Photo

What alignment do you play

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Character Alignment (50 member(s) have cast votes)

What alignment PC do you normally or most commonly play?

1. Lawful Good (13 votes [26.00%])

Percentage of vote: 26.00%

2. Lawful Neutral (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Lawful Evil (2 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

4. Neutral Good (8 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

5. True Neutral (3 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

6. Neutral Evil (2 votes [4.00%])

7. Chaotic Good (15 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

8. Chaotic Neutral (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

9. Chaotic Evil (1 votes [2.00%])

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

10. Hey, man, I just lurk here... (1 votes [2.00%])

Second most common, if applicable?

1. Lawful Good (2 votes [4.00%])

2. Lawful Neutral (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Lawful Evil (1 votes [2.00%])

4. Neutral Good (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

5. True Neutral (4 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

6. Neutral Evil (2 votes [4.00%])

7. Chaotic Good (12 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

8. Chaotic Neutral (4 votes [8.00%])

9. Chaotic Evil (2 votes [4.00%])

10. Multiple alignments are scary! *quiver* (4 votes [8.00%])

Third most common, if applicable?

1. Lawful Good (7 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

2. Lawful Neutral (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Lawful Evil (2 votes [4.00%])

4. Neutral Good (10 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. True Neutral (6 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

6. Neutral Evil (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Chaotic Good (6 votes [12.00%])

8. Chaotic Neutral (6 votes [12.00%])

9. Chaotic Evil (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Waaay too many alignments for me. *hides* (13 votes [26.00%])

Percentage of vote: 26.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:00 PM

I'm mainly interested because I want to get a sense of the relative popularity of different alignments (something to take into consideration when writing Arkalian dialogue responses), and to assemble a list of people I can bug later for pointers in writing dialogue options for alignments I don't have much experience with or find very intuitive *cough*CN*cough*

I was surprised that nothing like this had been done before, or if it had, it didn't come up in any of my searches... *ponders*

[EDIT]This would have gone in the Arkalian forum, if there, you know, was one. x.x I'll have it moved eventually, when I reach the point where it makes sense to have one.

Edited by Azzathoth, 27 February 2006 - 10:02 PM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#2 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:01 AM

I've played almost any alignment, so a bit hard to fill in ;) But I'll fill in the first few I make...

Edited by Deathsangel, 28 February 2006 - 12:01 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#3 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:03 AM

Chaotic Good.
Why?
Because evil isn't cool and the law isn't cool either. Neutral is like saying "This has nothing to do with me".

Well, that's all folks :).
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#4 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:39 AM

Evil just doesn't make for a good story. In books, we follow the heroes, because they have more of a burden to carry, which makes their final victory much sweeter.

I play evil at least once in each game with alignment choices, but more often I play good. Anyway, my choices:

1st - Neutral Good: You don't have to screw the law and you don't have to be too much of the strict paladin-type-of-person. I never like alignments, and Neutral Good feels most free for me.

2nd - Chaotic Good: If I don't play NG, I'd rather get to screw order and go for raging anarchism!

3rd - Lawful Good: When righteous butt-kicking is to be dealt! (Which means because there's no other option if I wan't to play a paladin, which I often do).
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#5 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:24 AM

I tend to play Good characters.  LG is probably the most common, since I like monks and paladins.

#6 Little Dragon

Little Dragon

Die Gedanken sind frei

• 131 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:29 AM

Since I like playing multi-classes thieves 'Lawful' isn't really an option,

1. Chaotic Good: since authorities in the gaming world seem even worse than the ones in real life, following laws just doesn't make sense.

2. True Neutral: gives you the chance to choose the evil path once in a while without being 'bound' to it.

3. Neutral Good: can't be an anarchist all the time.
"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22"
Joseph Heller, Catch-22 (1955)

#7 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:43 AM

I tend to play good characters, since the game (unfortunately) isn't developed for an evil party - at least not in the same sense.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#8 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:47 AM

Thanks, people.

Hmm. In retrospect, a three-question thing was a kinda dumb way to do this, but the good alignments and true neutral seem to be the most popular. True Neutral and Lawful PCs oughta make for some interesting arguments/debates... ^.^

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#9 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

NG, CN, CG Occaisonally LG, TN as of BG2 description is rather bleh. Though I pla it often enough for my Druids
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#10 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

I play Chaotic Neutral characters often goes Judge Dredd on local population.
"Mommy says that elves shall go to trees!"
"You have been judged, the sentence is death!"
SLASH!

#11 Hide and Seek

Hide and Seek
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

1st choice - Chaotic Good. I just like those people who follows their own moral compass, and forever moves on as settlers follow his wake. It's neither total good or on the limit of evil. A chaotic good Kensai or Stalker is my first choice.

2nd choice - Neutral Good. Usually when I play a thief with a good heart. There is not much you can do with an evil character in the long run. Both Suldanessellar and the priestess at Saradush didn't like me, and they told me so once. I try to be good.

3rd choice - Chaotic Neutral - Always used for my Half Orc Fighter or Fighter/Thief who doesn't care as much about their actions, or good or evil.
Favourite Quotes from BG2
Minsc: Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
Saemon: Pardon?
Aerie: This is gonna hurt you ALOT more than me!
Sarevok: Now I return the favor!
Drizzt: Yes, yes, you have my attention.
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

#12 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

My prefered alignment is Neutral Good, followed by True Neutral and then Chaotic Neutral. Lawful is pretty low on my play list, its just too rigid for me. I tend not to play evil unless I've finished playing those three alignments.

#13 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:14 AM

SLASH!

I always pictured Judge Dred as a modern equal to the Mercykillers (Vhailor from PS:T is one). That'd actually make him Lawful Neutral ;)
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#14 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:02 AM

SLASH!

I always pictured Judge Dred as a modern equal to the Mercykillers (Vhailor from PS:T is one). That'd actually make him Lawful Neutral ;)

That may be because Vhailor judges real criminals not children saying something they hardly understand...

I tend to play good characters, since the game (unfortunately) isn't developed for an evil party - at least not in the same sense.

Working on it, you know that... though I can't change the whole game of course, but I am trying at least some extra parts to it...

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#15 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

Yes, chaotic neutral seems to be doing quite well. That's what I was afraid of.

Non-sequitur-type CN responses aren't my forte, and beyond those catering to CN seems to mean leaving in a lot more dialogue options than a consistently good character (or, probably, a LN/TN one) would consider, at points in the track where a consistently evil character wouldn't get to.

#16 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

SLASH!

Hmm...
I think that since the character follows a certain code, she could be called Lawful Neutral.

#17 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:36 PM

Chaotic Neutral, since you can do whatever you want and still technically be playing in-character.

Either that or NE or LE, since that's probably my alignment IRL. ^^;;

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#18 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:53 PM

Chaotic Good, followed by Chaotic Neutral. Most of RL has been CG; it's made me some very close friends and on occasions, equally fast enemies followed by closer scapes to the law than are sometimes comfortable! Mind you, now I come to think of it, that was when going through a CN phase about twelve years ago...... :P

-Y-

#19 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, then Neutral Good. I'm not good at playing evil characters, and as said, they don't fit the game or the story well. As for Lawful: I'm a child of Chaos :)... I've played a Paladin in P&P once, finding it very hard to keep to the rules, as I do IRL. So Chaotic all the way.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#20 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, then Neutral Good. I'm not good at playing evil characters, and as said, they don't fit the game or the story well. As for Lawful: I'm a child of Chaos :)... I've played a Paladin in P&P once, finding it very hard to keep to the rules, as I do IRL. So Chaotic all the way.

Heh. I'm NG by ideology and CG by personal preference, so I tend to play one or the other depending on my mood. Some form of government is necessary, to direct the collective efforts of society intelligently and, more importantly, keep in line the people with no ethics of their own (CN Anomen comes to mind x.x); I strive to avoid being one of them, both in and out of game, and have no patience with situations where what I wish to do is against the letter of the law but is perfectly compatible with the spirit (misapplication of literal readings of laws to situations of a sort they were not designed to deal with, and may not have even existed when they were first codified). I prefer maximal freedom and find restrictions stifling even when they aren't directly affecting me (I've compared this in the past to having a steel girder suspended over one's head by chains; even if it never falls on you, it'll make you nervous).

Whether in Amn or America, law and order has its place--as far from me as possible. ^.^