Photo

Which NPC?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Which NPC due you have in your party after leaveing the Underdark? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the fallowing Rangers do you have in your group after finishing the underdark?

1. Minsc (34 votes [54.84%])

Percentage of vote: 54.84%

2. Valygar (6 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. Kivan (6 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

4. PC is Ranger (5 votes [8.06%])

Percentage of vote: 8.06%

5. None (11 votes [17.74%])

Percentage of vote: 17.74%

6. Other Ranger (please post name) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:06 PM

Working on dialogue for a Mod and would like to know which ranger you normally have in your party after leaving the underdark. Kivan would be from Kivan and Deheriana Companions or TDD.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#2 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:23 PM

If not PC, it's Valygar from Bioware NPCs. Can't stand Minsc for some reason. :)

#3 Kitana

Kitana
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

One, sometimes two, depending on the party. I've had PC (archer), Minsc, and Kivan all at once in one game. If my PC isn't a ranger, I will usually have at least one - most often Minsc, but sometimes Kivan, and rarely Valygar.

#4 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:13 PM

Minsc is in almost every party of mine. Valygar a lot less frequently. I've yet to try the Kivan mod.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#5 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

Minsc or Valygar. If I have a ranger in party at all.

Retired from modding.

#6 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:00 PM

Kivan or Minsc - never use Valygar.

#7 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

Kivan definitely. Second choice being Minsc. Very rarely Valygar.

#8 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:42 PM

None:
Minsc is a Berserker, Valygar is a Wizard Slayer -- these are in the party @ Underdark.
Kivan is an Archer, so he'ld be too claustrophobic down there, so he is not in the party.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#9 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:09 AM

I very seldom use a ranger at all. If I do (approx. 2% of my games) then the PC would be a ranger but that is seldom.

ronin

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

In my first game my PC was a ranger and I had both Minsc and Valygar (had no clue in calsses and all...)

Anyhow Minsc is a very good ranger with berserking that I usually take

#11 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:22 PM

If not PC, it's Valygar from Bioware NPCs. Can't stand Minsc for some reason. :)

Blasphemer! *reaches for the logs and torch while Boo goes for the eyes*

Generally Minsc, but I've often had the PC as an archer in the same party (never really used the "ranger" abilities too much; just found the strong ranged attacks irresistible).

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#12 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

Toss up between Minsc and Kivan. I adore Minsc, but feel drawn to Kivan. Talk about polar extremes.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#13 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:59 AM

Goo for the eyes Boo!

These should have been on the poll as well:

Kiyone [Archer] [BTL]
Therrin [Fallen Stalker]
Charlotte [Fallen Stalker] [SoS]
Kivan [Archer] [TDD]
Azrael [Feralan] [CLUA or by scroll with the Trilogy of Crap]
Sime [Cleric/Ranger multi] [TS]

I just love completeness.

*Edit* Why did I list Therrin twice?

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 11 November 2006 - 06:02 PM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#14 Riviera

Riviera

Silmeria, the elven bard

• 355 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

Kivan or Minsc - never use Valygar.

Same with me. My PC is NEVER a ranger.

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#15 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:35 PM

My favorite <CHARNAME> was a dual-wielding ranger. Until I started playing mages, that guy was a serious mofo.

I always have Minsc in my party. Sometimes I'll use Valygar, but he almost always gets dropped for Sarevok in ToB. I despise Kivan, so I never use him. I don't like archers either, so that's a second strike (sorry, but bows just can't do damage fast enough).
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#16 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:23 AM

Minsc, somehow I have him in my party 95% of the time. It just feels like something is missing when I travel to the Asylum and go to the Pirate Captain without Minsc. :)
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#17 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:47 AM

Minsc or Kivan (one or the other, depending upon what sort of party i'm playing).

on extremely rare occasions, Valygar, once or twice: Sime. you can't get Charlotte before chapter 6 without a: cheating; b: enormous amounts of luck; or c: doing NEJ first (you need 100,000gp early in chapter 2 to get access to Soubar prior to chapter 6).

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#18 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:06 PM

I don't like archers either, so that's a second strike (sorry, but bows just can't do damage fast enough).

Wasn't my experience... (Of course, I *did* tend to transfer those useless points from dual-wielding to specialize in Two-Handed Weapons and either two-handed swords or halberds. Somehow it didn't really make sense to me that my charname would have halfway forgotten how to use them since BG1. The 19 STR and DEX from patience on the stat screen and then using tomes in BG1 may also have been a factor...)

Edited by Azkyroth, 08 November 2006 - 01:10 PM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#19 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:03 PM

Minsc or Kivan (one or the other, depending upon what sort of party i'm playing).

on extremely rare occasions, Valygar, once or twice: Sime. you can't get Charlotte before chapter 6 without a: cheating; b: enormous amounts of luck; or c: doing NEJ first (you need 100,000gp early in chapter 2 to get access to Soubar prior to chapter 6).

You know with all the big mods installed, I have never had any problems getting enough loot to sell to earn 100,000 gp before chapter 6. ;)

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#20 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:06 AM

You know with all the big mods installed, I have never had any problems getting enough loot to sell to earn 100,000 gp before chapter 6. ;)

true enough ;) . but Gaelen only appears, offering information, the first time you talk with Selence - which in my experience happens very early in the game (well, early in chapter 2, anyway: usually the first time you enter the Promenade in chapter 2). if you know this conversation is coming you can put it off until you've got 100K gp (or if you've just come out of NEJ you'll have way more than 100K gp) - but otherwise you'll have problems.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||