade kit changes:

Blades now start with maximum proficiency (3 points) in two weapon fighting style and they get a new special ability called 'Weapons Display' once every 10 levels starting at level 1. They no longer gain access to the ToB special ability 'Enhanced Bard Song'. Their missing 50% Pick Pockets penalty has now been properly implemented.

Advantages:

- Blades are now automatically proficient in Two Weapon Fighting
- Blades gain a new special ability 'Weapons Display' once every 10 levels

Disadvantages:
- Blades no longer get the 'Enhanced Bard Song' high level ability
- Blades 50% Pick Pocket penalty is now properly implemented
- Blade's Song does not become better with levels

Blade song effects:

lvl 1: +1 to hit +1 to save vs spells (never improves beyond this)

Weapons Display:

Range: Visual range of the Blade
Duration: 3 rounds/10 levels
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: 20 feet radius
Saving Throw: Special

By whirling a melee or hurled weapon about, a Blade can affect the morale and courage of others. For this ability to have an effect, the Blade must whirl a non-missile weapon about his body. Such a display of skill, precision, and deadly grace automatically lowers opponents' chance to hit by 2 (no save) and often frightens weaker enemies (save vs spells). The observer must be close enough to the Blade to see the display. This act also inspires allies, giving a +1 bonus to their attack rolls. The display must occur for a full round without interruption. During this time, any successful attack upon the Blade, or failed saving throw by the Blade, disrupts the display. Someone who has recently witnessed the display will not likely be impressed by it again, at least for a while. The effectiveness of this ability improves as the Blade gains more levels.

(2c) Jester kit changes:

Jesters gain two new innate abilities 'Fool's Luck' and 'A Jester's Mind'

Fool's Luck:
- It is amazing to most that Jesters can survive in any situation. They are careless, foolish, and given to whimsical decisions. It is fool's luck that has saved many a Jester's life. Jesters receive a +1 bonus to all saving throws and a +5% bonus to all thief skill checks. Fool's luck also adds a +1 bonus to the Jester's base Armor Class.

A Jester's Mind:
- Jesters are immune to attacks that cause insanity. (i.e. spells like Confusion or Rigid Thinking)

#4 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 10:06 AM

3) New Enhanced Songs:
----------------------------

The Enhanced Bard songs have been changed, each kit now gets a specific song:

(3a) Enhanced Bard Song

This is a powerful aid to both the bard and to his allies. The song gives the bard himself a 10 point bonus to his AC and 10% magic resistance bonus due to the power of the song. The song also gives his allies +4 to hit, +4 to all saving throws, -4 to AC, +5% magic resistance, and grants them immunity to normal

(3b) Enhanced Skald Song

This is a powerful aid to both the Skald and to his allies. The song gives the Skald himself a 10 point bonus to his AC and 10% magic resistance bonus due to the power of the song. The song also gives his allies +6 to hit, +6 to damage, -6 to AC, immunity to Fear, Stun and Confusion, +5% magic resistance and immunity to normal weapons.

(3c) Enhanced Jester Song

This is a powerful aid to both the Jester and to his allies. The song gives the Jester himself a 10 point bonus to his AC and 10% magic resistance bonus due to the power of the song. It affects every opponent within 60 feet, and they must save vs. spells once per round or be stunned, slowed or confused. The song also gives his allies immunity to Fear, Confusion and immunity to normal weapons.

(4) New Bard High Level Abilities
------------------------------------------

Bards no longer get 'Set X Trap' high level abilities. Instead,Bards now gain 'Chants' which are special abilities somewhat similar to the Bard songs, but they effect enemies. Possible Magic resistance of the enemies has no effect on Chants. Specific effect immunities do apply however.

(4a) War Chant:

By completely focusing on chanting a legendary war song, the Bard can demoralize and intimidate his foes. Before they go forward into combat, enemies receive a -4 penalty to hit,+ 4 to their base AC and -2 to all their saving throws for 10 rounds. There is also a 10% chance that their Strength and Dexterity scores will be lowered by 2. Multiple war chants are not cumulative.

(4b) Enthralling Melody:

While the Bard softly hums this catchy tune, he can amaze and enthrall any audience, even those that do not understand his language. Listeners in the area of effect must successfully save vs. spells or give the Bard their undivided attention, totally ignoring their surroundings. Even enemies become stunned in amazement for 5 rounds if they fail their save. However, anyone that successfully resists, or frees himself from the melody is less suspectable to fall for it again.

(4c) Symphony of Chaos:

This concentrated cacophony ensues when a Bard plays an instrument by randomly mixing high pitched notes and deep mellow tones with inarticulate battle cries and other loud screams. This "song" causes disorientation and severe perceptual distortion, creating indecision and the inability to take effective action. Thus enemies must save vs. spells or be Deafened (33% spell failure) Confused or Slowed for 10 rounds. Allies of the Bard suffer no ill effects from the symphony, they merely find it displeasing.

(4d) Magic Flute

This ability creates a magic flute made of pure magical energy. When played, the flute can be used to cast the following spells:
Resist Fear (Party) - 1 charge
Globe of Invulnerability - 1 charge
Delayed Blast Fireball - 3 charges

The spell-like abilities on the Flute are used in the same way that a wand's powers are used. The Flute lasts for 1 day.

SPECIAL:

In the halls of Valhalla rest the most valiant of all warriors. If the Bard agrees to spread stories and songs of their legendary deeds, and prevent them from being forgotten, the spirits of these fallen warriors will join his cause and aid him for a short while. The flute can summon forth a level 19 Berserk Warrior once per day. The warrior will fight for the Bard for 10 rounds.

Note : This Berserker warrior is a custom made NPC-creature of mine. The player can not control him directly, but he is considered an ally, and you get the experiance for every kill he may make. This is very similar to the way that Bodhi and Balthazar were handled in the Ascension mod.

* In case you are wondering...the stats of this summoned warrior are those of a lvl 19 CG Male Human Berserker with maximum HP rolled (175), AC -4, STR 18/94, DEX 16, CON 18(19), INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 9. He is dual wielding undroppable versions of the Axe of Unyielding +5 and Frostreaver +3 He is also wearing the 'Pride of the Legion' full plate and a Helmet of Defense. He is hasted and has 5 attacks per round (3 1/2 normal +1 from Dual Wielding +1/2 from haste). When he becomes Enraged, he gains the standard immunities which all Berserkers get when they use that ability, but he will only use 'Enrage' if enemies are nearby, otherwise he will follow the movements of the nearest player.

#5 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 10:09 AM

5) New Bucklers:
-----------------------

The mod also addresses the deficit of magical Bucklers in BG2. It adds more generic magical bucklers, with an enchantment level up to +3, and restores the long lost 'Kiel's Buckler' and 'Dagger of Venom' from BG1. I added two of my custom made enchanted bucklers as well. You can buy the restored BG1 items and the new magical Bucklers from Arnolinus' Armory store in Waukeen's Promenade (AR0706). Here are the stats of my two custom made bucklers:

(5a) The Guardian +2

This odd shield seams to be entirely made up of large hardened leaves. The unusual shape and size of these leaves suggests they came from ancient oak trees which grow deep in the Forest of Mir. Upon closer examination powerful druidic enchantments can be discovered emanating from the shield's surface and it seams to increase the health of its owner while held. Every morning,at sunrise,one of the leaves glows faintly. It can then be picked and planted into the ground while another instantly grows back to take its place. After the proper incantation is spoken,the planted leaf will grow into a great Shambling Mound. Because of its strange origin,the power of this shield can only be unlocked by the most devoted of Nature's followers.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: 3
+10 % bonus to hit points
Summon Shambling Mound once per day
Special: No Missile/Piercing Attack Protection
Weight: 1
Requires: 4 Strength
Only Usable By:
Druids (single-class)

(5b) Rogue's Ward +2

This buckler shows traces of an enchantment often used by clerics of Mask. The Shadowlord blessed this shield with his touch to hide and guard those who follow him from any dangers which they might encounter in their risky professions. The holder of this buckler is protected from most death magics and can resist other spells more easily. The surface of the shield is dark and very smooth. It can reflect the image of its wearer to fool enemies in times of need.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: 3
Death Ward while equipped
Save vs. spells: +1 bonus
Casts Mislead 2x per day
Special: No Missile/Piercing Attack Protection
Weight: 2
Requires: 4 Strength
Only Usable By:
Thief
Bard

Compatibility:
==========

I believe this mod is not compatible with the 'Multi-Class Grand Mastery' component from Westley Weimer's Ease-of-use Mod. However,it is fully compatible with the Baldurdash/TeamBG 'True Grand Mastery'.

Known Bugs:
=========

* Although the inventory slot picture of the new bucklers is round,the character paper doll and avatar will still use the small shield graphics. The reason for this is to prevent possible graphical glitches with BG2's higher resolutions.

* If you have already visited Arnolinus' store you will not be able to buy the new bucklers,because the SHOP02.STO file is now contained in your save game. You can either start a new game or insert them manually via CLUAConsole.

* Do not assign any proficiency points to 'Two Weapon Style' with Blades as they gain this for free upon starting the game. Any spent points will be lost.

* Existent re-balanced characters (i.e Blades) won't receive some new abilities. For best results start a new game.

#6 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 05:50 PM

My favourite thief weapon is back! Woo-hoo! Courtesy to the chef... err... Love the new shop!
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#7 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:27 AM

That would be the 'Dagger of Venom' correct ? Well, you are not alone here, many people complained about it's absence in BG2 so I decided to restore it. BTW, it seams that the dagger's original description is a bit off. The poison damage requires a failed save vs poison so I'll add that info in my next revision. Also, I might add a couple of more BG2 items just for fun...like the 'Eagle Bow' or 'Longtooth dagger'.

Also, I'm thinking about restoring the Short Sword of Backstabing to it's proper PnP state (it should actually add a THAC0 and backstab bonus for thieves).

#8 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 02:11 PM

My favourite is definitely the Dagger of Venom. My only complaint so far is I downloaded the mod right after I went off for Spellhold.
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#9 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:39 PM

You are already in Spellhold ? Hmm...you might encounter this problem:

If you have already visited Arnolinus' store you will not be able to buy the new bucklers,because the SHOP02.STO file is now contained in your save game. You can either start a new game or insert them manually via CLUAConsole.

This is one of the reasons I'm transferring my new (and the restored) roguish items to a separate store in my next revision. They will probably be sold as 'special wares' from the female shopkeeper in the Shadow Thieves' hall.

#10 Cibbwin

Cibbwin

Rabid Kneebiter, Sphira's prince, and heirophant to DarkFire

• 164 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 04:09 PM

These changes are great, I love the bard class, and I did find it kind of stupid that blades don't ALREADY get proficiencies in two hand style. Kudos to ye!

#11 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Cibbwin! BTW, some of my changes (especially the new bard abilities) are not retroactive because of Infinity Engine limitations (heh that sounds weird :D) so the best solution would be to start a new game as I mentioned in the mod readme.

#12 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 10:43 AM

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be where I suggest this, but for the current store, how about restoring the horn and claw of Kazgorath? And maybe a robe of Neutral Archmagi... and Spider's Bane....

#13 Kvaren

Kvaren
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:10 PM

Since the mod alters proficiencies, am I correct in assumning that it is incompatible with TDD and the upcoming BP release?

#14 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:11 PM

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be where I suggest this, but for the current store, how about restoring the horn and claw of Kazgorath?

That would be somewhat pointless as you can import those two items from BG1 along with your character.

...robe of Neutral Archmagi... and Spider's Bane....

The abovementioned robe is being worn by the Selina, a Sorceress that belongs to my party of Cyric's Chosen and will appear in v3.00. As for Spider's Bane, I'll consider it in some future revision along with a few other missing non-roguish items from BG1.

Since the mod alters proficiencies, am I correct in assumning that it is incompatible with TDD and the upcoming BP release?

Well, I'm not entirely sure as I'm not that familiar with the changes that 'The Darkest Day' incorporates. My mod currently replaces the WEAPPROF.2DA file and some other 2DA files related to thief and bard kits, so it's most likely not compatible with TDD.

#15 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 10:47 AM

Also, I'm thinking about restoring the Short Sword of Backstabing to it's proper PnP state (it should actually add a THAC0 and backstab bonus for thieves).

Good idea. The problem is a thief will miss out on it if they want the guild, which is a shame.

Maybe, you could write in an extra Renal quest. For example, after you claim the guild, he'll ask you to perform another difficult task (killing some vampires would be fun), and then he rewards you with the short sword as well.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#16 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 02:43 PM

The thing is, the change can only be done with effect files (.EFF) and I've made a couple of attempts but I couldn't make it work properly. I'll keep trying nonetheless.

As for the sword not being available if you get the guild, well that just seams like another coding bug/oversight to me. I could easily rewrite Renal's script so that he gives you the sword either way.

#17 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 07:21 AM

The thing is, the change can only be done with effect files (.EFF) and I've made a couple of attempts but I couldn't make it work properly. I'll keep trying nonetheless.

As for the sword not being available if you get the guild, well that just seams like another coding bug/oversight to me. I could easily rewrite Renal's script so that he gives you the sword either way.

You get a similar sword in the improved thief guild mod. A +4 short sword that increases your backstab multiplier. I wish they'd used a different icon though (it uses the SSOB icon).

The number of short swords in the game at the beginning is ok, but daggers are lacking. But a restored dagger of venom and life stealer dagger alleviates the shortage. Also, the short swords you've equipped your Cyric party with are great.

#18 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 07:22 AM

If you do improve the short sword of backstabbing, you might consider using its original BG1 icon (it looks much cooler IMO).

#19 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:31 AM

You get a similar sword in the improved thief guild mod. A +4 short sword that increases your backstab multiplier.

Hmm...I originally intended to make a short sword that remains usable by anyone but acts as a generic +3 weapon for everybody except thieves who would get a THAC0 and backstab bonus when wielding it. This is the way it works in PnP I believe, and that method would requires usage of EFFs in order to work. If this proves impossible I'll use the standard restriction method.

If you do improve the short sword of backstabbing, you might consider using its original BG1 icon

Wouldn't that be the same icon as in BG2 (ISW1H10.BAM) ?

#20 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 11:37 AM

Wouldn't that be the same icon as in BG2 (ISW1H10.BAM) ?

Nope, the icon was changed. The BG1 icon seems sharper and more sinister in my opinion.