Photo

Nameless NPC (Weidu)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Karkadinn

Karkadinn
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:49 PM

Right, so I'm using Weidu to create an npc and stick him on a map... everything installs (and uninstalls) correctly, etc. Except, when the cursor hovers over him for long enough or I press tab, nothing shows up. It's also like that when I recruit him and tab on his portrait. Nameless. I did put the NAME1 and NAME2 lines into the tp2 after the COPY CRE line, which I thought was supposed to take care of it, but no workie. Did I type the line wrong? Is something wrong with the cre itself? Is there something else necessary to do that I'm missing here?

#2 Blucher

Blucher
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:04 PM

Paste that portion of the .tp2 here. Maybe something will show itself.

#3 Karkadinn

Karkadinn
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:40 PM

*Paste that portion of the .tp2 here. Maybe something will show itself. *

Your wish is my command, master.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BACKUP ~Peerso\backup~
AUTHOR ~Stephen Mackey, karkadinn@aol.com~
BEGIN ~Peerso NPC Mod~

COPY ~Peerso\Peerso.cre~ ~override\Peerso.cre~

SAY NAME1 ~Peerso~
SAY NAME2 ~Peerso~
SAY BIO ~I'll fill this in later, okay?~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#4 Blucher

Blucher
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:46 PM

Um...looks fine to me. :) Though, I never leave a space inbetween the lines of the COPY and the SAYing (very much doubt that would matter, though).

Is the creature file read-only??

#5 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:21 PM

Are you installing with a Setup-blah.exe or are you doing weidu blah.tp2?

If it's the latter, I bet you're not doing --tlkout. But you should use Setup-Blah.exe anyway because then you can roll back your changes with uninstall.

Check that your dialog.tlk isn't write-protected, too, if that's not what you're doing.

#6 Karkadinn

Karkadinn
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:48 PM

The CRE file is not read only. Nor is dialog.tlk (assuming that's what was meant by "write-protected"...).
I'm using SetupPeerso.exe, and yes, I have grown to love the uninstall feature. ;) I must have installed and uninstalled this bastard half-baked mod a dozen times over working through the various bugs one at a time....

#7 Blucher

Blucher
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 11:46 PM

I'm stumped. Try emailing (after .zipping) all of the files to me? I can check 'em out if you want. No need to include the .exe; just include the .tp2 and the mod directory.

#8 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 02:07 AM

If you don´t see the text and everything is okay with your installation then there´s one reason left:

The CRE in the game is not the CRE (or not that version of the CRE) you´ve installed.

Once you´ve met a CRE in the game (are on the same area) the CRE is stored in your save game (better: that area is stored with all its creatures is stored in your save game). If you reinstall your NPC it does not influence the NPC in your save game.

#9 Karkadinn

Karkadinn
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 03:29 AM

*If you don´t see the text and everything is okay with your installation then there´s one reason left:

The CRE in the game is not the CRE (or not that version of the CRE) you´ve installed.

Once you´ve met a CRE in the game (are on the same area) the CRE is stored in your save game (better: that area is stored with all its creatures is stored in your save game). If you reinstall your NPC it does not influence the NPC in your save game. *

Hnn. That would appear to be the problem, then. Time to start a new game... thank God for Dungeon Be Gone!

#10 Blucher

Blucher
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 04:53 AM

Or use NI to delete the are/cre information from the saved game. Not something you'd want to do normally, but for testing it can save a heck of a lot of time. If you just want to check the strings and stuff, ^Y the old cre and CLUAConsole:CreateCreature() a new one.

#11 Karkadinn

Karkadinn
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 08:25 PM

Alrighty. I uninstalled the mod, installed it again, for good measure. Then I started a new single player game, new Charname and everything. I Dungeon Be Gone Myself out of the first dungeon, trot over to the npc...
still no name.
I tried Ctrl-Ying him and then using CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("Peerso.cre"), and it says the file does not exist, despite the fact that it's in both the "Peerso" subfolder and the override folder.

#12 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 01 March 2003 - 08:37 PM

Don't put the .cre extension in that CLUA line.

#13 Karkadinn

Karkadinn
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 09:45 PM

Hnn. Well, Ghreyfain's advice lets me make the npc... still nameless however. :)

#14 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 01 March 2003 - 10:20 PM

See if that string is being added to the end of your .tlk file at all. (Use NI.) Also use NI to look at the string value being assigned to those name slots once the CRE is installed.

#15 Blucher

Blucher
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 10:41 PM

You're just cursed Karky. The files you sent to me work fine. He had his name. I talked to him and played his game. I let him join. I checked out his items. Looks good here.

I suggest clearing the info in your motherboard bios and formatting your hard drives. (Just kidding!) ;-)

Honestly, I don't have a clue as to why it's not working for you. Sorry.

#16 Karkadinn

Karkadinn
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 10:58 PM

I browsed through the dialog.tlk file, and everything seems to be in order... his name is in one of the strings near the end, as it should be. Hmmph. Guess I'll just have to make sure I've saved everything and make use of my clean backup of the .tlk file. And if that doesn't work, a complete reinstall. @_@ Whee. I'm glad I keep my main "mods in progress" folder AWAY from the game folder. Heh.
On the bright side, I'm glad I understand the basics well enough to make something that for OTHER people, at least. And it's nice to be stumped by a problem that confuses EVERYONE, not just me. Does something for the ego, ya know.
::smirk::

Oh, and Mistah Blucher?

*I suggest clearing the info in your motherboard bios and formatting your hard drives. (Just kidding!) ;-)*

::witchy voice::
I'll be dealing with YOU later, my dear. And your little dog, too!
(I really should defragment sometime this week, though...)

#17 Topaz

Topaz
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 03:13 AM

Hehe I've encountered this problem 3 times already, with weidu installs, IEEP iaps, and NI dialog.tlk editing. And just recently i found it out. Names not appearing have a tlk entry flagged with unknowns or no message data(0). Change the flag to standard message(3). That worked for me.

On a related note, the weidu v117 automated description command always gives a tp2 with stuff like NAME ~blah~ and NAME 2 ~blahblah~ However when running setup-mod.app weidu does not know what NAME means. That should be NAME1 of course, but somehow --automate gives NAME.
Multiple deliria are a rarity, remember?

#18 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 05 May 2003 - 07:56 AM

That's why you should upgrade to WeiDU 119.