Photo

The Unkillables

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

I seem to be encountering some monsters which are completely unkillable. I can get them down to Near Death, but they won't die at all ... something I've verified with use of the Ctrl-Y cheat. I encountered this once in the Planar Sphere with a Cowled Wizard mage, and now I'm encountering it again with three trolls which spawn after I'm teleported into the Druid Grove forest during the Kidnapping of Boo quest (Unfinished Business, in case you don't know what the hell I'm talking about heh).

I'm assuming that this is some kind of scripting error, since I think all the creatures I've encountered so far with this bug have been added/modified by mods. Anyone know what's going on?

#2 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

the problem with tolmag01 (the mage int he planar sphere) is known, and i've already posted a workaround for it.

i've never heard of the trolls in the Druid's Grove during Boo's kidnapping, and god knows i've doen that component of UB enough times... you sure you don't mean the three (or so...) trolls in the Druid's Grove during the druid stronghold quest? if not, then... err... what the hell are you talking about? do you have G3 Fixpack installed? there's a known problem with the Fixpack and some trolls - could this be the cause?

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#3 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:46 PM

The unkillable trolls in the UB mod are, I believe, a known issue. I'm not sure if there's a workaround available.

Fixpack screws up the trolls that spawn at the entrance of the de'Arnise Keep when you lower the drawbridge (it's fixed for Beta 2). At present I don't think we've made anything else unkillable.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#4 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

When I ask Smethy to teleport me to the Government District and he messes up and accidentally sends me to the druid grove (just outside Troll Mound), Minsc tells me he senses evil approaching and to prepare for battle. Three unkillable trolls then come out of Troll Mound.

I don't have any fixpack installed ... all I have is G3 Tweaks and a few components of BG2 Tweaks.

#5 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

Miraz, if you need quick solution, then cluaconsole Shapechange scroll (scrl9y) and use mindflayer form to deal with unkillable monsters. And, just to be sure, use Time Stop (scrl9r) to make all attacks successful. Thats from DSimpson FAQ.

Retired from modding.

#6 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

Nice idea ... I was just planning on running away like a little girl :D. Thanks!

#7 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

cheers for the info CamDawg.

that encounter hass never happened to me: i've always been teleports directly to the Gov't District. was there another dialogue option you could choose to get around this? (but hey - nice to know it aint BP).

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#8 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:06 AM

Seems to happen every time ... Smethy says "oops, wrong spell" and I get thrown to the Troll Mound. Tried different dialogue options too.

#9 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:37 AM

TorGal in my game was also unkillable (as well some other trolls in Nalia keep).

I had to CLUA in Crom Feyr to kill him instantly after spending half an hour trying to bring him down.

I have BG2 fixpack installed.

Edited by pro5, 06 August 2006 - 01:38 AM.

#10 -ryba-

-ryba-

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:39 AM

Seems to happen every time ... Smethy says "oops, wrong spell" and I get thrown to the Troll Mound. Tried different dialogue options too.

i have the same, but is only only problem with latest version of UB, so if you ony played older version ...
when smethy teleported me to troll mound i teleported myself to the atcatla, imho how it is now in minsc component of UB is stupid, since i havent been to trademeet yet

#11 Torvald

Torvald
  • Validating
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:21 PM

Miraz, if you need quick solution, then cluaconsole Shapechange scroll (scrl9y) and use mindflayer form to deal with unkillable monsters. And, just to be sure, use Time Stop (scrl9r) to make all attacks successful. Thats from DSimpson FAQ.

Thanks for the tip! :Bow: I also ran into an unkillable Ice Troll inside the D/Arnise Keep, and your suggestion of using the Shapechange scroll worked for me. Great news, since the normal Ctrl-Y technique didn't have any affect, and I'd spent a half hour uselessly trying different weapons & spells on that Ice Troll.

P.S. Does anyone know what the CLUA item code for Crom Feyr is? It would be nice to stash that in a backpack, since it would be easier/simpler to pull it out when needed to bash unkillable Trolls, rather than having to use the Shapechange scroll and then hitting Ctrl-T to advance time one hour so my character goes back to his normal shape. :D

"My wife says I have the body of a God - Buddha!"

#12 Torvald

Torvald
  • Validating
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:22 PM

P.S. Does anyone know what the CLUA item code for Crom Feyr is? It would be nice to stash that in a backpack, since it would be easier/simpler to pull it out when needed to bash unkillable Trolls, rather than having to use the Shapechange scroll and then hitting Ctrl-T to advance time one hour so my character goes back to his normal shape. :D

Well, the mind flayer trick worked on the unkillable troll on the main level of the De'Arnise Keep. However, it would not work on three unkillable trolls in the dungeon, including the boss troll TorGal. :(

I was able use the Shadow Keeper utility, though, to temporarily give one of my NPCs the Crom Feyr weapon - this worked just fine, so I was able to finish the quest. Hurray! :D

#13 Dunderdon

Dunderdon
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:50 AM

it is Hamm09.

Now I'm gonna kill some trolls... :whistling:

#14 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

The MindFlayer trick also works to get around some unkillable characters, like Arkanis Gath the Story Teller Tool. The creators of the game obviously never planned for this technique in their implementation.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#15 Torvald

Torvald
  • Validating
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

The MindFlayer trick also works to get around some unkillable characters, like Arkanis Gath the Story Teller Tool. The creators of the game obviously never planned for this technique in their implementation.

Hi,

I've just run into some more unkillable characters, this time in the Throne of Bhaal. :(

Draconis seemed to be unkillable at first and would never change into his dragon form. Tried all kinds of tricks, and what finally worked was to ctrl-Y him immediately after he first spoke. That changed him into dragon form, and my party then quickly chopped him into dead meat. :D

However, I'm now stuck in my critical path game progression because Abazigal is also acting unkillable. He also stayed in human form at first, but using Ctrl-Y right away also changed him into dragon form. However, no more luck after that. Further use of Ctrl-Y and changing myself into the mindflayer did not work. Spent an hour trying all kinds of spell combinations, different weapons, Crom Faeyr, etc., but no luck; the most damaged he ever gets is the dreaded "Near Death". Since I MUST kill Abazigal in order to advance to the next required plot point, I really need your help/advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I could try in order to kill Abazigal and trigger the next cutscene?

#16 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

Hi,

I've just run into some more unkillable characters, this time in the Throne of Bhaal. :(

Draconis seemed to be unkillable at first and would never change into his dragon form. Tried all kinds of tricks, and what finally worked was to ctrl-Y him immediately after he first spoke. That changed him into dragon form, and my party then quickly chopped him into dead meat. :D

However, I'm now stuck in my critical path game progression because Abazigal is also acting unkillable. He also stayed in human form at first, but using Ctrl-Y right away also changed him into dragon form. However, no more luck after that. Further use of Ctrl-Y and changing myself into the mindflayer did not work. Spent an hour trying all kinds of spell combinations, different weapons, Crom Faeyr, etc., but no luck; the most damaged he ever gets is the dreaded "Near Death". Since I MUST kill Abazigal in order to advance to the next required plot point, I really need your help/advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I could try in order to kill Abazigal and trigger the next cutscene?

Timestop with a few greater whirlwind attacks usually works pretty well, at least in vanilla ToB,,, :P

It takes a village...

#17 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:41 AM

Hi,

Timestop with a few greater whirlwind attacks usually works pretty well, at least in vanilla ToB,,, :P

I think you'll find he's untimestopable :whistling:

#18 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

I think you'll find he's untimestopable

Aren't Melissan, Demogorgon, Ravager (?) and Balthazar the only untimestopable ones in original game? I thought they are.

Edited by GeN1e, 13 January 2007 - 04:10 PM.

Retired from modding.

#19 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

Can someone explain the underlying issue with these unkillables? Is there a problem with the CREs? I would like to address these issues in my game with NI.

#20 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:51 AM

It's a problem between BG2 Fixpack and BP.