Photo

Brythe NPC Tolerability, Poll 1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Brythe Tolerability (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Who amongst the following NPCs do you think most likely to, up-front, tolerate Brythe in the party?

1. Aerie (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

2. Anomen (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Jaheira (1 votes [3.45%])

4. Keldorn (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

5. Mazzy (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Valygar (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

7. Imoen (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

8. Minsc (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

9. Nalia (1 votes [3.45%])

10. Cernd (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shfelliot

Shfelliot
  • Modder
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:36 AM

Polls are just fun. ;D Since a major factor within Brythe is going to be character interaction (should you allow Brythe to speak with others, that is) with certain other NPCs, and a delicate balance of being able to negotiate their continued co-existence with Brythe in the PC's party. In other words, there are particular NPCs in BGII who are going to have a *major* problem with being in the company of Brythe.

The fact is, as noted in basically every topic, Brythe is a former admitted serial murderer. He killed 100+ people...men, women, children, indiscrimately. He went through a very warped legal process that probably could have only happened in a nation like Tethyr, where the words 'civil war' is akin to 'Tuesday'. Technically he served his time through the 'letter of the legal process', but it was an admitted corrupt legal process. He *should* have been executed, but he wasn't. He rotted in a Tethyrian dungeon for 63 years, practically forgotten about, surviving and not aging for very mysterious reasons, and suddenly by happenstance is released. It is two years later, and you find Brythe in Athkatla.

Brythe believes himself to be a wall of stone, and he CAN be if you ask him to be, but if deeply probed within conversations you will find him to be a very flawed, real individual who feels, smiles, weeps, fears, and hates just as much as anyone else. Is he changed, can he be changed, or is such a thing possible or even plausible, given the nature of what he has done? All of these are questions you, as the PC, are going to have to determine over the course of the game, should you choose to pursue them.

Obviously, with such forceful and varied personalities such as those found in the main BGII NPC roster that there is a *large* number of which will have serious problems coexisting with such an individual (ie a convicted mass murderer) in the party. And since Brythe is an NPC designed with a good or neutral NPC in mind,

Inasmuch, I am going to be conducting on this forum a series of three polls based on those NPCs I believe to appear, on the onset, to have the most serious conflicts of interest with tolerating being in the party with Brythe. These NPCs are:

Aerie
Anomen
Jaheira
Keldorn
Mazzy
Valygar
Imoen
Minsc
Nalia
Cernd

There are certain NPCs in BGII which will probably have little to no problem tolerating Brythe, at least from the start. These NPCs are of little consequence for the purposes of these polls. These NPCs are: Korgan, Viconia, Edwin, Sarevok, Jan, and Haer'Dalis. The former four for the purposes of that they are already evil to begin with, and the latter two in that they are both chaotic neutral and such have a much more lax initial view of people.

This is *not* to say there will not be conversations that could possibly lead to Korgan wanting to murder Brythe where he stands. The polls, however, are for people who are more *OBVIOUSLY* from the get-go going to have a serious problem associating with someone like Brythe.

There are going to be three polls for this topic: those who you believe through the nature of their personality is most likely to accept Brythe at face value, those who through your negotiating abilities of who you believe might be most able to convince to co-exist with Brythe, and those who you truly believe there is no way in high-hell, to death till us part will NOT be able to tolerate Brythe till the end of BGII because of their beliefs, personality or intentions.

These poll are more for me than anyone, I'll admit it upfront, as I want to see you, the people's responses and thoughts on different NPC's reactions to Brythe from the vague amount of information I've given to you about him, because you have to consider this is *also* just about the amount of information most of the BGII NPCs will have when they join the party. It's going to be a very helpful factor in my writing of the dialogues as I gauge and slowly decide how interactions, negotiating, and personality-conflicts will ultimately decide those who can, or feasibly, who *COULD* co-exist with Brythe and those who ultimately cannot. I want to maximize the options of versatility in a party with taking Brythe along since you'll be a good/neutral NPC, but I also absolutely REFUSE to Mary-Sue him into a co-existence and want to get second opinions. ;D

Please note, if you vote for someone you believe to be an unlikely choice, please post a note why you think they would behave that way.

These results should be interesting. Enjoy!

Who amongst the following NPCs do you think most likely to, up-front, tolerate Brythe in the party?

Edited by Shfelliot, 26 March 2006 - 07:37 AM.

#2 Alet

Alet
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:33 AM

Imoen, definitely. Because she's all about forgiveness and second chances and trusting Charname. She was willing to give Sarevok a bit of her soul so he could live again, with no promises that he'd even try to redeem himself! She didn't trust him, but she gave him a second chance, and his crimes had much more of an impact in her life than Brythe's (open debate about whose were worse, but that's not the point). If he kept emphasizing that he really didn't mind killing all those people, in fact kinda liked it, and wouldn't mind recreating it on small scale on, oh, say, the next thief who put itching powder in his bedroll, NOT THAT ANYONE WOULD EVER DO THAT, she might get kinda creeped out, but the worst she'd do is mention her doubts to Charname.

Second vote goes to Cernd, but that's because Cernd is much more of a "let every man prove himself, not by what he has done, not by what he will do, but what he does right now" kinda guy. (Also, the man is too easygoing -- a.k.a. bland -- to work up a serious objection.) Again, the worst he'd do is go "well, I sure hope you know what you're doing" to Charname.

#3 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:07 PM

Valygar puts up with everyone.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum