Exported area crashing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:56 PM

Okay, have been messing around with AR0301.are (the basement of the Thieves guild, when Mae'var is there), and have been having a few problems.

Version 1: My customizations didn't work, so I restored the original areas and did each modification one at a time, to see which one made the game crash. The only changes I made were to file-names (everything from AR0301 to J#0901), and edited the entrances/exits.

Version 2: Instead of exporting the files with WinBiff, I exported them with NI, then made my changes. Still the same crash.

Version 3: Exported the 7 files with WinBiff, made no changes whatsoever, and made sure to clear my cache. Still a crash.

Version 4: Identical to Version 3 except I exported with NI.

I have no idea what could be wrong. In theory the files should be identical, just that one is in a BIF, the other is in the override.

Oh, and using IETME to open the area directly from a BIF, making no changes, then saving it has the same effect. Crashy crashy.

Does anyone have any clues?

#2 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 09 August 2002 - 03:58 PM

The problem appears to be with the .TIS. I'd try to compare the original .TIS with a non-working .TIS, but the functional one is hidden in a BIF, and if I extract it, it'll become non-functional! Aaaaaah!

#3 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 09:02 PM

Hey Ghreyfain

I had encountered a similar problem with AR1202. You can overwrite an .are, but if you include the .tis in the override to an existing area you get a crash... not sure precisely why.

My suggestion is to rename either the .tis... and then have your .wed reference the new name. You can share a .tis that exists in the bif by using another area name. Just point your .are to the existing .wed.

If all you are doing is altering the transit triggers and entrances, you only need to edit the .are. You shouldnt replace any other files. I will find you on ICQ to help you troubleshoot this problem:p

Cuv