TeamBG Revival

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#201 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:32 PM

TBG-2 (yes, you may use that if you wish)

(as an aside, already been coined :))
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#202 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:29 AM

The tool statements have been updated - I'll note this in the next TBG News post as well.

If anyone has anything to add on the TBG revival please do so, however note that I do not consider posts about rudeness, past administration (of various sites), the defintion of flames and so on relevant to the discussion, and I would highly appreciate them not being posted (and this includes "I just want to get the last word in the argument, I was right, lets move on" posts as well!).

So, with the tools and guest posting taken care of, does anyone else have anything to say?

Visit the IESDP

#203 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:47 AM

Remarks on things such as the current modding climate being stale continue to offend, and the phrase "Father of it all", while not offensive, is really funny. I encourage you to vet your FAQ for similarly silly things, because I say again that a new community is fine, but a new community which boldly announces "I am new because all the others are gay" is going to be less gladly received.

If Infinity Talker isn't a legacy tool then I don't know what is.

While it's sadly not legacy, WinBiff should be highlighted as extremely dangerous. Pretty much nobody should be using it.

I also suggest you revive Item Text Maker.

#204 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:08 AM

Remarks on things such as the current modding climate being stale continue to offend, and the phrase "Father of it all", while not offensive, is really funny.

You know, in the end it's their opinion, their policy. If they want to hold on to these and similar statements and sentiments, it is their full right to do so. They are not after all the first community on the block to adopt an arrogant attitude. In the end, it is the content that matters. For now, TeamBG community assets are the old tradmark, restricted access to discussion forums, an array of old tools, and no mods. It will be interesting to see where they go from there, and what innovations exactly they'll present to the IE modding world.

#205 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:49 AM

You know, in the end it's their opinion, their policy. If they want to hold on to these and similar statements and sentiments, it is their full right to do so.

And they asked for suggestions.

(You know, it really bugs me when I suggest something and a million people jump in and remind me that EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO THEIR OPINION. Yes, of course everyone has a right to do stupid things. That doesn't mean I can't ask them not to.)

#206 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:11 AM

Good point, but if it is their true belief, and it is that strong, masking it is a bit of a hypocricy, especially if they do aim to offend, make a bold statement, etc. It is, after all, a valid method of capturing attention. Anyway, I am getting carried away here. There is nothing wrong with you suggesting to sugar-coat the statements, but they might be actually deliberate. We won't know unless they tell.

#207 Baronius

Baronius
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:35 AM

You know, in the end it's their opinion, their policy. If they want to hold on to these and similar statements and sentiments, it is their full right to do so. They are not after all the first community on the block to adopt an arrogant attitude.

If I interpret you correctly (please tell me if I don't), you say that this ("Father of it all") is also arrogant -- I've to disappoint you: TeamBG is indeed the start of the organized IE modding, start of IE modding supported in website and community level. Whether you like or not.

While it's sadly not legacy, WinBiff should be highlighted as extremely dangerous. Pretty much nobody should be using it.

Please provide examples or more details about its dangers. It if isn't run in Advanced mode (I can't tell anything about this mode as I didn't use to edit Biffs with it), it a great tool to browse ALL game files and extract them.
For a certain reason (DLTCEP problem on an older PC), I regularly used WinBiff for a long time, with no errors. For the development of Grey Clan: Candlelight.
Law, chaos, mystery... interesting plot and dangerous battles... new enemies - and new friends. -- some new fun in BG1Tutu: In Candlelight

#208 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:49 AM

[quote name='Baronius' date='Jun 26 2006, 11:35 AM' post='255506']It if isn't run in Advanced mode (I can't tell anything about this mode as I didn't use to edit Biffs with it),
I forget precisely what limitations Basic mode puts in place. When I used it, it was basically always in Advanced mode because I needed facilities to create/remove BIFs. Particularly unsafe points are:
- It has a tendency to handle duplicates of files within the KEY incorrectly. This may irreparably break your game.
- Manipulating multiple BIFs in one go does not work correctly. This irreparably breaks your game.
- It enables you to modify BIFs without updating the KEY, with no prompt or indication otherwise that doing so is neccessary. This irreparably breaks your game.
- It is prone to crashing. If it does so before you update the KEY, no prizes for guessing what this does to your game.

[quote]it a great tool to browse ALL game files and extract them. [/quote]
I can think of basically no reason that I would ever suggest somebody use WinBiff. But yes, since you're quite insistent on keeping the most appalling of tools available "just in case", I'm afraid I can only hope for some sort of warning placed on what is potentially the most damaging utility available.

#209 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

If I interpret you correctly (please tell me if I don't), you say that this ("Father of it all") is also arrogant -- I've to disappoint you: TeamBG is indeed the start of the organized IE modding, start of IE modding supported in website and community level. Whether you like or not.

Arrogance is not derived exclusevely from false facts. It is simply "a feeling or an impression of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or presumptuous claims". In this particular case, the contrast between what the new site has and the capitalized, pompous vocabulary creates - in my view - the said effect. Intentional or not, beneficial or not - well, that I don't know, and frankly I'm not all that keen to find out. If it works for them - fine, if it does not, well, I guess they will either go down or think up something else.

#210 Baronius

Baronius
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:25 AM

Guest 1:
Thanks for the clarification on the editor (Advanced) mode.
Basic mode doesn't allow any editing. So, based on the currently available information at least, it can be stated that WinBiff is still a working and -- according to the tests -- reliable tool in Basic mode.
I'm supporting to keep the availability (with warning/reminder texts on their download locations) of certain tools indeed, for a good and rational reason. (Which I detailed in my previous posts, I'm not going to repeat myself.)

Guest 2 (assuming you're different from 1):
I'm not sure I get what you mean. I suppose your point is about being humble. I agree that it's nice and can be useful as well, especially for starting sites. However, I don't think it's so rejecting to state something which is true; and I don't think it's so immodest to say that TeamBG was "the father of all". They don't say this means they are above others etc. It may imply negative things as well, but why to judge anything on assumptions? Let's learn to see the positive, to assume the positive instead of negative.

Edited by Baronius, 26 June 2006 - 09:32 AM.

Law, chaos, mystery... interesting plot and dangerous battles... new enemies - and new friends. -- some new fun in BG1Tutu: In Candlelight

#211 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

Basic mode doesn't allow any editing. So, based on the currently available information at least, it can be stated that WinBiff is still a working and -- according to the tests -- reliable tool in Basic mode.

A gun is a safe and reliable tool until you take the safety catch off.

#212 Baronius

Baronius
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:57 AM

Your metaphor is irrelevant. Why do you want to take from these tools what they are really able to do? Why to deny that? WinBiff can extract an item file as reliably as DLTCEP.
(Furthemore, every tool in unsafe, because they can edit your game. If I make an item with DLTCEP/Cromwell's Smithy that crashes the game, does this mean DLTCEP or Smithy is a dangerous tool?)

#213 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

Baronius, I have absolutely no problem in you disagreeing with me. However, I am in turn stating that I disagree with your assessment of the connotations of the expression "Father of it all" in this context. I believe that further clarification is not needed.

#214 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

IDU can create a corrupt DLG file which I can open in Sound Forge and save as a WAV to use as part of a beat in Reason. That doesn't make it any less of a horrible tool.
WinBiff provides dangerous functions, and there is no reason to use it whatsoever. But there appears to be nothing I can do here; by all means, give everyone guns and say "please don't take the catch off".

#215 Baronius

Baronius
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:19 AM

Guest 2: Thanks for your reply. I would like to add something to my previous statements:

However, I don't think it's so rejecting to state something which is true; and I don't think it's so immodest to say that TeamBG was "the father of all". They don't say this means they are above others etc.

I.e. that if -- with their new policy and decisions -- they prove they mean it in the "right" way, I will be content. However, if they will inherit the negative sides of the old TBG as well (and/or will have new features which reject people such as using and changing other authors' material without any notice and then denying it), I won't be happy. Just like I did in the beginning of this thread, I say let's give time to the new TeamBG. I think that if they can adapt themselves to the community; (in my dictionary, there is one community and multiple sites, even if sometimes I accidently use the term "modding communities" without using quotation marks), i.e. if their acts will reflect that the possible negative things implied by their statements on the TBG site were nothing more than incorrect assumptions/false beliefs.
However, I also have to admit that some of their statements could be more humble IMO, indeed.

Guest 1:

IDU can create a corrupt DLG file which I can open in Sound Forge and save as a WAV to use as part of a beat in Reason. That doesn't make it any less of a horrible tool.
WinBiff provides dangerous functions, and there is no reason to use it whatsoever.

If it's explicitly proved* that the Basic mode is reliable, it's a reason to keep it available. It's another matter that you think it's no reason to use it. (It was the subject of another discussion whether to keep these tools publicly available or not.) I also think there is no reason to use it when there is a tool which offers the same as an integrated option. But it would be ridiculous to introduce WinBiff as an entirely useless or horrible tool just because its editor mode is dangerous.

*I don't state that my experience is enough to prove such, but it's a good basis. I used it for a comparatively long time with no problems. Though I'm pretty sure there is little or no chance in WinBiff to damage/corrupt anything during browsing/extracting the game's files.

Edited by Baronius, 26 June 2006 - 11:28 AM.

#216 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:28 AM

Sigh.

#217 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:40 AM

(On the other hand you're right about the bugs: some of Theo's tools contain several bugs /or rather just "not the best" code/. Theo has never learnt programming in university so he couldn't be aware of every important aspect while coding, but I found most of his tools very useful, some of them are still used by many modders.)

You're an idiot or you just act like it? not being a learned-at-university programmer is no excuse for buggy programs. If you can't program, find something else to do, or learn to debug. And calling 'not the best code' what is a known bug (for example, WEIGHT handling) is just pure bullshit. Almost as bad as the 'a feature, not a bug' mantra.

And you can't hold me responsible for any insult this message delivers, because I have never studied English in university, so I can't be aware of possibly offensive parts in this message.

If I were the author of IDU and I saw somebody duplicating it without my permission, I'd just hide under a rock, rather than resurface and claim ownership over that.

I only have to say that Theo did study programming, and the fact that IDU/IDW/IETME were never updated is only a matter of lazyness. He knows the bugs the tools have, and no, hes not going to fix them, he has been uninterested in IE modding for years now, so you can forget a IETME update.

And why wouldnt he claim ownership and "hide under a rock" instead? Cos he had the balls and spent time making a tool now obsolete? Thats as stupid as saying "dude, if i had invented the bike id hide under a rock cos now you have cars and planes". I think in its own time IDU did its job. Now you have better tools, hooray for it, by all means, use them and forget about IDU, just as youd use linux over windows 3.1.

Also, as you say, if someone cant program then they shouldnt, maybe if you dont know how to speak in "friendly" or at least "polite" english, you shouldnt either.

I think YOU are acting like an idiot since the second post of this thread. Too full of yourself and arrogant to no end.

Regards,

Ana. :)

#218 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

I think YOU are acting like an idiot since the second post of this thread. Too full of yourself and arrogant to no end.

Thanks. I'm glad to see that my efforts didn't go unnoticed.

Edited by the bigg, 26 June 2006 - 11:48 AM.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#219 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

Quoted for truth. Can any modder really stand by and say there's a good reason to have IDU/IDW actively supported?

But thats the thing, Andy, IDU and IDW and all the rest of tools Theo made are not supported and havent been supported by him in YEARS!!! He has no interest in supporting them, i can say he never had!! In his own site (to host all the tools he made over the years) it says CLEARLY in the main page that he DOESNT give support to any of them, and theyre there just because he wanted to have them all in one place. (Ref: http://gameapps.com).

I think this kind of settles the issue with all this obsolete/broken/useless tools.

Times change, new better tools get released, why update or try to fix something old when new and way better things are already out there being used by a lot of people?

Now, igi, i think "legacy" may be a rather strong word, id create a "old tools" section with a disclaimer in big red letters.

-Ana

The_Bigg: Believe me, you didnt go unnoticed by me or many others. ;)

#220 Baronius

Baronius
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:14 PM

I only have to say that Theo did study programming, and the fact that IDU/IDW/IETME were never updated is only a matter of lazyness. He knows the bugs the tools have, and no, hes not going to fix them

I didn't want to imply that he wasn't aware of the bugs or wouldn't be able to correct them (if I had done it anywhere, let me correct myself here). However, what I tried to explain to theBigg in my long post about programming, is that it's not the same how a code is written. I'm not sure where or what Theo studied (I remembered that not in uni, but I apologise if I'm wrong), but this case is general and not just about him: it's much easier to fix bugs in a well-written code where the technology was chosen wisely etc. (And in uni you obviously get more versatile knowledge than in a course, for instance). This is why programmers who are studying in university or studied in university may produce better code than others (usually). But even for them, debugging is sometimes not a too easy task, and this is what I wanted to explain to theBigg. (Not sure with how much success).

And why wouldnt he claim ownership and "hide under a rock" instead? Cos he had the balls and spent time making a tool now obsolete? Thats as stupid as saying "dude, if i had invented the bike id hide under a rock cos now you have cars and planes". I think in its own time IDU did its job. Now you have better tools, hooray for it, by all means, use them and forget about IDU, just as youd use linux over windows 3.1.

Nice summary, Ana! Perfectly summarizes my point as well. And an explanation to why I suggest new modders (but not just them) to respect the old, now obsolete tools instead of talking them as c**p.