Photo

shouldn't have doubted the vegi man

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lemernis

Lemernis
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

Heh! I didn't think Hublepot had it in him, but he just defeated Faldorn. Not bad for a simple village druid who just took up the adventuring life. And now he's about to get a statue made in his honor.

I have Divine Remix installed and that did help some. Hub first cast Insect Plague, then summoned a dryad; he then quickly used his Sanctuary special ability to get out of harm's way and let the dryad take her attacks. The dryad may have gotten a bit lucky when I had her successfully Hold Faldorn. But then it was all over. The dryad used up all her spells, though a number failed as Faldorn was attacking her. Once the Faldorn was Held, Hub used his Poison special ability, then cast Faerie Fire and Curse to weaken her. Then he cast Moonblade to finish her off. Dead in just a few rounds.

I was surprised, as I have Hub mainly healing and casting spells that assist the party (some of them described above). He's very much in the support role. It would be neat to add some dialogue that fires after such a victory. And when you volunteer Hub to fight Faldorn, for that matter. I'd imagine this would be a big deal for the party cook!

#2 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

Yep. We've got some stuff written for the next round, based on play tests. It does seem wrong for Hub to shrug off a battle like this, for a number of reasons.

I was surprised, too, when Hub started being helpful as a fighter.

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#3 Fishcake

Fishcake
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

Faerie Fire?!!

is that in Divine Remix or does Hub get it?

Damn I love that spell, pretty all my first level spells in PnP are Faerie Fire :P

if it comes with Divine Remix, where can I get it?

Many thanks,

Fridgecake

Ps, I'll play on with my hub game soon, just got my copy of fm 2007 so bear with me :P

#4 Lemernis

Lemernis
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:45 PM

Faerie Fire is great, love that spell too. I liked the spell animation better the way DSotSC did it (it was kind of purplish IIRC), but whatever it's pretty cool. Here's the link for Divine Remix:

http://www.gibberlin...leric/index.php

From the readme:

"New divine spells include: Alicorn Lance, Beast Claw, Cause Blindness or Deafness, Cause Disease, Cause Light Wounds, Cause Medium Wounds, Conjure Air Elemental, Cure Blindness or Deafness, Curse, Detect Good, Divine Shell, Energy Drain, Faerie Fire, Impervious Sanctity of Mind, Impregnable Mind, Moonblade, Protection from Good, Protection from Good 10', Resist Acid and Corrosion, Strength of Stone, and Sunscorch."

#5 Fishcake

Fishcake
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

Yeah my mate coded a version of, I doubt its the one on divine remix, as he doesn't usually post what he makes.

But yeah it is such a great spell, +2 to hit, is so good in PnP, dunno about BG, but if I remember correctly, it stops people going invisible, as the outline remains there, dunno if it does it in game, but its very useful, and normally druids don't get CLW at 1st level.. :P

#6 Lemernis

Lemernis
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, the AD&D PnP spell sounds nice with that +2 to hit. Divine Remix's version of the spell lowers the target's AC by 2, probably due to game balance issues (computer game). The spell got nerfed even more in editions 3.0 and 3.5 where it simply illuminates targets that are difficulty to see by virtue of invisibility, blur, etc.

#7 Fishcake

Fishcake
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

Yeah I play 2nd Edition..

only bit I don't like of divine remix, is my abjurer wouldn't be able to use MMM, so I think I will leave that for now, then when I start again with Hub I'll bolt it on, give him some awesome spells.. :P

#8 Lemernis

Lemernis
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

Hehe! Hub managed to get in the killing blow on Thaxll'ssyllia, the Shade Dragon. He just went from 1% of the total XP value of kills for the party to 9% in a single battle. Hail Hub the dragon slayer!

Amber is in the party, and she managed to blind the dragon with her demon eyes. Maybe the dragon's Magic Resistance doesn't protect against that, since she's a planar being? Or perhaps Thaxll'ssyllia was vulnerable to Amber's gaze after Jan cast Breach and Remove Magic. Jan cast Hold Monster also, and there are no further attacks from the Shade Dragon after that. However, the feedback bar didn't say whether the dragon was successfully Held or saved. But it wasn't perfectly motionless. More like just standing there dazed.

My wild mage, using the Spellshaper custom kit (from the excellent Wild Mage Additions mod), had also cast the custom spell Vile Word of Discord, which may also have been responsible.

Anyway the dragon was blinded by Amber, the feedback bar did say that. Then the party moved in to give him a serious beat down.

#9 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:48 AM

See!

There is a lesson here.

Listen to your parents when they tell you that you should eat your vegetables so you will grow up big and strong!.........

........like Hublepot!

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#10 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

Who wouldn't want to be like Hubelpot?

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#11 Fishcake

Fishcake
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

Hub is the underestimated character of BG2. just started my new game with him, and faerie fire makes him so much more powerful and useful infact.

Maybe it could be added if the original author of the spell, who I have no idea who he is, would allow us to package it with Hub in future versions....

#12 Lemernis

Lemernis
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:17 AM

I've recently resumed the same game I had to set aside last year in chapter 2. Last night I got a chuckle out of the fact that Hublepot again got the kill on a dragon, heh! This time it was Firkraag.

My game is heavily modded. The PC is a Wild Mage using the 'Wild Mage Additions' mod's Spellshaper kit. After the PC and Jan Jansen removed spell protections and lowered the red dragon's magic resistance, the PC cast the mod's custom spell 'Corporeal Instability' on Firky. That turned Firkraag into an ooze that can only take damage from magical energy. So Hublepot used Divine Remix's 'Moonblade' spell--and once again Hub managed to deliver the fatal blow.

At this rate the humble vegetable merchant from Athkatla would probably end up becoming more famous than the PC! :P

Btw, I loved the scripting for his reaction the dragon lair. Something like "Wonderful, now we're all gonna die," or words to that effect, hehe!

#13 Diana

Diana
  • Modder
  • 341 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:03 PM

Btw, I loved the scripting for his reaction the dragon lair. Something like "Wonderful, now we're all gonna die," or words to that effect, hehe!

That was one of the lines voiced by NotMrT, a great loss to the IE modding community. It would have been rarely heard and this was an appropriate spot for that sound file. I wish we could have had him voice more of the songs in the mod.

#14 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:19 PM

That was one of the lines voiced by NotMrT, a great loss to the IE modding community. It would have been rarely heard and this was an appropriate spot for that sound file. I wish we could have had him voice more of the songs in the mod.

Me too.