• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 WizWom

WizWom
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:08 AM

The first word after the file version is not garbage, it is the paperdoll type:
0 = character
8 = equiptment (like a shield or a helmet)

I think this keeps you shield from coming in in the color of your character's skin. But it appears to have no discernable effect at all.

I have yet to see a paperdoll without 0x8 on the first byte!
Please tell me an original paperdoll which has no 0x8 there.

Aye, you are right. Wonder what the 8 means, it is ignored, near as I can tell.

#22 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:57 PM

Anyone have links to the BMP/PLT converters that aren't broken?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#23 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:22 AM

This might work. It's the Photoshop Plugin Suide (1.0) from TeamBG.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 29 October 2007 - 12:24 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#24 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:56 AM

Thanks... forgot about that one (though I usually use Paint Shop or Gimp for editing). I did find the converters on my old hard drive (sometimes it helps to be a packrat).

Edit: Links removed, since WizWom is now hosting these again (see below).

Edited by Miloch, 12 January 2008 - 03:38 PM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#25 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

Photoshop plugins work in Paint Shop Pro (and many other images editors).

Visit the IESDP

#26 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Yeah... I should've remembered that too since I just installed some PS plug-ins in PSP. It won't install on my system though (in either application) - I guess I'll go report it over at TBG.

#27 WizWom

WizWom
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:23 AM

Er, sorry about that, I haven't had hosting for a bit here.

Hosted now at http://www.wizwom.is-a-geek.net/BGMods

Edited by WizWom, 02 January 2008 - 04:34 PM.

#28 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

Could someone please post the BMP2PLT and PLT2BMP converters in a .zip file. The files become corrupted when I try to download the .exe files.

#29 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

Here's a temp link until WizWom gets around to it.

Edit: see below

Edited by Miloch, 12 January 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#30 WizWom

WizWom
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

Gotten around to it :-)

http://wizwom.is-a-g...T_Converter.rar

#31 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

THANKS ! ! !

#32 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Ok, I?ve made some cool plt?s but I have a couple of questions. It?s a simple matter to rename a new plt to replace and existing one, but how / where do you need to assign a plt so that it will go with someone who does not already have one such as Elminster, Drizzt, or an animal. The answer is probably really obvious but I can?t seem to figure out how. I am fairly certain that it can be done because Meepo has a plt. Second, is it possible to have a plt keep the original colors of the bmp and have the character?s colors in-game have no effect on the plt? If it is possible, then it would make my life much simpler. Any help would be appreciated.

#33 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

how / where do you need to assign a plt so that it will go with someone who does not already have one such as Elminster, Drizzt, or an animal. The answer is probably really obvious but I can’t seem to figure out how.

I think the format is the four-character prefix of the animation (as in anisnd.ids) followed by an optional number for various "armoured" sequences (for character PLTs) and then INV. So Elminster would be uelminv.plt and mfieinv.plt is an existing Fire Elemental plt.

#34 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

Either I?m so incompetent that I can?t follow your simple directions or there?s something missing. I renamed one of the new plt?s ?mfieinv.plt? and put it in the override, but in-game the plt for fire elemental was still the original. NearInfinity, however, showed the plt as being overridden. Although this is odd, it?s not the first time I?ve seen the override folder appear to be overridden. How do I fix this? I also tried naming it as ?udrzinv.plt? (Drizzt) and ?uelminv.plt? (Elminster) and ?mogninv.plt? (ogrillon) but none of them showed up in the game either. I also tried renaming it to ?cemf1inv.plt? and it did override the original and show up in the game. This is all very confusing but I would really like to get this to work. As always, any help or suggestions you can give are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help so far!

#35 WizWom

WizWom
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

Sure enough, I get that, too. Fire elementals have both a MFIEINV.BAM and a MFIEINV.PLT in the biff; I'd suggest pulling the Biff's BAM.

I did successfully make an MKOBINV.PLT and put it into the game, so I know it can be done.

Edit: yes, just verified... the MFIEINV uses the BAM in preference to the PLT. And writing a junk BAM just blanks the display.

So, if a PLT doesn't work for an animation, I guess try a BAM.

Edited by WizWom, 17 January 2008 - 08:55 PM.

#36 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

I hate to keep asking for help but I still can?t figure out how to assign a paperdoll (either .PLT or .BAM) to a character that does not already have one. I was able to edit ?data/paperdol.bif? and replace the ones for a fire elemental and mine showed up fine in-game. Just so I know I?m not making a stupid mistake, I?ll give an example of one that I can?t get to work. Let?s use Drizzt. If I?m not mistaken, the name of the paperdoll should be ?udrzinv.plt? and/or ?udrzinv.bam?. I tried putting each of these and then both in the override folder and then in a biff. Nothing worked.

On a different note, if a portrait is not assigned to a character, the game uses the default portrait of a face with a question mark. Although I very much doubt the paperdolls work the same way I looked for a blank default anyway. I didn?t find one, but that doesn?t necessarily mean that it doesn?t exist.

Every time I start a personal project, like this one with the paperdolls, I learn more about how the Infinity Engine works. This one has raised a couple of questions not directly related to making new paperdolls themselves. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in this area can answer them. "And that's why the PLT file is superior: 254 shades of each color vs 12. much smoother.? If this is true, then why would the Infinity Engine prefer a .BAM to a .PLT? Second, in the .BAM form of the paperdolls, there are usually three frames. There are usually two of the top half of the figure and one of the bottom half (although sometimes there is a second one of the bottom). If there is only one top frame or only one frame with the top and bottom combined, then the picture does weird things in-game. Why does the Infinity Engine need the second top (and sometimes bottom) frame?

#37 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:02 AM

"And that's why the PLT file is superior: 254 shades of each color vs 12. much smoother.” If this is true, then why would the Infinity Engine prefer a .BAM to a .PLT?

I don't know where that comes from or what it's supposed to mean. BAMs can have 256 colours (or, I guess, 254 if you don't count the transparency and shadow palette entries).

Second, in the .BAM form of the paperdolls, there are usually three frames. There are usually two of the top half of the figure and one of the bottom half (although sometimes there is a second one of the bottom). If there is only one top frame or only one frame with the top and bottom combined, then the picture does weird things in-game. Why does the Infinity Engine need the second top (and sometimes bottom) frame?

I don't see what you're talking about. Mfieinv.bam, for example, has two frames (one for the top half, one for the bottom half). As for why it needs two frames, well, the engine can be retarded sometimes. BG1 for example needs you to split your description BAMs into four frames, if you really want to go there... :blink:

As for the other stuff, I really don't have much of a clue. I don't know if anyone's done a whole lot of work in this area (adding non-character paperdolls) - you might be one of the first! So, like the guys who trailblazed the IESDP, it's probably a matter of hacking around, experimenting and hopefully finding something that works (and also reporting your findings to the IESDP eventually <_<).

#38 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

"And that's why the PLT file is superior: 254 shades of each color vs 12. much smoother.? If this is true, then why would the Infinity Engine prefer a .BAM to a .PLT?

I don't know where that comes from or what it's supposed to mean. BAMs can have 256 colours (or, I guess, 254 if you don't count the transparency and shadow palette entries).

Wondrous, absolutely wondrous. Inconsistent. Um, that code of mine isn't quite ready for prime time :-)

Color #  Elf Fighter, Armor3	Dwarf Thief, Armor 2	 Gnome Fighter, Armor 1   Helm 5
0		 Skin				   skin					 skin						  
1		 Hair				   hair					 hair
2		 Metal Armor			Edge of clothes		  belt buckle			  main
3		 Belt & highlights	  Belt & highlights								 edge
4		 Boots & sec. armor	 Boots and main armor	 boots & sash
5		 codpiece			   bracers & codpiece	   pants					studs
6								cowl & pants			 shirt
Well, OK, I guess I can work with this.
Using the metal color for the edge of the cowl on the thief is, well, odd, but I didn't do it :-)

Colors used by BAM
Color   BAM
Blue	 Armor	   
Red	  Belt, Straps, Edging
Green	hair
Yellow   skin
Cyan	 Bracers
Magenta  Main clothes
White	Buckles
Note: because it's paletteized, they might be using other colors, so there might be more tha 7 mapped. Hm. No, the palette seems to be 7 groups of 12 grades for each color I've listed, and that seems to be all they used.

And that's why the PLT file is superior: 254 shades of each color vs 12. much smoother. But over a 128x160 pixel area, who would notice?

Edit: yes, just verified... the MFIEINV uses the BAM in preference to the PLT. And writing a junk BAM just blanks the display.

Did I miss something?

#39 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

Second, in the .BAM form of the paperdolls, there are usually three frames. There are usually two of the top half of the figure and one of the bottom half (although sometimes there is a second one of the bottom). If there is only one top frame or only one frame with the top and bottom combined, then the picture does weird things in-game. Why does the Infinity Engine need the second top (and sometimes bottom) frame?

I don't see what you're talking about. Mfieinv.bam, for example, has two frames (one for the top half, one for the bottom half). As for why it needs two frames, well, the engine can be retarded sometimes. BG1 for example needs you to split your description BAMs into four frames, if you really want to go there... :blink:

Um, ?cefc1inv.BAM? has one sequence (Sequence 0) in which there are four frames (Frame 0, Frame 0, Frame 1, Frame 1). ?cefc2inv.BAM?, ?cefc3inv.BAM?, and ?cdmf4inv.BAM?, as well as most others, follow the same pattern. ?meaeinv.BAM?, on the other hand, has one sequence (Sequence 0) in which there are three frames (Frame0, Frame 0, Frame 1). The ?Frame 0?s are the top half of the figure and the ?Frame 1?s are the bottom half. It seems fairly obvious to me, but just in case: all of these come from BG II.

#40 WizWom

WizWom
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

"And that's why the PLT file is superior: 254 shades of each color vs 12. much smoother." If this is true, then why would the Infinity Engine prefer a .BAM to a .PLT?

Wondrous, absolutely wondrous. Inconsistent.

Note: because it's paletteized, they might be using other colors, so there might be more tha 7 mapped. Hm. No, the palette seems to be 7 groups of 12 grades for each color I've listed, and that seems to be all they used.

And that's why the PLT file is superior: 254 shades of each color vs 12. much smoother. But over a 128x160 pixel area, who would notice?

Did I miss something?

I don't know. Some things use a PLT over a BAM, some things use a BAM before a PLT. it's all very strange. I made a crude MKOBINV.PLT for CA, and it worked fine. But MFIEINV.PLT won't work, because there is a biffed MFIEINV.BAM

Now, BAMs use a palette which lets them blend the 8 colors and maybe transparent, but is sort of posterized to 12 levels. PLTs have finer gradiation of highlight, but no blending. BAMs can be less jaggy, but without alpha channel blending, you get the jaggy effect at the edges, where it's noticed most.

All in all, I call it a wash and a waste of code in the engine to have .PLT files. So, if I'm modding something that uses a PLT already, I'd use a PLT. If something uses a BAM, then I'll use a BAM.