Photo

Romance(s)...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:09 AM

OK... I think this game is buggy, but maybe it's just me who didn't do something I needed to. Here's what happened to me: just after Dantooine, when Disciple gets onboard the Ebon Hawk for the first time, he gets into some sort of argument with Atton that gives me a kind of impression that I might get some private conversations from either or both of them...

And here I am, a good long while later, on Malachor V's surface, and I still haven't got any message from them. I kept waiting on the hope, but now I'm pretty sure I won't be getting any word from either of them. My question: did I miss something? Was I supposed to do anything??? Or was that scene after Dantooine just a stupid sequel-less teaser?

The game's not finished yet, so if I should just keep waiting and something'll happen, please don't post spoilers :)
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:14 AM

I haven't played with female characters so I don't know about that, I do know, however, that romance content was cut to some extend, and that the folks at http://www.team-gizka.org/ are working on restoring that content too.

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

LOL you're doing a great work of marketing for the restoration pack, aren't you ;) Not that I disagree with you. OK, so the romance content was cut, alright, but was it _removed_ altogether??? Because I never saw a single line of it... I would think the "workings" is pretty much the same for M/F characters... is there something you need to do, or are the characters just supposed to talk to you at some point out of their own volition?

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:22 AM

Well, basically they'll either talk to you or you'll have to initiate the dialogue with them once you've gained enough influence with them. If there's nothing... well, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they've cut the rest of it.

#5 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:34 AM

there're no romances, just some NPC banters: the Atton/ Discipline bitching if you play female; some Mira/ Handmaiden/ Visas interactions. if you play female, there's supposed to be a short Disciple scene just after you leave Dantooine having been minced by Kreia, but i've never got it; male characters do get the equivalent scene with Handmaiden, however.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#6 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

That's so annoying. If you don't plan on making things follow suit, then don't do it for starters! I got the scene with Disciple, and he was really heart-warming... I don't know if I've done anything special to get it. I don't think so except reloading five times to finally try another dialogue option to finally get the second half of the masters' dialogue to work. *sigh*

OK... so all that's just for nothing. And btw, who IS Handmaiden?????? And how can you get Hanrarr instead of Mira in your party? Simply be DS when you reach Nar Shaddaa?
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#7 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:08 AM

And btw, who IS Handmaiden?????? And how can you get Hanrarr instead of Mira in your party? Simply be DS when you reach Nar Shaddaa?

Handmaiden is one of the chicks at Atris' ice palace on Telos. You can get her if your PC is male, in which case you won't get Disciple on Dantooine.

You can get Hanharr by being DS when you get to Nar Shaddaa, yes, although I quite like Mira better.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#8 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:34 AM

If I remember correctly, one of Atton's crucial dialog is triggered in one of the planets. You should encounter someone talking about his past. After that, you'll be able to interogate Atton.

As for Disciple, his romance feels somehow less complete compared to Atton.

I hope none of the above info are spoilers..

#9 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:17 AM

SConrad: thanks for the info on Handmaiden/Disciple :)

Celestine: don't worry about spoilers anymore, I just finished the game yesterday night. OK, so those 2 dialogues are all there is to Atton's romance? While those dialogues were alright and interesting... it was good to finally get the feeling that one of the NPCs had a past... I wouldn't consider they qualify as "romance". What I like about romance, mostly, is just the further character development that you get to see. I'd say it was a rather minor development in Atton's case, and even smaller for Disciple. My point remains: if you don't plan to finish something, then don't do it! I'm so frustrated right now because of Malachor's conclusion. I mean, by the Force, where IS Mandalore? I don't suppose he'd be very happy to just stand by in the Ebon Hawk and watch while PC defeats the biggest foes of the galaxy! And what of Bao-Dur? How come you get to be the remote, where IS he while his electronic friend flies around activating the shadow generators? And Disciple? After his big speech about you being the hope for all life in the galaxy, you'd expect him to stick around and try to help out, no? And when the Ebon Hawk falls down in what seems like a bottom-less abyss, is there no one on board? Don't they die from the fall? How come then the Ebon Hawk gets to rescue you in extremis at the end? And what happened between G0-T0 and remote? That's the very WORST case of loose ends I've ever seen!!! That's so frustrating because the game was very excellent, and with so much potential for more (let's just point out lines like "Maybe we'll talk about it later" when you never get a reply), but at the end it's all one big bunch of loose ends! Btw, am I the only one who read "mass shadow generators" and thought: what the hell is that? Where am I supposed to have heard of that? ARGH it's so frustrating! I had fun playing the game throughout but the end was just so frustrating.

And while I'm at it, emptying my heart out, am I the only one who spoke to Admiral Onasi's neck (the damned man wouldn't turn around!) when you meet him on Telos after destroying the Ravager? And am I the only one who got stuck in place at times and had to reload so my character could finally get to move? I finally was so disgusted with the bug that I just hacked myself an invulnerability for the final battle. Even a tank guardian/weapon master with 400 HP can't just stand there and get hacked at by the three floating lightsabers.

What are the folks at TSLRP doing? We need that restoration pack urgently!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DalreïDal, 23 November 2006 - 06:20 AM.

#10 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:54 AM

SConrad: thanks for the info on Handmaiden/Disciple :)

Celestine: don't worry about spoilers anymore, I just finished the game yesterday night. OK, so those 2 dialogues are all there is to Atton's romance? While those dialogues were alright and interesting... it was good to finally get the feeling that one of the NPCs had a past... I wouldn't consider they qualify as "romance". What I like about romance, mostly, is just the further character development that you get to see. I'd say it was a rather minor development in Atton's case, and even smaller for Disciple. My point remains: if you don't plan to finish something, then don't do it! I'm so frustrated right now because of Malachor's conclusion. I mean, by the Force, where IS Mandalore? I don't suppose he'd be very happy to just stand by in the Ebon Hawk and watch while PC defeats the biggest foes of the galaxy! And what of Bao-Dur? How come you get to be the remote, where IS he while his electronic friend flies around activating the shadow generators? And Disciple? After his big speech about you being the hope for all life in the galaxy, you'd expect him to stick around and try to help out, no? And when the Ebon Hawk falls down in what seems like a bottom-less abyss, is there no one on board? Don't they die from the fall? How come then the Ebon Hawk gets to rescue you in extremis at the end? And what happened between G0-T0 and remote? That's the very WORST case of loose ends I've ever seen!!! That's so frustrating because the game was very excellent, and with so much potential for more (let's just point out lines like "Maybe we'll talk about it later" when you never get a reply), but at the end it's all one big bunch of loose ends! Btw, am I the only one who read "mass shadow generators" and thought: what the hell is that? Where am I supposed to have heard of that? ARGH it's so frustrating! I had fun playing the game throughout but the end was just so frustrating.

You do get some hints about the MSG in Bao-Dur's conversations.

As for the "romances", they aren't any more than a few conversations and are disappointing, even compared to the Kotor1 romances. It is a very unfinished game in many ways, in the sense that there is this feel of so much content being just left out. I still like the game, and if it had a proper ending I'd certainly think it was better than K1.

And while I'm at it, emptying my heart out, am I the only one who spoke to Admiral Onasi's neck (the damned man wouldn't turn around!) when you meet him on Telos after destroying the Ravager?

He did that one time when I was playing a DS character - who I suspect would probably have force-deep-fried him for that bit of rudeness.

And am I the only one who got stuck in place at times and had to reload so my character could finally get to move?

It's only happened to me when there have been other characters in the party, when I've just switched to one of them to move on. Have you had it in other cases?

I finally was so disgusted with the bug that I just hacked myself an invulnerability for the final battle. Even a tank guardian/weapon master with 400 HP can't just stand there and get hacked at by the three floating lightsabers.

Verpine shields and especially the energy resistance fore power help. But really you've no need to just stand there hacking away. Use forcce/knight/master speed to get away from them and heal up if you need to, then head back carefully ideally in stealth. You'll probably find that they've spred out looking for you, and you can draw one away from the others. One-on-one they aren't so much of a problem.

What are the folks at TSLRP doing? We need that restoration pack urgently!!!!!!!!!

Bits and pieces keep getting done. I wouldn't bet on seeing everything getting put back myself.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#11 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:55 AM

Lol. Yes I feel your pain. I remember completing the game and sitting there staring at the screen with only one word in my mind. WTF??

The ending is a HUGE let down. It barely makes sense at all.

I think Atton has more dialogs.. I remember feeling there should be more but there were some degree of satisfaction.

Disciple's romance feels more lacking. He's sweet and such but that's about it.
I haven't play the game in a long time now. My Xbox is already collecting dust in the storeroom. A few months ago, I would have written a long rant about it. :D

#12 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

Well, thanks for listening to my ranting, I feel much less frustrated now :)

Bluenose: Ah! Good idea! I would have so liked to fry Admiral Onasi for speaking to the window if I'd been DS too :) But I spoke regularly to Atton's neck in the Ebon Hawk's cockpit too. Seems like my game was just so full of bugs. And all of it on a new install without mods. :angry:

As for the "can't move" bug, it happened to me CONSTANTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was in a multi-character party, when I was by myself, sometimes after casting Knight speed, sometimes after opening a container, sometimes without apparent reason at all. Quick-save/reload became some sort of "wash, rince and repeat" annoying recipe to get rid of the bug. When it happens each five minutes, it gets annoying.

I am an addic of Knight Speed (4 power attacks per round under Battle meditation will get you through 80% of ennemies within one round by the time you reach lvl 22...) and I was very much prepared to get out of range of the floating lightsabers. If my character would have obeyed and moved when I pushed the "w" button. And because I couldn't well save and reload in the middle of a fight with my vitality more than half down, I was stuck to being hacked at by all the damned floating lightsabers together. Hence the invulnerability cheat. I'm always very frustrated when I'm reduced to cheat to see the end of a game. I can't even tell you if the fight was hard, I can only tell you that it's impossible to survive with your feet glued to the ground.

Yes, if the game had had a good ending, it would have been better than KotOR I. But the end of KotOR II is the WORSE let-down/loose-ends-case/disappointment I ever saw.

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:30 AM

Well, as for the ending being bad, I agree. But we have to remember that they were planning to do KotOR 3 at that point already, so it's like a "To Be Continued..." type of thing.

#14 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

Even taking the "to be continued" into account, the end was still bad. I maintain my question: where the hell IS Mandalore? Where are Bao-Dur and Atton? I don't mind being told they can't come with me on the surface because they're trying to repair the Ebon Hawke, and Mandalore can't come because he got roughed up upon landing and Disciple gets to baby-sit him, and that HK and T3 are busy for some reason. It would even be alright to say that Visas can't come otherwise she'll be overwhelmed by the DS. I wouldn't mind that. It's just that you don't get the explanation that it's frustrating. You end up alon on Malachor's surface without buddies without any real reason. And btw, where did Mira go once she defeated Hanrarr? Did she stay behind and were we forced to abandon her on our rather hasty flight from Malachor? And when did Remote overcome G0-T0's programs and manage to activate the mass shadow generators? Really, that's what I meant about loose ends, there's not even the need to invoke the rather badly introduced "to be continued" part. Really. As for KotOR III, I'm not sure I'd care to buy it, seeing how they botched the end of KotOR II and how they made it much more power gaming than KotOR I. But maybe if they finally made one I'd be caught up by all the advertisement into buying it ;)

#15 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:15 AM

Even taking the "to be continued" into account, the end was still bad. I maintain my question: where the hell IS Mandalore? Where are Bao-Dur and Atton? I don't mind being told they can't come with me on the surface because they're trying to repair the Ebon Hawke, and Mandalore can't come because he got roughed up upon landing and Disciple gets to baby-sit him, and that HK and T3 are busy for some reason. It would even be alright to say that Visas can't come otherwise she'll be overwhelmed by the DS. I wouldn't mind that. It's just that you don't get the explanation that it's frustrating. You end up alon on Malachor's surface without buddies without any real reason. And btw, where did Mira go once she defeated Hanrarr? Did she stay behind and were we forced to abandon her on our rather hasty flight from Malachor? And when did Remote overcome G0-T0's programs and manage to activate the mass shadow generators? Really, that's what I meant about loose ends, there's not even the need to invoke the rather badly introduced "to be continued" part. Really. As for KotOR III, I'm not sure I'd care to buy it, seeing how they botched the end of KotOR II and how they made it much more power gaming than KotOR I. But maybe if they finally made one I'd be caught up by all the advertisement into buying it ;)

There was a lot of cut content, unfortunately. In various files you can find some evidence of the intended course of events. To give one example, HK-47 is after G0-T0 and catches up with him in time to resolve the standoff with Remote. The Kotor2 Restoration Project may put some of this back into the game eventually. How they resolve it will depend in some cases on which cut sections they decide to restore.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#16 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:27 AM

Argh, why did they cut the HK/G0-T0 fight! I can just imagine what sort of arrogant exchange of threats they would have, LOL. Argh, too bad they cut it. I hope the restoration project does get finished one of these days...

#17 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:38 AM

Argh, why did they cut the HK/G0-T0 fight! I can just imagine what sort of arrogant exchange of threats they would have, LOL. Argh, too bad they cut it. I hope the restoration project does get finished one of these days...

The unused sound files are still in the game if you are interested. It's not much of a conversation though. -_-

Added a spoiler warning. -AMS

SPOILERS***

SPOILERS***

SPOILERS***

From what I can tell, the scene was cut out because the entire HK factory section was cut out.
Essentially HK-47 manages to capture and torture an HK-50 unit and locate the HK droid-factory on Telos. (The military base where the 2nd shuttle is located.)

If the party does not go to Telos HK factory, in the ending sequence G0T0 will use HK-47 self-preservation mechanism to control HK-47 and use him to hunt down Remote. :ph34r:

If the party does investigate the Telos HK factory where HK-47 "reprograms" and creates a new strain of HK-51 units by teaching them the meaning of "life" (in assassination droid terms :D )

HK-50: "Query: Progenitor unit HK-47, there is something we would know. Why were we created? Do we have a purpose? Why are we commanded to assassinate and kill?"
HK-47: "Statement: It is a long story. But I will keep it short.
Recitation: Once upon a time, organic meatbags bred out of control and filled the galaxy. There are different meatbags across different planets, all bumping into each other.
They talk a great deal and threaten each other for various reasons, mostly involving mating, survival, and resources. It is really quite tiresome.
We were created as a tool for diplomacy among these meatbags. A surgical tool to be sure, to end the lives of organic meatbags that were marked as pivotal to our masters.
We were created as a way of enforcing a certain galactic view of our masters. Of imposing our master's will on the galaxy through extermination of other organics.
It is not our choice who we kill and it is not our choice to determine if we could sacrifice ourselves in the pursuit of our mission."

In the ending sequence, HK-47 calls in a large reinforcement of HK-51 droids and together they blasted G0T0 off the face of Malachor V. :devil:

Edited by Archmage Silver, 29 November 2006 - 06:32 AM.

#18 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, well, everyone keeps talking about all those unused files there's supposed to be lying all around, but... how the hell do you find sound files and listen to it, and how do you find those aforementionned unused files???

#19 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:00 AM

Are the spoiler warning really necessary? :huh:
In my humble opinion, it's really a spoiler since it's not really a part of the official plot. :rolleyes:

But since you are the moderator, you can use and/or abuse your power as you feel is appropriate. :devil:

Yeah, well, everyone keeps talking about all those unused files there's supposed to be lying all around, but... how the hell do you find sound files and listen to it, and how do you find those aforementionned unused files???

In KOtORII You can locate the unused sound files among the used sound files. (i.e. usually located in the appropriately named SOUNDS folder. <_< ) You can listen to the sounds themselves by renaming the WAV files to MP3 files.
Other important (in my opinion) cut content there include:
- Master Vash and her missing apprentice. Which explores Force Bonds and how they can be broken.
- An entire section detailing the internal conflicts in the party on Malachor V.

You have to dig around a bit though. :(
At least in NWNII Obsidian was nice enough to tell you which files were cut. :lol:

#20 AkashaCatBat

AkashaCatBat
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

I know this is really old and no one probably cares any more, but I thought I would add my two cents anyway.

As to defeating the floating light sabers, a quick and easy (although somewhat cheap) way to defeat them is to do as follows.

1. Set as many high-powered explosives up on the long walkway leading up to Kriea as you can.
2. Use an energy shield and boost your speed. Either protection from energy or protection from force helps too.
3. Talk to Kriea. She'll summon the swords.
4. Run back down the long walkway; the swords will follow you but Kreia stays put.

The mines will either take out and/or severely weaken several of the light sabers. I usually only have to seriously deal with one or two. :)

I was a little disappointed with the romances as well. However, it's kind of fitting when you think about it.

Most irritating thing to me about the game was all the times in cutscenes and various other places the NPCs would refer to Revan as "he", when I had chosen the "she" option for Revan.
"In this world of miracles, there's nothing wrong we can't make right." - Feeling Electric

Posted Image