Could use some assistance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 Faerun

Faerun
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:37 PM

Hello,

I could use some help in planning my run through the entire BG series with mods, as I have no relevant experience and don't want to mess anything up.

Here's what I would like to do:

* Play through BG1 and TotSC with Tutu.
* Continue on to BG2 and ToB with the following mods installed:
- Ascension
- Berserker Minsc
- Kivan
- Xan
- Underrepresented Items
- Flirtpack
- Unfinished Business (quest content only)

What would be the best way to go about doing this while ensuring that I don't experience any major problems? (i.e. crashes, incompatibilty et al)

Related questions:

1. Would I be able to start a new BG2 game if I install Tutu? How is BG2 'unlocked?'
2. Does Tutu add any NPCs to the start of BG2 from BG1?
3. What's the difference between EasyTutu (which I can't find btw) and regular?
4. Do I have to download Tutu first and then Enhancements or does Enhancement have everything I need?
5. Anything I may be overlooking?

I don't know if this is relevant but I use Windows XP HE. Basically, I don't know what I'm doing so almost anything would be helpful to me... order installation, should I install patches or not... and so on.  :wacko:

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated!

If this run through goes well I'll definitely start looking at other mods to try out (I am eagerly anticipating the Imoen Relationship mod.)

#2 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:26 AM

Aren't you already getting help on this (exact same post) at PPG forums?

Edited by Azazello, 19 December 2006 - 01:27 AM.

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:51 AM

Bg mods:
- Install Flirtpack last.

1. Would I be able to start a new BG2 game if I install Tutu? How is BG2 'unlocked?'

- Yes. EasyTutu allows you this. Tutu doesn't.
EasyTutu http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

Tutu/EasyTutu does nothing with BG2 install.

You can play both games with EasyTutu. With Tutu, it is either one or the other - you shall have to uninstall Tutu to play BG2 again.

4. Do I have to download Tutu first and then Enhancements or does Enhancement have everything I need?

I never played with enhancements; can't help you there. I don't see anything essential there, though.

If you want to install Kivan and Xan in BG2, I'd recommend BG1 NPC project for EasyTutu: http://gibberlings3.net/bg1npc

#4 Faerun

Faerun
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:39 PM

Aren't you already getting help on this (exact same post) at PPG forums?

If you mean I posted this at the PPG forums, I did. What's your point?

Edited by Faerun, 19 December 2006 - 01:40 PM.

#5 Faerun

Faerun
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

Bg mods:
- Install Flirtpack last.

- Yes. EasyTutu allows you this. Tutu doesn't.
EasyTutu http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

Tutu/EasyTutu does nothing with BG2 install.

You can play both games with EasyTutu. With Tutu, it is either one or the other - you shall have to uninstall Tutu to play BG2 again.

I never played with enhancements; can't help you there. I don't see anything essential there, though.

If you want to install Kivan and Xan in BG2, I'd recommend BG1 NPC project for EasyTutu: http://gibberlings3.net/bg1npc

Thanks very much.

#6 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:57 PM

If you mean I posted this at the PPG forums, I did. What's your point?

It's bad form to ask the same question on multiple forums, especially since people are trying to help you. As they (probably) don't check whether you've been helped on other forums, you're just wasting their time if you've already got an answer somewhere else. Also, with the multi-forum approach, you come off as impatient and demanding to those who see the different threads, which is likely to yield less assistance.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#7 Faerun

Faerun
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

It's bad form to ask the same question on multiple forums

No it isn't.

especially since people are trying to help you.

Errr I haven't received the help I'm looking for. I'm not sure I'm following your point. I'm only allowed to ask questions at one place? That's just foolish and I don't appreciate your pretentious, snide, conceited attitude.

As they (probably) don't check whether you've been helped on other forums, you're just wasting their time if you've already got an answer somewhere else.

I'm hoping I'll reach different people here, that's the whole point. A lot of my enquiries are not specific questions. Rather, I am trying to learn as much as possible about modding and people's experiences with the specific ones I listed as possible. So I wouldn't be wasting anyone's time. You're also making the false assumption that there is only one specific answer to any and all of my questions.

Also, with the multi-forum approach, you come off as impatient and demanding to those who see the different threads, which is likely to yield less assistance.

Well, I am kind of impatient. I would like to start playing as soon as possible and see no ethical reason why I should seek help at one place only. That is just limiting myself unnecessarily. As for demanding, the tone of my posts is what determines that. I am requesting, not demanding - I think it's obvious.

For all the time you spent analyzing my posts on two different forums you could have done something far more productive and spared me the time I took to respond to you, which was hardly worth it.

#8 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:50 PM

Ouch.

and

Wow.

You single-handedly ruined any chance of your getting 'productive' help on these forums. SConrad is completely right in what he wrote. It was a bit scolding, but had a lot more tact than your reply.

Everything you wrote in your reply shows that you are amazingly able to type with both feet in your mouth.

- Yes, it is bad form to multi-post these n00bie-type kind of questions in different forums. SConrad would know this better than you or I.

- If you haven't received the help you're looking for at PPG, why didn't you write that in your thread over there? I see that members there have been very helpful. You are maligning their assistance to you by coming here and implying they haven't been thorough enough in their help.

- You wrote these statements in the PPG thread:
"Like I said... I don't know what I'm doing."
"I read it but a lot of things aren't clear to me."
"...to be perfectly honest I'm having a tough time following it."

Which is all pretty obvious.

If you had taken the time to actually read thru previous postings - and the instructions, as MacReady several times hinted to you - most of your questions would have been answered. Then whatever remaining questions you had would have been more informed - and more mature.

What's hilarious is that you did the right thing by posting over there, as all of your questions are related specifically to Tutu. None of your questions are about BG in general.

- You want learn all you can about the game? Read. Try. Then ask. Don't post indiscriminately hoping people will spoon-feed you the answers.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#9 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

It's bad form to ask the same question on multiple forums

No it isn't.

*shrugs* Depends on who you ask. I think most people around here would agree with the general sentiment I made in my last post.

Errr I haven't received the help I'm looking for.

I'm sure you'd have better luck without that attitude of yours.

I'm only allowed to ask questions at one place?

I didn't say that. I simply said that I think it's bad form to do so, and that you're more likely to get help with politely asking the right people the right questions at the right place, instead of randomingly trying to wave your arms everywhere you can find.

That's just foolish and I don't appreciate your pretentious, snide, conceited attitude.

Right. And I couldn't care less of what you think of me.

If you don't like anyone disagreeing with the way you do things, you'll need to get a thicker skin. You should also cool down your own attitude before one of them bad-ass moderators comes along and does something naughty.

I'm hoping I'll reach different people here, that's the whole point. A lot of my enquiries are not specific questions. Rather, I am trying to learn as much as possible about modding and people's experiences with the specific ones I listed as possible.

As I was saying, I think you'd have better luck with a different approach. This is not the way to get people to share experiences with you.

You're also making the false assumption that there is only one specific answer to any and all of my questions.

No, I'm not.

Well, I am kind of impatient. I would like to start playing as soon as possible and see no ethical reason why I should seek help at one place only. That is just limiting myself unnecessarily. As for demanding, the tone of my posts is what determines that. I am requesting, not demanding - I think it's obvious.

You'll have to keep in mind that we see numerous of these kinds of posts all the time. For you, all that matters are your topic(s), but what you ask for is hardly something new to the people who visit these forums regularly. That's why we get annoyed when someone comes along and posts the same thing all over the community. I instinctively think "oh, there's another impatient n00b who thinks the world revolves around him and doesn't know a thing about netiquette", and usually don't bother to reply at all.

I'm not saying you're such a person, but it's the impression I get.

For all the time you spent analyzing my posts on two different forums you could have done something far more productive and spared me the time I took to respond to you, which was hardly worth it.

I do productive things all day long, and coming here is relaxation for me. If I did productive things all the time, I would go mad. :)

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#10 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

Ouch.

and

Wow.

You single-handedly ruined any chance of your getting 'productive' help on these forums. SConrad is completely right in what he wrote. It was a bit scolding, but had a lot more tact than your reply.

Everything you wrote in your reply shows that you are amazingly able to type with both feet in your mouth.

- Yes, it is bad form to multi-post these n00bie-type kind of questions in different forums. SConrad would know this better than you or I.

[...]

- You want learn all you can about the game? Read. Try. Then ask. Don't post indiscriminately hoping people will spoon-feed you the answers.

Spot on. Good post, Azazello.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#11 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:00 PM

Is there a way to force people to read all of this: http://catb.org/esr/...-questions.html before they can post a single thread?

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#12 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

http://catb.org/esr/...-questions.html

Heh, that's pretty nifty. I hadn't seen that before.

Thanks, bigg. ;)

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#13 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

Errr I haven't received the help I'm looking for. I'm not sure I'm following your point. I'm only allowed to ask questions at one place? That's just foolish and I don't appreciate your pretentious, snide, conceited attitude.

Welcome to IE modding! If you're looking around for places to ask questions, I strongly encourage you to check out the community over at BlackWyrmLair. They are known for their creativity and tolerance, and I'm sure would be more than happy to help you out. Good luck!
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#14 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:15 PM

If you're looking around for places to ask questions, I strongly encourage you to check out the community over at BlackWyrmLair. They are known for their creativity and tolerance, and I'm sure would be more than happy to help you out. Good luck!

:lol:

:cheers:

:Bow:

#15 Faerun

Faerun
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:56 PM

Ouch.

and

Wow.

You single-handedly ruined any chance of your getting 'productive' help on these forums.

Judging by the low life that has replied so far, I really doubt I ruined my chances of anything.

SConrad is completely right in what he wrote. It was a bit scolding, but had a lot more tact than your reply.

No he's not right. And his reply had no tact whatsoever. It was made just to fuel his own opininion of himself whether he is aware of it or not. I already explained exactly why he is not right with logic, a level head, and no self righteous purpose.

Hehehehe, that's a good one. I am literally stunned and unable to come up with a reply for this one. <_<

No he's not and I already explained why he's not. Maybe this SConrad character is some kind of bigshot to you and you want to expand your e-stature with him but all I have to go on is what I have seen in this thread which is to say nothing more than being snide.

- If you haven't received the help you're looking for at PPG, why didn't you write that in your thread over there?

I did, it has gotten to the point where I doubt I will receive what I am looking for over there.

I see that members there have been very helpful. You are maligning their assistance to you by coming here and implying they haven't been thorough enough in their help.

They haven't been very helpful. In fact, the two people that tried to help basically contradicted each other with their suggstion of order installation. I am not angry at anyone, noone is obliged to help me if they don't want to. I am greatful for those that tried and to those that helped a little. I don't expect anyone to single handedly give me everything I want. Thus, the multiple forum posting. I am not 'implying' anything. I am saying.

- You wrote these statements in the PPG thread:
"Like I said... I don't know what I'm doing."
"I read it but a lot of things aren't clear to me."
"...to be perfectly honest I'm having a tough time following it."

Which is all pretty obvious.

Your point being? As usual you don't have one. Other than being snide, self righteos, unhelpful and ganging up with your e-pals.

If you had taken the time to actually read thru previous postings - and the instructions, as MacReady several times hinted to you - most of your questions would have been answered. Then whatever remaining questions you had would have been more informed - and more mature.

I spent a lot of time reading up on everything I am interested in. However, as a newbie who hasn't been following these things it is difficult to get a grasp of everything. I find that a lot of the guides and information that is available makes assumptions that the reader knows a lot of things. In my case, this is not so. I think you will find that it is very difficult to find information that begins explaining things from scratch.

Besides that, in my experience it is never a bad idea to ask for people's experiences and opinions and try to learn from their knowledge. Whether you have a grasp of what you are looking for or not. I was under the impression that is what forums are for. Nobody is forced to help me. It is obvious to me that you have no desire to help me, in which case you shouldn't have said anything at all and there wouldn't be a problem.

What's hilarious is that you did the right thing by posting over there, as all of your questions are related specifically to Tutu. None of your questions are about BG in general.

Actually, if you bothered to try and understand what I was saying instead of looking to attack me, you would see that my inquiry is rather large in scope and lends itself to people sharing their experiences. The specific questions I posted were more of a guideline and organizational tool for ease of reading.

That is a fool's statement. Learning from other people's experience and knowledge is what forums are all about. I don't have to waste time starting a new game with a bunch of mods, play for hours and then realize there is a problem and I have to start over. That's not prudent. I don't expect people to spoon feed me anything, I simply invited those that wish to share what they know to do so. Nobody can be forced to reply if they don't want to.

I think you will find that communities such as this one will start fading away if rude, obnoxious people like you can spend the time bashing newbies but not helping them out. If you have nothing useful to say just don't say anything at all. Either tell me what you know, direct me to all this information if you're so sure it's already out there, or don't say anything at all.

#16 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:14 PM

You seriously need to take a deep breath and chill out. Not everything that's being said is a personal insult to you. Your insults, however, reach far beyond anything else in this thread.

You come here asking for help, and you offer nothing but impoliteness in return - which is not the correct way of getting assistance. However, if that's how you want it, you might just want to consider leaving before we eat you alive and then throw you out on your arse.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#17 Faerun

Faerun
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

*shrugs* Depends on who you ask. I think most people around here would agree with the general sentiment I made in my last post.

Since when is popular opinion a good argument for correctness?

I'm sure you'd have better luck without that attitude of yours.

Says the newbie bashing bigshot. :rolleyes:

I simply said that I think it's bad form to do so, and that you're more likely to get help with politely asking the right people the right questions at the right place, instead of randomingly trying to wave your arms everywhere you can find.

So two forums out of the whole internet, both related to BG modding, is 'randomingly (lol) trying to wave my arms everywhere I can find?' Interesting.

Right. And I couldn't care less of what you think of me.

That's just as well, because I think you're a limited, childish and rude person.

If you don't like anyone disagreeing with the way you do things, you'll need to get a thicker skin. You should also cool down your own attitude before one of them bad-ass moderators comes along and does something naughty.

So you're implying that moderators hand out punishment for being interested in their community and asking questions around here? That's nice. I really won't be spending much more time here regardless.

As I was saying, I think you'd have better luck with a different approach. This is not the way to get people to share experiences with you.

I am a fairly straightforward person and I don't like to play mind games. My invitation was simple and to the point. As it should be. Nobody has to reply if they don't want to.

You'll have to keep in mind that we see numerous of these kinds of posts all the time. For you, all that matters are your topic(s), but what you ask for is hardly something new to the people who visit these forums regularly.

Oh, I am well aware that it is nothing new to the regulars around here. That is exactly why I asked them. :) Eerlier you seemed to imply that this was the wrong place to ask such questions, now you're saying that the people around here are very knowledgable about what I seek. Nice contradiction.

Let me explain something else to you, right now what is important to me is my topic, yes. But if you had helped me instead, and been nice, I would have learned something and probably be on my way to becoming a productive member of this community because I am very interested in these games and the possibilities they offer. Instead, you have made me leave with no assistance and no desire to do anything more.

That's why we get annoyed when someone comes along and posts the same thing all over the community.

To find what I'm looking for I would have to spend an impractical amount of time sifting through semi related, convoluted information. It should not be necessary to do it. A community should seek to help new people, not send them on an information hunt. If I have spent a long time acquiring certain knowledge, I would be glad to share it with someone new.

I do productive things all day long, and coming here is relaxation for me. If I did productive things all the time, I would go mad. :)

Teaching 'n00bs' about 'netiquette' is very relaxing, I am sure.

#18 Faerun

Faerun
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

You seriously need to take a deep breath and chill out.

I am very chilled. Thanks.

Not everything that's being said is a personal insult to you. Your insults, however, reach far beyond anything else in this thread.

There you go again, trying to make yourself seem like the righteous one with insincere attempts at mediation. Get over youself. I don't know if you're doing it on purpose or if you're not aware of it and it's just your nature, but it's rather annoying.

You come here asking for help, and you offer nothing but impoliteness in return.

I have not been impolite to anyone that has helped. Only responded in kind to you and your ass buddies - who have been anything but helpful.

However, if that's how you want it, you might just want to consider leaving before we eat you alive and then throw you out on your arse.

Listen boy, there isn't shit you can do to me considering I hardly want to spend any more time here. Your hollow threats serve no purpose other than inflating your ego.

#19 Faerun

Faerun
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

Ouch.

and

Wow.

[...]

Spot on. Good post, Azazello.

You may resume sucking each other's dicks. I'm outta here.

#20 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:40 PM

...you are seriously not capable of discussing anything like a rational human being. :huh:

Some of your comments in this thread just screams the name of someone I know. Are you, perchance, related to someone named MPrilla?

Oh, and yes, please get out of here (BWL, as Sim mentioned, would be a far better place for you). And don't come back.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner