Photo

Game Crashes after Character Creation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sabertooth007

Sabertooth007
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:24 AM

I get to finish the character creation and click accept.  The picture with tips appear and before the circle is 1/4 filled it switches over to windowed view and crashes.  I don't have the "windowed" option checked in the display options, I have full screen checked instead.  I noticed it also list only a OpenGL driver and no Direct3D.  I have a GeForce 6800GT

#2 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:16 AM

I get to finish the character creation and click accept. The picture with tips appear and before the circle is 1/4 filled it switches over to windowed view and crashes. I don't have the "windowed" option checked in the display options, I have full screen checked instead. I noticed it also list only a OpenGL driver and no Direct3D. I have a GeForce 6800GT

Please post your WeiDU log.

It takes a village...

#3 Sabertooth007

Sabertooth007
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:43 PM

Here is the text from the file and the attached version as well

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #105 // Additional Hero Quests in Trademeet Wait Until   Hero is Officially Named
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings,   Dwarves, and Gnomes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers   and Stalkers
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in  Wrath Hell Trial
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes
~SETUP-SOS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Over Soubar, v1.11
~SETUP-SOS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Remorhaz walking speed adjustment (for ENGLISH version .EXE ONLY!!!)
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Darkest Day,  v1.11
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #1 // TDD Character Kits
~SETUP-CTB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Check The Bodies, v1.8
~SETUP-TS-BP.TP2~ #0 #0 // TORTURED SOULS v6.09 (BP Compatible Version)
~SETUP-ROT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Region Of Terror, v2.0
~BGT/SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core 1.02
~SETUP-DSOTSC.TP2~ #0 #0 // DSotSC for BGT-Weidu v1.85 Mod
~SETUP-NTOTSC.TP2~ #0 #0 // NTotSC for BGT-Weidu v1.45 Mod
~SETUP-BONEHILL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bone Hill Mod v2.05 (Requires BGT-Weidu or Tutu)
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #0 // Big Picture AI/Enhancement Mod, version 177 weidu (beta)
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #1 // Improved Suldanessallar
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #2 // Improved Spellhold
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #3 // Wand of Orcus Add-In
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #4 // Improved Small Teeth Pass, by Kensai Ryu
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #6 // Kensai Ryu's Improved Crypt King
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #7 // Kensai Ryu's Gnome Fighter/Illusionist in the Docks
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #8 // Improved Random Encounters, by Gebhard Blucher and Kensai Ryu
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #11 // Kuroisan the Acid Kensai, by Westley Weimer
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #12 // The Ritual, by Westley Weimer
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #13 // Improved Xvart Village, for BGT-weidu
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #15 // Ascension for BP
~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Revised worldmap for the Baldur's Gate - including coloured Baldur's Gate map icons -> Installing new Worldmap for use with Mega Modification
~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #2 // Use new worldmap for Throne of Bhaal as well
~SETUP-BGT-FIXPACK FIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // BGT-Fixpack Fix
~SETUP-GUI.TP2~ #0 #7 // Game Graphical User Interface (GUI) -> "Baldur's Gate Trilogy" (Elminster wielding sword)
~SETUP-GUI.TP2~ #0 #5 // "Tortured Souls" - just nice in-game Fonts

#4 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:31 AM

seeing as how you mentioned yr using full-screen, what screen resolution are you using? anything over 1024x768 is going to cause all sorts of strange crashing. if yr using over 1024x768, try reducing to that and seeing if it runs.

failing that, try clearing the cache folder and the temp folder, and trying again. the 1/4 loading screen usually indicates a problem loading the area art - either it randomly got corrupted when it was extracted from teh bif by the game engine, or the bif file is missing.

if clearing the cache and temp folder and trying again doesnt work - are you certain you did a full install of BG1 prior to installing everything else? were there any BG-related CDs or DVDs in any of yr machine's drives when you installed BGT?

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#5 Sabertooth007

Sabertooth007
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:16 AM

I have it at the 800x600 resolution not the 1024x768.

I cleared out the temp and cache (which had just one bif file) and nothing changed it still crashed.

Area000b.bif appeared again in the cache/data folder

I did a full install of BG1.  Removed the CDX mentions.

No cd was in any of my optical drives.

#6 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:06 AM

This doesn't sound like a mod conflict problem, more like a hardware/driver settings problem or some area graphics didn't install.

Can you check 2 things:

1. That your DATA folder has necessary BGT BIF files: AREA0015.bif, AREA3100.bif, AREA3500.bif and others (should be at least 66 bif files starting with AREA).

2. That you can successfully start new game without any mods installed.

#7 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:29 AM

There are about 210 bif files in the data folder. All three of the files you listed are present.

When you say start a new game, do you mean to reinstall Baldurs Gate 1 with expansion and no mod and see if it works. (Yes I am aware of not altering the install in the BG2 dir).

#8 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:04 AM

When you say start a new game, do you mean to reinstall Baldurs Gate 1 with expansion and no mod and see if it works. (Yes I am aware of not altering the install in the BG2 dir).

I mean BG2 + ToB + patch with no other mods.

If you can run unmodded game without problems, try installing mods from your list one by one and checking each time whether the problem has appeared. I'm not sure what else to advise because your weidu.log looks fine and this order has worked well enough for other people.

Just to clarify, you're not using any non-weidu mods besides listed above?

#9 --Sabertooth007--

--Sabertooth007--

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:40 AM

Nope using only the modules list in the post:
BGT world map
Big Picture
Check the Bodies and Chores
DSotSC
BG2 Fixpack
NTotSC
Rot
Shadows over Soubar
SOBH
Darkest Day (v111 I think)

No other mods other than those listed for v177 were used. All versions were the exact ones specified in the instructions.