• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:25 AM

Hello! I'd like to address a problem that comes with the original game and that neither TuTu nor BGT-WeiDu has corrected yet. At the Pocketplane forum another user reminded me of this and I am here to ask Ascension64 if he also believes it's something that should be corrected.

I go down to the point then. If you create, like I do, a party of six characters to play alone a Multiplayer session, you have the Party formation overridden automatically as you enter any indoor locations.

This is extremely annoying because I want to protect mainchar and often the party might be challenged in a fight as they enter a house, a cavern or any other indoor area.

It doesn' help to hide mainchar anywhere down the formation because as you enter the indoor area, it will be sent immediately in front row, occupying always the same spot in a 2x3 classical formation.

You can check this yourself if you will. Now, I wonder if this is a behaviour that can be somewhat corrected. Personally I'd think of it as a bug because it forces the player into a pre-ordered formation that can lead to lethal consequences... :cheers:

#2 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

Area entry points do set orientations and respect formations--we're correcting screwy orientations as we find them for the Fixpack. Do entry points behave differently under multiplayer? If no, then it can be fixed. If yes, it's probably something else that's hardcoded. :(

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#3 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

Hello Cam,

I don't know if the entry points are techincally different in single and multiplayer but if I had a wild guess I would say so since in Single player I seem to recall that mainchar preserves the position in the formation upon entering indoor locations while this doesn't unfortunately happen in multiplayer...But think of a multiplayer game with mainchar being a mage...Can you imagine it every time in the front raw when the party enter any indoor place ? It strikes me as pretty silly... <_<

#4 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:00 AM

You can always copy your save game from mpsave to save and run it in single player then the formations will keep the single player mode.

ronin

#5 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:35 AM

ronin69hof,

I had no idea you could do that... :blink:

You mean that I start a Multiplayer session and create my six characters and then start the game in Candlekeep. I save it right there and move the saved file from mpsave to save ?

#6 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:41 AM

I do it all the time

ronin

#7 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:42 AM

Very interesting and thanks for sharing this with us...If I may ask, what is your reason for doing so ? I mean, aside the Party formation override when I enter indoor locations I have never had any other problems playing in Multiplayer... :cheers:

#8 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:53 AM

I do it because the game loads faster and there isnt that chat bar at the bottom. You also dont have to connect first and enable your characters. Overall I find it faster in singleplayer than in multiplayer.

ronin

#9 Hety

Hety
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:08 AM

and one less listening socket :ph34r:
GIEF EPEX! © Believe @ Lightning' Blade(WoW)

I often type on shitty keyboards and in dark places. So dont mind my typos. PLEASE.

kkthxbye...

#10 Xamidjakh

Xamidjakh
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

You can always copy your save game from mpsave to save and run it in single player then the formations will keep the single player mode.

ronin

Ronin, this is the best tip, ever. I wish someone would have told me this like 10 years ago. It works great too if you say, use a custom kit that ends up not working and want a new char. Great advice, Thanks

#11 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

Does it work the other way around? Can you take a savegame from single player and then put it into Multiplayer?

#12 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:21 AM

Does it work the other way around? Can you take a savegame from single player and then put it into Multiplayer?

Yes.