Photo

Are you still playing Icewind Dale series?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Still game? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Still a player?

1. Yes (62 votes [77.50%])

Percentage of vote: 77.50%

2. No (18 votes [22.50%])

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:46 AM

I don't agree with you there Domi. Both KotORs, the Fallouts and Bloodlines did not have a large amount of fedex. As I recall, fedex are typical for the more actionpacked RPGs: NWN, IWD and so on, which may be the reason why I don't like those titles.

I only played KOTOR1 from all these listed, and it is an enjoyable game, but really, very linear. IIRC only NPCs sidequests are actually optional. Taris is about as boring as any other game's prologue with running around gathering items for quest givers; some of the planets are excrutiatingly fed-exy (*cough* Tatooine *cough*)

#42 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:16 AM

I agree with the quest counter idea. It is much better than a timer. Basically the idea is to make it impossible to solve all quests in one setup. As for sidequest: Arcanum did not have that many sidequests, but the real world feeling of encountering stuff by simply heading in one direction was a quantum leap from the shopping list approach.

Also there should be downsides to accepting quests. I liked the approach ToEE took as stuff you did for Hommlet make someogf the people in Nulb like you less. Imagine you promised to save Nalia's keep then have a good nights sleep and some nice company. Lets say there was a quest counter and you did much of the other stuff. After a couple of weeks or days skulking about in Athkatla you meet an enraged Nalia again. This time the blame is on everybody, your party included. Sadly BG2 doesn't have an evil path so the example for the opposite isn't possible,but you get my idea.
In Fallout you could do a lot of things the way you wanted to, but every action (Perhaps apart from that thing you did with the goat and nobody was watching. 'Turn around Sulik! I am having a private moment here.') had a reaction of sorts. I would like more of that.

Now some actions should endear you more to questgivers than others. In this respect tying it to quests might be a lot nicer than alignment which is mostly hard to play anyway. Don't think duality. Think you win a big fight against a bad guy and everybody knows it. This heightens your chance to be approached for the next brawling project, but lessens it perhaps for a diplomatic or sneaky quest.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#43 -domi_ash-

-domi_ash-

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:25 AM

Oh, I agree you need to get a reaction from the major quest-givers, not just positive - ie you've done it, tha's the reward, but also negative - much help you had been (if you failed to carry it out or showed up too late)

But I have to say that additional levels of complexity (ie solved a quest in sneaky way, so now you might see 2 or three more quests in the same vein, but if you broke the main doors down and killed everyone to solve it, you're going to get the "buldoze it down for us" assignments) freak me out as a modder, because it doubles the content even if you have artwork in place. Plus, it sorts of narrow down your options a bit (unless, of course you have a few cycles like that, and your refusal to do the second or thir shneaky quest triggers the choice again). It's sort of cool, yep, but lotsa planning to set-up to be fool-proof.

#44 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

I like the factions idea myself, too. It stands to reason that helping one person may tick someone else off.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#45 -domi_ash-

-domi_ash-

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

IWD2 is definetly a go for factions. In fact, it feels as if it was all set-up as 'take your side' game, but working for other factions was cut off. There are definetly at least 2 distinctive ones: Chimera and Humans, and if needed, Aurelites + their direct allies (Andorra) can be made into a third.

#46 glancer

glancer
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:36 AM

i am right about to start. well for the second time. ^^

#47 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:34 AM

Domi/Ashara's IWD2 Project is bringing me back. I hated the fact that there isn't any NPC interaction, so I lost interest the first time. Now, I'm trying it again.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#48 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:21 AM

I've tried to play IWD1 several weeks ago. Completed first large dungeon. Lost interest, since it's TOO boring. If I wish to kill I'd better be playing Diablo then.
About IWD2 - have it's image on my drive but haven't tried yet. It's not Fallout (which I play from time to time) where 3E was stolen from. 3E really, really sucks and was to be shot down at birth with it's authors along.

Edited by GeN1e, 29 December 2006 - 06:23 AM.

Retired from modding.

#49 sirthaddeus

sirthaddeus

ale drinking highwayman

• 78 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:29 AM

I just bought and played the IWD series earlier this year.

Its something different. I always loved BG1 but never go into BG2 (long story on why)!

IWD 1 was a nice game. Great graphics, beautiful music, and decent story. The NPC interaction would of been something that took it to the next level. I have played a bit with IWD2 and am looking forward to Domi's IWD2 NPC project to boost the game. I should play IWD2 all the way thru before playing her mod, but oh well.

I am also about to start a BG1 game over with a number of mods via Tutu.

But yes I am still playing it, even tho I just started for the first time this year, LOL.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#50 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

Just starting to play IWD2 (HoF mode anyway)!

IWD1 had some great battles, and awesome music!
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#51 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

I will play Icewind Dale once in a great while. Its a good game and still is one of my favorites.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#52 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

I'm on my third/fourth run through but I've just hit a game-breaking problem :( (It's in another topic).

-Y-

#53 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

Once I wrap up the spiffy new IWD Tweak Pack, I'm going to actually try to play and finish IWD and IWD2.

Yovaneth, if you figger out what's breaking, let me know--the new version is going to have an expanded 'fix' component.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#54 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:43 PM

Once I wrap up the spiffy new IWD Tweak Pack, I'm going to actually try to play and finish IWD and IWD2.

Yovaneth, if you figger out what's breaking, let me know--the new version is going to have an expanded 'fix' component.

Will do. I'm trying to find the script that actually places Lysan but it's proving to be a bit of sod to find.

Sorry to all for this being out-of topic.

-Y-

#55 DS Divine

DS Divine
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

I have plans to play BGII and IWDII in near future.
Actually, I have about ten games to play and replay and four more im going to order soon. I haven't finished IWDII, so this is where I start.

#56 -Roboghost-

-Roboghost-

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

I've play IWD1 too many times, so I downloaded Near Infinity and just modded the heck out of the game:

1. Created and added new custom items
2. Added items not in the game, but should be (an example is the Stomper's Boots)
3. Removed most random items and spread them throughout the game...

The fun part is coming up with the custom items - an example is some armor I made called Bombardier Full Plate +2. I can wade through the fart beetles now without worry :rolleyes:

#57 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

HELLS YES I AM!

...I'd be playing it even MORE often if my stupid computer didnt keep messing it up...
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#58 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:15 AM

I just finished playing HoF mode from the very beginning. It was fun, but got tedious at points.

I'll play again in the future now that there is an NPC project out there.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#59 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

Not as much as the Baldur's Gate series, but I still do from time to time.
Just started a new IWD2 with Domi's NPCs... Can't wait for that Jaemal romance to kick in!! :wub:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#60 Nuuskamuikkunen

Nuuskamuikkunen
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

I will definitely complete both games sometime. I've got through BG1 and half of BG2 with one character, so I've overcome my inherent chronic rerolling disease which prevents me from finishing games ever (although with IWD, it's more getting bored by the constant fighting :P But I did get pretty far last time in IWD1!)