Photo

Ultra Busted

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

An entire week of installing and uninstalling BP etc to no avail led to a total uninstall, reformating the HD it had been on, registry mechanic to make sure it was reeaaally gone. Then a fresh BG2 ToB install, Patch, and for the first time, everything installed flawlessly... or so it seemed.
But after starting a new game, saving and having lunch, I restarted to find my PC is in a purple circle, rather than green, and quite unselectable.
So I loaded a save game I'd kept from the previous crippled install, to find that the Cerebral Knight Paladin fellow who wants you to fight the Psions at the Hall of Wisdom, or whatever it's called, is now named Pestilent Dawn, he's a fallen Paladin (what would his mother say?) and his dialogue is all descriptions of magical items. While Kachiko is still Kachiko, her bio is now part of someone else's dialogue, and her interjections are from some other NPC I haven't met yet's introductory monologue.

What is going on here? Everything seemed to install smoothly, but clearly didn't. Are these classic bugs, or am I breaking new ground.

Oh yeah, it also freezes when loading saves, and I have to unplug the machine because it doesn't respond to anything else, and sometimes it just CTD's.

Any suggestions beyond "learn to like solitaire"?

#2 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:22 PM

An entire week of installing and uninstalling BP etc to no avail led to a total uninstall, reformating the HD it had been on, registry mechanic to make sure it was reeaaally gone. Then a fresh BG2 ToB install, Patch, and for the first time, everything installed flawlessly... or so it seemed.
But after starting a new game, saving and having lunch, I restarted to find my PC is in a purple circle, rather than green, and quite unselectable.
So I loaded a save game I'd kept from the previous crippled install, to find that the Cerebral Knight Paladin fellow who wants you to fight the Psions at the Hall of Wisdom, or whatever it's called, is now named Pestilent Dawn, he's a fallen Paladin (what would his mother say?) and his dialogue is all descriptions of magical items. While Kachiko is still Kachiko, her bio is now part of someone else's dialogue, and her interjections are from some other NPC I haven't met yet's introductory monologue.

What is going on here? Everything seemed to install smoothly, but clearly didn't. Are these classic bugs, or am I breaking new ground.

Oh yeah, it also freezes when loading saves, and I have to unplug the machine because it doesn't respond to anything else, and sometimes it just CTD's.

Any suggestions beyond "learn to like solitaire"?

Umm, "post your WeiDU log"?

It takes a village...

#3 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:09 PM

Doh! (Meaty smack as DC hits forhead)

Here are some files.

#4 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

Here are some files.

#5 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

Here are some files.

Crap!! No there aren't, and I can't figure out why. I'll try again later when I'm not an idiot.

#6 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

Crap!! No there aren't, and I can't figure out why. I'll try again later when I'm not an idiot.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #105 // Additional Hero Quests in Trademeet Wait Until Hero is Officially Named
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes
~SETUP RGENIE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ribald's Genie
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Infinite Weapon, Potion and Ring/Amulet Stacking
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Multi-Class Grand Mastery
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #3 // True Grand Mastery (extra half-attack, etc.) (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth"
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings (etc.)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #12 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring and Spell-Trap Animation
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #13 // Unlimited Bag of Holding (Blucher)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #14 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #15 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #21 // Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #22 // Romance: PC can romance one NPC (regardless of race/gender).
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #23 // Romance: PC can romance multiple NPCs concurrently, but must say the right things.
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #24 // Romance: PC can romance multiple NPCs concurrently and can say anything without ending a romance.
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #28 // Rest Anywhere (Japheth)
~SETUP-SOS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Over Soubar, v1.10
~SETUP-SOS-FIX1.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Over Soubar, v105 WeiDU - PATCH #5
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Darkest Day, v1.11
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #1 // TDD Character Kits
~SETUP-TS-BP.TP2~ #0 #0 // TORTURED SOULS v6.04.02 (BP Compatible Version)
~SETUP-FR_ROV.TP2~ #0 #0 // Freedom's Reign (SoA or ToB)
~SETUP-FR_ROV.TP2~ #0 #1 // Reign of Virtue (ToB)
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #0 // Big Picture AI/Enhancement Mod, version 176 weidu (beta)
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #1 // Improved Suldanessallar
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #2 // Improved Spellhold
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #3 // Wand of Orcus Add-In
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #4 // Improved Small Teeth Pass, by Kensai Ryu
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #6 // Kensai Ryu's Improved Crypt King
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #7 // Kensai Ryu's Gnome Fighter/Illusionist in the Docks
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #8 // Improved Random Encounters, by Gebhard Blucher and Kensai Ryu
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #9 // Gebhard Blucher's Lich in the Docks
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #10 // Red Badge, Poison-Based Encounter, by Westley Weimer
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #11 // Kuroisan the Acid Kensai, by Westley Weimer
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #12 // The Ritual, by Westley Weimer
~SETUP-BPV176.TP2~ #0 #14 // Ascension for BP

#7 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:13 AM

the messed up saved game is completely normal, and completely unavoidable - if you do a reinstall, you'll ruin yr previous saved games (unless you reinstall everything in exactly the same order it was in the first install).

as for the purple charname: how far thru the game were you? if you'd just started, had you reached the bit where imoen releases you from the cage? if not - start a new game and see what happens. hell, start a new game anyway and see what happens.

if that doesn't work: yr looking at yet another reinstall. this time, make sure to follow the correct install order:

1. Full BG2 TOB with patch
2. BG2 Fixpack (you made it this far correctly)
3. Big mods like SoS, TDD, TS-BP (any order)
* but: upgrade to the most recent releases. the old releases are old cos they had bugs in them. if you install them and find bugs, well, it's hardly a surprise, hey? SoS is up to v1.11 - and don't install that patch! it's v1.05.. and you used SoS v1.10... again, hardly surprising if you had bugs. TS-BP is up to v6.04.09.
4. then other mods like Ribalds Genie, etc.
5. BP v177 (v176 is mostly stable; v177 is much much better. v177 is a final release version).
6. BG2 Tweaks. stay well away from Ease of Use - it's horribly old and breaks, well, everything. use BG2 Tweaks, which has superceded Ease of use. BG2 Tweaks is new, stable and will break nothing. note that BG2 Tweaks goes after BP.
7. BP-BGT worldmap v6.3

and then you won't have the issues you encountered.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#8 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:21 AM

Unless you're very determined to use it, you might want to avoid installaing FR-ROV.
It EXTEND_TOPs ar0602.bcs and doesn't use Continue().

#9 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:59 AM

It shall be as you recommend. As far as the purple circle goes, I had escaped from the cage, and was rooting through the table full of weapons when the missus called me for supper. On reloading the game, he was purple, and no longer taking my calls.

When I reinstall (now resigned to it), should I also uninstall/reinstall ToB, or is it adequate to use weidu to uninstall all of the components I've added?

#10 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:26 PM

When I reinstall (now resigned to it), should I also uninstall/reinstall ToB, or is it adequate to use weidu to uninstall all of the components I've added?

As long as your WeiDU did not crash during some on your mod's installation, and you did not interrupt WeiDU during installation, you should be able to uninstall mods using WeiDU, then reinstall. It is better to restart from scratch (using multi-install for example), but WeiDU does work well.
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#11 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

I downloaded the multi-install tool, but what I got didn't have any executable files in it, so it wasn't usable.

But thanks. I'll roll the dice, and un-weidu it.

BTW, what does the purple circle mean? Blue/Red/Yellow/Green are all clear enough. Never saw a purple one before.

#12 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:55 AM

BTW, what does the purple circle mean? Blue/Red/Yellow/Green are all clear enough. Never saw a purple one before.

purple is the colour a party member goes when they've been made non-selectable, usually during a cutscene. for example, during the various dream sequences, the rest of the party are in fact purple (and off-scree, so you don't notice). it was the purple bit that made me think you'd saved during or before one of the initial cutscenes in the game - and so when you reloaded yr save, the engine thought you were still in that scene. note that there is lots of flaky behaviour that arises from re-loading the opening area from saves - it's far better, if you can, to play thru to the second level of Irenicus Dungeon before saving and quitting, because frequently ppl experience bizarre issues when they reload saves from the initial area (i've had the new game sequence kick off after reloading a save from the first level, for example).

if and when this happens, it's usually easier just to start a brand new game, and remember not to quit (even if you have to leave the game paused for hours) before you exit the first level. as for why this happens - the area script in the first level does a lot of work: setting the new game, setting the conditions for the various big mods, converting yr BGT character to BG2, etc. plus other mods fix bugs in this script, and others just overwrite whole script blocks or the whole script (none of the mega-install mods do this, but we can't stop other modders who choose to do this); the end result is that the opening area script is a mess, and yr best not to push yr luck by reloading a save from that area. (which by the way, is why i suggested initially starting a new game rather than reinstalling).

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

Okay, I did it again. uninstalled, reformated HD, installed again, followed your instructions to the letter. Including dowloading new versions of everything.

1- Bugfix went in okay.
2- Tortured Souls said there were a few missing files, or maybe another file with the same name. But it claimed to successfully install.
3- SoS had the same comment during weidu installation.
3- TDD 1.11 said there were 100-150 typos during installation. uninstalled it, dowloaded it again from here. Identical outcome. Is the file corrupted here? Anyway, it also claimed to install correctly, despite a great number of typos
4- BP ctd'd 3 times during weidu install, but eventually made it through. Why should it do that?
5- Tweak Pack went okay
6- word map went okay

I get a CTD between a few seconds and a few minutes of loading a save game. Happens when paused, or playing. Doesn't seem to relate to any particular game activity, so far as I can tell. That would be fairly apparent since I keep covering the same ground. Is this symptomatic of a known problem, or am I breaking new ground?
Whether there are other problems I don't know, because you don't get too far with a CTD on average once a minute. I quicksave every 15 seconds or so, but that is starting to look foolish, since I think I'm likely to be scraping it all out and starting again, for the fifth time.

BtW, the worldmap readme says it is incomplatable G3 tweak pack. Is world map mandatory?

Another BtW: where can I get "sensible weapons proficiencies" a la Ashes of Embers, in a form compatable with BP? It urks me to play an Elf Cleric of Correlon Larethian, unable to use his holy symbol weapons, forced instead to use those of Gruumsh.

Thank you for you kind indulgence with my persistant problems.

#14 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hm, that was me, DC by the way. Forgot to log in. Interesting that a guest can post, eh?

#15 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

Hi again. Nobody is replying to this anymore (is it my breath?) but folks are still reading it, so I'll go on. Interestingly enough, I DL'ed TDD 1.11 again, and installed it on my other machine, and I still got the lines about the typos. Too fast to count them, but must be over 100, considering how fast the whole screen scrolls past.

Anyone else ever seen this, or am I in the Twilight Zone?

[TDD/Language/English/AVAUNISJ.TRA] parsed
[TDD/Language/English/AVAUNISJ.TRA] has 12 translation strings
This expression has a typo in the second part: Global("TDDAv1","DD5000")
[DLGCASH/AVAUNISJ.D] parsed
[TDD/Language/English/AVAUNISP.TRA] parsed
[TDD/Language/English/AVAUNISP.TRA] has 10 translation strings

Here's a bit of it. There's lots more. Gosh, wish I could at least 'spell' kule. :blink:

#16 sadun

sadun
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:52 AM

Pls attach your weidu.log.

1- Bugfix went in okay.
2- Tortured Souls said there were a few missing files, or maybe another file with the same name. But it claimed to successfully install.
3- TDD 1.11 said there were 100-150 typos during installation. uninstalled it, dowloaded it again from here. Identical outcome. Is the file corrupted here? Anyway, it also claimed to install correctly, despite a great number of typos
4- BP ctd'd 3 times during weidu install, but eventually made it through. Why should it do that?
5- Tweak Pack went okay
6- word map went okay

Post releated lines in TS,SOS and BP debug file. The typos you get from TDD is not a problem.

#17 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:09 AM

Don`t worry about those typos, they are a weidu thing
but i don`t know anything about misiing files form SoS and TS

#18 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:56 AM

Okay, I did it again. uninstalled, reformated HD, installed again, followed your instructions to the letter. Including dowloading new versions of everything.

1- Bugfix went in okay.
5- Tweak Pack went okay
6- word map went okay

ignore the typos reports; they're simply advice to the person who made the mod that if they wish to port their mod to mac or linux they're going to have to recode those sections. you could argue that those error warnings shouldn't be visible to the user, but that argument has been had and lost, sadly ;) .

I get a CTD between a few seconds and a few minutes of loading a save game. Happens when paused, or playing. Doesn't seem to relate to any particular game activity, so far as I can tell. That would be fairly apparent since I keep covering the same ground. Is this symptomatic of a known problem, or am I breaking new ground?
Whether there are other problems I don't know, because you don't get too far with a CTD on average once a minute. I quicksave every 15 seconds or so, but that is starting to look foolish, since I think I'm likely to be scraping it all out and starting again, for the fifth time.

ok, this and the BP install failure are real issues. the game should not CTD every few minutes, and BP should not fail during install, at all.

the fact that they are point to problems with yr install, at a guess. first: the Fixpack yr installing is the BG2 Fixpack v1, not the old baldurdash or BD-weiduv1.6, or anything stupid like that? second: which version of Tortured Souls are you installing? TS-BP or TS? and which version? you should post yr weidu.log so we can take a look at it; you should also post yr SETUP-BPv177.DEBUG file: it should list the errors yr experiencing installing BP.

my guess is that the constant CTDs are due to bad innate spells: there are a couple of innate spells (that BP fixes, btw...) that are wrong in the original game, and are wrong in several mods (TS, but not TS-BP, amongst others) that will always cause a CTD if they're cast; a number of script mods (the BP Series included) cast these spells at the beginning of combats - causing CTDs whenever there's an enemy anywhere on screen. my guess is that a mod you've installed prior to BP has destructively altered these broken spells, and so BP is failing when it tries to fix them; but it's just a guess, and i could easily be mistaken. we need yr weidu.log and debug files to make sense of what's going wrong.

BtW, the worldmap readme says it is incomplatable G3 tweak pack. Is world map mandatory?

Another BtW: where can I get "sensible weapons proficiencies" a la Ashes of Embers, in a form compatable with BP? It urks me to play an Elf Cleric of Correlon Larethian, unable to use his holy symbol weapons, forced instead to use those of Gruumsh.

worldmap is absolutely mandatory: you won't be able to play yr game without it. the worldmap is only incompatible with one component in the BG2 Tweakpack (the one that alters the worldmap, of course). don't install that component. other than this, however, the worldmap and the BG2 Tweakpack are fully compatible. (note that i'm referring to the BG2 Tweakpack, not the G3 Tweakpack: please upgrade to the BG2 Tweakpack - it's available at G3 - if yr still using the G3 Tweakpack).

and no, there's no equivalent of Ashes of Embers for BP. however, there's no reason why Ashes of Embers won't work with BP, is there?

#19 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

Thank you, extravegantly.

If you live anywhere near Vancouver, PM me, and I'll buy you a very nice sushi dinner. Or excellent Indian, or Thai, or what ever you prefer. So much charity work should not go unrewarded.

Ironically, I didn't get anything to work, but your instructions were so clear, and so articulate, that I KNEW I was doing it all correctly, with nul-results. So I started over on my other computer, and what do you know? It all went perfectly the first time. My faithful machine is kaput. Oh well, a new computer, with 4 times the power will only cost me 300 bucks, so it ain't so bad.

Later

#20 freestone

freestone
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:23 AM

add me to the List!

well hello all.....

it was said,

It shall be as you recommend. As far as the purple circle goes, I had escaped from the cage, and was rooting through the table full of weapons when the missus called me for supper. On reloading the game, he was purple, and no longer taking my calls.

ME TOO!

I can add to his woes, that I began my new game and when i got into the Golem room, i saved
for the night. the next day i loaded up this save to find the stuck purple character, my character.
ALSO!
---his screen shows a blank bottom, no items, no spells, nothing. I can see why it was said
that the game should be played without a save until after one gets out of the lower level dungeon altogther.
[Arena, elderscrolls, anyone?!!]

Now that I have wiped my install, and re-installed up to the patch 98, i may well try again.

can anyone add any more info on this, what happens if i save in the second level and this happens again on my next
re-load.

well maybe now i will have the newer files!

freestone

Edited by freestone, 29 November 2006 - 06:27 AM.