Photo

Compiling with WeiDU

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 08:14 AM

How Do I Complie with Weidu? I Have WeiDU In my C: Drive and I bring up a Dos Shell and type What?? The file that Im' trying to change is myfile.d Please somone help me

#2 Kylindra

Kylindra
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 08:56 AM

WeiDU myfile.d -tlkout

#3 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 04 August 2002 - 12:44 PM

I put weidu.exe in my main BG2 directory. Yes, you use your DOS shell, CD into the directory, whatever that happens to be called.

For basic dialogue compile, I'd do

weidu myfile.d --out override --tlkout dialog.tlk

--out tells WeiDU where to put the files it creates

--tlkout tells WeiDU where to put new strings. You can make a differently-named dialog.tlk file (dialogtest.tlk, etc.) but then you'd have to rename it before it would work in-game. You should back up your dialog.tlk file, at least, before you begin, however. Backing up your basic TOB patched override dir is also an excellent idea.

#4 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 01:56 PM

For Me I had to use:

cd \
cd \Weidu
weidu myfile.d

I allredy made the char and converted to creature. Now I Need Help on how to assign the script/dialoge and do the 2da files. When I complied myfile It made 2 Dialogue things. MyfileP.dlg and MyFild.dlg Thanks

#5 Kylindra

Kylindra
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 04:10 PM

In a .tp2 file

APPEND ~2da file name~

~put datat to be included~

For assignment, I reccommend NI cre editor

#6 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 10:27 PM

In a .tp2 file

APPEND ~2da file name~

Wtf? You lost me at .tp2. I'm new to this and once I Learn how to make a basic npc I'm going to right a STEP-BY-STEP Guide for all the newbies out there like me. It will be full detail(I Cant tell you how much trouble i went through to get the Dos Shell Complieing) Why dont people not assume the readers know what there talking about? I Mean If they woulda said
Example on a perfect guide

NOTE :SPACE means hit your space bar not type space

Add the Weidu folder to your C: Drive then:
1)Open Dos Shell by[Start\Run] Type "Command"
2) Type SPACE cd SPACE\
3) Type SPACE cd SPACE\Weidu
4) Type SPACE weidu (File Here)

See how simple that is to follow? Thats what you people should do on walkthroughs so people like me dont get frustrated. :angry:

#7 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 11:26 PM

In a .tp2 file

APPEND ~2da file name~

Wtf? You lost me at .tp2. I'm new to this and once I Learn how to make a basic npc I'm going to right a STEP-BY-STEP Guide for all the newbies out there like me. It will be full detail(I Cant tell you how much trouble i went through to get the Dos Shell Complieing) Why dont people not assume the readers know what there talking about? I Mean If they woulda said
Example on a perfect guide

NOTE :SPACE means hit your space bar not type space

Add the Weidu folder to your C: Drive then:
1)Open Dos Shell by[Start\Run] Type "Command"
2) Type SPACE cd SPACE\
3) Type SPACE cd SPACE\Weidu
4) Type SPACE weidu (File Here)

See how simple that is to follow? Thats what you people should do on walkthroughs so people like me dont get frustrated. :angry:

Yikes!!! ;_;

Try to calm down, sir! *salute!* ^_^

And... umm... sorry, but that's a less than perfect example. :D

PS. Don't snap at my sis
Is kitty :)

#8 Kylindra

Kylindra
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 12:47 AM

*blink* You know this is implied and calm down.

Also it should be
cd \weidu
weidu (my file), but whatever works for youi

A .tp2 file is a notepad text file saved with the extension .tp2 ("myfile.tp2")
that contains installation commands for WeiDU to run when it is named setup-myfile.exe.

NI stands for NearInfinity, a editor for the Infinity Engine

#9 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:54 AM

Lol no harm against you guys.(I was aggravated at 3 a.m. in the morning)
Yeah your right I could just type( cd \weidu and not waste time)
Annywho, I am following a guide right now. I have NI and WeidU. They dont explain how to assign scripts with Ni they assume once again. Here take a look:

-------------------------------
* Section II: Making the .CRE *
-------------------------------

This is an easy step. Simply start a multi-player game of BG2 (no need to get onto
the internet, just a LAN game with one player in it is fine), and create a
character.

>>>>(Ok I Can Do That)

Give him whatever XP, hit points, equipment, and stats you want, then export him.>>>>(Check)

Make any last minute changes to his .chr with Shadow Keeper if you like, and then
open up NearInfinity. Load the .chr file you exported and convert it to .cre.
>>>>(Check, Easy)

****START ASSUMAGE****
Once it's in .cre format, you can assign it it's Death Variable, Dialogue file,
Scripts (if any), and Name. This is all fairly simple, so I don't think I need to
explai any futher. Save it and that's that.
****END ASSUMAGE****

>>>Ok I See Death Variable And a buncha other crap, Where can I assign Dialoge?

#10 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 08:27 AM

****START ASSUMAGE****
Once it's in .cre format, you can assign it it's Death Variable, Dialogue file,
Scripts (if any), and Name.  This is all fairly simple, so I don't think I need to
explai any futher.  Save it and that's that.
****END ASSUMAGE****

>>>Ok I See Death Variable And a buncha other crap, Where can I assign Dialoge?

NI might come with docs. I don't know, I've never looked. Anyway, here's how it works:

(1) Copy all of your new (J#Vondo) DLG files to the override folder of your BG2 game. Make sure that your CRE and BCS files are in the override directory also.
(2) Now start Near Infinity.
(3) Go to the "override" section.
(4) Search for your CRE (J#VONDO.CRE).
(5) Scroll way down in the CRE (scrollbar on the far right) to where it says stuff like:

# effects	0	
Dialog	None	
Spell memorization info	Spell level: 0,# spells memorizable: 1,# spells memorizable?: 1,Type: Priest (0),

Clik on the "None" to the right of dialog. Below you will get a scrolling selection with all of the DLGs in the game. Pick yours (J#VONDO) and click on update value. Apply the same method for changing the script and whatnot of your CRE. Be sure to save your CRE when you've made these changes.

Now, to answer your other question about "assumptions". To put it bluntly, modding BG2 is not "easy" and all of the tools out there (even the friendly ones from TeamBG) assume a certainly level of background knowledge. In mathematics courses, this is often called "mathematical maturity". Your questsions like "how do I open a dos prompt" and "how do I use near infinity" are not actually *directly* related to infinity engine scripting or using WeiDU. Many of us here consider them "essential background material" that we assume you already know. Why do we assume that? Because more or less everyone else trying to do these things does know them. To make an analogy that won't be helpful to you, this is similar to going into a math class on the analysis of functions of one real variable and asking why everyone assumes that you know how to graph a function ... or going into a computer science class on data structures and algorithms and asking why everyone assumes you know recursion. To some degree these things are "implicit prerequisites". It is fine to feel frustrated, but do not take it out on us. From their perspectives, the people who are helping you out here are being kind and generous by helping you with something that you "should know already". Remember that we are not in any way obligated to elucidate all of the steps for you or even make these tools useable or useful for any particular purpose.

That being said, I do hope that you are able to work your way through everything and I look forward to seeing your eventual createions. Let us know if you run into more difficulties.

#11 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 05 August 2002 - 08:43 AM

NI might come with docs. I don't know, I've never looked.

Not really, no.

(4) Search for your CRE (J#VONDO.CRE).
(5) Scroll way down in the CRE (scrollbar on the far right) to where it says stuff like:

It's implied in what you said but I think all things considered it should be spelled out: Almost always, NI requires that a file EXISTS before you can assign it as a resource for another file. This means you'll need to compile whatever .DLG you plan to assign (or make up a short dummy file by renaming something) and have it in override BEFORE you try assigning it to the CRE.

NI's author does this, I believe he has said, in part out of convenience in his code but he also believes it helps keep people from making stupid (typo) errors. Unfortunately, it makes the order you do things in a little rigid, so if this "feature" of NI bothers any of you, a polite e-mail to Jon might be in order.

#12 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Weimer! Ok I Put
J#VondoP.dlg
J#Vondo.dlg
J#Vondo.CRE
(Thats all the files I got do i need more and how?)
Into the override. Loaded NI And assigned the Cre J#Vondo.dlg.

Now I can create J#Vondo When I talk to him Its Blank and I press 1 and he joins. All the rest of the Dialoge Works. I must have messed sumthening up heres my dia.

BEGIN J#Vondo

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN FirstMeeting
SAY ~Greetings good ! My name is Vondo the Just.~
IF ~GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN REPLY ~Hey Vondo, you seen Irenicus around here?~ GOTO InquireIrenicus
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Heya.~ GOTO Greet
IF ~Class(Player1,PALADIN)~ THEN REPLY ~I know a paladin when I see one!~ GOTO BothPaladins
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Go away.~ GOTO GoAway
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN InquireIrenicus
SAY ~Nope, but I can help you look for him. I'm a paladin!~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Sure. Join the party~ DO ~SetGlobal("VondoJoined","LOCALS",1)
JoinParty()~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Nah, go away.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Greet
SAY ~So, you need a paladin in your group?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes, as a matter of fact we do.~ DO ~SetGlobal("VondoJoined","LOCALS",1)
JoinParty()~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN BothPaladins
SAY ~Another paladin! Hail and well met brother. Let us journey together and smite evil.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Sounds like a plan.~ DO ~SetGlobal("VondoJoined","LOCALS",1)
JoinParty()~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN GoAway
SAY ~Very well my , I will await the day when you return, so that we might smite evil!~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

BEGIN J#VondoP

IF ~Global("VondoJoined","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BEGIN KickOut
SAY ~You are now kicking me out.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Oops, I meant to boot that twit Anomen, not you. Sorry~ DO ~JoinParty()~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~That's right, I don't want you in the party.~ DO ~SetGlobal("VondoJoined","LOCALS",0)~ EXIT
END

IF ~Global("VondoJoined","LOCALS",0)~ THEN BEGIN Rejoin
SAY ~You want me to rejoin?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~That's right Vondo, get back in formation.~ DO ~SetGlobal("VondoJoined","LOCALS",1)
JoinParty()~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~That's right, I don't want you in the party.~ EXIT
END

What did I do wronge

#13 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 01:59 PM

Now I can create J#Vondo When I talk to him Its Blank and I press 1 and he joins. All the rest of the Dialoge Works. I must have messed sumthening up heres my dia.

What did I do wronge

You forgot to save the new dialog.tlk file.

Your old weidu command was something like:

C:\weidu> weidu myfile.d

Instead, you need to say:

C:\weidu> weidu myfile.d --tlkout dialog.tlk

And then copy that new dialog.tlk file *over* the one in your BGII folder. To save this copying step, most people either write TP2 files or run WeiDU from their main BGII folder.

This new dialog.tlk file will have your new vondo strings, so when you re-run the game you won't see "blankness" in the dialogue.

Try it and let us know.

#14 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 02:36 PM

So I should have:
J#Vondo.DLG
J#VondoP.DLG
J#Vondo.CRE
aaaaannnnd
I see that it made dialog.tlk I see if this fixes it

EDIT: I added Dialog.tlk to overide and I loaded up BG2 and Created creature J#Vondo, Talk to him and its still blank

I See that Im supposed to add it to the BG2 folder, not the Overide, thats why

#15 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 03:05 PM

So I should have:
J#Vondo.DLG
J#VondoP.DLG
J#Vondo.CRE
aaaaannnnd
I see that it made dialog.tlk I see if this fixes it

EDIT: I added Dialog.tlk to overide and I loaded up BG2 and Created creature J#Vondo, Talk to him and its still blank

I See that Im supposed to add it to the BG2 folder, not the Overide, thats why

Yes, your new dialog.tlk file should go in the "base BG2" folder.

Did that fix your problem? Do you see your new Vondo dialogue?

#16 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 03:13 PM

Kool It Works, I got a full worken Npc. Thanks Weimer! a few more questions......

1) How did you get Valen Sounds? She says "You are foolish to face my mistress" and that other stuff. I'm guessing it was allredy in the game.

2)If I wanna Add Weidu to my Bg 2 Folder How to I get into it with a Dos Shell? If I Type:

cd \Program Files it says to many parameters - Files

cd \Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\Weidu it says too many parameters Files\Black

#17 Kiki

Kiki

Philosopher Queen in training

• 499 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 03:24 PM

If you want to move files around, it's probably easiest with something like Windows Explorer.

DOS basically only recognizes 8 letters in filenames--that's why you can't just do cd program files. Try cd progra~1. To see exactly how DOS interprets your filenames, type dir /p, which will bring up a list of files in your current directory.
Placetne, magistra?

#18 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 03:29 PM

cd \progra~1 sure enuf works and now I'm in Program Files, Now what to get into Black Isle Then BGII - SOA. Thanks for your help

EDIT: dir\p( dir \p does the same thing) doesnt work it says:
Volume in Drive C has no label
Volume Serial number is BLEEP
Directory of C:\
File not found

343252345 blah bah MB free

#19 Kiki

Kiki

Philosopher Queen in training

• 499 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 03:42 PM

Not "dir\p"--use "dir /p" (with the forward slash). You can just type "dir" but if you add the /p then it pauses the scrolling so you can actually read the names of the files.

To get to subdirectories, do the same thing as you did for Program Files--figure out how DOS truncates or otherwise interprets the directory name. DOS doesn't understand directory names with spaces, so a safe bet is to mash together the first six letters in the directory name (not counting the spaces) and add "~1". If you want to be completely sure about the filename, do the dir thing.

From where you are now, you can type cd blacki~1\bgii-soa and get to your desired directory.
Placetne, magistra?

#20 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 03:44 PM

Oh there we go. Hey Thanks a Mill