Older versions archive part 2: Betas

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#1 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 11:31 AM

Note: This topic has been archived and locked. Any further discussion should go into the new threads.

This is an intermediate revision that contains some of my planned features for v3.00 (which can not be released so soon). It can be considered as FINAL, meaning that there should be no critical bugs present in the certified mods (Rogue Rebalancing Mod, Elven Charm/Sleep resistance fix and Quicker Startout). The Chosen of Cyric component remains in BETA stages however, and it will be finalized on another occasion.

As always, you can download the latest version from my homepage

This revision (v2.41) contains some new features and adds a couple of new components to the list of my mods. You can report bugs or other issues either in this thread or send them to me via e-mail. Here is a short summary of the features that are included in this version, for a complete list of features from the older revisions visit this thread

Installation:
=========

***IMPORTANT*** This version (v2.41) is NOT compatible with some of my previous mod revisions. Do NOT install it on top of an older version! Instead, uninstall the older version first and then manually delete the 'Setup-aPack.exe' file and the 'aPack' folder from you BG2 main directory. Only then can you attempt the standard installation procedure.

The standard installation procedure should be automatically activated if double clicked on the self-extracting archive (aPack.exe) and pointed the installer to your BG2 folder. If you have not used the self-extracting archive then manually copy the files form this archive to your BG2 folder and start 'Setup-aPack.exe'.

Component list:
===========

[1] Rogue ReBalancing (v2.41)
---------------------------------------

This mod will grant proper Dual Wielding to the BG2 Rogues (Bards and Thieves), add more magical bucklers to the game and rebalance some of the Bard and Thief kits as well. Here are the main mod features:
  • All Bards and Thieves may now assign three points in Two Weapon Fighting

• Swashbuckler THAC0 progression has been improved

• Bounty Hunter snares have been tweaked. They now deal more physical damage which improves up to 16d6 at level 40

• Bounty Hunters now gain a new ability called Tranquilizing Shot every eight levels and may pick the Tracking HLA

• The default Bard song has been improved

• Enhanced Bard songs have been changed, each Bard kit now gets a specific Enhanced song

• Bards now gain new Chant HLAs instead of Set X Traps

• All Bards may now summon a Spirit Warrior via Magic Flute HLA once per day

• Blades are now automatically proficient in Two Weapon Fighting

• Blades gain a new special ability called Weapons Display

• Blades no longer get the Enhanced Bard Song HLA

• The missing Pick Pocket penalty for Blades is now properly implemented

• Jesters gain two new innate abilities: Fool's Luck and A Jester's Mind

• More enchanted Bucklers have been added to the game

• Some of the lost BG1 items (like the Dagger of Venom and Kiel's Buckler) can now be reacquired

• The Short Sword of Backstabbing has been improved to match its PnP counterpart
More info in ..\aPack\Doc\aRogue.txt

[2] Shadow Thief Improvements (v1.01)
---------------------------------------------------

In Chapter 2 of BG2:SoA the player is given a choice - to join the Shadow Thieves and fight Bodhi's Guild or to join Bodhi and fight the Shadow Thief Guild. Fact is, the ST Guild offered very little challenge especially when compared to the Vampire lair. Therefore, this mod will improve all of the Shadow Thieves which the player encounters while working for Bodhi.
  • Improves the Shadow Thief allies which you can recruit against Bodhi in Chapter 6

• Improves the hostile Shadow Thief Guild in CH3 (if you side with Bodhi)
More info in ..\aPack\Doc\aShadow.txt

[3] Elven Charm/Sleep resistance fix (v2.16)
--------------------------------------------------------

This mod restores the missing racial features of Elves, Half-Elves and Half-Orcs.
  • Elven characters gain 90% resistance to all sleep and charm related spells

• Half-Elven characters gain 30% resistance to all sleep and charm related spells

• Half-Orcs gain Infravision
v2.16 note:
---------------

This component was recently included in Kevin Dorner's BG2/ToB Fixpack. Kevin additionally refined the mod so it now gives better feedback and removes the Charm/Sleep spell animations and icons as well. Here is a part from his readme:

"This fix was originally created by aVENGER, and I added to it by suppressing the spell animation and portrait icons if the character resists a charm or sleep-type spell effect, as well as adding battletext feedback if the effect is resisted through the immunity rather than through a successful saving throw.

As well, I fixed some small bugs with the original spells: three with saving throws did not apply the saving throws to the "expiry" sound played when the spell wears off, which means that it would play even if the spell was resisted by a saving throw. It will still play, however, if the spell is resisted through the now-provided immunity. As well, one of the spells with a -3 penalty had a -6 penalty to its animation, so it would appear successful even when the save was made. None of the small errors affected the spells' effects.

This fix will take effect immediately, without having to start a new game. It will affect all elves, whether PC, NPC, neutral or enemy. It will also affect Drow." You can contact Kevin on his website - http://www.baldurdash.org

More info in ..\aPack\Doc\aTraits.txt

[4] Quicker Startout (v2.02)
---------------------------------

- This mod shortens Gaelan Bayle's initial Chapter 2 dialogue and the two cutscenes which follow. It is intended to be used by players who have already seen the cutscenes, and simply do not wish to endure the wait each time they start a new game and enter Chapter 2.

More info in ..\aPack\Doc\aQuicks.txt

[5] Chosen of Cyric Encounter *BETA* (v0.68)
----------------------------------------------------------

- A new mod component which adds a challenging encounter with a party of Cyric's Chosen. The encounter is intended for a six person party with an experiance range of 2500000-3500000. It takes place in chapter six, right after the player defeats Bodhi. Currently, it is in very early development stages and the only purpose for its release is the public testing of my combat AI scripts. In order to trigger the battle You have to be at the graveyard area (AR0800) and you must have the Lanthorn item in your inventory (which you can create using the CLUAConsole:CreateItem("C6LANTHORN") command). Also, the game difficulty must be set to 'CORE RULES' or higher for the encounter to take place. Be warned, once you start this encounter you can not go back until you defeat the opposing party.

More info in ..\aPack\Doc\aCyric.txt

[6] Kit descriptions Uninstaller (v1.01)
----------------------------------------------

- This is obviously not a mod but an uninstaller for the custom kit descriptions which I use in my Rogue ReBalancing mod. These can not be removed by simply uninstalling the said mod, not until Weimer implements the uninstall function for the STRING_SET command in WeiDU. Use this component to restore the original BG2 kit descriptions by "installing" the uninstaller component :) Note: This should ONLY be used if you intend to uninstall my Rogue ReBalancing mod. To do so, "install" the Kit descriptions Uninstaller component after you have regularly uninstalled the Rogue ReBalancing mod.

Compatibility:
==========

This mod compilation is in WeiDU format therefore it should be compatible with most other WeiDU mods. To ensure maximum compatibility, always install this mod after any other mods you may have. Some component specific compatibility issues are listed in the respective text files located in the ..\aPack\Doc folder.

======

e-mail: fallen_avenger@angelfire.com
web site: http://www.gamesector.co.yu/avenger
forums: http://www.shsforums.net (look for the 'Rogue ReBalancing' board room)

#2 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 03:56 PM

I wonder if my Bounty Hunter will get the Tranquilizing Shot at his next level up now... (he'll be maxed at 40)
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#3 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 04:21 PM

I can assure you that you will get the improved Special Snares. I'm not so certain about the Tranquilizer though...

BTW, it would be very helpful if those who tried it could post their opinions of my 'Chosen of Cyric Encounter' especially regarding AI difficulty and potential bugs. Note that the scripts are still being worked on so the difficulty level should be a bit higher in the final release.

#4 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 12:32 PM

I started a new game, Yoshi (level 11, I beleive) never got a single tranquilizer yet. Is that normal? And I also think some prices on items are unbeleivibly low. The Reurning Frost Dart, IMO, should be at least the price of the Firetooth Throwing Dagger.
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#5 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 11:03 AM

Sorry about that!

It seams that a slight spelling error in my .tp2 caused this to happen. It also erroneously replaced the special snares with a completely different ability :( I fixed this and it should now work as planned. You can download the fixed aPack_beta v2.26 here.

#6 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 12:35 PM

there's a problem reinstalling (or uninstalling) that component now... "cannot resolve label"

#7 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 06:34 PM

Hmmm...that's strange, I have experianced no such problems.
Try uninstalling the previous revision (2.25) and deleting it's files from your Bg2 folder and then install v2.26.

This version (v2.26) is NOT compatible with any of my previous mod revisions. Do NOT install it on top of an older version! Instead, un install the older version first and then manually delete the 'Setup-aPack.exe' file and the 'aPack' folder from you BG2 main directory. Only then can you attempt the standard installation procedure.

#8 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 06:58 PM

I've done that many times... maybe the upload corrupted some how... (but I'd assume you test what you upload)

#9 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 07:05 PM

I have a hint of what might be wrong...go to your BG2\override folder and delete this file - BMTHIEF.DLG an try to reinstall the mod after that.
In any case send me the installer log SETUP-APACK.DEBUG via email so that I can analyze it.

#10 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 07:08 PM

I just uploaded a pic. I'll do what you just said in a moment

http://www.geocities.com/tq4h/a.txt

#11 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 07:09 PM

and it worked.

#12 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 07:26 PM

Glad to hear that :)

This issue happens only if that particular file somehow remains in the override folder after my mod in uninstalled. Now, this shouldn't happen normally but sometimes the installer can mess up things especially when the mod has been rapidly installed/uninstalled. I'll try to fix this in a later revision.

BTW, I couldn't read the file you posted in that link. Try sending me SETUP-APACK.DEBUG via email (you can access it in my profile)

#13 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 04:20 AM

Update:
-----------

I've resolved some more issues and the Beta has just gone public !

Since I'm most interested in players testing the AI scripts of my Chosen of Cyric encounter, I'll provide an easy way of triggering the encounter in five short steps:

STEP 1

Install the 'Chosen of Cyric' component of my mod.

STEP 2

If you have completed BG2-SoA at least once, then you have a 'Final Save' which is a savegame placed in hell right before using the Tears of Bhaal. Load this savegame and you should have a party of six characters with approximately 2.95 million XP each.

STEP 3

Group select your entire party and move it to the graveyard area by using this CLUAConsole command:

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR0800")

STEP 4

Set the game difficulty to 'CORE RULES' (middle slider setting) or higher. Create the Lanthorn item in your inventory by using this CLUAConsole command:

CLUAConsole:Createitem("C6LANTHORN")

STEP 5

Wait for the following cutscenes to end and start the battle. Note: you can not leave the area until you defeat the opposing party.

#14 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 02:55 PM

I just played the encounter... past the SoA experience cap and lost. I resorted to Ctrl-Y'ing them and got two idea (the first of which should be ignored)

-Why have them prepare? And the invisability/heal a lot I think is truly evil.

-Why grab all those new items while automatically knowing what they are? I think they should be unidentified when dropped.

And I was shocked at the fact I got transported to the gates. And nice before-fight dialogue, BTW! I got a kick out of the Amnish Soldier.

#15 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:11 PM

I just played the encounter... past the SoA experience cap and lost. I resorted to Ctrl-Y'ing them and got two idea (the first of which should be ignored)

Hehe, yes the fight is difficult but not impossible. It can be beaten without using any lvl 9 spells, ToB high level abilities or bonus merchant items or any other mod equipment. Check out the 'hints' section of aCyric.txt for details.

Why grab all those new items while automatically knowing what they are? I think they should be unidentified when droppe

That is currently so because I'm not sure that all of the items would work (for the enemies) if unidentified. I will fix this in the next revision if this proves possible.

EDIT - fixed! You can now download v2.28 from my homepage.

Why have them prepare? And the invisability/heal a lot I think is truly evil.

They are rogues...they play dirty...it is an ambush :D BTW, the invis/heal is not auto-scripted, they really do use the items and you can disrupt this action if you are quick. All in all, the battle is almost completely cheese free, the only time I use Forced Spells is to emulate the triggers,contingencies and Venduris' Detect Illusion. You can check out the enemy scripts with Infinity Explorer or some similar tool and see for yourself.

And I was shocked at the fact I got transported to the gates. And nice before-fight dialogue, BTW! I got a kick out of the Amnish Soldier.

Thanks! Glad you liked it but it's only the beginning this will eventually grow into a full scale quest with regular dialogue. BTW, thank you again for helping me test the mod :) Also, what do you think of the overall writing and my custom item descriptions ?

#16 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 11:08 AM

*insert thumbs up emoticon here*

#17 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 11:32 PM

Heh, thanks :lol:

BTW, has anyone installed the updated Elven Charm/Sleep fix ? It has been slightly improved, but I and Kevin haven't had that much time to test it.

#18 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 09:09 AM

I installed that. Never really noticed much, but that's probably because I rarely have elves in my party. (Does Haer'Dalis count as an elf?)

#19 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 10:01 AM

Nope, he is a Tiefling (half-fiend) so the Charm/Sleep resistances don't apply for him. The NPCs Aerie, Viconia and Jaheira are affected as well as all enemy and neutral Elves that you encounter in the game (including Drow).

#20 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 10:25 AM

I'll see how Aerie and Jaheira handle sleep and charm...