Older versions archive part 3: Items

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 10:16 AM

Note: This topic has been archived and locked. Any further discussion should go into the new threads.

These are the currently planned items which would be gained from the Chapter 6 encounter with the party of Cyric's Chosen. Most of them are imported from Icewind Dale 1 although some of them have been modified and a few character-specific ones were created by myself. If you notice any spelling or other errors in my custom item descriptions please let me know and I'll correct them. Also, feel free to discuss any potentially overpowered or underpowered items. Note that the encounter in which these items will be gained takes place in late Chapter 6 of BG2 (right after the slaying of Bodhi). Also, I'd like to add some more low level roguish IWD items for sale at the Shadow Thief's guild...for example the 'Lyre of Progression' and (heh) the 'Returning Frost Dart' :D

explanation

no marks = item was imported from IWD1 with no additional modifications
* = item was imported from IWD1 but it's description/features have been modified
** = item was created by myself

Barrier Amulet

This powerful amulet was crafted by the enchanter Celemon of Calimport in 727 DR. He crafted ten such amulets on commission before jealous rivals killed him and attempted to duplicate the procedure. His colleagues were not as talented as Celemon, and destroyed their laboratory and themselves when a mishap occurred. The formula was destroyed as well. This particular amulet was owned by the elven warrior-mage Pelan Rainwind. It was lost when he was killed by giants in the Spine of the World somewhere around 840 DR.

STATISTICS:

Simultaneously casts Stoneskin and Minor Globe of Invulnerability on the user (3x per day)
Usable By:
Mage
Sorcerer

Boots of the Fox

These gaudy red and green boots were worn by the rogue Elpham of Perrywine. Elpham was a pickpocket of exceptional talent who pressed his luck by taunting his victims shortly after taking their loot. After being caught twice, Elpham invested his money in having these boots made. Of course, Elpham came to an untimely end when he picked the pocket of the notoriously ill-tempered Red Wizard of Thay, Xain Morobdel. Elpham stole a pouch full of gems off of Xain's waist and danced off into the crowd shouting, "Why don't you try to chase me back to the Priador, baldy? Ha ha!" Xain, quietly fuming, promptly summoned four invisible stalkers and commanded them to, "Kill the idiot in the red and green boots."

STATISTICS:

+1 Bonus to Armor Class
Increases movement rate by 40%

Stormcharged Axe *

This superbly crafted axe holds an enchantment of unusual origin. Immediately after it was forged the axe was brought on top of a high mountain peak where dwarven priests waited for a great storm to gather. The weapon was placed on an iron pedestal and soon afterward struck by a bolt of lightning. Because of the pre placed enchantment it absorbed some of the bolt's properties.

The axe was later given to a high ranking dwarven captain to aid him in the ensuing battle between the orcish hordes and the dwarves of Dorn's Deep. The attack came as a complete surprise to the dwarwes when one morning a scout arrived and told that the largest orcish army he had ever seen was only hours away. With little time to prepare, the dwarven defenses were overrun and the orcs began to pour into Dorn's Deep. The dwarves were forced to retreated into the depths of the citadel but key passages were collapsed to cover their movements and buy them time. Even in such dire conditions, this allowed the dwarves to control when and where they would fight. Every battle cost the orcs dearly as the dwarves fought on their terms, but they were still being driven farther and farther back into Wyrm's Tooth Glacier. The axe was taken by orcs when they finally overran the dwarven defenses.

STATISTICS:
Damage: 1D8+3
THAC0: +3
Damage type: Slashing
Special:
+1d3 electrical damage
15% chance target is Stunned
Weight: 5
Speed Factor: 4
Proficiency Type: Axe
Type: 1-handed
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage
Thief

Hold Fast *

A Zhentarim battle mage crafted this blade hoping it would help him prevail in melee combat when he was challenged to a duel. The powerful sword was supposed to deflect most incoming blows and incapacitate his enemy at the same time. Unfortunately, the mage lacked any real skill with the weapon and was easily defeated by his opponent.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D8 +3
THAC0: +3 bonus
Damage type: Slashing
Armor Class: +1 bonus
Special:
15% chance of casting Hold Person
+15% Slashing Resistance
Weight: 4
Speed Factor: 4
Proficiency Type: Long Sword
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage

Studded Leather of Resistance *

This peculiar piece of leather is rumored to have come from Sigil. Not much is known of it's previous owners but the leather seams to have been cut from the hide of some lesser Tanar'ri. Those that have worn the armor were bestowed with slight damage and elemental resistances. It is unclear if these powers come from the hide itself or enchantments placed upon it.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 4
Resistance Bonuses:
+15% Piercing Resistance
+15% Slashing Resistance
+15% Fire Resistance
+15% Electrical Resistance
+2 Save vs. Spells
Weight: 15
Not Usable By:
Mage

Spell Diver

The sellsword Naradon of Thesk was known for his ability to quickly and efficiently defeat enemy mages even when outnumbered. He earned this reputation with the help of three items: Potions of Speed, Boots of Speed, and his trusted short sword, Spell Diver. Unlike many other magical weapons, Spell Diver does not have a dark, murderous history. Naradon retired from adventuring when he was thirty-two. His fondness for Potions of Speed caught up with him when he died of old age four years later. His only heir had no desires to be an adventurer. He sold the weapon to a known cat burglar a few years after his father's death. The sword can be recognized by the kingfisher stamped into the ricasso.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D6+2
THAC0: +2
Damage type: Piercing
Special: 25% of all hits nullify the target's ability cast spells for 2 rounds
Resistance Bonuses:
+1 to Save vs. Spells
+5% Magic Resistance
Weight: 1
Speed Factor: 1
Proficiency Type: Short Sword
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage

Rogue's Cowl *

This dark brown cowl is meant to be worn on the head and over the shoulders as a broad hood. It was crafted by the gnomish thief and illusionist Brein Chestnut. Brein used the cowl on his own adventures for several years before his childhood sweetheart convinced him to settle down. He gave the cowl to his nephew, Chirchet, who in turn sold the item for a large stretch of farmland.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: +1
Special: +15% to Hide In Shadows
Wearer can cast Blindness and Prismatic Spray 1/Day.
Weight: 2
Only Usable By:
Thief
Bard

Silent Death **

This sword once belonged to Venduris, a cunning assassin in service of Cyric. When the rogue became a Chosen of the Prince of Lies, he received the small blade as a welcoming gift. The sword held only minor enchantments back then, but it's power seamed to increase with each kill Venduris made in the name of his new master. The assassin preferred to fulfill the tasks swiftly and silently and often his victims were not even aware of their nearing demise. Sometimes though, if the target had angered his patron significantly, Venduris would apply a deadly poison to the blade before striking. His victims then started choking, unable to speak or cry for help, while Cyric laughed in glee as their silent faces twisted from incredible pain and suffering caused by the later poison effects which eventually led to a slow tormenting death.

The blade pulsates with a dim greenish glow and clearly radiates evil emanations. The tip and edges of the sword are coated with a layer of magical poison, making it very difficult to use the weapon without harming oneself. Only rogues of exceptional skill and cunning may attempt to wield this blade.

STATISTICS:

THACO: +4 bonus
Damage: 1D6 +4
Damage type: piercing
On Each Hit:
6 points of poison damage (1 per second)
Save vs. Breath or become Silenced for 5 rounds
5% chance of casting Finger of Death
Speed Factor: 0
Proficiency Type: Short Sword
Requires: 15 Dexterity and Inteligence
Not usable By:
Anyone but Thieves
Good Characters

Shadowed Boots

Upon closer inspection of these boots, the fabric seems to be made of some corporeal material. Wearing these boots causes the user to take on an almost shadowed or ghostly appearance. Additionally, sound becomes eerily muffled as if heard from a distance.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: 1
Special:
+10% Move Silently
+15% Hide In Shadows
Weight: 5
Only usable by:
Thief

The Salamander's Tongue

A wicked-looking dagger with a dark history, the Salamander's Tongue is prized both for its use as a weapon and its hidden magical powers. The blade appears to be an exotic looking dagger with a kris-like wavy blade ending in two small points. A small portion of a slimy, bright red living salamander's tongue is somehow embedded in the heart of the blade, near the grip. It pulses and writhes randomly without intervention from the owner.

The exact origins of the blade are unknown, but it is believed that the first owner of the weapon was a respected and feared gnomish thief and assassin from Westgate named Turlam Shallowhill. Turlam was killed in a fight with a rival, a halfling called Deder Seven Fingers. Deder kept the weapon as a trophy, not knowing its powers until after it was stolen by an underling, a fellow halfling named Kreshinal Blackhound. Kreshinal fled to Selgaunt with the dagger for five years, relying on its powers to hide him from divination. Kreshinal lost the dagger in a botched gambling scam, and was killed by Deder's agents within the month. Deder attempted to reclaim the dagger from the Sembian criminals who had captured it. He succeeded at routing the thieves and reclaiming his dagger, but he focused so much attention on the blade that he didn't notice that the Sembian criminals had employed a priest of Mask to infiltrate and break down his interests in Westgate. The ensuing war between the Westgate and Selgaunt factions ended when the priest of Mask, Pieter the Feeble, made the two sides so paranoid that they ate themselves away from the inside. Pieter grabbed the dagger when he had the opportunity and escaped to Hillsfar, confident that the unorganized demihuman supporters of the late Deder Seven Fingers wouldn't follow him to a place so hostile to their kind.

In yet another scam, Pieter sold the blade to a Mulmaster Hawk while luring other potential buyers to an auction in Hillsfar. Pieter and his associates murdered the buyers at the fake auction and made off with the cash, hiding under the cover of an Amulet of Non-Detection. The Mulmaster Hawk who purchased the blade was supposedly killed by priestesses of Umberlee who were angry at the assassin's refusal to pay tribute to the Bitch Queen. Years of factional fighting between the Umberlants are believed to have transported the blade as much as three thousand miles away from its humble beginnings in Sembia. The whereabouts of Pieter the Feeble and his goons are currently unknown.

Damage: 1D4 +3
THAC0: +3 bonus
Damage type: Piercing
Resistance Bonuses:
+10% Fire Resistance
+3 Save vs. Poison
Special:
20% of all hits do +1D4 fire damage
User under the effects of Non-Detection
Speed Factor: 0
Proficiency Type: Daggers
Not Usable By:
Cleric

Dead Man's Face *

These ancient helms were once common among the Reghedmen barbarians who came to what is now known as Icewind Dale. The design of the armor is relatively simple: a plain iron helm with a hinged faceplate. Once the basic construction of the helm had been finished, craftsmen would tool the image of a dead warrior onto the faceplate. The name of the warrior and a one word description of his death were carved into the forehead of the mask. The helm was then left in the dead warrior's funeral pyre. The priests believed that the mask would hide the dead man's fear of the afterlife when he was judged by Tempos. After a month had passed, the helms of particularly valiant warriors were recovered by the priests. Over the next few years, the priests praised the valiant warriors by name in their daily rituals. According to legend, if Tempos found the warrior to be truly valiant, the helm would gain the power to make the wearer immune to fear. This particular helm bears the ancient name "Siglef" and the word "Axe".

STATISTICS:

Special:
Protects Against Critical Hits
Wearer is immune to Fear
-2 Charisma while worn
Weight: 3
Not Usable By:
Mage
Bard
Thief

Sune's Laurel of Favor

This wreath of laurel leaves and roses was a gift from the church of Sune to the priestesses of Hanali Celanil at the Hand of the Seldarine. The representatives of the human goddess of love and beauty were well received and the high priestess of Hanali Celanil wore the laurel whenever humans were visiting the Hand. The orcs discarded the laurel as useless trash when they sacked the priests' tower.

STATISTICS:

Special: +1 Charisma while worn
Not Usable By:
Evil Characters

The Dark Mystery **

The surface of this odd Ioun stone is pitch black and seemingly consumes all light around it. Very little is known about its origin as all divination attempts focused on it mysteriously fail. The only lore of this object comes from old legends and rumors. While some people claim the stone is but one shard of a fallen star, others believe it is in reality a lost Netheril magical device, or even a fragment of essence from some dead god.

Although it looks somewhat frail, this stone noticeably pulsates with strong arcane energies, but for some unknown reason most of them remain inactive. The only apparent effect is that good luck somehow affects its possessor. You notice three small holes engraved in a triangular fashion on the bottom part. They resemble a symbol or a socket of some sort.

STATISTICS:

Unknown ?

#2 Nukenin

Nukenin
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 01:55 PM

In true IWD fashion, you should make some of these random--i.e. the Chosen may or may not have a given item. And the Chosen should definitely use these items to their fullest against the PCs in the encounter!

#3 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 03:47 PM

I must disagree here. While I could make all those items random, it would make the NPC scripting a real nightmare and trust me, the scripts are very complex even without some further additions which I have planned.

Take my halfling fighter/thief Bodak for example. I've set him in the role of the group's main archer, and he fulfills that function pretty well so far. He has three types of arrows on him which he changes according to the actual situation. If he sees a stoneskined mage Bodak will hit him/her with an arrow of dispelling. Same goes for extremely 'buffed up' characters that have many spell protections. Other vise, Bodak will target spell casters with arrows of biting (poison does wonders for disrupting spells) and any other characters with arrows of acid (extra elemental damage with no save). He'll also use potions of invisibility when he's badly hurt or cornered and he'll try to run away to a safe spot to heal while still invisible and return to fight once he's battle ready again. he has some more special script events in store but don't worry, they consist only of things that the regular thief player could do - no cheese.

Now that I think of it, each of my other characters can be very deadly on his own (you should see Venduris backstab for 100+ damage or Zaeron using imp. haste -> mislead and then backstabing for 60-70 with each hit!). Their true strength comes from teamwork though, but I won't reveal much more of that :ph34r: The BETA of this revision should be available for download sometime next week and it'll include the complete battle component with very few dialogue lines so you'll be able to see all this for yourself.

#4 Nukenin

Nukenin
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:31 PM

Include a savegame with a sample party right before the encounter, so it's easy to test it out.

As for the items, ah well--why not throw a chest in the corner with random loot. ;) (Then again, people will just do like they do in IWD or NWN and reload and reload until they get the good item. :) )

#5 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:31 AM

Include a savegame with a sample party right before the encounter, so it's easy to test it out.

While this might prove usefull, it would make the download too big. I designed the encounter for a party of six with 2950000-3500000 XP per character, so you can use the a party from the end of SoA, just load the 'Final Save'.

As for the items, ah well--why not throw a chest in the corner with random loot.

The items I listed above are all equpped and used by the Chosen of Cyric B)

#6 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 10:20 AM

Could you put some extra weapons in the thief guild store, so thieves get something out of the guild other than an endless supply of cash?

That Life Stealer dagger (modified of course) would be cool, if you haven't decided to use it already.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#7 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:58 PM

There's already a Mod that improved the entire guild stronghold anyway... two new weapons... smugglers to get you stuff... two new quests... one new store (especially for potions)
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#8 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:17 PM

There's already a Mod that improved the entire guild stronghold anyway... two new weapons... smugglers to get you stuff... two new quests... one new store (especially for potions)

The improved thief guild mod is... difficult. It doesn't add anything to the actual thief guild shop, which should contain premium items.

By the way, is that mod finished, or is it gonna be updated with extra quests? I'd like to see a few vampire hunting quests, personally (semi-related to Aran's tasks).

#9 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 06:23 PM

the store is updated enough for my tastes at least...
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#10 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 07:13 AM

Could you put some extra weapons in the thief guild store, so thieves get something out of the guild other than an endless supply of cash?

As evildevil mentioned, Blucher has already done some work on improving Mae'Var's guild, so you should probably address this request at him. BTW, I'll be transferring all of my upgraded roguish items to the main hall of the Shadow Thieves. The female merchant will sell them as 'special wares' and I might even make her a more detailed NPC... (long term plans)

BTW, if anyone's wondering what's holding up the next revision of this mod I can tell you right away...the dialogue and cutscene scripting ! While I find it very pleasant and relaxing to write dialogue and design cutscenes it's incredibly frustrating for me to actually script them ! The scripting language is not the problem as I'm already fairly familiar with that, but the various branchings and NPC interactions which I planned are really hard to implement :( I could release the beta any day now which will contain a minor preview of the dialogue and the whole Chosen of Cyric combat encounter so you could test their AI...

That Life Stealer dagger (modified of course) would be cool, if you haven't decided to use it already.

It's currently not being used in my mod, but I will add it once I restore the Artemis encounter.

#11 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 09:17 AM

BTW, I'll be transferring all of my upgraded roguish items to the main hall of the Shadow Thieves. The female merchant will sell them as 'special wares' and I might even make her a more detailed NPC... (long term plans)

Sounds great.

#12 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 02:05 PM

Longinus, what do you think of my custom items and the ones which I ported and modified from IWD ? Do they seam overpowered or unbalancing ? Just FYI, they can be acquired in late Chapter 6 of SoA right after the party defeats Bodhi. Every item mentioned above is equipped and actively used by a member of my party of Cyric's Chosen.

#13 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 03:34 PM

They seem fine to me. I can already imagine wielding that studded leather with Hold Fast for the combined resistences.

#14 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 03:36 PM

But about the studded leather... you might want to make it a thief exclusive item. A barbarian is already quite powerful without such armour.

#15 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:10 PM

...I can already imagine wielding that studded leather with Hold Fast for the combined resistences.

Hehe...that's exactly what Grok (the Barbarian in my Cyric encounter) is doing :D

But about the studded leather... you might want to make it a thief exclusive item. A barbarian is already quite powerful without such armour.

True, but I believe this item was not restricted in IWD, and my barbarian enemy is allready using it but...I'll consider it anyway.

Notice that I had to add new descriptions for some of the IWD items as well because they had only generic ones. Could you check them out and see if I per chance made any conceptual mistakes or something like that ?

#16 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 09:31 AM

No problem. I'll check the relevant items as soon as I dig up my copy of Icewind Dale (I still have the game installed, thankfully, and both expansions).

Actually, I think the studded leather of resistence is quite balanced. It is only +3 and a barbarian can find better armour. The trade off is resistences for AC points.

#17 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 02:46 PM

The code for the Studded Leather of Resistance is USLTR4A.ITM and it seams to have standard leather armor restrictions i.e. anyone but a mage may use it. The Shadowed Leather +4 (USLTR5A.ITM) on the other hand is restricted to rangers and thieves only.

#18 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 09:32 PM

Nostalgics rejoice! Some more BG1 items shalll be restored and added to my rogue shop:

Long Sword +2: 'Varscona' - IIRC there actually *was* one of these in BG2 but you could only get it in the Elven city which made it rather obsolete

Eagle Bow - I removed an erroneous strength damage bonus (intentional?)

Long Bow of Marksmanship - proficiency correctly changed to Long Bow instead of Short Bow

Longtooth Dagger - ooo shiny! :D

Silver Dagger 'Werebane' - probably not going to be very useful in BG2 but what the heck...

Spider's Bane - not really a roguish item, but this was a nice weapon in BG1 so I restored it as well :)

#19 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 07:09 AM

Nevermind what I wrote about the studded leather of resistence; I mistook it for the shadowed studded leather armour.

The code for the Studded Leather of Resistance is USLTR4A.ITM and it seams to have standard leather armor restrictions i.e. anyone but a mage may use it. The Shadowed Leather +4 (USLTR5A.ITM) on the other hand is restricted to rangers and thieves only.

Sorry, I see what you meant now by conceptual mistakes. I think the descriptions you've written to replace the generic ID descriptions are fine. The Hold Fast description especially.

Do you intend to use the Studded Leather +4: Shadowed?

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 3
Special: +30% Stealth Skill
Resistance Bonus:
+20% Piercing Resistance
+20% Slashing Resistance
+20% Fire Resistance
+20% Electrical Resistance
Weight: 15
Only usable by:
Thief
Ranger

#20 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 07:11 AM

Long Sword +2: 'Varscona' - IIRC there actually *was* one of these in BG2 but you could only get it in the Elven city which made it rather obsolete

The BG1 icon for this sword was replaced with a standard magical long sword icon. Could you change it back, or is that impossible?