Photo

What would YOU like to see in the NPC Interaction Expansion Project?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

I don't believe there's a way to detect if she died BG1, even if the mainchar was imported

With BGT, it would be as simple as
IF ~Dead("Tamoko")~

#42 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:54 PM

The NPC Interaction Expansion Project will not be adding any romances to the existing characters (there might possibly be exceptions in future, but it is highly unlikely).

There will definately NOT be an Imoen Romance in the IEP. I just want to make that clear. There will be a comprehensive Friendship, but no romance. And due to differences between IEP and the Imoen Romance, we won't be making an effort to maintain logical compatibility between the two - and if you install the two together, it is highly probable there will be bugs between the two.

#43 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:21 AM

I like Valygar. I used to hate him, with a passion, but now I like him.

Why? Because he doesn't want to make waves. He puts up with a lot of c*** from the rest of the party, and just wants to keep the peace. Yeah, he isn't thrilled with Mazzy's adoption of him as her squire, but I like to think he can't quite bring himself to break her heart by refusing her. I can almost hear that synapse close in his brain that causes the thought to form: "But it costs me so little. Why not let her think what she wants. It makes her happy, and there's little enough happiness in this world." As this is Valygar we're talking about, the literal translation of his thought process is probably "Whatever."

I completely agree with BGhead here - that's exactly how I see Valygar as well. He is a very one-dimensional character, so I would love to see more of him. Cernd already has more - his past is already shed some light on in the omg-Cernd-has-a-kid-quest. So if I had to choose, I'd take new stuff for Valygar before Cernd.

I would like to suggest that my sister Imoen should get an opportunity to become more than my shadow;

Yep. I would like to point out that Imoen and PC were just as strong in the fight for the throne. They were the last ones of the Bhaalspawn. Think of what would have happened if Imoen had decided to go for the throne instead of giving her bit of the essence away! Imoen has always been in PC's shadow but I think she sort of chose to be there. Still, almost everyone - or atleast the PC's partner - is asking PC what s/he is going to do. Go for the post of God of Murder or not? Why won't they ask Imoen? They all know she's a Bhaalspawn as well.

Also, in SoA Imoen has been gone easily for WEEKS. A lot has happened in that time - there are new people in the party she does not know, they have bumped into and maybe even killed dragons, seen and fought vampires in the streets of Athkatla - and what about that city! Imoen barely stepped on its soil before she was taken. Also the PC might have a loved one. Just think of the moment when the party is going up the first stairs in Bodhi's maze, PC gets a carouselle ride in his/her head and then Aerie/Jaheira/Viconia/Anomen(/Edwin/Kelsey/etc) comes and catches him/her, acting all tender, sweet and caring. Imoen is RIGHT THERE and she hasn't got a clue. "Wh-why is Jaheira of all people holding you like that? :blink:" "What's with the knight in the shining armor, sheesh? :wacko:" etc...

Imoen needs to be filled in. Maybe every NPC would have a talk (maybe with interjections for the others or the PC) with Imoen, telling who they are and how they ended up in the party. That would give her some clues as to what her brother/sister has been doing while she's been gone.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#44 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:25 AM

That is a fantastic point, Ilmatar; I was planning to do an 'introduction to the party' dialogue, so I'm glad someone's thinking along the same lines - and expanding on them! :D

#45 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:22 AM

Also, in SoA Imoen has been gone easily for WEEKS. A lot has happened in that time - there are new people in the party she does not know, they have bumped into and maybe even killed dragons, seen and fought vampires in the streets of Athkatla - and what about that city! Imoen barely stepped on its soil before she was taken. Also the PC might have a loved one. Just think of the moment when the party is going up the first stairs in Bodhi's maze, PC gets a carouselle ride in his/her head and then Aerie/Jaheira/Viconia/Anomen(/Edwin/Kelsey/etc) comes and catches him/her, acting all tender, sweet and caring. Imoen is RIGHT THERE and she hasn't got a clue. "Wh-why is Jaheira of all people holding you like that? :blink:" "What's with the knight in the shining armor, sheesh? :wacko:" etc...

Imoen needs to be filled in. Maybe every NPC would have a talk (maybe with interjections for the others or the PC) with Imoen, telling who they are and how they ended up in the party. That would give her some clues as to what her brother/sister has been doing while she's been gone.

I wonder if you would be kind enough to repeat this sage advice in a general mod discussion forum somewhere.

Mod authors might welcome the suggestion. I know I certainly did!

Especially with romances new to BG2, this would come as a big shock. At present, the only romanceable NPCs with any kind of a continuation into BG2 are Jaheira (who will be part of IEP), Viconia (who will also be part of IEP), Xan and Kivan (both of whom deal with it their own way), but that is changing.

(berelinde puts a note to herself to pen a "catch Imoen up on the details, with an option for the pc to bypass it quiclkly if she doesn't feel that much affection for Imoen" between the PC and Imoen on her BG2 Gavin to-do list)

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#46 Mordokai

Mordokai
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

Yes, yes, yes, oh please, yes! This would be so great too see :D Imoen really needs to get shocked, she is just too carefree. That is not healty. Don't get me wrong, I love Imoen(as much as you can love computer game character, at least), but she needs some characterization. Badly. That part with PC loved one is imo just too great to let is go to waste :) The bolded lines... I love them! That could lead to some great banters.

.... Well, enought of my rambling for today :) I just wanted to express my view of this.

#47 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:44 PM

Consider it definately in :)

#48 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

Also, in SoA Imoen has been gone easily for WEEKS. A lot has happened in that time - there are new people in the party she does not know, they have bumped into and maybe even killed dragons, seen and fought vampires in the streets of Athkatla - and what about that city! Imoen barely stepped on its soil before she was taken. Also the PC might have a loved one. Just think of the moment when the party is going up the first stairs in Bodhi's maze, PC gets a carouselle ride in his/her head and then Aerie/Jaheira/Viconia/Anomen(/Edwin/Kelsey/etc) comes and catches him/her, acting all tender, sweet and caring. Imoen is RIGHT THERE and she hasn't got a clue. "Wh-why is Jaheira of all people holding you like that? " "What's with the knight in the shining armor, sheesh? " etc...

Banter Pack has Imoen's reactions already for Viconia/Jaheira/Anomen/Aerie, and for the other custom romances, the reactions are built into the mods themselves.

#49 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

I'll check it out. :) Knowing me, I may want to rewrite them to be more extensive anyway... XD

#50 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:14 AM

Rewrite? (Rewrite Banter Pack? Blasphemy! :) ) Ah, you meant adding new banters for Imoen vs Bioware romances via IEP, right?

I'm more eager for interjections: not that I am the greatest Imoen fan ever, but during these few times I rushed to Spellhold to save her, I was quite disappointed to notice she doesn't comment on a single mainland quest, from Firkraag to Trademeet.

And, naturally, if there's Valygar's(Nalia's, Cernd's, Jaheira's, Viconia's) friendship path, it will be good to see them comment on Bioware romances/the loss of PC's soul, too. :)

#51 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:17 AM

Yeah, I did. :) Preferably so IEP + Banter pack = work together. Because I love the BP :D

I believe Beyshaliban and MorningGlory are doing Valygar; Theacefes is doing Nalia and SConrad/MorningGlory are doing Cernd, so I'll tell them - thats a fantastic idea.

I'll be doing an SoA runthrough soon for interjection points... :) As soon as Iylos is finished, anyway! Though if anyone has any suggestions, please do post them!

#52 Mordokai

Mordokai
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:21 PM

I believe Beyshaliban and MorningGlory are doing Valygar;

Would you be kind enought to provide the unknowing masses(namely, me :whistling: ) with the link to this project? Haven't heard anything about it, and I would like to check it. And sorry for the offtopic :)

#53 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

If you refer to the NPC IEP your in it's forum. But here is a link for it.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#54 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

Only modders or moderators are able to view that, though I can give access if someone requests it with a valid reason. :)

#55 Mordokai

Mordokai
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

Nevermind, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that last post of mine :blush: Let's just say I misunderstood something :)

Won't happen again, I hope.

#56 Hide and Seek

Hide and Seek
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:31 AM

Yes! I agree completly! I was disappointed that Imoen is just barely more than a "tag-along".
She should definately have more banters, both regarding quests, NPCs, events, Athkatla and the PC romance interest. I'm so glad this was brought up and taken into the fold. :cheers:

The Imoen Romance did have a nice section where Imoen was able to interject and say hello to all new companions, a nice touch to the game. It definately made her more than just a shadow.
Favourite Quotes from BG2
Minsc: Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
Saemon: Pardon?
Aerie: This is gonna hurt you ALOT more than me!
Sarevok: Now I return the favor!
Drizzt: Yes, yes, you have my attention.
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

#57 Discord

Discord
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

Personally, what always bothered me with the original game was how there were three romanceable females for male PCs but only one romanceable male. (who, lets be honest, is a bit of a prat) It would be nice to see that balanced out. Obviously it's a lot of work to write a whole new romance, so perhaps you could talk to the writers of the Valygar and Edwin romances and see if you could include those romances as part of the NPCIEP (giving them full credit for the romances, of course)

This is a neat project, by the way, and I am waiting with anticipation!

#58 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

There are so many mod NPC romances that I don't think the IEP needs to worry about adding more of them.

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#59 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

Whilst adding romances for Edwin, Valygar and even Haer'Dalis are fantastic goals, it's beyond the scope of the IEP currently. While I have absolutely no problem adding these romances to the IEP, I do think that an author gets more recognition when a mod is separate. :) If there is more interest, I'll approach Meira and Laufey... but I think I can safely say that they won't be added to the IEP.

#60 Mordokai

Mordokai
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

I'm not sure if this is in the scope of NPC IEP, but it would probably be cool to see it.

I read about this on PPG forums, so the idea is not mine. But someone mentioned that it would be nice to add drunken banters to the game. You know, party sitting in Copper Coronet after tought battle, drinking themself in drunken stupor, and then having coresponding banters. That alone would be funny enought, but maybe you could pull some friendship situations out of that. I think it's pretty awesome idea.

On a side note, when can we expect the first release of IEP? Two monts back I vowed that I won't play BG2 for a year, and I intend to keep that promise. The next time I start the game again, it would be cool if IEP would be on install list :) So, just out of curiosity(not trying to push anything or anybody), is ten monts good estimate for this mod to be completed?