• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 12:05 AM

Simple enough topic. What do you want to talk to Imoen about? Good ideas might make it in, crap ideas will not. It would be worth explaining WHY your idea should make it into the mod.

#2 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 05:22 AM

One thing I think that wasn't covered in any great depth was Imeons reaction to finding out what she actually was. She seems to react more to the torture then her biological parentage. I'd be up for an expansion and perhaps a soul searching in some regards as we've already seen how the taint might affect her in the future.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#3 ak404

ak404

One-Armed Drunken Kensei

• 111 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 01:00 AM

Well, if the PC is a paladin, you can always put in a blurb about him being Imoen's "knight in shining armor" when they were kids. Being that they'd be the only kids in Candlekeep, it's plausible.

If the PC is a thief, then reminisce about the fun they had sneaking around Candlekeep.

#4 Sparhawk

Sparhawk
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 10:18 AM

Hmmm, I think it would be interesting to find out why she gave up on thieving and decided to study magic. I know quite a few people probably dualled her in BGI, but I think it could make for some interesting conversation to hear it from Imoen's perspective. I know her ability scores sort of encourage her being a mage, but she just doesn't seem to be the type to sit and study (though she does make a comment in Irenicus' dungeon that leads you to believe you were one cutting classes, not her).

My idea of a mage can be visualized in a scene from the first Lord of the Rings movie - the part where Gandalf is reading through dusty tomes to try to discover if Bilbo's ring was Sauron's Ring of Power. Yes, there is a time to put your knowledge into action, but the researching just doesn't seem like Imoen to me.

#5 souvuelle

souvuelle
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 10:33 PM

Hmmm, I think it would be interesting to find out why she gave up on thieving and decided to study magic. I know quite a few people probably dualled her in BGI, but I think it could make for some interesting conversation to hear it from Imoen's perspective. I know her ability scores sort of encourage her being a mage, but she just doesn't seem to be the type to sit and study (though she does make a comment in Irenicus' dungeon that leads you to believe you were one cutting classes, not her).

My idea of a mage can be visualized in a scene from the first Lord of the Rings movie - the part where Gandalf is reading through dusty tomes to try to discover if Bilbo's ring was Sauron's Ring of Power. Yes, there is a time to put your knowledge into action, but the researching just doesn't seem like Imoen to me.

Yes but you also have to think about the mechanics of the creators, they were trying to move a 2nd edition game into a 3rd edition format. Since you cannot dual class a thief into a sorcerer, you have to go with the next best thing. I tend to think of Imoen as more of a sorcerer than a mage myself, but given game mechanics you have to go by the rules. In addition, not all mages are dust covered researchers. Take for example Milamber AKA Pug from the Rift War Saga. There were times when he researched but mostly he lived for the adventure.

#6 Slayne

Slayne
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:44 PM

Perhaps have her try and drag you into some of the mischief she likes to cause. She pickpockets Keldorn at one point in TOB, perhaps have her pull some other stunts on other npcs or some actions depending on what area your in or such.

#7 Sparhawk

Sparhawk
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:23 AM

Hmmm, I think it would be interesting to find out why she gave up on thieving and decided to study magic.  I know quite a few people probably dualled her in BGI, but I think it could make for some interesting conversation to hear it from Imoen's perspective.  I know her ability scores sort of encourage her being a mage, but she just doesn't seem to be the type to sit and study (though she does make a comment in Irenicus' dungeon that leads you to believe you were one cutting classes, not her).  

My idea of a mage can be visualized in a scene from the first Lord of the Rings movie - the part where Gandalf is reading through dusty tomes to try to discover if Bilbo's ring was Sauron's Ring of Power.  Yes, there is a time to put your knowledge into action, but the researching just doesn't seem like Imoen to me.

Yes but you also have to think about the mechanics of the creators, they were trying to move a 2nd edition game into a 3rd edition format. Since you cannot dual class a thief into a sorcerer, you have to go with the next best thing. I tend to think of Imoen as more of a sorcerer than a mage myself, but given game mechanics you have to go by the rules. In addition, not all mages are dust covered researchers. Take for example Milamber AKA Pug from the Rift War Saga. There were times when he researched but mostly he lived for the adventure.

True, not all mages are dust covered researchers. But, perhaps from the PC's perspective, they just may be that - well at least at the beginning of BGI. He lived in a library. People came to read and study. I'm not sure he / she would have seen Gorion throwing a lot of power around for the sake of throwing it around.

I guess the more I think about it, perhaps a bard would have been more appropriate for Imoen? Combines the magic, the affinity to cut a purse here and there (if she could get away with it :rolleyes: ), and Imoen's "girls just want to have fun" kind of attitude.

But, she ain't a bard. I still think it would be interesting to further discuss her choice to pursue magic. It just doesn't seem like Imoen to me. I don't know, mages just seem to have an intensity about them that she doesn't have. They also seem to take themselves quite seriously while Imoen seems a bit more, shall we say, down to earth? (I know, more generalizations about mages. :D )

#8 SakuraNeko

SakuraNeko
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 11:08 PM

Simple enough topic.  What do you want to talk to Imoen about?  Good ideas might make it in, crap ideas will not.  It would be worth explaining WHY your idea should make it into the mod.

Mostly just Willow/Xander style best friend banter I guess. Ancedotes from friendlier times.

Heh, sorry for not being more specific :P

#9 Tassica

Tassica
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 05:44 PM

Personally, I'd like to see conversations available between Imoen and the PC about the PC's romantic interest. I don't mean interest in Imoen herself (that's fodder for another thread, obviously), just a bit of sisterly teasing about Charname's relationship with Kelsey, Anomen or whomever among the females. I know my sister never lets up on teasing me about my relationships. I just think it would be an interesting touch.

#10 jurts

jurts
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 11:30 PM

Indeed, Imoen must be interested why my PC was spending two whole months, wallowing with Jaheira in piles of hay, instead of rushing to rescue her... not that my PC would regret the latter, mind you... :rolleyes:

#11 ak404

ak404

One-Armed Drunken Kensei

• 111 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 12:47 PM

Yikes, it took you two months?

Usually, it takes me as many as 30 days to get to Brynnlaw, but oh well...you get faster with practice. If a romancable character is in the party, perhaps a more pointed conversation would be why the PC hasn't romanced so-and-so yet.

#12 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 08:45 PM

You can go to Brynnlaw as soon as you assemble 15,000 gold. This seems advisable to me, as Imoen can certainly use the XP from all the side quests better than whoever you have holding her place.

And, if I remember some things Quitch said a while ago correctly, you'd better start taking less than two months to get there--iirc, one of the effects of the Imoen Relationship Mod will be that dragging your heels to rescue Imoen will result in there being nothing left to rescue.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#13 ak404

ak404

One-Armed Drunken Kensei

• 111 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 08:39 PM

See, there's the problem I've got: as soon as I get 15,000 gold, I want to get the good equipment, and then I end up with no gold.

Ah well. :lol:

But yeah, I remember my first time playing...took me 3 months to get to Imoen. I still consider a month to be dragging my heels but can't get to Brynnlaw any sooner than that.

#14 jurts

jurts
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:33 PM

Same thing here... the first couple of times, I really made her wait... Jah's romance and the Fighter stronghold both take a lot of time to complete and I had this silly misconception that I must complete them before Spellhold... :rolleyes:

Now I get through all the SoA part in under 2 months, doing every possible side quest...

#15 souvuelle

souvuelle
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:21 PM

Personally, I rush to pick up Imoen as well and almost never get involved with a romance until after I leave the underdark. I'd like to see what Imoen has to say about flirting with the other NPC's. I know my sister would always give it to me straight about how she felt about my love interests and furthermore suggest love interests for me if I gave her the chance to. I'd also like to talk to her about what Jon did to her while he had her locked up. It's a gruesome topic but it's definately something I wouldn't let my sister keep inside and dwell on by herself. I'm pretty easy to please though; as long as I get a lot of dialogue, I wouldnt' care if we were talking about fluffy bunnies and Baal-spawn chickens. :D

#16 Riona

Riona
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 09:26 AM

I know her ability scores sort of encourage her being a mage, but she just doesn't seem to be the type to sit and study (though she does make a comment in Irenicus' dungeon that leads you to believe you were one cutting classes, not her).

That comment annoyed me, considering my character was a mage (fighter/mage, to be precise) way back when she lived at Candlekeep. How dare the game make presumptions about my character! ;)

I have to agree with Tassica that I would not mind Imoen asking a few questions about my character's relationship with Anomen (or whoever the PC is romancing), and perhaps throwing in some gentle teasing as well. So please, put that in. :)
"Figured it out, yet?"

#17 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:52 PM

Rape and romance are so much more interesting, eh?

#18 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 06:24 AM

Lol Quitch.

Anyway perhaps some chat about the local area, or maybe some complaints.

Also maybe talking about what they plan to do when all this is over.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 -Solar-

-Solar-

Posted 23 August 2003 - 07:42 PM

If the PC is a thief, they (Imoen and PC) could discuss thieving techniques, just like the Nameless One and Annah in PS:T.

If the PC is a mage, they could talk about arcane philosophy and paradigms. It would be interesting to find out how Imoen views her magic.

If the PC is a warrior, you could have a conversation where the PC gives Imoen some tips on how to defend herself.

If the PC has a familiar, I'm sure Imoen would love to play with it. ;)

#20 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 01:37 AM

I think it's safe to say that thieves will have plenty to discuss with Imoen, be it improving their skills, or improving hers.