• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:48 AM

as i posted on the other topic concerning this crash: it's almost certainly caused by GZOMBIE.cre using an incorrect animation. correcting this in the way i describe in the other post (and then re-entering TT0305, after clearing the cache and temp folders) will result in yr game playing normally.

the real question is 'what is causing the return of this bug', and i'd be a little surprised if it wasnt down to a TS instead of TS-BP install.

I have BPv177 and TS-BP v6.09 and I was able to CLUA into TT0305 last night with no problems.

It takes a village...

#22 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

Thanks, Seanas. I tried mucking around in the TS files with just a text editor. Guess how well that went. I'll use NI, and follow your instructions, like I always do.

BTW, I'm using TS-BP6.09 and BPV177. When I get on my other machine, I'll post my weidu log, in case that will help determine which other mod is causing the problem.

John

#23 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:41 PM

"I have BPv177 and TS-BP v6.09 and I was able to CLUA into TT0305 last night with no problems."

Same here. Well, except that I have problems. I'm going to follow Seanas' instructions though, and fix the greater zombies in that room, using NI. I'll let folks know how it works too. (that's the part folks always leave out in these threads. When something works, they don't finish the thread to let everyone know whether a suggestion was effective.)

John

#24 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

I just played through that area tonight and no problems. Also have BP and TS-BP 6.09 installed.

Seanas, erebusant, and chevalier all know more than me :D but this is what I killed (if you are still looking for something beyond the gzombie.cre)

spoiler:

-undead samurai
-greater zombies
-skeleton warriors
-nakanashi acolytes
-Kiotsi (samurai demon looking dude)
-Bone golem

On my last install something got messed up with the animations (they look different this time- before kiotsi looked like an ettin), perhaps your install might have skipped a beat.

Also that damn chromo dragon is following me from TT0304 to TT0305 and back and doing the old wind buffet while staying blue.Wtf?

P.S. Hey Seanas long time no see. :) Hope things are going good for you.

#25 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

this used to be a problem with older versions of BP and TS (ie, BP pre-v171). it was being caused by an animation incompatibility caused by TS. the specific creature was GZOMBIE.cre, using animation ic_histachii. changing this to another animation (eg: ic_mummy) fixed the problem. i would suggest this as the course of action for any player experiencing this issue (you'll need NI or DLTCEP to make these changes).

the real question, for my mind, is why is this problem reappearing now? to the best of my (admittedly outdated) knowledge, there hasnt been a new TS-BP released (but note that users installing TS will experience this crash: this is why TS-BP exists in the first place). if those ppl experiencing this are using TS-BP, then the question is which other mod is altering animations?

The only other mod that I saw the histachii in was NEJ2 in the Snake mts iirc.

#26 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:37 AM

Did your Greater Zombies look like Driders too?

I just played through that area tonight and no problems. Also have BP and TS-BP 6.09 installed.

Seanas, erebusant, and chevalier all know more than me :D but this is what I killed (if you are still looking for something beyond the gzombie.cre)

spoiler:

-undead samurai
-greater zombies
-skeleton warriors
-nakanashi acolytes
-Kiotsi (samurai demon looking dude)
-Bone golem

On my last install something got messed up with the animations (they look different this time- before kiotsi looked like an ettin), perhaps your install might have skipped a beat.

Also that damn chromo dragon is following me from TT0304 to TT0305 and back and doing the old wind buffet while staying blue.Wtf?

P.S. Hey Seanas long time no see. :) Hope things are going good for you.

It takes a village...

#27 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:40 AM

this used to be a problem with older versions of BP and TS (ie, BP pre-v171). it was being caused by an animation incompatibility caused by TS. the specific creature was GZOMBIE.cre, using animation ic_histachii. changing this to another animation (eg: ic_mummy) fixed the problem. i would suggest this as the course of action for any player experiencing this issue (you'll need NI or DLTCEP to make these changes).

the real question, for my mind, is why is this problem reappearing now? to the best of my (admittedly outdated) knowledge, there hasnt been a new TS-BP released (but note that users installing TS will experience this crash: this is why TS-BP exists in the first place). if those ppl experiencing this are using TS-BP, then the question is which other mod is altering animations?

The only other mod that I saw the histachii in was NEJ2 in the Snake mts iirc.

My Greater Zombies use the IC_Histachii animation, do not crash the area, and look like Driders. The Histachii you see in NEJ2 are using the IC_Wight3 animation.

It takes a village...

#28 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

haha. things are going shit. trust me, you dont want to know.

on to the question of animations: the fact that erebusant's ic_histachii shows as a drider and doesn't crash points us in the right direction (and strongly implies it's an animation conflict). looking at DogCavalry's weidu.log, the only thing that jumps out at me is that TS-BP is installed before TDD - possibly there's an implicit ordering requirement here that is being broken. after all, TDD uses variants of the giant zombie, and TS-BP pulls some swift animation alterations to get around the inevitable animation conflicts (thus the zombie-that-looks-like-a-drider) - so concievably, having TDD installed after TS-BP breaks the animaiton workarounds used by TS-BP.

the workaround in this instance is the same: change the animation of GZOMBIE.cre from ic_histachii to ic_mummy using a game editor; the longterm solution is most likely to install TS-BP after TDD and SoS.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#29 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

I hope this is helpful info: I downloaded NI yesterday, along with Java to run it, installed both, learned to use NI at least well enough to comply with Seanas' instructions. Changed GZOMBIE.cre animation from ic_hist ect to ic_mummy, and now everything is fine. Don't know if it would have looked like a drider, cause the game would ctd in under a second before I made the change.

Kudos to all, and most particularly Seanas for exemplary detective work, and for putting this much effort into solving what appears to be a relatively rare problem.

#30 Dog Cavalry

Dog Cavalry
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

No weidu log here yet, but I've complied with Seanas' instructions re NI, changed GZOMBIE animation to ic-mummy, and it is fixed. Hurray, it's a miracle. I hope this info is helpful. BTW, should we merge these 2 threads? I posted to both of them last week, even though they were started months apart, just to see if the two problems were related. But with folks using the latest versions of mods, and this problem happening some of the time, maybe it's back... some of the time.

Anyway, would it be worthwhile, or helpful to anyone, for me to post my weidu log here?

Waiting to comply,

John

#31 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

Sorry to hear that Seanas :o Hope things improve.

Interesting about erebusant's driders. In my last install when in Nej vale of shadows the yetis looked like driders. In my new game they were fine and normal.

Also the greater zombies now look like the the guys who chased you outside of Durlag's tower in BG1 (some kind of undead with a horned helmet - looks cool).

#32 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:04 AM

merged as per request, and i'm glad to hear it was sorted. we don't necessarily need yr weidu log DogCavalry, but i'm curious to know the order you've got TS-BP, TDD, etc - i strongly suspect, as i said above, that TS-BP has to come after TDD (and any other mod that alters animations, altho there arent many of those) in order to avoid this crash.

on a lighter note: i will finally be able to get my stuff out of storage in about a month's time, so work will be able to recommence on a final BP release (and apologies for the absences). let's work on the end of June as a deadline; i'll update the workroom buglist in the middle of June with progress to date.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#33 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:48 AM

No, guys. GZOMBIE bug does nothing with TDD or TS-BP. The bugged one is introduced by BP177. I reported it and its source months (years :)) ago and it's still there 'coz v177 is...
Original GZOMBIE.CRE uses IC_MUMMY animation that is correct one so BP should not touch that overwriting it with a new incorrect file but patch it instead to arrange all necessary additional features.

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
----------------------------------------------
BP Animations Scheme

#34 LuMong

LuMong
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:07 AM

Hi there. I guess I have the same bug that everyone before me. I have the 1.77 BP version installed and the game crashes when I atempt to enter the area(or after I enter to be more precise). Okay. I now know where is the problem. But how can I change this data about Gzombie.cre? To tell the truth you all got me quite confused there...

#35 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:41 AM

Hi there. I guess I have the same bug that everyone before me. I have the 1.77 BP version installed and the game crashes when I atempt to enter the area(or after I enter to be more precise). Okay. I now know where is the problem. But how can I change this data about Gzombie.cre? To tell the truth you all got me quite confused there...

Make a copy of gzombie.cre that's in your override folder, and put it somewhere safe in case you need it. Then copy the gzombie.cre from your TS/cre folder to overwrite the gzombie.cre in your override folder. They're both exactly the same except for the animation type. Give that a try.

It takes a village...

#36 LuMong

LuMong
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:25 PM

Make a copy of gzombie.cre that's in your override folder, and put it somewhere safe in case you need it. Then copy the gzombie.cre from your TS/cre folder to overwrite the gzombie.cre in your override folder. They're both exactly the same except for the animation type. Give that a try.

Thanks a lot. Works for me...