Photo

so now I've done it, too many mods --> performance probs?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:40 AM

But if you carry some containers like bags of holding or so, you should try to drop it and see if it speeds up your game.

Oh my goodness, thank you. My Game is back now. That is so unfair! The developers made a feature which could severely impact gameplay. Let me guess that there is no way around this?

I'm glad it helped you ! :)

Well, bags of holding (and other portable containers) are not really to blame. The problem is with some mods which add inventory checks in the baldur.bcs script... It means that the game needs to scan all your inventory (including bag's content) 15 times per second and per check ! Checking bag's content is really time consuming, and takes much longer if you have many objects inside, even stacked ones.

With such mods installed, the best solution is to carry only the really needed objects in your bags. Stash the others into fixed containers (boxes, chests, ...). You can fill fixed containers without any game performance hit.

Edited by Anomaly, 05 February 2006 - 05:55 AM.

French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#22 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:28 AM

With such mods installed, the best solution is to carry only the really needed objects in your bags. Stash the others into fixed containers (boxes, chests, ...). You can fill fixed containers without any game performance hit.

Yes, find a safe place to call home base. And hope nobody wrote a mod with real thieves in it. :devil:

#23 CreepingDeath

CreepingDeath
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:25 AM

Hello all - I'm having the same problem (constant pauses during game play)

I've tried biffing the override folder with no luck, I have no bags of holding and my scroll case only has 15ish scrolls in it, and the most anyone has in their inventory is Minsc with 6 items, everyone else has 0-3 - I even tried dumping all of my gear and changing maps to see if that helped, it did not.

the mods if have are as follows:

BD-Weidu
SoS
TDD
CtB
TS
DSotSC
NTotSC
SoBH
BG1NPC
eSeries (AI scripts)
Ease-of-Use (w/o chapter 1&2 faster cutscenes)
G3Tweaks (w/o map fixes)
revised world map
and the fixes for a few mods

now, the game runs smoothly up to SoBH - then it starts to stutter slightly, almost unoticable, after going back to the temple outside Beregost the game runs smoothly again. now after completing Cloakwood forest its starting to stutter enough to be really annoying, though playable - but it seems to be getting progessivly worse...

anyone have any sugestions?

EDIT: I just killed the banshee (Jet`laya mission, Dark Side) and now I'm getting half second pauses, every second or so... so yeah, its pretty much unplayable now. :(

Edited by CreepingDeath, 14 February 2006 - 07:03 AM.

#24 kharan5876

kharan5876
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

I've only noticed slowdowns in modded areas. Some of the areas in dsotsc, ntotsc, and bonehill would do this.

Can the lag at all be related to the way an area is coded? It never happened in the original bg content.

#25 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

I've only noticed slowdowns in modded areas. Some of the areas in dsotsc, ntotsc, and bonehill would do this.

Can the lag at all be related to the way an area is coded? It never happened in the original bg content.

The usual source is an NPC that is trying to initiate dialog, but the variables aren't set right. So, they keep trying, but never spit it out. Eityher that, or some sort of other scripting loop in an NPC (party member) script.

#26 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:34 AM

I encountered a lag problem while playing BG1 part of the game, but it was only in some few areas (those around Gnoll Stronghold if I remember right).

The problem was solved by disabling Ambient Sounds while playing in those areas.

#27 CreepingDeath

CreepingDeath
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:15 AM

well, I've tried pretty much everything, its still unplayable. even when its just my party on the screen with nothing else goin on, it stutters so badly that i can barely move. i've no idea what to do, other than uninstall bgt and all these mods and just play pure BG1 and import my character to BG2 when the time comes. I'd honestly rather not go that route though, as I've played an beaten Baldur's Gate so many times that playin without these mods is just something I'd rather not do, having one continuous game has made it a new experience for me, but oh well i suppose.

Allrighty, I guess I'll go play Icewind Dale till i figure out what to do.

#28 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

Did you try to BIFF the DS/NTotSC and SoBH data?
If not, please search the SoBH forum for Horred's biffing script. DS/NT script is in your game folder, readme.txt tells when it should be run.

#29 CreepingDeath

CreepingDeath
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:59 AM

yes, i used the NTotSC biff after installing DS, NT and BG1NPC, and i used the SoBH biff that Horred (?) posted elsewhere. that was done before i even started playing, as part of the instalation process.

#30 1halfelf

1halfelf
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:54 PM

OK... dumb question here.. I biff'ed my override directory and truly it did speed things up, but now I've broken the transition out of Candlekeep. I suspect this is because something either went wrong during the biff process (My override directectory had over 1GB of data and WEIDU gave me several "unknown resource extension" messages.) or the resulting biff file is just too big. How do I restore things the way they were?

Thanks,

1halfelf :blink:

#31 UnholyAngel

UnholyAngel
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:26 AM

scripts are often to blame for lag; either a script block that keeps firing, conditions never satisfied. Or too many checks. Or too much crap. Has anybody besides me takn a good look at baldur.bcs, with many mods installed? I manually rearranged mine; I was experiencing periodic lag on a mid-high end PC, until I did.

Horred or anyone else, who knows what he is talking about, would you mind sharing some advise about how to rearrange baldur.bcs?

#32 Torvald

Torvald
  • Validating
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:13 AM

Another simple way to speed up your game is to simply turn off or deactivate your anti-virus program. By not having it check every file while you're playing BG2, it should considerably improve the processing speed of your PC.

HOWEVER - Before turning off your anti-virus program, you really should do two things first to ensure it will be safe:

(1) run a complete manual virus scan of your harddrive, and

(2) physically unplug your LAN or modem cabe to make sure your PC doesn't "accidentally" connect to the Internet and invite in viruses while you're playing BG2.

Edited by Torvald, 24 March 2006 - 10:14 AM.

"My wife says I have the body of a God - Buddha!"

#33 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

There isn't anyway to easily "unbiff" the files. You can use Weidu to do it I guess but it may actually be easier to just rebuild your game again. Not everything in the override folder needs to be biffed.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#34 -pro5-

-pro5-

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:19 AM

scripts are often to blame for lag; either a script block that keeps firing, conditions never satisfied. Or too many checks. Or too much crap. Has anybody besides me takn a good look at baldur.bcs, with many mods installed? I manually rearranged mine; I was experiencing periodic lag on a mid-high end PC, until I did.

Horred or anyone else, who knows what he is talking about, would you mind sharing some advise about how to rearrange baldur.bcs?

After you're done with your (probably) long installation procedure, your BALDUR.BCS will contain many scripts and checks that you're not going to need until you reach the transition to BG2 part of BGT. For example, it has checks for each of your party members having BG2-specific items equipped or checks for BG2-specific quests and so on... All these scripts are firing continiuously, many times per second, and, of course, it's slowing the game down considerably, especially if you don't have high-end pc.

I myself backup the original file, then edit out everything that I'm not going to need in BG1 part of the game. Suffice to say, the size of the original BALDUR.BCS in my current installation was ~340 kb, and after I tampered with it to remove all bg2 stuff, it is 100 kb.

As to how to rearrange it, you have to understand the basics of scripting at least... :whistling:
Use weidu.exe to create BALDUR.BAF from the .BCS file,
then use any text editor (windows notepad will do) to modify it
after you're done use weidu again to create new BCS from modified BAF file, and put it into your override folder

don't forget to backup original BCS and restore it upon reaching BG2 transistion.

If you experience slowdown when already in BG2, you may want to remove some checks you're not going to need in any case (for example, if you're sure no one in your party is ever going to wield Lilarcor, you may safely remove checks for every party member having it... :) )

#35 -pro5-

-pro5-

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:20 AM

After you're done with your (probably) long installation procedure, your BALDUR.BCS will contain many scripts and checks that you're not going to need until you reach the transition to BG2 part of BGT. For example, it has checks for each of your party members having BG2-specific items equipped or checks for BG2-specific quests and so on... All these scripts are firing continiuously, many times per second, and, of course, it's slowing the game down considerably, especially if you don't have high-end pc.

I myself backup the original file, then edit out everything that I'm not going to need in BG1 part of the game. Suffice to say, the size of the original BALDUR.BCS in my current installation was ~340 kb, and after I tampered with it to remove all bg2 stuff, it is 100 kb.

As to how to rearrange it, you have to understand the basics of scripting at least... :whistling:
Use weidu.exe to create BALDUR.BAF from the .BCS file,
then use any text editor (windows notepad will do) to modify it
after you're done use weidu again to create new BCS from modified BAF file, and put it into your override folder

don't forget to backup original BCS and restore it upon reaching BG2 transistion.

If you experience slowdown when already in BG2, you may want to remove some checks you're not going to need in any case (for example, if you're sure no one in your party is ever going to wield Lilarcor, you may safely remove checks for every party member having it... :) )

#36 Project Nemesis

Project Nemesis
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

But if you carry some containers like bags of holding or so, you should try to drop it and see if it speeds up your game.

Oh my goodness, thank you. My Game is back now. That is so unfair! The developers made a feature which could severely impact gameplay. Let me guess that there is no way around this?

I'm glad it helped you ! :)

Well, bags of holding (and other portable containers) are not really to blame. The problem is with some mods which add inventory checks in the baldur.bcs script... It means that the game needs to scan all your inventory (including bag's content) 15 times per second and per check ! Checking bag's content is really time consuming, and takes much longer if you have many objects inside, even stacked ones.

Which mods add these inventory checks? And is there any way to remove them (the checks that is)?

#37 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:49 AM

Which mods add these inventory checks? And is there any way to remove them (the checks that is)?

I don't know which mods exactly do that. I have seen that with a Big Picture-classic installation : TDD, SOS, TS and of course BP. I suspect SOS and/or TDD, but I cannot be sure.

You can of course remove these checks by editing directly baldur.bcs with Near Infinity or another editing tool. You will need to understand at least some basic concept of scripting to do that. :)
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#38 Project Nemesis

Project Nemesis
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

I don't know which mods exactly do that. I have seen that with a Big Picture-classic installation : TDD, SOS, TS and of course BP. I suspect SOS and/or TDD, but I cannot be sure.

You can of course remove these checks by editing directly baldur.bcs with Near Infinity or another editing tool. You will need to understand at least some basic concept of scripting to do that. :)

That's the problem. I have no scripting experience. :P

I can open it up just fine. I just don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

What exactly do these checks do? Are they really needed? And if not, why include them in?

Also, back before Weidu, I had installed TDD and had no stuttering so it might not be that mod.

#39 Misentry

Misentry
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:03 AM

:Bow: I had perfomance problems until I found this thread, my poor perfomance was caused by bottomless bag of holding. It had ~1k arrows etc in it