Photo

Brythe NPC Tolerability, Poll 2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Brythe Tolerability (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following NPCs do you believe that you (the PC) could most likely convince to co-exist with Brythe?

1. Aerie (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

2. Anomen (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

3. Jaheira (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

4. Keldorn (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

5. Mazzy (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Valygar (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

7. Imoen (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

8. Minsc (6 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

9. Nalia (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

10. Cernd (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shfelliot

Shfelliot
  • Modder
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:41 AM

Polls are just fun. ;D Since a major factor within Brythe is going to be character interaction (should you allow Brythe to speak with others, that is) with certain other NPCs, and a delicate balance of being able to negotiate their continued co-existence with Brythe in the PC's party. In other words, there are particular NPCs in BGII who are going to have a *major* problem with being in the company of Brythe.

The fact is, as noted in basically every topic, Brythe is a former admitted serial murderer. He killed 100+ people...men, women, children, indiscrimately. He went through a very warped legal process that probably could have only happened in a nation like Tethyr, where the words 'civil war' is akin to 'Tuesday'. Technically he served his time through the 'letter of the legal process', but it was an admitted corrupt legal process. He *should* have been executed, but he wasn't. He rotted in a Tethyrian dungeon for 63 years, practically forgotten about, surviving and not aging for very mysterious reasons, and suddenly by happenstance is released. It is two years later, and you find Brythe in Athkatla.

Brythe believes himself to be a wall of stone, and he CAN be if you ask him to be, but if deeply probed within conversations you will find him to be a very flawed, real individual who feels, smiles, weeps, fears, and hates just as much as anyone else. Is he changed, can he be changed, or is such a thing possible or even plausible, given the nature of what he has done? All of these are questions you, as the PC, are going to have to determine over the course of the game, should you choose to pursue them.

Obviously, with such forceful and varied personalities such as those found in the main BGII NPC roster that there is a *large* number of which will have serious problems coexisting with such an individual (ie a convicted mass murderer) in the party. And since Brythe is an NPC designed with a good or neutral NPC in mind,

Inasmuch, I am going to be conducting on this forum a series of three polls based on those NPCs I believe to appear, on the onset, to have the most serious conflicts of interest with tolerating being in the party with Brythe. These NPCs are:

Aerie
Anomen
Jaheira
Keldorn
Mazzy
Valygar
Imoen
Minsc
Nalia
Cernd

There are certain NPCs in BGII which will probably have little to no problem tolerating Brythe, at least from the start. These NPCs are of little consequence for the purposes of these polls. These NPCs are: Korgan, Viconia, Edwin, Sarevok, Jan, and Haer'Dalis. The former four for the purposes of that they are already evil to begin with, and the latter two in that they are both chaotic neutral and such have a much more lax initial view of people.

This is *not* to say there will not be conversations that could possibly lead to Korgan wanting to murder Brythe where he stands. The polls, however, are for people who are more *OBVIOUSLY* from the get-go going to have a serious problem associating with someone like Brythe.

There are going to be three polls for this topic: those who you believe through the nature of their personality is most likely to accept Brythe at face value, those who through your negotiating abilities of who you believe might be most able to convince to co-exist with Brythe, and those who you truly believe there is no way in high-hell, to death till us part will NOT be able to tolerate Brythe till the end of BGII because of their beliefs, personality or intentions.

These poll are more for me than anyone, I'll admit it upfront, as I want to see you, the people's responses and thoughts on different NPC's reactions to Brythe from the vague amount of information I've given to you about him, because you have to consider this is *also* just about the amount of information most of the BGII NPCs will have when they join the party. It's going to be a very helpful factor in my writing of the dialogues as I gauge and slowly decide how interactions, negotiating, and personality-conflicts will ultimately decide those who can, or feasibly, who *COULD* co-exist with Brythe and those who ultimately cannot. I want to maximize the options of versatility in a party with taking Brythe along since you'll be a good/neutral NPC, but I also absolutely REFUSE to Mary-Sue him into a co-existence and want to get second opinions. ;D

Please note, if you vote for someone you believe to be an unlikely choice, please post a note why you think they would behave that way.

These results should be interesting. Enjoy!

#2 Alet

Alet
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:40 AM

Minsc, definitely. He'd be dreadfully unhappy about it, but he'd trust in Charname. I imagine his feelings would be suspicious and confused, going either to "I guess he's all right now" and confused or suspicious and ANGRY RAR, (again, v. difficult to say without a hint of Brythe's personality/likely actions) but he'd hold back because Charname said so. Unless Brythe goes all taunting and threatening Boo, in which case he might hold back the first few times but would eventually snap.

If there is a "redeem Brythe" subplot in there (aack, the uncertainty!!), it would be highly amusing to see Minsc go all proud "Boo knew you would turn around! Let us buy you good evil-crushing boots and be HEROS together to celebrate!" and stuff. (Brythe does not seem to be the guy who would appreciate being called a hero, no matter what.)

#3 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

First vote for Valygar ^_^ He's a silent and nice guy, what could possibly be the problem?

"Farewell, Charname, and may Irenicus get you!"

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

- Author of lil one-day Moddie fox. -

#4 ingrown

ingrown
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:21 AM

i'd say Cernd, he seems more accepting of weird stuff in people, guess it makes sense, being man-chewing wolfman half the time
"chicken killer - SHOOT THE CHICKENS! - NO?"

#5 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

I think Keldorn. Yup, he's paladin and should be against him but I think that he's quite tolerable and would like maybe to offer to Brythe the choice of redemption.
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#6 countingdown7

countingdown7
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

Late to the party, but... Aerie! She is so innocent and dumb! You could convince her of all sorts of things... and she was also "locked up"!
He would feel similar emotions for Imoen, her being your sis, but she'd be hyper-aware of "bad guys" after Iren's actions...

#7 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:13 AM

I think Keldorn. Yup, he's paladin and should be against him but I think that he's quite tolerable and would like maybe to offer to Brythe the choice of redemption.

Besides, Keldorn is lawfull, and Brythe DID go through the legal process of his land.

#8 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

Valygar - he's the only character who's cool with Sarevok, in ToB, so he should be tolerant of Brythe as well - as far as he's concerned, no mage, no problem.

#9 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

I say Imoen would be able to tolerate him, seeing as she gets along with any Bioware NPC no matter how evil they are except for Sarevok, who she isn't screaming her head off at.