Photo

another Kivan dialogue problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 musekissing

musekissing
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:58 AM

Once again a bug in Kivan's dialogue ...
When the party enters the bandit camp area without any guide from the bandits at Peldvale or Larswood Kivan initiates dialogue, which is in fact the forcetalk options.
Finally joined after 20 posts ...

#2 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:31 AM

Ok, found the cause. - SirBillyBob forgot to convert an areacheck in Kivan's dialogue.

In X#KIINT the following block:

// Kivan, First Entry to Bandit Camp
IF WEIGHT #-2 ~Global("KFEBC","GLOBAL",1) AreaCheck("FW1900")~ THEN BEGIN KFEBC1
SAY ~I need a moment...

Should actually be:

// Kivan, First Entry to Bandit Camp
IF WEIGHT #-2 ~Global("KFEBC","GLOBAL",1) AreaCheck("AR8700")~ THEN BEGIN KFEBC1
SAY ~I need a moment...

I don't think I can provide a quick patch for this, since your state might actually not be the same as mine, and WeiDU can't search for the correct state, than correct it, yet.

You could try to fix this yourself with DLTCEP or NI (BACKUP your KIVANJ.DLG file before making any changes!!!) Or safer: try setting the "KFEBC" global to 2 with Shadowkeeper or the CLUAConsole; it will prevent the dialogue from firing and it is the value this global is set to after this small dialogue.

Edited by Thauron, 19 April 2006 - 06:32 AM.

#3 musekissing

musekissing
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:32 AM

I changed it via NI. It now works fine. Thank you.

Your quite good in finding such script failures.
What about the last Garrick quest banter? It is the same here as with Kivan ...

#4 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:45 AM

Another tiny dialogue problem, this time one from original BG1NPC I believe.

In X#GARWYL.D, the following:

IF WEIGHT #-2
~AreaCheck("AR9799")
PartyHasItem("X#GARCH")
Global("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",0)~ THEN BEGIN PostMyrChat
SAY ~I agree that the artistic greats should...

should be

IF WEIGHT #-2
~AreaCheck("AR9799")
PartyHasItem("X#GARCH")
Global("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BEGIN PostMyrChat
SAY ~I agree that the artistic greats should...

Again can't make a patch for it, but try correcting this manually (in GARRIJ.DLG).

Actually it is fairly easy to correct those, if one is pointed towards such little bugs - not much skill needed for that if one knows the IE-code.

EDIT: it seems this forum doens't like bold text within CODE-blocks... but I am sure you can spot the difference anyway ;)

Edited by Thauron, 19 April 2006 - 07:48 AM.

#5 musekissing

musekissing
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:04 AM

Thanks again.

I'll try to point whenever I can.

BTW I tried to fix the dialogue files for the broken banters from the other thread,
but wasn't able to find them. Could you point the way? I'm a newbie with NI ...

#6 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:18 AM

If you're trying to fix them before reinstalling the whole thing:
- all but one of the D files I mention are under the dialogues directory
- X#JAINT.D is under Phase2/DLG

Open them with notepad and do a search for the statename (I mention them) or for FLAM4 in the case of X#JAINT.D - and just replace.

If you are looking for a way to correct this in game, without reinstalling, I strongly advise against it - deleting states and adding states to other files would get seriously messy.

#7 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:18 AM

EDIT: double post, sorry.

Edited by Thauron, 19 April 2006 - 08:44 AM.

#8 musekissing

musekissing
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:36 AM

I merely wanted to know where the files are and how it works to alter them.
I'm not patient enough to reinstall, that means I will arange myself with reading the broken banters
in the files themselves.

Thank you for the help.

#9 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

I merely wanted to know where the files are and how it works to alter them.
I'm not patient enough to reinstall, that means I will arange myself with reading the broken banters
in the files themselves.

Thank you for the help.

Actually, I would advise against reinstalling too - sometimes, when altering much while reinstalling, than reloading a previous savegame - might cause some stringrefs to get messed up. So I would only opt for a reinstall when starting a new game. These bugs are not critical anyway.

To get back to the Garrick bug - maybe something to consider for Sir BillyBob (and the BG1NPC crew).

IF WEIGHT #-2
~AreaCheck("AR9799")
PartyHasItem("X#GARCH")
Global("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BEGIN PostMyrChat
SAY ~I agree that the artistic greats should have immortality through their works... Though I think this shows that, uh, it's probably best to let their bodies decay after their natural time has expired. I don't think I should ever want to be a ghost, like that...~
=
~Still, this armour *is* very stylish.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

I would advise to add a SetGlobal("X#PostMyrChat","LOCALS",2) at the end - as it stands now, this dialogue might trigger again if Garrick wants to banter as long as the party remains in this area and keeps the item. Chances are slim this will happen, but better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Thauron, 19 April 2006 - 08:54 AM.

#10 Waverley

Waverley
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

Once again a bug in Kivan's dialogue ...
When the party enters the bandit camp area without any guide from the bandits at Peldvale or Larswood Kivan initiates dialogue, which is in fact the forcetalk options.

Just to clarify this and Thauron's solution in the next post involving Shadowkeeper (I'm not personally confident of my ability to patch game files without my typos making a dodgy situation worse) , as I expect to be in the same situation fairly soon -

Is this just an unwanted piece of dialogue, or does it have undesirable side-effects

Should I use Shadowkeeper before entering the bandit camp area, after I get there or won't it matter providing I do it before Kivan speaks?

#11 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:47 AM

I don't think this dialogue is in any way important - Kivan just announces he wants a quick prayer for success in killing Tazok.

I would advise to set the KFEBC global to 2 right before entering the Bandit Camp map.

#12 Waverley

Waverley
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:32 AM

I don't think this dialogue is in any way important - Kivan just announces he wants a quick prayer for success in killing Tazok.

I would advise to set the KFEBC global to 2 right before entering the Bandit Camp map.

Thanks - I'll be on that map in about 15 minutes, all being well