22 replies to this topic

#1 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:23 AM

Dear Fans, as far as there are still around, seeing my slow progress,

With great regret I write this message. As can be seen in the progress report I haven't had access to internet in quite a while, as such I have been unable to finish or upload my codes. The delay has caused me agony, however, I can't help it. Whatever I try, it don't work. I tried my best.
As I reckon it will be while for it gets up again and my life will have moved on. I also still feel the after shocks of, as some know, the turmoil in the last year and more. This and the fact that internet will probably remain out for quite a while will probably mean that by time I get it, I'll we be abroad (I hope) and as such I am probably unable to code.
I also must add that the new NeverWinterNights 2, seems to try and take the place of Baldur's Gate, IMO, due i.e. the party interactions, and that has dropped my motivation. This because I fear the place of BG2 as a classic.
All in all, I reckon that my coding will drop to a bare minimum for an undetermined amount of time, which unfortunatly can be forever. I am sorry. I wish to code, but do not always feel like it, and if I would I can't by technological error. If I decide, to really drop the mod I will let you know, but for now it offers little fun and I can't make any progress due to all kinds of factors, so I shouldn't promise things for I hate to break them. I wish it would have been otherwise.
I regret that I can never release the full bug-free version of Kido (v.5) or the much better Ariena version 2.0 and of all of course the mod as its whole. I hope you do not cast anger glares at me.

Sincerely and with truly great regret
and moreso hopefully within a few months in a better mood and better capabilities,

Guido Voets a.k.a. The Deathsangel

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#2 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:34 AM

Damn shame, I was hoping to see this released. :(

Thanks for work put into this, though. Is it possible to publish the quest changing part of this mod (what's been completed so far)?

#3 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:43 AM

Damn shame, I was hoping to see this released. :(

Thanks for work put into this, though. Is it possible to publish the quest changing part of this mod (what's been completed so far)?

I can't releash anything, as said in the previous message, as I have no internet access. I write these messages from work and I need more access than that. What was more or less ready for release are a still needing beta testing version 2 of Ariena, version 5 of Kido. I have some stuff of Ian, I have a new quests and several ideas and bits for others and changes. I do not have the tools to finish this and neither the energy anymore as I am doing this quite alone... I need to time to recharge and do some other stuff and put some things down. As said I haven't given up entirely, but it won't be a lot of updates anymore as already could be seen actually, from the meager amount of messages on my side.

The Deathsangel

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.

Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly

#4 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hello Deathsangel,

I feel sad that you can not complete your work on the MFtW, but also hope that in future, you will have more favorable writing conditions and once again will feel the desire to add some more wickedness to our RP lives :devil:
And if that should not come to pass, please, pretty please, if it should be possible to somehow UL any remaining materials at some point of time -ideas, half-written dialogues, anything, I bet that it would be picked up and worked on further. Or maybe you could give it over to a single volunteer, so that it would keep its integrity? My coding skills are a laugh, so I could not even attempt to do it myself, but someone surely would :rolleyes:

Edited by Tassadar88, 04 December 2006 - 12:54 PM.

The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#5 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:24 AM

Well, your mod is your child and it is hard to give to someone else tassadar. Neither am I at the moment very optimistic about someone else picking it up. Why? Because everytime I try a collabaration it is either put down (and that is the other coders right, don't get me wrong) or if agreed unfinished (Someone would create a new area for me and Ariena's portrait is never finished in example). These things have caused some grief to my naive thinking of getting more help. I mean ideas are good, but I am no artist and alone. And yes, as you can see in for instance the Great NPC overview thread I have a lot of stuff.

However, there is also good news so to say. My gf told me that it was actually a bit wrong to think that if I was abroad I could do nothing. If I put it on USB or CD, it might be actually ice to take along, as I won't always go out when I am abroad (for I wish to work for a company for a few months, though they haven't reacted yet. Anyone that can get me into Intercell? ;)) for you need to be up in time, that it actually might be worthwhile to take the game an programs along and code there, if I get a computer...

Perhaps that isn't a bad idea. Besides, as I said before and shall do so again. This is not a message of mods demise, not truly, but a message of a few months of downtime in the work, for I have to write papers and stuff. I need to find some time to work on some other stuff. The mod, was the best in that, also because of formentioned reasons, to give up for a while. I made a promise and I hardly ever ever break them. Besides, don't think this comes easy. I would love to tilt BG2 to a new level and add much more RP. Still I am afraid that also BG2 might have had its time, yes I know blasphemy, and perhaps that just has to do with my mood. Anyways, this is a message of a pause, at first most, if I truly end this... well proably not knowing me, I just don't have the time right now. What I can say is a date where I will probably around that time might start again. This would be march, but that is about 3 months away and find that long enough to at least post a message saying I pause for a while, for I had said some stuff of Ariena which I can't do now unfortunately

#6 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:26 AM

Sure, I understand. And I hope that this will just be some kind of a MFtW winter sleep :)
Good luck with your job ;)
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#7 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:01 PM

Just don't be so pessimistic. As per NWN2 - it won't replace BG for me, which I'll be playing possibly forever. Good luck.

Retired from modding.

#8 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:53 AM

Sure, I understand. And I hope that this will just be some kind of a MFtW winter sleep
Good luck with your job

Thanks, I hope so to.

Just don't be so pessimistic. As per NWN2 - it won't replace BG for me, which I'll be playing possibly forever. Good luck.

Well, it is not only that as said. It is mainly the bit of too much things to do. More like a 'who, ahh help' (= over acted) stressy situation.

#9 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:27 AM

Such a shame :(

I hope things improve for you and you soon return, motivated and enthusiastic to continue your wonderful contribution to the realms of fantasy.

:hug:
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#10 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

Whatever you wish to do in the future, I wish you good luck with it.
I do sincerely hope you'll finish MftW someday and I won't give up hope.
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#11 Sticz

Sticz

Monkey - In the time of Chimpanzees

• 385 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:13 AM

This is truly unfortunate. Being of the hardcore evil persuasion myself, I was hoping that this would further my sadistic endeavors in the BG2. I hope you get on 'solid footing' again and return to finish this mod.

I would offer to help with the coding, but I am a bit shy about my work and do not pass it out freely :unsure:

Good luck, bud.

Sticz :ph34r:
"For a crazy person, you don't drool much." Complement from Dilbert's Wally.

#12 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

Thanks all, though I truly feel better at the moment to have at least put in a break. Though I truly wish myself to finish it.

To you Sticz; coding help is appreciated as it is much work for one guy and even put things together. However, even if we may venture up that path in the (near) future I can not try to persuade you now, for I can't do much myself and it would be unfair to ask of others something different.

#13 Sticz

Sticz

• 385 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:57 AM

My wife is scheduled for deployment in February-March time-frame. At that point I will have some time in the evenings to do coding (it won't be an imposition as I pretty-much do coding then anyways). Take your break and let me know what you need.

I am fairly skilled, I will just need to see what "style" you are using for your dialogs, what naming sequence you are using for .cre and .itm files (mine looks like alphabet soup, I have no organization skills), and what kind of quests you need. As far as potential party members, I have steered away from this of late, but at one time had about 4 in my mod that all had banters, quests, and interjections.

Shoot me a PM when you are up and able to get back in the swing of things. I will try to devote an evening or two a week to tMftW (I would promise more, but I will be writing a LOT of letters to an APO address in the coming months).

Enjoy your break!

Sticz :ph34r:

EDIT: I may have a little time here and there before the end of FEB, so if you want me to see what I can do, let me know.

CHEERS!

Edited by Sticz, 18 December 2006 - 11:58 AM.

#14 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:08 AM

It has been long since I was here at all, I've done some replaying of BG2 and I think it remains a classic. I'm playing throroughly evil now, trying indept what answers I want to give. As such I am writing down stuff again. I haven't found an internship yet (I so hope Intercell would react...), thus I don't know what my timeframe will be. At mid of march my last course should be finished. I am also writing my thesis report. I hope to finish that end of march, all depending if I finally get internet back or USB sticks start working again (... seems almost like I need a new computer, but it is working fine for the rest). Just want to let you know that still all is like I told. A lot of things to do and some stop at march... I still wish to finish this for I would love to see the RP options as well.

Sticz I have a lot of banter for my NPC's so I don't reckon I need help there, perhaps we can intensify contact from now on. To see how I code stuff, download Kido and Ariena for instance. I must give in that at first I also had alphabet soup for I used the first few letters of stuff to describe the dialogue. I may change that in the future. In quests I am straightforward as you may see. I have a lot .BAMS whom are sweet and which I want to use for unique items. Also a few ideas for new quests and changes in old that just needs some programming and working out. I can give you access to the old discussion boards (now quite dead), and you can see of some of the ideas as general lines. I could give you some more detailed worked out things, if you think you like them, get some of your own in there. I reckon PM contact would be handy.

#15 Keldon

Keldon
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:44 AM

I have just read these posts and, as someone who has been looking forward to the mod for the wicked for a very long time, I would like to extend an offer of assistance.
I am very good at writing, conceptualizing, proofreading etc, but have very little experience with coding. I would be very happy to learn whatever you can show me in regards to coding so that I can then help out with this, if needed.
If there is anything I can do to help, please just let me know!

#16 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:05 AM

@Keldon

Maybe it is time to get a new team. Mind you that the following things:

It is a long time project, so don't get frustrated when it goes to slow
I would like to keep in the end the final vote on things, since it well is my child. However, you need not worry, I am no dictator. ;)

#17 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:53 AM

It's very uplifting when someone breathes some life into a project you don't want to see die.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#18 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:13 PM

Deathsangel, what kind of help do you need?

#19 Sticz

Sticz

• 385 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

No posts her ein so long I started to stop checking here!

Anyways, I will download those NPCs and have a look at them. It may be, as you say, March before I get any real time to do anything. Big deployment and most of my unit, along with my wife, will be deploying. May part should end about March when they ship out. After that, I will have most of my evenings 'free'. Some mod writing may help ease the heartache of 18 months with no wife.

Anyways, I still plug away at my own mod which I have no problem transfering to TMftW. I will see what is there so far and see if there is a way to incorporate any Ideas.

Good luck in your schooling.

Sticz

#20 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:08 AM

Who, sometimes I think God doesn't want me to finish the project... had to go to first aid because of lung problems and now all computers in my studenthouse failed.... hm... I really like to finish this... For the moment I still need to focus, luckily Intercell now has said they have an interest, so I am working my ass of for that. In the meanwhile:

@BGhead: Thanks for the compliment. As I said at the very first post, I had no intention of letting it die. I just really needed a bit of break to get some other stuff of in my life, though I agree I was a bit pesimistic at that time (modders can have that...).

@HERD: Two things are there that you might be able to help with. Since I know you can do portraits. As you may be aware Ariena also has another portrait besides your own. This portrait was to be finished by Khayman, but unfortunatly I think he is too occupied with other stuff to finish it. I found a larger picture of the original portrait (or here (under portraits; first header)) and he would refit the scars of the alternative portrait on that one and try to improve them, as to have a good large portrait for Ariena at the end of ToB and resize those for the rest of the game. Needs adjustment anyway for now too large and copyright problems I reckon.

Maybe, I don't know, you also know something about creating areas. Once Lightspeed said he was interessted and would do it, though the condition was when he felt like it. That is okay for me, but I haven't seem him in ages.... Perhaps I can send you the plans? More info here

@Sticz: Take your time, and when you have the time just make a short list of what is in your mod and how it works, so we can discuss on it, if it it fits with the ideas of TMftW. For instance I thought on your idea of pointing to the merchant man as the guilty one, might not be a too bad idea, but it needs a bit of a tale... cause then murders would continue I think for mister Skinner isn't finished according to the vanilla game. Well, such discussions. Sounds good/reasonable/bad?

Edited by Deathsangel, 02 February 2007 - 02:15 AM.