Bethesda Follows In BioWare's Tracks And Plans To Charge For Offic

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:34 AM

So, Bethesda follows the example set by BioWare and its premium modules, and plans to charge for officially made mods e.g. horse armour, which you aren't supposed to be able to make on your own. The content is promised to be of high quality and probably exclusive as well, LIKE: If we don't buy it, we are unable to play any of it, although this is just pure speculation. We might be able to make those same mods by ourselves in the TES editor, but it's not certain yet. Here are links to three of the main threads and a link to the original developer article where this got started:

Thread Links:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=199383&hl=official
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200127&hl=official
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=198564&hl=official

Original Article Link:
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2005/120205_oblivion_1.x

#2 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:10 PM

I wonder how they plan to do it - its obviously not going to be something you could do through the construction set otherwise people will just start redistributing it for free.

Also in the article it says that it takes place several hundred years after Morrowind, but I thought it was only a few years after (Uriel Septim is still emperor for one thing...)

*Edit* Ah I see thats covered in TES Forum threads.

Edited by Tom, 11 December 2005 - 01:11 PM.

Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#3 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

Pathetic.

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:19 AM

Seemingly the fan base doesn't like this idea at all, which is quite understandable, but from what I've seen Bethesda won't be backing up on this, at least not on the x-box live version of the mods. I find this very disturbing and very unlike Bethesda, considering that they have always listened to the fans and encouraged modding, and EULA disallows selling community mods. So. Now Bethesda plans to sell "official mods", which would be okay by me, IF they packed them into a small expansion that comes on cd, but I'm not going to pay for a bunch of hard coded extras. And even now, they don't seem to care about the fact, that many people can't buy the mods simply because they lack credit cards. And this I don't like, I'll rather download the mods via a P2P program even though it's illegal. And if they start to use Steam to distribute the mods... well, that would be plainly ridiculous. I really don't see how they are going to sell many mods while people can and will put them up on P2P networks.

#5 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:32 AM

But as far as I understand, they simply disallow commercial distribution of mods, and the situation with non-commercial ones remains the same, no? Did I misunderstand something?

(Not to mention that Morrowind *****, but never mind...)

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:54 AM

But as far as I understand, they simply disallow commercial distribution of mods, and the situation with non-commercial ones remains the same, no? Did I misunderstand something?

(Not to mention that Morrowind *****, but never mind...)

Aye, this doesn't affect the fan made mods at all, although many modders are suspicious if Beth decides to leave something out of the TES editor. My point was that charging for official mods isn't good if they have some elements that aren't possible to include in fan made mods because of the editor or hard coding on Beth's part. A good example of this is The Horse Armour Mod that Beth is going to fire up after the game comes out, it would be kinda useless to make such a mod for sale if one modder can alter it and release a free mod as good in quality as the original.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 12 December 2005 - 07:57 AM.

#7 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:48 AM

Well, it doesn't mean as much in Russia, where a CD normally costs 3-4 dollars or so... and sometimes they even have the gall to call it official... but yeah, I see how that can hurt.

#8 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

Perhaps this was in response to pressure from their publisher? I wouldn't mind that much paying for add-ons as long as its actually worth something. Horse armour though? If they're just planning on making stuff like they did for Morrowind (Adamantium armour, that extra dungeon etc) them no, I wouldn't pay for it.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#9 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:21 PM

I don't see any serious problem with it at all: Bethesda freaks may be covetous as much (or crasy as much for that matter) as they want to, but hey - isn't there all kinds of P2P for us to use? :D

Edited by Creepin, 12 December 2005 - 08:21 PM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#10 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:04 PM

Sigh. :rolleyes: This is perhaps one of the worst marketing ploys in gaming history. <_<
I can just see it now:

Released Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion!
Get your hands on the newest chapter in the critically acclaimed Elder Scrolls series! This newest release of Elder Scrolls is fully capable of supporting multiple add-ons making the potential for this game virtually UNLIMITED! :D

Just LOOK at the great official modules available for your purchase:
-Tired of wandering in a barren Tameriel wasteland devoid of all life and vegetation?
Get your hands on the scenery add-on to make the game more than a long walk in the desert.

-While you're at it make sure to pick up our towns and cities add-on since these places will add important places onto Tameriel. You don't want to miss out on this one! ;)

-Be sure to also buy our NPC add-on to add other characters into the game. Critics say it's a must-have, and we DO mean a must-have. :lol:
We also have a nice conversation add-on at a very special price when you purchase the NPC add-on. :P

-Couldn't tell who you just talked to? Get our NPC enhancement add-on, this will add long hair and skirts on female NPCs and male cross-dressers. You may also want to consider our NPC face add-on to our NPC enhancement add-on. :whistling:
Get your copy of NPC enhancement add-on now and we'll even throw in our special NPC name add-on, to make each NPC unique ABSOLUTELY FREE! (Limited time offer only.) :D

-Many of our combat-oriented player also love our monsters and creatures add-on, our advanced monsters and creatures add-on and our extreme monsters and creatures add-on. Get all three together and we'll give you our supreme monsters and creatures add-on FREE! :woot:

-With our monsters and creatures add-on you may also want to purchase our weapons and armor add-on. You don't want to go against poisonous creatures barehanded do you? No you don't. :mellow:
The weapons and armor add-on is fully compatible with our NPC add-on which means you can use them on NPCs as well, aren't we nice? ^_^
Not satisfied with normal weapons? Try our enhanced weapons and armor add-on, exotic weapons and armor add-on, enhanced exotic weapons and armor add-on. Guaranteed to bring you more enjoyment out of this game. :o

-Don't like the way your character looks like a faceless, hairless zombie? Get the PC enhancement package, female PC enhancement package, and PC face add-on. :rolleyes:
Don't forget to get our NEW PC race add-on, now you don't have to play an Imperial all the time. Though you need the NPC race recognition add-on to make the NPC add-on recognize this feature. :unsure:

Get your copy of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion today!
(And it's add-on modules. Get the add-on modules you'll need them. :devil: )

An extreme example. You see the problem with this "official module" business. (I hope) :rolleyes:

#11 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

You also forgot the game content addon which extends the main quest above and beyond character generation!

I'm almost certain they won't be things like that. It'll more be miscellaneous stuff, like the given example of horse armour.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#12 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:45 PM

You also forgot the game content addon which extends the main quest above and beyond character generation!

Neverwinter Nights never had one. :P
Since Bethesda's idea of "Official Modules" obviously came from Neverwinter Nights and its spawn, I doubt the new Elder Scrolls (should they adopt this idea) would have one either. ;)

I'm almost certain they won't be things like that. It'll more be miscellaneous stuff, like the given example of horse armour.

Of course the horse armour add-on would be on top of the horse add-on which would itself be on top of the monsters and creatures add-on. :devil:

I think you are missing my point, though. I am merely bringing to attention (albeit unsuccessfully, it seems) that the idea of making customers pay for "official add-on modules" can be too easily abused.

The difference between offical modules that introduce extra material and making customers pay for missing pieces to an incomplete game is too small for comfort. ;)

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

Neverwinter Nights never had one. :P
Since Bethesda's idea of "Official Modules" obviously came from Neverwinter Nights and its spawn, I doubt the new Elder Scrolls (should they adopt this idea) would have one either. ;)

Of course the horse armour add-on would be on top of the horse add-on which would itself be on top of the monsters and creatures add-on. :devil:

I think you are missing my point, though. I am merely bringing to attention (albeit unsuccessfully, it seems) that the idea of making customers pay for "official add-on modules" can be too easily abused.

The difference between offical modules that introduce extra material and making customers pay for missing pieces to an incomplete game is too small for comfort. ;)

Heh. Well, people aren't that dum, they'd dl the missing pieces for free via a P2P prog soon enough if that kind of an abuse went on. And besides, Beth would lose it's status as a game house that develops games which are open-ended and fully moddable and require no such things as MMPORPG style extra option packages for a verrry special price! ;)

#14 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:16 AM

Thats what I meant by "Miscellaneous things" - they haven't left anything out of the game, the add-ons will be just that, things that they can add on. I trust Bethesda, as much as you may not :P
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#15 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:11 AM

Apparently Beth is aiming to reach a bigger audience this time, simplifying things, merging skills and re-doing combat to look more like an fantasy FPS... some of the changes are much needed, I admit, but some of them make me suspicious if this game will be sucky at some things because the said things were designed to be easy to use on a xbox 360 and, and even worse, to be used by your average idiot who buys it because "it looks cool". I tell you, if Beth continues with these guidelines, the next TES game will be a fucking MMORPG. Phew. I'm done ranting for now. But reading the TES forums just brings these things to my attention... the users there have made some valid points which I can't deny, e.g. only 7 major skills now and that means some were merged. That can be a good or a bad thing... well, perhaps I'm just thinking too much now. Might be. Hope so. No TES MMORPGs in near future, no no.

#16 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

Only 7 major skills? :huh:
No worries! There's always room for a expanded skills add-on. :lol:
(OK, I'll stop now. :))

Thats what I meant by "Miscellaneous things" - they haven't left anything out of the game, the add-ons will be just that, things that they can add on. I trust Bethesda, as much as you may not :P

After Sony's little rootkit ruse, one wouldn't be wise to trust a company with anything. -_- (Definitely NOT going to get a PS3 any time soon :D )
As a general rule: any thing that can possibly be abused, will mostly likely be abused. :fish:
Though I didn't expect so many people see P2P as the great equalizer. :rolleyes:

Fortunately for the rest of us, we have intrepid Tom (who has preordered his copy) to test the water in shark tank.
I shall await his review before making my decision. :whistling:

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:34 AM

Heh heh... but hopefully they don't advertise "premium mods" on the startup screens like BioWare does... check these out (Have to switch them to using the older screens without ads):
[attachment=3062:attachment]
[attachment=3061:attachment]

#18 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

That's just lame, Bethesda would never stoop to that <_<.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#19 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:28 AM

That's just lame, Bethesda would never stoop to that <_<.

At least not with Oblivion, I'm sure. Future games? Who knows. But really, BioWare uses a very cheap tactic with NWN, imagine that they dare to put commercials in the menus! Soon the game will crash if you don't give your credit card number on entering chapter 2... :D :lol:

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:38 AM

A bit off topic but if you want to check out the interview with the interface creater of Ob, check here: http://www.elderscro...s/nsint_eng.php.