166 replies to this topic

#161 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:43 AM

Hey Shadowhawke!

I swear, you're my most dedicated and faithful reader and reviewer. Thank you so much for sticking with the story despite the repeated delays.

I should be thanking *you* for continuing. :D I'm glad to see you again!

Yeah, life's been hectic, but in a good way! I'd been stuck in Québec city for so long that it was very very good to leave again. I'm a traveller, you see, I tend to get restless after a couple of years in the same place. Although, now that I've been suffering from scorching heat, rash and swelling from usually benign insect bites, and plant allergies - me who NEVER, EVER had any of those reactions to my usual fauna and flora - I kinda want to get back home. But still, I wouldn't trade my time here for a return to Québec. I love it here. Just a little homesick.

Wow, sounds great! I'm glad that you've managed to get travelling again, despite the allergies. I've heard that once that travel bug bites, it's pretty hard to get it to let go. :P

It's funny to think you've read my story before you played the game... I could never much read fanfiction before I finished a game. Although I'm happy to know I've made a story that stands on its own, even without the original game.

Thanks for your steadfast support and appreciation!

*nods* You certainly have, but I'll admit that I do appreciate it much more now I know more of the story! :D

As for this latest chapter of yours... I love the way you portray Aarin here. His character seemed a little flat to me when I played through the OC, although I could feel he was full of potential. You definitely drew that potential out into a very touching friendship here, which was marvellous to read. Seeing Halikoulle and Valen's reactions to him was also hilarious! ^_^

Looking forwards to more, DalreiDal. Thanks again for continuing this story. :D

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#162 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:55 PM

Wow, sounds great! I'm glad that you've managed to get travelling again, despite the allergies. I've heard that once that travel bug bites, it's pretty hard to get it to let go. :P

Oh yeah. Maybe it'd be easier to shake off if I did want it to go away :) But I'm getting old *snicker*, so I guess one of these days I'll turn up with a house, three dogs and a kid to shake off the travelling bug for a couple years at least :)

As for this latest chapter of yours... I love the way you portray Aarin here. His character seemed a little flat to me when I played through the OC, although I could feel he was full of potential. You definitely drew that potential out into a very touching friendship here, which was marvellous to read. Seeing Halikoulle and Valen's reactions to him was also hilarious! ^_^

You did? You found Aarin a little flat? *thinking it over* Well, maybe he was, but I've been so seduced by the voice I could have forgiven him if he was stupid, ugly, and mean. Seriously, I really, REALLY loved that voice acting. So much I've actually written three stories where Aarin gets the happy ending. But one of them's in French, so obviously it won't get published any time soon, and the other, well... never got around to it. I suppose now that Irony of Fate is finished that should mean I have more time to work on revising and publishing some finished stories, but I've started writing another story and it takes up so much of my time...

Days are just too short. Why do we have to work anyway? Oh, right... because I like my work too. Damn. Days are too short!

Speaking of which... have to go work, and since it's been a week, I suppose tonight will be the time to rework another chapter of Out of the Dark and the Mist!!
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#163 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:52 AM

Given that I've recently taken a Shadowdancer character through NWN, this new chapter really was a most enjoyable eye-opener! I liked the way you approached Shadowdancers, especially a fight between two of them. Not to mention, you actually make me really like Aarin's character and you make him feel real... most impressive. :D

Looking forwards to seeing what next is in store!

#164 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

Aiieee! Sorry for the ridiculously late review, DalreiDal. I've actually read your latest chapter three times now, because I enjoyed it so, it's just that something always came up before I finished it and could come and review. :)

Anyway, what can I say? Very sweet - I like how you emphasised the changes Chama underwent throughout your entire story, and the conversations about the Underdark to the elves was touching. I like the reflective way this chapter took to the rest of the story. Not to mention, your little village of elves is very endearing, as were Valen and Chama dancing! A charming touch.

Thanks so much again for sharing this story with us, and I can't wait to see how you're going to wrap this up. :D

#165 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hey DalreiDal!

Great to see you back. :D It sounds like you've been incredibly busy, so I certainly understand why you haven't written for a while.

What can I say? I really enjoyed this chapter; not only was the natural, reflective atmosphere done very well, I also loved the poetry of the moment. There were a few times when I wasn't quite sure what you were trying to say, just in terms of word choice, I think, eg. "The two of them made their way back to the village in accomplice silence." but other than that, it was a very smooth, beautiful read that Valen and Chama's relationship certainly deserved!

Thanks once more for sharing this with us, and I look forwards (with girlish delight) to the wedding and whatever else happens next. :wub:

#166 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

Hey Shadowhawke,

Thanks for the reviews - I can state without a doubt that you've been my very most faithful reviewer! And you've always had blush-inducing good words for me. If you didn't live so darn far I think I'd give you a real-life cookie :) Do you like peanut butter cookies? According to the tabletop D&D crew, I make fairly good ones ;) So, until I find my way to Australia, a virtual :cookie: will have to do :hug:
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#167 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Hey Shadowhawke,

Thanks for the reviews - I can state without a doubt that you've been my very most faithful reviewer! And you've always had blush-inducing good words for me. If you didn't live so darn far I think I'd give you a real-life cookie :) Do you like peanut butter cookies? According to the tabletop D&D crew, I make fairly good ones ;) So, until I find my way to Australia, a virtual :cookie: will have to do :hug:

*munch munch*. Peanut butter cookies are certainly nice, even virtual ones. :D

More importantly, the epilogue you've given us was very touching. It completed the winding down of the story very nicely, and I liked all the different references to the past. Valen worrying about Chama's pregnancy was very cute! And you pulled off the domesticity of it rather well given 'domestic' was never a word I had in mind when I thought of the two!

So yes, thanks so much again for writing this long, glorious story. It's clear to see over the course of it that your writing, pacing and descriptions have matured and grown immeasurably, and it's been a real pleasure to read. :hug:.